Nikon d850 "in development"

I don't have a camera that can shoot at 20 :D

I've only been caught a few times by banding and really I've only ever lost one picture that mattered to me through it but that made me aware and I now use the mechanical shutter if I think it could be a problem. I haven't managed to repair a picture with banding in it, I've tried and I can't, maybe someone with better skills could do it.

Obviously my A7 doesn't have an electronic shutter :D so I'm talking about MFT but I'd imagine it's just the same with other cameras with electronic shutters unless the manufacturer fits something clever to alleviate the problem.
I am wondering, could you select each of the banded blocks in a photo and just adjust the exposure to make the good area's? :D

Maybe any half decent Canon or Nikon will sell more than any Sony because these companies have a huge number of existing users with existing lenses and massive dominance in that market. Even a camera that was objectively half as good as a Sony would sell in massive numbers to these people but for how long? The demographic is aging and shrinking and being nibbled at by the competition so simply not messing it up may not be enough. I'd have thought they'll have to look to the aging/shrinking demographic at some point and make the cameras smaller and lighter whilst also incorporating things that middle aged plus men don't care about but the next upcoming generation will such as the various goodies you get with mirrorless and better connectivity. All the bells and whistles. And they're going to have to be competitive bells and whistles.
But people keep on saying that 'everyone' wants mirrorless, as if to say that Nikon (or Canon) are releasing a duds by still selling DSLRs, when the reality is they are still selling more DSLRs between them than all the many mirrorless cameras put together. Yes, they will have to develop their mirrorless lines, especially Nikon, and that is where the market is going. But not quite there yet. :)

You would think that Nikon will eventually bring a mirrorless camera to the market, but not on their top end high res camera when there are sales to be had. You don't jeopardize sales by potentially messing up an existing line. And not everyone wants a mirrorless camera after all. ;) :LOL:

But people keep on saying that 'everyone' wants mirrorless, as if to say that Nikon (or Canon) are releasing a duds by still selling DSLRs, when the reality is they are still selling more DSLRs between them than all the many mirrorless cameras put together. Yes, they will have to develop their mirrorless lines, especially Nikon, and that is where the market is going. But not quite there yet. :)

You would think that Nikon will eventually bring a mirrorless camera to the market, but not on their top end high res camera when there are sales to be had. You don't jeopardize sales by potentially messing up an existing line. And not everyone wants a mirrorless camera after all. ;) :LOL:

But the trend seems to be clear. DSLR users are largely middle aged and older men and as they age some will switch to lighter models to ease the burden on their aging bodies. There's also the issue of how to replace these dying off older men with a newer generation who wont understand why DSLR's have such poor spec. connectivity wise and why they lack the bells and whistles (whatever they may be) that the younger ones will want.

In my family and little circle there are quite a few cameras but only one DSLR and that person also has mirrorless (an old MFT) and would I know switch to Sony or another mirrorless fully if they could afford to.

Last edited:
But the trend seems to be clear. DSLR users are largely middle aged and older men and as they age some will switch to lighter models to ease the burden on their aging bodies. There's also the issue of how to replace these dying off older men with a newer generation who wont understand why DSLR's have such poor spec. connectivity wise and why they lack the bells and whistles (whatever they may be) that the younger ones will want.

In my family and little circle there are quite a few cameras but only one DSLR and that person also has mirrorless (an old MFT) and would I know switch to Sony or another mirrorless fully if they could afford to.
LOL :D

There's still a tonne of people that imagine big bulky dslrs make them appear more photographyeryish. I went mirror-less so I could look more like a tourist.

Yup but I think those people will be buying entry level bodies and kit lenses.

More than 8fps at the sort of resolution the D850 is going to have is a pretty good achievement especially if they can match that with a decent buffer size.

But the trend seems to be clear. DSLR users are largely middle aged and older men and as they age some will switch to lighter models to ease the burden on their aging bodies.

