Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

Has anyone used the older EL18 batteries from the D4/D4s in the grip and confirm that it works OK and still gives 9fps?

Has anyone used the older EL18 batteries from the D4/D4s in the grip and confirm that it works OK and still gives 9fps?
I use an Ex-Pro EN-EL18 and that works fine with 9fps so I can see no reason why Nikon EN-EL18 wouldn't.

I use an Ex-Pro EN-EL18 and that works fine with 9fps so I can see no reason why Nikon EN-EL18 wouldn't.
Great, thanks That's why I was asking actually as I'd like to buy the ex-pro to save money. Always used ExPro and been happy with them.

For those of you that came to the D850 from a 24mp camera (or similar) have you found that you have to up the shutter speed when hand holding to avoid camera shake due to the higher res? If so roughly by how much?

For those of you that came to the D850 from a 24mp camera (or similar) have you found that you have to up the shutter speed when hand holding to avoid camera shake due to the higher res? If so roughly by how much?

When I had my D800. not really. Are you shaky... your lenses have VR?

When I had my D800. not really. Are you shaky... your lenses have VR?
A bit shaky yeah. Well I'm swapping the 24-120mm VR for the non VR 24-70mm, plus my 18-35mm isn't VR. It's no biggie, just curious ;)

Neighbours!
Fingers crossed. No biggie if I have to pick it up from the depot tbh, won't be able to use it properly until Wednesday anyway (y)

I can't say that I have seen the need to do this.

Looking for a remote shutter release, is the D850 the same connection as the D810, ie DC0?

Looking for a remote shutter release, is the D850 the same connection as the D810, ie DC0?

Don’t have the D810 I’ve got a phottix remote shutter release that I got for my D3 some years ago and works fine with my D850

My D850's been delivered :banana: I don't recognise the name of the person who's signed for it though, I'm hoping it's one of my neighbours and some random hasn't done a runner with it :LOL:

My D850's been delivered :banana: I don't recognise the name of the person who's signed for it though, I'm hoping it's one of my neighbours and some random hasn't done a runner with it :LOL:

Woo hoo but it Wednesday when u get to play

Well I suppose you gotta get the lab coat out

Wow, enjoy your new toy.

Noticed I had a hot pixel on my sensor over the last few days ... showed up as red, always in the same spot.
Found a suggestion to do a sensor clean (2 x back-to-back) and that seems to have resolved it. :)

i have recently purchased the D810 but since then looking at the D850. have to say that unless one is a professional photographer, which I am not, i can't see any justification in getting the D850, considering the jump in purchase price.
For the extra £1,000+ and do away with the flash gun as well just is not worth it. The extra Mp the D850 has can be met by the d810 with a longer lens so I don't think that would persuade anyone on that basis alone, AS for the other improvement most I bet can be achieved in PP, but that would take up time.

Using the D850 as a business tool certainly, but for hobby use???

Just my thoughts. Oh and by the way I could very easily afford to buy a couple without blinking, but I just can't justify the price jump for so very little gain

Last edited:

Attachments

• Clean-Room-System-In-Sterile-Pharmaceutical-110935238528475.jpg
    Clean-Room-System-In-Sterile-Pharmaceutical-110935238528475.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 11
:popcorn:Well Toby,any thoughts so far?:beer::jaffa:
Not had chance to have a play tbh, took all night for the battery to charge. Will have a play tomorrow and then give it a proper test on Wednesday (y)

i have recently purchased the D810 but since then looking at the D850. have to say that unless one is a professional photographer, which I am not, i can't see any justification in getting the D850, considering the jump in purchase price.
For the extra £1,000+ and do away with the flash gun as well just is not worth it. The extra Mp the D850 has can be met by the d810 with a longer lens so I don't think that would persuade anyone on that basis alone, AS for the other improvement most I bet can be achieved in PP, but that would take up time.

Just my thoughts. Oh and by the way I could very easily afford to buy a couple without blinking, but I just can't justify the price jump for so very little gain
You could argue that about most upgrades though, in terms of the final result they make very little difference. Even my swap from the D750 will show very little difference for most things, especially at normal viewing sizes.

The same can be said about lenses, for example are the results from a 600mm f4 £10,000 better than the ones from a 150-600mm? Better yes, but £10,000 better? Only the individual can decide whether the cost is justified (y).

Using a longer lens only helps if you need reach - I need wide most of the time :)

There are things that make it interesting for me as a landscape photographer using a D810.
That tilting screen would be a big help - shame about portrait though.
Focus peaking - yes please
Focus stacking - oh yes :)
Better display
Really don't need a flash - would rather have the camera as waterproof as possible and no pop up flash must help with that.

I wasn't tempted when the D850 first came out, but as the price continues to fall I am.

Dave.

:popcorn:Well Toby,any thoughts so far?:beer::jaffa:
OK, had a quick play this morning and here's my initial thoughts:-

Viewfinder,... wow. I've never found the D750's viewfinder lacking in any way but the size of the D850's is great and does help see the frame better. Going back to the D750's after kind of reminds me of how it felt using the D7200 after using the D750.

