Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

They look to be taken from a fair distance away. If you don't mind me asking, what lens was used?

They look to be taken from a fair distance away. If you don't mind me asking, what lens was used?

If you are asking about my 'Show' shots, they were from a distance.
I decided to go with the lightest option available to me which was the D850 with my 300 f4 PF lens (a real lightweight gem!) but it was the wrong decision for this specific venue as it was just too long. I had the alternatives of 28-70 F2.8 and 80-200 f2.8 but just didn't want to carry the extra weight ... a mistake and I should have realised that from a visit to my last country show a few years ago with a 70-200 f2.8. :)

Many thanks for your reply. Nice and sharp/ images. Looks like a handy lens.

Can anyone with experience of both the D850 and D810 tell me in just single point focus mode how much better the D850 is? I shot some football shots yesterday with the D810 and got about 1 in 3 shots sharp and in focus. The only thing making me want to upgrade to the D850 is the promise of better af but if it's similar to the D810 in single point mode then i won't bother i don't think. Any opinions from people that have used both please?

I am surprised that you are getting AF issues with the D810, although I feel you are making it hard for yourself using single-point for action sport (possibly due to my own limitations). I wouldn't necessarily say you would have greater success with a D850, there are a range of reasons why it is a better camera but single-point AF as a single issue isn't the reason to change. Have you tried a different AF option?

I haven't no gramps as I always thought the middle centre point was the most accurate, Would you recommend one of the D9 or D51 ones? I think they are called that.

I haven't no gramps as I always thought the middle centre point was the most accurate, Would you recommend one of the D9 or D51 ones? I think they are called that.

Personally I find single-point much more challenging for a moving target, some do have success but it leads to more failures for me.
I use Group Area-AF with a high degree of accuracy but D9 also works quite well, I have used Auto sometimes but avoid 3D as being the most unreliable, though some have success with it. :)

Ok brilliant thanks gramps. I'm going to try group area af and D9. See which I find has the most success. Thanks a lot!

Ok brilliant thanks gramps. I'm going to try group area af and D9. See which I find has the most success. Thanks a lot!
I tend to use single point for sports such as running and boxing (not shot football). I've tried 3d but don't find it that great tbh. Have you changed the 'stickiness' of the AF (focus tracking with lock on), I have mine on full which mean that when you obtain focus the AF does not change straight away if you 'slip off' the subject or something else momentarily blocks the subject.

I will have a look at that focus tracking with lock on and try different settings snerkler. It hopefully will make a difference too. Thanks

What is it with Nikon and their sensors getting dirty. D850’s already got several spots on it and my D750 needed cleaning pretty often. It’s very very rare I change lenses in the field and I never leave the body without a lens or cap on.

Bought myself some cleaning swaps for the first time ever as I get frustrated with the sensorklear pen and butterfly brush as it takes at least half a dozen attempts to get it completely clean :dummy:

What is it with Nikon and their sensors getting dirty. D850’s already got several spots on it and my D750 needed cleaning pretty often. It’s very very rare I change lenses in the field and I never leave the body without a lens or cap on.

Bought myself some cleaning swaps for the first time ever as I get frustrated with the sensorklear pen and butterfly brush as it takes at least half a dozen attempts to get it completely clean :dummy:

Got the sensor cleaning setting on?

Got the sensor cleaning setting on?
No, I’ve never found it particularly effective tbh. Maybe once I’ve cleaned it I’ll set it to automatically clean every time the camera’s turned off and see how long it takes before it gets dirty again.

Tbh though on both cameras I think some of the spots are oil rather than dust but I’m not sure. Certainly don’t shift with the camera self clean, rocket blower or gentle ‘wipe’ with the sensorklear pen.

Finally collected my D850 and 50mm lens and WOW!!! What a superb camera!! I can believe the quality of the photos that come out of it. Sorting pictures now and will be posting some examples, but I love the camera for night markets, just brilliant! Will be biting the bullet and looking for Nikon 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and a macro lens (so if you have a good example for sale please let me know - I dont live in the UK, so doesnt have to be a UK bought one) shortly. Currently in Taiwan, but will be back in the UK at the end of the month.

I will be having a look in Hong Kong for some 2nd hand lenses, as I will be able to test and throughly checkout before I buy. Going to need a bigger bag I guess.....

Last edited:

No worse then any mirrorless camera though where the sensor is exposed

No, I’ve never found it particularly effective tbh. Maybe once I’ve cleaned it I’ll set it to automatically clean every time the camera’s turned off and see how long it takes before it gets dirty again.