You don't get out much do you? ;)
Almost everyone I see using a camera has a DSLR and as for 'older men' switching because of weight, this older man often carries a 500mm f4, 300mm f4, two bodies and a tripod & gimbal!

I know the trend, but I am saying the DSLR is not dead yet. ;) The trend is for Electric cars. Even governments are pushing for no Petrol / Diesel, but I'd take a Nissan GTR over a Tesla every day of the week. ;) :LOL: Trends are where things may be (maybe inevitably) going, but it may not be the best option atm for most people, and indeed may not be what most people want.

From my experience, I have seen slightly more women than men on our Adult Education Photography courses, and I would say most of them have been below 40 years old. And of those women, I've seen more with DSLRs than mirrorless over the last few years since mirrorless cameras started to appear. They mainly have the entry/mid sized cameras, as do most of the people on the courses, which are of course not that large and heavy.

Only in a class in January where there more than 3 mirrorless cameras (5 out of 12 people) in any one class. And I have had many classes with no mirrorless cameras, only DSLRs. If the classes continue, that number may rise, but there had never been more than 3 mirrorless cameras in any class until then. So my experience is not necessarily ageing males with DSLRs, though I have no doubt there are a lot of them about. ;) I know, I am one. :LOL:

The DSLR wont die, it has been around many decades so it wont just vanish overnight.... I do think that mirrorless will eventually replace the traditional DSLR.
Who cares, both can take great photos!

More than 8fps at the sort of resolution the D850 is going to have is a pretty good achievement especially if they can match that with a decent buffer size.
I don't think it will be 8fps, but would be nice if it was. I think 6.5 is more likely given the file sizes, maybe 8fps in DX mode.

It's all getting confusing as to whether it will actually have a hybrid viewfinder. Angry photographer was 95% sure it was going to but is now back tracking a bit. Nikon rumors are saying it's unlikely. Still bugs me that Nikon's announcement wasn't the actual spec and just told us what we already knew.

I wish they'd ditch video on DSLR and make them cheaper. I've been looking forward to this camera as it could have everything I've wanted on the D750, ie increased res (for the time I need to crop) but with the option for smaller files, wider AF spread and larger buffer. It needs to have a tilt screen though.

I don't agree about dropping video. As a dual photographer and videographer being able to flick a lever and switch to video is invaluable, it saves carrying an extra kitbag and the quality of the D810 and it's lenses is brilliant, beautiful blurred backgrounds and image quality far far better than my dedicated video cameras. Appreciate not everyone uses video but for those of us that do it's great to have a dual use camera

I don't think it will be 8fps, but would be nice if it was. I think 6.5 is more likely given the file sizes, maybe 8fps in DX mode.

It's all getting confusing as to whether it will actually have a hybrid viewfinder. Angry photographer was 95% sure it was going to but is now back tracking a bit. Nikon rumors are saying it's unlikely. Still bugs me that Nikon's announcement wasn't the actual spec and just told us what we already knew.

I don't see the point of Nikon announcing the camera in this way. It may create 'buzz', but it can also cause a lot of speculation, and some of it wild and OTT, that may make the actual release of the specs a bit of a let down. :rolleyes: Let it go for too long with no updates, and some people may get peed off. :( ;)

I think the FX sensor resolutions, DX crop option, and what memory cards it uses, will determine what is possible as far as frame rate goes.

The D850 has some odd bumps on the viewfinder housing, and as there is no Flash or GPS in there, there is seemingly more space for potentially something else. :thinking: And adding something like an EVF element would certainly justify to some extent the 'new technologies, features and performance enhancements' Nikon said in their press release.

Personally i really enjoy using my A7rii but prefer it with the smaller primes but I'd consider a more "rugged" DSLR for landscape stuff as I'm not convinced yet by the weatherproofness of the A line. The D850 would be nice but just had an email from Clifton Cameras suggesting it might be £3500...... Ouchy!