AF. Not had a proper chance to try it, but just using AF-S it does feel snappier. I wasn't expecting to notice any difference in this mode so this was a surprise

Build. Again never had an issue with the D750 and always thought that it was well built, but the D850 is quite a step up, feels a proper tank. Going back to the D750 makes it almost feel a bit toy like. Clearly it's not, it's a great camera and I've been very happy with mine, but that's kinda how it feels when you quickly swap from one to the other.

Ergonomics will take some time to know for sure, but so far so good. Can't say I prefer one or the other.

I do prefer the metering button placement of the D750 being on the right, and I don't think it's just familiarity as I like that I can change metering mode one handed so to speak on the D750. Also, now that they've given the D850 a dedicated ISO button rather than allowing the record button to be assigned to ISO it's kinda made the record button redundant to me as whilst you can assign functions to it you can't assign any functions that are useful to me. I also prefer on the D750 that when you press the WB button it brings it up on the LCD allowing you to see the changes more easily, and also allows you to do fine WB colour tweaking on the fly. Any idea whether you can do this on the D850?

I don't think the 'nipple' is something that I'm going to use either. It feels more natural to me to use the multi selector to move the AF points, plus you can't set the nipple to return AF point to the centre (or at least I haven't found it yet) so if you move the AF point with the nipple but then want to centre it fast you have to move down to the multiselector anyway. Where I will find the nipple very useful is having centre press set to AEL lock, meaning that I've got a dedicated AF-ON and AEL buttons rather than one button that you can set to either or. So the nipple's useful for AF point for those that want it, for folk like me it just becomes another useful function button so it's win win.

The D850 is sharp as a sharp thing and highly detailed, just viewing on the LCD it's clear to see the benefits of the lack of AA filter, and of course extra res, I'm going to have to be more subtle with the old sharpening in post I feel ;)

Shutter sound is nicer on the D850, but what surprised me is that you can feel the shutter/mirror movement when you take a shot. Doesn't affect the image in any way, doesn't affect the usability in any way, and I kinda like it as it feels mechanical, was just a surprise that's all so thought I'd mention it. I don't know whether it's the larger mirror, the new damped mirror, the more durable shutter or what, and I don't really care :LOL:

So, not much of a review granted but it's not been put through it's paces as yet. Initial impressions are very positive though and I think I'm going to love the extra res and detail. Oh, and did I mention how nice that viewfinder is ;)

OK, had a quick play this morning and here's my initial thoughts:-

Viewfinder,... wow. I've never found the D750's viewfinder lacking in any way but the size of the D850's is great and does help see the frame better. Going back to the D750's after kind of reminds me of how it felt using the D7200 after using the D750.

AF. Not had a proper chance to try it, but just using AF-S it does feel snappier. I wasn't expecting to notice any difference in this mode so this was a surprise

Build. Again never had an issue with the D750 and always thought that it was well built, but the D850 is quite a step up, feels a proper tank. Going back to the D750 makes it almost feel a bit toy like. Clearly it's not, it's a great camera and I've been very happy with mine, but that's kinda how it feels when you quickly swap from one to the other.

Ergonomics will take some time to know for sure, but so far so good. Can't say I prefer one or the other.

I do prefer the metering button placement of the D750 being on the right, and I don't think it's just familiarity as I like that I can change metering mode one handed so to speak on the D750. Also, now that they've given the D850 a dedicated ISO button rather than allowing the record button to be assigned to ISO it's kinda made the record button redundant to me as whilst you can assign functions to it you can't assign any functions that are useful to me. I also prefer on the D750 that when you press the WB button it brings it up on the LCD allowing you to see the changes more easily, and also allows you to do fine WB colour tweaking on the fly. Any idea whether you can do this on the D850?

I don't think the 'nipple' is something that I'm going to use either. It feels more natural to me to use the multi selector to move the AF points, plus you can't set the nipple to return AF point to the centre (or at least I haven't found it yet) so if you move the AF point with the nipple but then want to centre it fast you have to move down to the multiselector anyway. Where I will find the nipple very useful is having centre press set to AEL lock, meaning that I've got a dedicated AF-ON and AEL buttons rather than one button that you can set to either or. So the nipple's useful for AF point for those that want it, for folk like me it just becomes another useful function button so it's win win.

The D850 is sharp as a sharp thing and highly detailed, just viewing on the LCD it's clear to see the benefits of the lack of AA filter, and of course extra res, I'm going to have to be more subtle with the old sharpening in post I feel ;)

Shutter sound is nicer on the D850, but what surprised me is that you can feel the shutter/mirror movement when you take a shot. Doesn't affect the image in any way, doesn't affect the usability in any way, and I kinda like it as it feels mechanical, was just a surprise that's all so thought I'd mention it. I don't know whether it's the larger mirror, the new damped mirror, the more durable shutter or what, and I don't really care :LOL:

So, not much of a review granted but it's not been put through it's paces as yet. Initial impressions are very positive though and I think I'm going to love the extra res and detail. Oh, and did I mention how nice that viewfinder is ;)
Sounds great,looking forward to some shots,
Ps Ps whats the scene mode like :D

Back