Nikon d850 "in development"

I guess Nikon need to offer a good after sales service given that their QC is poor resulting in recalls etc ;)
The question is (and no one knows the answer) is what percentage of shutters have actually had a problem. Obviously enough to make Nikon consider a recall; but perhaps its good after sales in that they are replacing shutters which have no issue at all. Has anyone here actually seen the "image shading from shutter" that Nikon are recalling the D750 because of? Its a bit of "damned if they do; damned if they don't".

I've not encountered any issues with the Sony FE bodies I've owned so can't really comment on the repairs service, Sony Pro Support is rolling out to offer greater service so they know it needs addressing.

I guess Nikon need to offer a good after sales service given that their QC is poor resulting in recalls etc ;)

I'm sure the Nikon D850 will be a hit but there isn't anything ground breaking that shouts out to me.

Yeah it's them crappy Sony sensors they insist on using that seems to be cause recall issues. :D

Honestly Sonys customer care is far and away the worst I have ever came across and a quick search online seems to suggest that terrible customer care appears to be the norm rather than the exception to the rule. They will remain Canikons poor relation unless it's something they can resolve, their so called pro service has been talked about for way too long without any sign of it ever actually happening. I have no confidence that if it ever happens that it will be anywhere near good enough.

Last edited:
You made a blanket statement saying the camera was aimed at landscape shooters when all of the commercial advertising states that this isn't the case at all.

Mmm no I didn't. And where does the commercial advertising STATE it is NOT aimed at landscape photographers? ?

You also said that camera shake wouldn't be an issue because all landscape shooters would be using a tripod. /QUOTE]

mmm no I didn't again.

Please get your facts correct before you start stating what I said....

The question is (and no one knows the answer) is what percentage of shutters have actually had a problem. Obviously enough to make Nikon consider a recall; but perhaps its good after sales in that they are replacing shutters which have no issue at all. Has anyone here actually seen the "image shading from shutter" that Nikon are recalling the D750 because of? Its a bit of "damned if they do; damned if they don't".
Yes. There'a a thread about it right here on TP quite recently. I'll see whether I can find it....

OK, here it is: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sensor-lens-defect-or-optical-illusion.660516/

On reflection, this appears to be a shutter problem with a D750. Of course it's hard to be sure that it's exactly the same type of shutter problem which has prompted the D750 recall, because Nikon haven't released any details concerning how the defect manifests. Maybe it's just a coincidence, maybe not.

Last edited:
Sony's biggest issue is at the service end of things when stuff goes wrong, absolutely horrendous making them not an option for anyone that relies on their equipment for work. The others aren't perfect either but Sony are truly awful.
Sony are kids in the photography world whilst nikon ain't and have been around for as long as canon yet still gave p*** poor after sales as you say

Sony are kids in the photography world whilst nikon ain't and have been around for as long as canon yet still gave p*** poor after sales as you say
Sorry but that’s a p*** poor excuse. Sony are not new to consumer electronics and If they threw the experience of Minolta away when they bought them it’s their own fault!

Sorry but that’s a p*** poor excuse. Sony are not new to consumer electronics and If they threw the experience of Minolta away when they bought them it’s their own fault!
End of the day the d850 looks amazing. Tempted to sell my 5d4 for it. Canon rip

I'd like to move to Sony A9s, but moving all my glass over, plus two or three even more expensive bodies makes it somewhat prohibitive. Plus, and more importantly, they feel like I'd rapidly smash them into a million tiny pieces.

If Nikon can hurry up with getting these on the shelves please that'd be great, I'll be having two please...

I'd like to move to Sony A9s, but moving all my glass over, plus two or three even more expensive bodies makes it somewhat prohibitive. Plus, and more importantly, they feel like I'd rapidly smash them into a million tiny pieces.

If Nikon can hurry up with getting these on the shelves please that'd be great, I'll be having two please...

Rumoured to be early September!

Interesting to me... If the silent mode is a true global electronic shutter using even just 1/2 resolution, that could be a game changer IMO. The higher FPS would be beneficial for me as well. And built in focus stacking would be very nice too. The rest of it wouldn't matter to me, and if it has the "broken" dynamic AF modes of the D5/D500 that would be a bit of a negative IMO.

I'll wait on this one, but I could potentially see being able to justify the upgrade.
I can justify it, just can't afford it ;)

I'd never Pre-order again, I'd wait for any teething problems to be ironed out. Plus I'll always wait for the sensor scores just in case there's a D5 type disappointment.