It's also ready been confirmed as being at least 8fps I thought, I could be wrong though.

Personally i really enjoy using my A7rii but prefer it with the smaller primes but I'd consider a more "rugged" DSLR for landscape stuff as I'm not convinced yet by the weatherproofness of the A line. The D850 would be nice but just had an email from Clifton Cameras suggesting it might be £3500...... Ouchy!
£3500 is what I was expecting tbh to be in the same price bracket as the 5DIV, so no real surprise if that's the case. Even without a hybrid viewfinder it should blow the Canon out of the water, except the dual pixel AF in live view. Will be considerably higher res (although the 30mp of the Canon is more than enough for most), unless something goes drastically wrong it will have better DR and likely noise handling, proper 4K video, tilt screen, likely very similar fps, probably better buffer thanks to xqd, that 8k time lapse thingy, and arguably better AF system. Plus you don't have to use those silly white lenses :sneaky::p

It's also ready been confirmed as being at least 8fps I thought, I could be wrong though.
Has it? That's impressive then (y)

£3500 is what I was expecting tbh to be in the same price bracket as the 5DIV, so no real surprise if that's the case. Even without a hybrid viewfinder it should blow the Canon out of the water, except the dual pixel AF in live view. Will be considerably higher res (although the 30mp of the Canon is more than enough for most), unless something goes drastically wrong it will have better DR and likely noise handling, proper 4K video, tilt screen, likely very similar fps, probably better buffer thanks to xqd, that 8k time lapse thingy, and arguably better AF system. Plus you don't have to use those silly white lenses :sneaky::p

Your right there, in some respects I'm not sure the 5Div is better than the D810.....

Your right there, in some respects I'm not sure the 5Div is better than the D810.....
I don't think it is personally, the only real advantage is the frame rate if you do sports etc. On that basis either the D810 is a bargain, or the 5DIV's overpriced. I think it's the latter.

There's no doubt I'll want the D850. When it'll come within my budget is a different matter. I hope they don't make it any heavier than the D810 though.

I'd be wary of any fps rumours until it is confirmed as the number for FF, and not the DX crop. ;) :LOL:
It wouldn't surprise me, but I'd be happy with 6.5fps FX and 8-9fps DX anyway.

I dunno. The single brief press announcement which sparked all these rumours said that the D850 would be "engineered with a range of new technologies". I'm not seeing any of that here.

DSLR's are pretty well honed now and improvements are at best incremental.

I think Sonys SLT was far more a revolutionary change but came with its own drawbacks.

Price and bulk is what deters most people from a dslr as they do offer the best photo experience not withstanding larger formats.

You don't get out much do you? ;)
Almost everyone I see using a camera has a DSLR and as for 'older men' switching because of weight, this older man often carries a 500mm f4, 300mm f4, two bodies and a tripod & gimbal!

You're on a different planet :D and unfortunately a sample of one doesn't mean a thing :D

I see relatively few DSLR's these days and when I do the chancer are they're APS-C models being used in green square mode with a kit lens and yes the majority are being used by middle aged and older men but don't trust my observations. Trawl the net to the usual; blogs and you may find people saying the same thing.

I know the trend, but I am saying the DSLR is not dead yet. ;)

DSLR's wont die overnight but maybe the industry is on a slippery slope towards something other than traditional (and larger and heavier than a SLR) DSLR cameras with bells and whistles to appeal to a different market. In an area with falling sales Nikon could do something other than the sort of relatively incremental snails pace upgrade and personally I hope they do.

I see relatively few DSLR's these days and when I do the chancer are they're APS-C models being used in green square mode with a kit lens and yes the majority are being used by middle aged and older men

I would hazard a guess that more members on TP use APS-C than FF, though not necessarily on 'Auto'.
My experience is that these are used across the board by 'Joe Public', (although I am one my 'sample group' changes weekly), likely because they are readily available and don't cost the arm & leg initial cost of FF ... and of course many wildlife photographers choose to use the APS-C Nikon D500.

