Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

I'd imagine he was talking about custom banks. I don't have time to go through it now, but if no-one's posted anything by the time I've got some time I'll post what I know (y)

Thanks, or if anyone can point me to that part of the video where Steve talks about it I'd be grateful.
Looked through loads of his videos to try and find it, with no luck.

OK so here's what I know about custom banks. There are two customisable banks, photo shooting menu bank and camera settings bank. The photo shooting bank allows you to store 4 'memory banks' using the different settings in the photo shooting menu which is the option in the main menu system under the camera picture icon (2nd icon down on left hand side). Such things in this menu are file naming, primary slot selection, image quality, Picture control, high ISO NR etc etc. If you enable extended photo banks this also allows you to store exposure modes (such as Aperture priority and manual modes) and also your exposure settings (such as a specific shutter speed, aperture etc). Unfortunately it doesn't save AF mode. I have Photo shooting Bank A named "Normal" where I have my general everyday settings (aperture priority, Auto ISO, 14 bit lossless compressed and a host of other things). The second bank is labelled Sports/Wildlife and differs from "normal" in that the mode is Manual with a shutter speed of 1/1000 and usually with the aperture wide open. I have another bank labelled "landscape" where the only variations are that I have ISO set to 64 (as opposed to auto) and WB set to Auto 1 as opposed to Auto 2. It is set to Aperture priority but the aperture is set to f8. The last bank is set to "12 bit sports" where the only variation from "Sports/Wildlife" is that it uses 12 bit lossless compressed files rather than 14 bit lossless compressed. I use 12 bit when I know I'm going to be doing some heavy shooting to keep file size down and improve the buffer.

The second set of banks as previously mentioned is the Camera settings bank. This allows you to save any settings under the custom setting menu (pencil icon in the menu system). Here you can save a heap of stuff such as autofocus settings (but alas as already mentioned you can't save autofocus modes such as AF-S, AF-C single point etc etc). I have 3 banks saved, "normal", "BBF" and "3d face detection". There's not a lot of variation between these settings for me, as most of the settings under "normal" are what I use most of the time. BBF as the name suggests means that this bank is set so that the camera uses back button focus in this mode. 3D face detection bank is set so that face detection is used when using 3D autofocus.

By have these two types of banks it gives me 12 different possibilities (if I had 4 banks saved in the custom settings banks I'd then have 16 possibilities). For example I could have photo shooting bank "normal" with custom bank "normal", or photo shooting bank "normal" with custom setting bank "BBF" etc etc. You have quick access to both of these banks by pressing the 'I' button on the back of the camera.

Coming from the D750 I didn't like this system at first, but that was mainly because you couldn't save exposure settings (aperture, shutter ISO) at first and I thought what's the point in these banks if you can't save basic info like that. However, after discovering that turning on the extended banks does allow these things to be saved it's now much more useful. The only thing that I don't like is that if you change a setting in one of your banks it keeps this setting and doesn't revert to your previously saved setting. I preferred the D750's memory system in this regard in that if you were in a memory bank (U1/U2) and changed something (such as change shutter from your saved 1/1000 to 1/250), the next time you went back to that memory bank it would have reverted back to 1/1000.

Not sure if this is what you were referring to, if not hopefully someone will find it useful. If it's not what you are referring to and there's another way to save settings and jump from one to the other then please share it if you find it as I'm not aware of anything (y)

Edit: Just had a quick look at some of his videos and didn't find anything about custom banks. Are you sure it was one of his videos and you hadn't accidentally gone onto something else? Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here but you can view your youtube history so it might be worth going back through that to see if you can find it?

Last edited:
OK so here's what I know about custom banks. There are two customisable banks, photo shooting menu bank and camera settings bank. The photo shooting bank allows you to store 4 'memory banks' using the different settings in the photo shooting menu which is the option in the main menu system under the camera picture icon (2nd icon down on left hand side). Such things in this menu are file naming, primary slot selection, image quality, Picture control, high ISO NR etc etc. If you enable extended photo banks this also allows you to store exposure modes (such as Aperture priority and manual modes) and also your exposure settings (such as a specific shutter speed, aperture etc). Unfortunately it doesn't save AF mode. I have Photo shooting Bank A named "Normal" where I have my general everyday settings (aperture priority, Auto ISO, 14 bit lossless compressed and a host of other things). The second bank is labelled Sports/Wildlife and differs from "normal" in that the mode is Manual with a shutter speed of 1/1000 and usually with the aperture wide open. I have another bank labelled "landscape" where the only variations are that I have ISO set to 64 (as opposed to auto) and WB set to Auto 1 as opposed to Auto 2. It is set to Aperture priority but the aperture is set to f8. The last bank is set to "12 bit sports" where the only variation from "Sports/Wildlife" is that it uses 12 bit lossless compressed files rather than 14 bit lossless compressed. I use 12 bit when I know I'm going to be doing some heavy shooting to keep file size down and improve the buffer.

