Nikon d850 "in development"

I think there may have been some confusion reading the statistics, but yes overall sales are definitely down like Stuart said. The number of DSLR sales per year have decreased but their overall percentage of the total market sales has increased year on year. Looking at those statistics DSLR sales have reduced from 13 million to 8 million but their overall share of the total number of cameras sold has increased from 21% to 34%, mainly because compact camera sales have dropped massively because of camera phones. that's statistics for you, depending on the side you are on you could say either DSLR sales are down year on year or the sales market share for DSLR has increased year on year (2013 1 in 5 cameras sold was a DSLR, now 1 in 3 cameras sold is a DSLR) just in a decreasing camera sales market.
There shouldn't be any confusion imo, market share wasn't being discussed, Gaz clearly stated "sales" (y)

Last edited:
There shouldn't be any confusion imo, market share wasn't being discussed, Gaz clearly stated "sales" (y)
Yep I'm with you there. The canon rumours stats are using the statistics to their own means to put a positive spin on saying DSLR sales are down but overall the DSLR sales percentage is up.

It's clearer if you work out the stats for all thee.

Total Camera Sales.
2013. 60M.
2016. 23.8M

Breakdown of total sales (yearly market share in %):

Mirrorless:
2013 3M. (5%)
2016 3.1M (13%)

DSLR:
2013 13M. (21%)
2016 8.2M (34%)

Compacts:
2013 44M. (74%)
2016 12.5M (52%)

If you take out compacts and only compare mirrorless and DSLRs, mirrorless sales have increased 10% (from 17% in 2013 to 27% in 2016) whilst DSLRs have dropped 10% (from 83% to 73%). The shocking statistic is total camera sales have dropped 60% in 4 years, DSLRs sales have dropped 37% in 4 years, whilst Mirrorless sales have increased 3% in 4 years during an overal declining camera market so doing well all things considered.

Last edited:
Yep I'm with you there. The canon rumours stats are using the statistics to their own means to put a positive spin on saying DSLR sales are down but overall the DSLR sales percentage is up.

It's clearer if you work out the stats for all thee.

Total Camera Sales.
2013. 60M.
2016. 23.8M

Breakdown of total sales (yearly market share in %):

Mirrorless:
2013 3M. (5%)
2016 3.1M (13%)

DSLR:
2013 13M. (21%)
2016 8.2M (34%)

Compacts:
2013 44M. (74%)
2016 12.5M (52%)

If you take out compacts and only compare mirrorless and DSLRs, mirrorless sales have increased 10% (from 17% in 2013 to 27% in 2016) whilst DSLRs have dropped 10% (from 83% to 73%). The shocking statistic is total camera sales have dropped 60% in 4 years, DSLRs sales have dropped 37% in 4 years, whilst Mirrorless sales have increased 3% in 4 years during an overal declining camera market so doing well all things considered.
Tbh that chart is confusing as it says mirrorless sales in 2013 3million and 2016 3.1million, but then states the sales have dropped by 4%. Something's not right there.

However, if you look at the actual figures published by CIPA the shipment figures are 3.3million in 2013 and 3.16million in 2016, which is a drop of 4%

Last edited:
Tbh that chart is confusing as it says mirrorless sales in 2013 3million and 2016 3.1million, but then states the sales have dropped by 4%. Something's not right there.

However, if you look at the actual figures published by CIPA the shipment figures are 3.3million in 2013 and 3.16million in 2016, which is a drop of 4%
The drop of 4% figure is only comparing 2015 (3.2M) to 2016 (3.1M) and not 2013 to 2016 as that would have been a 3% increase! Stats can easily misleading, it all depends what the statistics are trying to prove.

the reason that camera sales have declined is obvious.
there all being sold on here lol
Best thing you can do is buy used nearly new (a bit like buying a car). I was wondering whether the stats included grey imports. It's unlikely the stats do include grey, it's possible grey has had a small effect on UK sales statistics.

I was wondering whether the stats included grey imports. It's unlikely the stats do include grey, it's possible grey has had a small effect on UK sales statistics.
CIPA figures are total global shipments. At this level they don't distinguish between different countries, markers, or sales channel.

Can anyone hazard a guess what the grey market price is likely going to be. Might get one of these early days rather than wait years

Last edited:
The more I think about the D850 the more I'm actually a bit split, love the 42mp sensor in the A7rii and if its based on that then great, but I also think would I really notice the difference from the D810?

Just wait for the Sony A7R III?
The way Sony are heading, they'll start surpassing DSLR's in every aspect as they seem to be ticking each DSLR advantage off their list, some would argue they already have in some areas. :D

Just wait for the Sony A7R III?
The way Sony are heading, they'll start surpassing DSLR's in every aspect as they seem to be ticking each DSLR advantage off their list, some would argue they already have in some areas. :D
What, they are going to do optical viewfinders! :eek: ;) :LOL:

The more I think about the D850 the more I'm actually a bit split, love the 42mp sensor in the A7rii and if its based on that then great, but I also think would I really notice the difference from the D810?