You're on a different planet :D and unfortunately a sample of one doesn't mean a thing :D

I see relatively few DSLR's these days and when I do the chancer are they're APS-C models being used in green square mode with a kit lens and yes the majority are being used by middle aged and older men but don't trust my observations. Trawl the net to the usual; blogs and you may find people saying the same thing.
Tbh when I go on holiday, to wildlife parks, city break etc etc apart from phone cameras the cameras I see the most by far are DSLRs, used by teenagers right through to old men and women. Granted a lot are entry to mid level with kit lenses, but I see far more DSLRs than mirrorless nonetheless.

Not that it matters diddly squat to me, I use what I find most suitable and that's all that matters (y)

Tbh when I go on holiday, to wildlife parks, city break etc etc apart from phone cameras the cameras I see the most by far are DSLRs, used by teenagers right through to old men and women. Granted a lot are entry to mid level with kit lenses, but I see far more DSLRs than mirrorless nonetheless.

Not that it matters diddly squat to me, I use what I find most suitable and that's all that matters (y)

I have to agree, anytime I've been abroad of late I tend to see more and more DSLR's and its almost a novelty to spot mirrorless, the Edinburgh Festival starts next week and I can guarantee I'll see more Canon, Nikon and Pentax DSLR's on the necks of tourists than I will Sony or Fuji mirrorless.... tend to see a fair few Panasonic and Olympus ones though!

Interesting chart here. It shows a huge death of non interchangeable lens cameras and cameras in general.
121 million cameras made in 2010 and 23 million in 2016. I think smartphone cameras are winning to be honest. And winning very big at that.

Infographics-2016-03-1.jpg

I suspect if people went to china/Japan they would see far ore mirrorless.

Angry photographer seems to get his info from rumour sites, then bang out a video at silly o'clock and then try and claim he is in the know and the has a heads up on such things. Will be very amusing if the hybrid vf doesn't come along.

As for fps, what did the Sony a99ii spec at? I think it's 11 fps on a 42mp sensor. So surely that's now the benchmark for dslr?

Angry photographer seems to get his info from rumour sites, then bang out a video at silly o'clock and then try and claim he is in the know and the has a heads up on such things. Will be very amusing if the hybrid vf doesn't come along.

Plus "hybrid vf" is a rather vague term which could mean all sorts of things. Some people take it to mean just being able to switch between EVF and OVF. Others take it to mean being able to overlay more info than just the usual bottom bar of exposure parameters etc. on the OVF. It doesn't make much sense to me -- I can't understand why a photographer would want both an OVF and an EVF. Most of the complaints OVF fans make of EVFs are complaints about earlier poorer EVFs than the best of today's.

As for fps, what did the Sony a99ii spec at? I think it's 11 fps on a 42mp sensor. So surely that's now the benchmark for dslr?
Good point about the A99-II, I'd forgotten about that. Yes that is mighty impressive indeed for such a large MP sensor. I think it's actually 12fps with AE and tracking, which is extremely impressive considering the D5 is 12fps with 'only' a 20mp sensor. Admittedly the Nikon is limited by the mirror movement but the 1DX-II is 14fps.

I can't see the D850 being that high though as it would then beg the question why would you choose the D5 over it, but maybe 8fps isn't out of the question (y).

Interesting from what I see dslrs are still spanking mirrorless from what I see when out and about. We photographed a wedding yesterday lots of camera's around seen over 10 guests with dslrs mostly entry level Nikon's and Canon and of course the one guy with the Nikon full frame who insisted on using his sb-910 for every single photo he took :eek: and 1 with a mirrorless camera, but she was an elderly lady.

Last edited:
Bridge and DLSR's I what I see with the 30 plus group and Phones seem to be what the younger people are using, at least when I'm riding around on my bike

Back