I'd never Pre-order again, I'd wait for any teething problems to be ironed out. Plus I'll always wait for the sensor scores just in case there's a D5 type disappointment.
Hopefully Nikon has sorted out any issues with this camera before it's release. It does seem like Nikons idea of early adopters has been a sort of beta testers. It's something they need to shake off with this release. Other than possible teething issues there is also the 'early adopter penalty' price drop after 6-8 months and the wait for RAW compatibility with Lightroom to consider too.

Ah well a little cheaper than expected at £3500 in the UK!

That's what I was hoping for, really excited to get one.

The spec is exactly what I wanted and unlike Canon with the terrible approach to the 5D IV, Nikon have thrown everything at this from still to video. Well done Nikon, this could be the best all round camera available for a very long time.

I've just made the move to Sony and I have to say these little cameras (and they are little) are built like bricks. I woke up this morning and looked at the confirmed specs of the D850 and thought have I made the right decision. Tough one, but on reflection for me, yes. I'm going to be shooting more video this year so the light weight to put this on a gimbal is a plus. The focus lock on the A9 is absolutely insane, electronic shutter, EVF. Seeing what you shoot is also a bonus, but the glass price is insane unfortunately. I've been a Nikon shooter for 20+ years, 9 of which have been professional. The D700 for me was amazing but since then the quality control and issues seem to have put a damper on things. Three recalls now for the D750 is silly, especially as a full time pro I've not got the time to keep sending things back!

I've just made the move to Sony and I have to say these little cameras (and they are little) are built like bricks. I woke up this morning and looked at the confirmed specs of the D850 and thought have I made the right decision. Tough one, but on reflection for me, yes. I'm going to be shooting more video this year so the light weight to put this on a gimbal is a plus. The focus lock on the A9 is absolutely insane, electronic shutter, EVF. Seeing what you shoot is also a bonus, but the glass price is insane unfortunately. I've been a Nikon shooter for 20+ years, 9 of which have been professional. The D700 for me was amazing but since then the quality control and issues seem to have put a damper on things. Three recalls now for the D750 is silly, especially as a full time pro I've not got the time to keep sending things back!

well lets hope you don't have to send the Sony back as apparently their service is terrible.

well lets hope you don't have to send the Sony back as apparently their service is terrible.
It is from what I hear but having got mine via Panamoz I've got a Panamoz warranty which from what I've heard is fabulous!
For me though, manufacturer isn't important - if it's the right tool to help me do my job then that's what I'll get!

Last edited:
That's what I was hoping for, really excited to get one.

The spec is exactly what I wanted and unlike Canon with the terrible approach to the 5D IV, Nikon have thrown everything at this from still to video. Well done Nikon, this could be the best all round camera available for a very long time.
Yet still will sell less than the 5d4

It is from what I hear but having got mine via Panamoz I've got a Panamoz warranty which from what I've heard is fabulous!
For me though, manufacturer isn't important - if it's the right tool to help me do my job then that's what I'll get!

You spent ALL that money on a VAT avoidance import !!!

You cheating swine - the UK's finances are in a MUCH worse place as a result of this :(

For forgiveness, please send £2,000 to HMRC as a Gift and some TPers may (may) forgive you ;)

Dave

You spent ALL that money on a VAT avoidance import !!!

You cheating swine - the UK's finances are in a MUCH worse place as a result of this :(

For forgiveness, please send £2,000 to HMRC as a Gift and some TPers may (may) forgive you ;)

Dave
Erm..... No !!!! lol
I'm sure there are few weekend warriors who don't tell the tax man about their pastimes too. It's these who are really dragging the economy down. I'm sure if they did we'd have a world class NHS, police on every corner and every kid with 15 A levels!
(Before I get a brick thrown at my windows - I'm joking ok, I know we ALL pay our taxes)

Last edited:
Notice not many bickering and arguing here compared to the 6d2 thread? Why? Because nikon made a worthy upgrade

What's the cost when added to the camera the grip, battery for the grip and charger?

I still don't see why its so much higher here than in the us,No wonder most by grey.
with todays exchange rate its only £2600 and before everyone says they have to add tax if you order out of state you don't have to pay this a lot of time. Even if you did add 20% its still £400 cheaper.

I still don't see why its so much higher here than in the us,No wonder most by grey.
with todays exchange rate its only £2600 and before everyone says they have to add tax if you order out of state you don't have to pay this a lot of time. Even if you did add 20% its still £400 cheaper.
If you order grey you still have to (or should) pay UK VAT! But yes its still £400 cheaper which isn't defendable!

Back