No
    The mode to make it point and shoot ha ha

2. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    What are you doing in the D850 thread ... exit ye exit ye! Wouldn't want you to end up buying a D850 now would we ;) lol

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    rookies likes this.
  3. rookies

rookies

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    No
    And your in here too ha ha

4. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    I know, I was pulling his leg ;)

5. Riz_Guru

Riz_Guru

Name:
    Riz
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Just keep a eye on you to prevent you getting Nikon GAS ;) lol

rookies likes this.
  6. rookies

rookies

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I know and your camera got one how else it makes a better picture. It hidden in the menu lol

7. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was looking for it on my newly aquired D700 then realised it didnt have one lol.blessings

snerkler likes this.
  8. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Even better it dont do video :D

trevorbray, rookies and snerkler like this.
  9. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Found a 'solution' to the WB and I actually prefer it. So using the current WB button it makes it quick to change, but I also have WB set to my top setting on my menu which I have set to the Fn2 button. This way it's best of both worlds, quick WB change but also able to tweak with a two button press if I need to. I'm liking having that Fn2 button, means I can set that to my menu and then use the Fn button on the front for the virtual horizon in the VF, which I find useful. I had to have my menu set to the front AF button on the D750 meaning that I have no quick access to the virtual horizon.

Man oh man have memory cards shot up in price. I've read something that whilst UHS-II SD cards have similar/the same write speeds as XQD that is only their peak speed and XQD have a higher average write speed, is this right?

Also, how do I change flash compensation on the D850? On the D750 there was a flash button next to the bracket button and I could press and hold this whilst rotating the control dial to change Exp comp. I could also set this to just change flash comp or both flash and background comp.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  10. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Ignore the bit about the flash compensation, I've found the flash button on the back of the camera ;)

11. rookies

rookies

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Back of camera though it was on the side above lens

12. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    No there's no pop up flash on the D850 so the button's not there, it's on the back at the side of the LCD.

rookies likes this.
  13. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    OK so these custom menu banks and photo shooting banks are pretty confusing. I see that the custom menu bank allows you to save settings such as AF-C release priory, ISO steps etc etc, and photo shooting banks allow you to save settings for things like file type, file naming etc, but what I really want to do is save exposure settings as well. What I mean by this was that on my D750 I had U1 set up with BBF with AF-S, aperture priority set to f8, ISO 100 etc which I used for landscapes, and U2 set to manual with auto ISO, 1/1000 f8 AF-C for sports and wildlife. Can you do this with the D850? I've tried different banks,but if I change shutter speed or aperture on one of the banks it changes them on them all.

14. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    Nope, despite many requests (including some from some 'high level' pros) Nikon just does not include this feature on this level of camera body.

snerkler likes this.
  15. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Bit crazy that :eek: I often switch between A priority and Manual, often with quite different aperture etc settings. So you can't even save AF-S or AF-C either :facepalm:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  16. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Just discovered that if you turn extended photo menu on then it does save the shutter speed, aperture, ISO (inc auto iso) and shooting mode as well. Doesn't save AF mode, but that's not a biggie. I can set photo shooting menu to the record button and switch between settings on the fly. Pretty happy with that (y)

gramps, trevorbray and gcgraphs like this.
  17. Unlocker

Unlocker

Name:
    Danny
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Has anyone managed to find a deal of any kind on an original MB-D18? As much as it's tempting to just buy a cheap 3rd party one that can get the 9fps I much prefer the feel of the genuine item, just don't want to pay £369 for it! There's not even any grey ones out there, let alone cheaper!

Alternatively, does anyone have a used one they don't use at a reasonable price please?!

18. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Official grips are a rip off and I tend to steer away from them. However, with the D850 I've gone with the genuine one just to be on the safe side that I get 9fps. Build wise I'm really struggling to tell much difference from the Pixel Vertex one I have for my D750. Nikon claim that the MB-D18 is weather resistant but I can't see anything in terms of gaskets etc that would suggest it's any more or less weather resistant than the 3rd party.

You can get grey ones, Panamoz sell them if you ask, but they're still £350.