The second set of banks as previously mentioned is the Camera settings bank. This allows you to save any settings under the custom setting menu (pencil icon in the menu system). Here you can save a heap of stuff such as autofocus settings (but alas as already mentioned you can't save autofocus modes such as AF-S, AF-C single point etc etc). I have 3 banks saved, "normal", "BBF" and "3d face detection". There's not a lot of variation between these settings for me, as most of the settings under "normal" are what I use most of the time. BBF as the name suggests means that this bank is set so that the camera uses back button focus in this mode. 3D face detection bank is set so that face detection is used when using 3D autofocus.

By have these two types of banks it gives me 12 different possibilities (if I had 4 banks saved in the custom settings banks I'd then have 16 possibilities). For example I could have photo shooting bank "normal" with custom bank "normal", or photo shooting bank "normal" with custom setting bank "BBF" etc etc. You have quick access to both of these banks by pressing the 'I' button on the back of the camera.

Coming from the D750 I didn't like this system at first, but that was mainly because you couldn't save exposure settings (aperture, shutter ISO) at first and I thought what's the point in these banks if you can't save basic info like that. However, after discovering that turning on the extended banks does allow these things to be saved it's now much more useful. The only thing that I don't like is that if you change a setting in one of your banks it keeps this setting and doesn't revert to your previously saved setting. I preferred the D750's memory system in this regard in that if you were in a memory bank (U1/U2) and changed something (such as change shutter from your saved 1/1000 to 1/250), the next time you went back to that memory bank it would have reverted back to 1/1000.

Not sure if this is what you were referring to, if not hopefully someone will find it useful. If it's not what you are referring to and there's another way to save settings and jump from one to the other then please share it if you find it as I'm not aware of anything (y)

Edit: Just had a quick look at some of his videos and didn't find anything about custom banks. Are you sure it was one of his videos and you hadn't accidentally gone onto something else? Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here but you can view your youtube history so it might be worth going back through that to see if you can find it?

:agree:

I have 2 x Photo Shooting banks set up, albeit on the D500. One labeled "Aperture" which I use for fast stuff in aperture priority and the second labeled "Shutter" which is set 1/160th shutter priority, lower ISO etc when I need to switch to get prop blur etc. I've got Photo Bank at the top of the "My Menu" list (My Menu set to Fn2) and find it works quite well for me.

GC

how do you remove the rubber viewfinder rubber ?
does it pull off or screw ?

looking for a spare battery
where is the best place to buy ?
I tend to buy ExPro from Amazon. That being said I don't know if they make the EN-EL15a replacement, and the D850 has potential issues with the EL15 battery in that a few people have reported the occasional freezing.

can you use the battery from the d500 in the d850
scared to try it just incase it does any damage
have anyone tried using one from the d500 or d750 as there the same

can you use the battery from the d500 in the d850
scared to try it just incase it does any damage
have anyone tried using one from the d500 or d750 as there the same
I used one from the D750 and I experienced temporary freezing on a couple of occasions, not tried it since but carry it spare just in case.

I've used batteries from D600/D610/D750/D810 and D500 all in my D850 and they've worked fine, some are at least 4 years old.
Currently using a EXPro battery in the battery grip and get 9fps.
Interesting, I'll have to try mine again at some point. I assume you mean you have the ExPro EL18 battery in the grip to get the 9fps, not the EN15a? I'm using the Expro EN18 in the grip and they work fine (y)

how do you remove the rubber viewfinder rubber ?
does it pull off or screw ?

Grahame, you have to unlock it by shutting the eyepiece! :cool:

Superb Images here. Can i just ask for some opinions on the D850 vs D4s for wildlife. I currently have a D500 with the Nikon 200-500mm. I have been mightily impressed with results but am going to buy a full frame body. I mostly shoot wildlife and action sports/aircraft.
HAving looked around at what is on offer I am currently torn between D4s or D850. Both have plus and minus points.

Superb Images here. Can i just ask for some opinions on the D850 vs D4s for wildlife. I currently have a D500 with the Nikon 200-500mm. I have been mightily impressed with results but am going to buy a full frame body. I mostly shoot wildlife and action sports/aircraft.
HAving looked around at what is on offer I am currently torn between D4s or D850. Both have plus and minus points.

With wildlife you always need more reach or more megapixels so I personally would rule out the D4s with 16mp, remember that you will lose your crop factor from your D500 so if you imagine it would be like shooting with a D500 with about 7mp if you only filling the centre of the frame?

