Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

A couple of extremely processed pics from the Donington Historic Festival. I'm sure these will be a bit marmite ;)

DSC_2758
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_2743
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Cheers! I’ve been looking at samples form the Sigma 100-400 this morning and decided to pull the trigger, seems a bargain at its current price if the IQ is as good as the reviews suggest.
Picking up the D850 later, 100-400, 28 & 58 coming tomorrow!
How’re you finding the 100-400mm? Do the corner AF points work at 400mm?

I’m torn between this and the Tamron 100-400mm now.

I am using the d850 with sb 800 and sb 900 off camera with the godox xpro triger and a couple off godox x1r receivers all good

@snerkler just get a Godox XProN and a couple of their speed lights if you need OCF.
So I was just about to pull the trigger on the Godox X-Pro and X1R this morning and I've just seen that you need to update the XPro straight of the box, and Godox only do PC compatible software, how p*** poor is that? I can't believe in this day and age a company doesn't do compatible software for both systems :mad:

So I was just about to pull the trigger on the Godox X-Pro and X1R this morning and I've just seen that you need to update the XPro straight of the box, and Godox only do PC compatible software, how p*** poor is that? I can't believe in this day and age a company doesn't do compatible software for both systems :mad:

But it’s so easy to do if you can find someone with a laptop you can borrow. You not going to a flash that’s got the receiver built in?

But it’s so easy to do if you can find someone with a laptop you can borrow. You not going to a flash that’s got the receiver built in?
I know, and I do have windows computers at work I can use, but it's poor nonetheless and means I have to use crappy windows ;) No, no point me spending more money than I have to, it's not something I use very often.

I know, and I do have windows computers at work I can use, but it's poor nonetheless and means I have to use crappy windows ;) No, no point me spending more money than I have to, it's not something I use very often.

It’ll only be £60 more than you’re paying and you can sell your other flash (I forget what you have) you’d probably end up £££ in

It’ll only be £60 more than you’re paying and you can sell your other flash (I forget what you have) you’d probably end up £££ in
My SB700 is a bit bashed up so I don't think I'd get a lot for it. When I finally get round to buying a second flash I will get the Godox though, £90 vs £300 or so for the Nikon is a no brainer.

Went to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park with some friends and their 2 year old son and they asked me to take some pics of him playing in the park. Taking pics of kids is certainly not my forte but I'm fairly happy with how these turned out. Few more on Flickr.

DSC_8713
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8925
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8778
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8933
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8944
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_8957
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_9121
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_9326
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just purchased a D850 with 24-120f/4 lens.
Coming from a D3300, I’m expecting a bit of a jump in features and IQ :)

Just purchased a D850 with 24-120f/4 lens.
Coming from a D3300, I’m expecting a bit of a jump in features and IQ :)
Congratulations. Features wise the jump is huge. IQ improvements will depend on a lot of factors.

Congratulations. Features wise the jump is huge. IQ improvements will depend on a lot of factors.

Thanks pal.
I think I will need a tripod of some kind as one of the first purchases. Should be here tomorrow hopefully, so will be able to have a bit of a play after work (well, after the Apple Keynote anyway :D )

i have recently purchased the D810 but since then looking at the D850. have to say that unless one is a professional photographer, which I am not, i can't see any justification in getting the D850, considering the jump in purchase price.
For the extra £1,000+ and do away with the flash gun as well just is not worth it. The extra Mp the D850 has can be met by the d810 with a longer lens so I don't think that would persuade anyone on that basis alone, AS for the other improvement most I bet can be achieved in PP, but that would take up time.

Using the D850 as a business tool certainly, but for hobby use???

Just my thoughts. Oh and by the way I could very easily afford to buy a couple without blinking, but I just can't justify the price jump for so very little gain
or maybe your just a tight Git
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

traded in my d750 for the d850
any tips for keeping things sharp ?
might need to start using higher shutter speeds ?
any other tips appreciated

traded in my d750 for the d850
any tips for keeping things sharp ?
might need to start using higher shutter speeds ?
any other tips appreciated
I recently did the same swap and thought I’d have to use higher shutter speeds due to the higher res but it’s not been the case. If you got sharp shots with the D750 you should get sharp shots with the D850, possibly sharper due to the lack of aa filter.