Tbh though on both cameras I think some of the spots are oil rather than dust but I’m not sure. Certainly don’t shift with the camera self clean, rocket blower or gentle ‘wipe’ with the sensorklear pen.

I've always used the auto clean facility and can't say that I've noticed a big problem with sensor spots in any camera I've had.
I've had the odd dust bunny but never a 'problem' with spots and I do change lenses out in the 'field'.

OK so weird finding today. Was getting my gear ready for Donington tomorrow and 9fps wasn't working, there was no difference in frame rate with and without battery pack. However, put it into manual focus and the frame rate noticeably went up. Great I thought, another lemon, it won't shoot at 9fps with AF. Then I remembered I'd put on a two stop ND filter on so I can use slow shutter speeds tomorrow. Tried it without the filter and the frame rate went up so it must be that there was not enough light getting in for the AF to be quick enough to allow 9fps. Put the filter back on and went outside into the sun and sure enough the frame rate was higher, confirming my suspicions that you need good light for the AF system to be quick enough for 9fps shooting.

Now the weird thing, putting into manual sped it up even further, with and without filter. So CL and CH without battery pack shoots at 7ps, with battery pack it increases to (I assume) 9fps, and then with battery pack in manual focus it shoots even faster, sounds more like 10-11fps to me (from memory it sounds faster than the D500). Has anyone else noticed this, how can this be possible?
OK, so I've run some tests and indeed in manual focus with battery grip my camera does shoot at 10fps. Is this just mine that's a super D850 or do others get this too? ;)

Frame 1 shot at 9.40:35.27

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 10.03.38
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Frame 10 shot at 9.40:36.27

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 10.03.57
by TDG-77, on Flickr

OK, so I've run some tests and indeed in manual focus with battery grip my camera does shoot at 10fps. Is this just mine that's a super D850 or do others get this too? ;)

Frame 1 shot at 9.40:35.27

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 10.03.38
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Frame 10 shot at 9.40:36.27

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 10.03.57
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Have to be honest and say that I never ever run these sorts of tests.
However on Monday I was using the D850 with my 300 f4 PF and no battery pack and on two occasions I put it into CH as they were doing some sort of weird tractor drag-racing. On both occasions it sounded and felt as fast as my D500 ever did ... entirely non-scientific but entirely fast enough for anything I am ever going to need ... and without the battery grip and large battery.

However on Monday I was using the D850 with my 300 f4 PF and no battery pack and on two occasions I put it into CH as they were doing some sort of weird tractor drag-racing. On both occasions it sounded and felt as fast as my D500 ever did ... entirely non-scientific but entirely fast enough for anything I am ever going to need ... and without the battery grip and large battery.
I don't normally do these kinds of tests either, but it was bugging me as in manual focus it sounded faster so I had to check it out ;)

I'm pleased to say my D850 arrived by UPS this morning. Shame I wont get home until about 6pm and by the time the battery has charged, I might just make the golden hour!

Right, I'm home, got the battery on charge and was just looking at the memory cards.

I asked panamoz to send me 2 128gb sd cards but they only sent one!

Good job too, didnt realise I had to have a XQD card too? I thought both slots were SD compatible?!

Right, I'm home, got the battery on charge and was just looking at the memory cards.

I asked panamoz to send me 2 128gb sd cards but they only sent one!

Good job too, didnt realise I had to have a XQD card too? I thought both slots were SD compatible?!
Nope one SD one XQD. FYI panamoz aren't the cheapest for memory cards.

hmmm, Lightroom Classic CC 7.3.1. not recognising the D850 files. Thought LR was supposed to be updated now and I only updated the other day! I'm not having a good night lol.
Nice camera though :)

hmmm, Lightroom Classic CC 7.3.1. not recognising the D850 files. Thought LR was supposed to be updated now and I only updated the other day! I'm not having a good night lol.

That's odd. My Lightroom Classic has supported my RAW files since I got the camera last December!

Have you updated camera RAW as well as LR?

Yeah, as far as I'm aware I have. 10.3 is the latest version and thats what I've got!

Will reboot my laptop just in case it hasnt been done since I done the upgrade last week.

G

Gramps,

I didn't run into you yesterday at Ham Wall did I? I was chatting with someone in the Avalon Hide about their D850 and he was using a 300mm lens with it.........I didn't notice any drag racing there, though........;)

G

Gramps,

I didn't run into you yesterday at Ham Wall did I? I was chatting with someone in the Avalon Hide about their D850 and he was using a 300mm lens with it.........I didn't notice any drag racing there, though........;)

No Jerry, not me, though I must get down to Ham Wall again soon. :)

Back