Well it's pretty much assumed now to be a 46mp so that will be a fair step up from the from the D810.

The question will be how much more it will offer. If it has the the AF system from the D5, decent speed and low light capabilities then I think it will be a great step up and potentially one of the best all round cameras available. I just hope it has a tilt screen as I find that very useful. Having said all that the D810 is such a good camera, way better IMO than anything else in the class at release and even now hard to beat, so I am a little worried Nikon may mess it up, but I'm sure (hope) they wont.

Either way I'll be pre-ordering as soon as it becomes available to pre-order so I can try it for myself. Now just hurry up and release it!

So apparently it will be announced next week, specs as:

45.57 MP
64-25600 ISO with low of 32, high 108,400
Expeed 5 Processor (same as D5)
7 FPS or 9FPS with Grip - buffer depth 51 with 14bit uncompressed raw
153 point AF - expanded coverage
In camera focus stacking
8K Timelapse
4K Video
3.2inch 2.36mil dot LCD
Touch Screen
No AA filter
Electronic shutter live view 6fps
1/4 size AF points
OVF with .75 internal magnification from pentaprism
Silent Shutter Mode
Advanced AWB
10% bigger VF

Last edited:

45.57 MP
In camera focus stacking
8K Timelapse
4K Video
3.2inch 2.36mil dot LCD
Touch Screen
No AA filter
1/4 size AF points
Silent Shutter Mode
Advanced AWB
10% bigger VF
OK. So the press announcement which pre-announced the D850 said that it would be "engineered with a range of new technologies".
Anyone care to try to spot where they are in this list?
Or are they new technologies which make it cheaper for Nikon to build but not actually different from the user perspective?

45.57 MP
In camera focus stacking
8K Timelapse
4K Video
3.2inch 2.36mil dot LCD
Touch Screen
No AA filter
1/4 size AF points
Silent Shutter Mode
Advanced AWB
10% bigger VF
If it has proper 4k not no crop mode rubbish. If so it's game over for canon 5d4

OK. So the press announcement which pre-announced the D850 said that it would be "engineered with a range of new technologies".
Anyone care to try to spot where they are in this list?
Or are they new technologies which make it cheaper for Nikon to build but not actually different from the user perspective?
maybe the new tech, is no shutter faults or recalls on this nikon camera.:confused::p

The d850 will have better af and buffer and iq than the 5d4

Chance for Nikon to move the game on again providing Sony give them a better sensor than they sold them for the D5. They could just use the one from the A7RII. That would be ok.

As for game over for the 5D4 you do talk some cobblers sometimes jonney.

Chance for Nikon to move the game on again providing Sony give them a better sensor than they sold them for the D5. They could just use the one from the A7RII. That would be ok.

As for game over for the 5D4 you do talk some cobblers sometimes jonney.
Don't forget I don't own a single nikon body and lens and own a canon 5d4 just put things in perspective. D850 has huge potential

Hoping this might get launched this week, rumours were pointing to today/tomorrow.
After a borrowing a D750 and doing some motorsport shooting at the weekend I'm keen to pick-up a body that can do motorsport and I'm not paying £4500 for an A9.... loved my D800 so could potentially be tempted to chop in the A7rii if I was going to get similar resolution from a D850, a lot cheaper glass too for what I'd be wanting...

Hoping this might get launched this week, rumours were pointing to today/tomorrow.
After a borrowing a D750 and doing some motorsport shooting at the weekend I'm keen to pick-up a body that can do motorsport and I'm not paying £4500 for an A9.... loved my D800 so could potentially be tempted to chop in the A7rii if I was going to get similar resolution from a D850, a lot cheaper glass too for what I'd be wanting...
Shocking how canon are number one when imo both Sony and nikon produce better more innovative models.

Despite this being a beats of a camera that laughs all over my 5d4. The 5d4 will still sell more than this camera.

Lol

It hopefully should bring the price of the D810 down a bit, which is what I'm after :)

It hopefully should bring the price of the D810 down a bit, which is what I'm after :)
Or push it up to afford the cost of the upgrade :)

more choice on the used market, look for minters with sub 10k clicks. there will be some

Reactions: TG.
Shocking how canon are number one when imo both Sony and nikon produce better more innovative models.

Despite this being a beats of a camera that laughs all over my 5d4. The 5d4 will still sell more than this camera.

It's not game over for the 5d4 then is it.

A9 is £3400 at panamoz. Quite a saving.

Back