As for kodiak’s suggestion of fine tune I’ve recently made a reversal on this. I used to fine tune all lenses but from my experience (on both D750 and D850) is that it leads to a bit more inconsistency with AF-C. I now only fine tune if my shots are obviously soft.

used camera today at grandsons birthday party WOW
detail is unbelievable and that was just viewing j pegs
does anyone just shoot with j pegs from the d850 ?
there seems to be plenty of info in j pegs for most adjustments in pp

and i thought the d750 was good detail !

used camera today at grandsons birthday party WOW
detail is unbelievable and that was just viewing j pegs
there seems to be plenty of info in j pegs for most adjustments in pp

and i thought the d750 was good detail !
I still shoot RAW tbh, workflow is no different for me as I have a preset automatically set up for import. Obviously it takes a bit longer to import but I usually just leave it running whilst doing something else.
One thing I have started doing is shooting 12 bit RAW for sports for the smaller file size and larger buffer. I’ve found no difference in PP between 12 bit and 14 bit, but then I very rarely push exposures to the extreme.

The publishers's AD will not go for jpeg unless the file(s) were
previously approved. Very often, publishers will want to go for
the 14 bit RAWs as they will prefer to fine post-process in office.

thanks for the reply
but i don't publish anything
i only print 1 shot out of 500 on my pc

Is anyone here using a D850 with a Nikon 200-500 regularly. If so your thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers

Is anyone here using a D850 with a Nikon 200-500 regularly. If so your thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers

I use it with the 200~400 ƒ 4 IF… brilliant!

I do and it works very well for me, including with the TC14-eiii.
I previously used the Nikon 500 f4 VR but it was becoming very heavy for me so I sold it on and bought the 200-500.
In truth the 500 f4 VR was better (as you would expect) and it worked well with all three TC's but the 200-500 gives me good IQ and a new flexibility in range that I simply did not have with the 500.

I use VMWare Fusion in these (rare) scenarios.
But yes, it’s sloppy to not have software for both platforms available.

I do and it works very well for me, including with the TC14-eiii.
I previously used the Nikon 500 f4 VR but it was becoming very heavy for me so I sold it on and bought the 200-500.
In truth the 500 f4 VR was better (as you would expect) and it worked well with all three TC's but the 200-500 gives me good IQ and a new flexibility in range that I simply did not have with the 500.

Thanks gramps. I'm a canon user and have quite a collection of Canon gear. However, I have some money available for photography kit. I was going to buy a Canon 300 f2.8 MkII but wondered how much use I'd get out of it. Then I thought about going really light and buying some M4/3 kit. My latest thought is a D850 and a 200-500 which could lead me on to maybe using the D850 for landscape and macro.

I'm hoping someone can help.
I watched a video, i think it was by Steve Perry about setting up a custom button to go from birds in flight settings to birds perched.
I can't seem to find it or remember how to do it.
Can anyone shed some light on how i can press a custom button to change my shutter speed from say 1/2000th to say 1/250?

thx

I'm hoping someone can help.
I watched a video, i think it was by Steve Perry about setting up a custom button to go from birds in flight settings to birds perched.
I can't seem to find it or remember how to do it.
Can anyone shed some light on how i can press a custom button to change my shutter speed from say 1/2000th to say 1/250?

thx
I'd imagine he was talking about custom banks. I don't have time to go through it now, but if no-one's posted anything by the time I've got some time I'll post what I know (y)

I'd imagine he was talking about custom banks. I don't have time to go through it now, but if no-one's posted anything by the time I've got some time I'll post what I know (y)

Thanks, or if anyone can point me to that part of the video where Steve talks about it I'd be grateful.
Looked through loads of his videos to try and find it, with no luck.

Back