Riz_Guru likes this.
  19. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Dear god these EL-EN18 batteries for the grip are huge, they're like house bricks :eek::eek: No wonder you get over 4000 shots to one charge ;) Fingers crossed the ExPro batteries give me 9fps.

20. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    The Ex-Pro are fine :)

stevewestern and snerkler like this.
  21. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Yep, just tested them and they work fine and you get the increased fps (y) I've always used ExPro in the past and been happy. £112 for two batteries and a dual charger vs £165 for one Nikon battery plus a further £325 for the charger the ExPro is a no brainer imo.

gramps likes this.
  22. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza

Edit My Images:
    No
    Wagwan. How's the d850? As good as the legendary d750.?

23. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Dunno yet, not had chance to use it properly. On the face of it I really like it, not too dissimilar to the D750 but a bit better here, a bit better there, and I think once I get using it I'll like it even more than the D750. The viewfinder and build are the best I've used, and the AF spread is pretty much perfect for my uses. Outer AF points are more accurate than the D750's too, which is no surprise as they're cross type.

SsSsSsSsSnake and jonneymendoza like this.
  24. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I knew this thread wouldsoon getbigger.
    Glad your enjoying(getting to grips) with yournew camera

snerkler likes this.
  25. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    What did you end up doing - did you adapt your D500 grip or buy a clone, and if so which one? I'd like the option of 9fps but not enough to pay the full nikon grip price. .

26. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    From what I've read the Mcoplus one gives 9fps, but I still opted for the Nikon to be on the safe side.

27. stevewestern

stevewestern

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks - I had read that too, but seem to remember that some were suggesting that you also needed to source other bits to go with it - guess I need to re-read all those pages of debate...

28. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    You need the Nikon BL-5 Battery cover (£28), EL-EN18b battery (£165) and MH-26a charger (£325) which is obviously a hell of an extra expense. However, you can buy the ExPro BL-5 for £10.95, and ExPro EL-EN18 battery and MH-26 charger for £82, or 2x EL-EN18 batteries with charger for £112.

So if you buy Nikon it's £369 (grip) + £28 + £165 + £325 = £887
    Buy Mcoplus and ExPr and it's £86 + £10.95 + £82 = £178.95

Quite a saving buying third party :eek:

stevewestern likes this.
  29. Unlocker

Unlocker

Name:
    Danny
    Edit My Images:
    No
    For £350 I'd just get a UK one and yes, for the 9fps being on the safe side does make some sense, especially as I have picked up all the other genuine bits already.

Just goes to show how much we're overcharged for the camera though when it's as low as £2330 grey!

snerkler likes this.
  30. Unlocker

Unlocker

Name:
    Danny
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Decided to be a sucker and buy a genuine one! :eek:

The whole plan was to sell the D810 & D500 to fund the camera so I suppose their grips can fund the new grip. The D500 grip went for £250 and the D810 one for £135, so it's covered it.

Now to decide where to order it from!

31. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Where have you seen £2330 grey? That's even better than I got :eek:

32. rookies

rookies

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Panamoz will match

33. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    They wouldn't drop that low when I tried. That being said the prices fluctuate all the time depending on exchange rates.

34. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Why, just why lol ;)

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 10.24.51.png

35. Kieran Hayes

Kieran Hayes

Name:
    Kieran
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi All,

I am new to the group and have to say the D850 is a beast of a camera, there is a marked improvement in picture quality over my D810 when pixel peeping I have found.

snerkler, gcgraphs and rookies like this.
  36. Unlocker

Unlocker

Name:
    Danny
    Edit My Images:
    No
    on the 'bay!

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 12.43.08.jpg

37. Unlocker

Unlocker

Name:
    Danny
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Welcome! Still to put mine through it's paces properly yet, can't wait to get it on the 400mm f2.8!

38. Unlocker

Unlocker

Name:
    Danny
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Surely most people who would need that would have a grip too and they're never made for body and grip combination!

39. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Ahh right, fair enough. I don't look for things like that on eBay tbh.

And a trip to supersavers if they were contemplating one ;)

40. rookies

rookies

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Wrong colour for your Toby you need a pink one

snerkler likes this.