Some others may have a different view but from my experience mp count so much when you are nearly always cropping the image with wildlife and the D850 won't disappoint :)

Couple of recent shots !

Grey Heron by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Eurasian Jay (Garrulus Glandarius) by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

Fledgling Dipper by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

I agree with Mick (mufftrix), the D850 gives you much better image options ... if you use its crop mode you will be using 19MP which alone is better than the D4S and at 47MP full frame resolution is great.
D4S has a higher frame rate of 11fps, if you need that, the D850 is 7fps or 9fps with a grip and en-el18 battery ... so you will need to decide whether speed or image options is more important to you.

The only advantages that I can see regarding the D4s are higher frame rate, build (although the build of the D850 is very very good), but probably most importantly better noise handling which for birds can be quite important to keep things like feather detail. The D850's frame rate can be improved using the grip so you get 9fps vs 11fps of the D4s, 9fps is plenty for me.

The main advantage of the D850 as already mentioned is effective reach, you can crop heavily and still get plenty of MP left over, plus as it has no aa filter it actually crops really well and IQ degradation is less than other bodies that I've used. On top of this the colour rendition of the D850 is superb. For other types of shooting you get the useful tilt screen for landscapes etc, without grip it weighs less than the D4s (you obviously don't have that option with the D4s), and you get the new fangled 153 point AF system. Whether this is an improvement over the D4s AF system I don't know as I know the D'x' bodies AF system work better than the same system in the D8xx, D7xx bodies.

Sounds to me like you already have the perfect camera. For your purposes I feel the d4s would be a downgrade and the D850 a side grade.

I use both the D4S and D850 for wildlife and also the 200-500. The lens balances better on the D4S, better frame rate and much better high iso than the D850. The D850 gets used on more static subjects when i want loads of detail and can keep the iso lower. For me the D4S is a better wildlife camera and the D850 a better all rounder for wildlife/landscapes/portrait etc etc. If only 1 camera go for a D4S

Last edited:
I use both the D4S and D850 for wildlife and also the 200-500. The lens balances better on the D4S, better frame rate and much better high iso than the D850. The D850 gets used on more static subjects when i want loads of detail and can keep the iso lower. For me the D4S is a better wildlife camera and the D850 a better all rounder for wildlife/landscapes/portrait etc etc. If only 1 camera go for a D4S
I guess this will depend on how you shoot/frame, and your perspective. From what I can gather the D4s have very similar noise handling properties to the D750 and I haven't found my D850 "much worse" than the D750, maybe 2/3 stop max. Maybe that's much worse for some? Also, again it will depend on framing and cropping. If I downsample the D850 to 24mp noise seems pretty similar to the D750, downsampling to 16mp I'd say it actually looks slightly better than the D4s if sites like this are accurate. It has a finer grain, which to me is more pleasing.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...=1&x=0.1273693298797901&y=-0.9861072664359862

Sometimes i have to shoot at iso 10000 or more, just wouldnt think of doing that with my D850. Lower iso its hard to tell upto around 3200 but after that the D4s is much better.
I’m happy to shoot at 12800 if I’m using most of the frame, if I shoot at 12800 and then crop heavily it’s too noisy for me.

Having had a D4S and now the D850, if it means having just one camera body (which is why I bought the D850) then the D850 would be my choice for my photography as it gives me a great FX and a very good DX option. I think the D850 handles noise well, whether the D4S is better is debatable but the extra resolution of the D850 gives a marked difference in final image quality for most of my photos. I use less N/R on the D850 files than any other camera body I have used.
Obviously ISO/cropping impacts output from either camera.

Thanks, or if anyone can point me to that part of the video where Steve talks about it I'd be grateful.
Looked through loads of his videos to try and find it, with no luck.

I think you are probably thinking of this D5 feature that arrived with the latest firmware - it’s something I would find really useful so am hoping they update the D850 (and the D500 too) to have too soon...

https://backcountrygallery.com/nikons-new-recall-shooting-feature/

I must be doing something very wrong with the D850 as i could never get iso that high from it and be useble without noise reduction added. Im not happy to use above 6400 even using all the pixels.
It'll depend on output size I guess, if printing A3 and over then 12800 may not look great. A4's fine for me, then of course laptop screens and phones it looks fine. I may add some NR though in post, depends on output size.

I think you are probably thinking of this D5 feature that arrived with the latest firmware - it’s something I would find really useful so am hoping they update the D850 (and the D500 too) to have too soon...

Looks like it could be a good feature that, maybe a bit quicker then selecting the custom bank which is potentially a 3 button procedure. I assume that if you press it again it goes back to the other setting you were using previously. I can't see why this option would be difficult to implement on the other models tbh.

Looks like it could be a good feature that, maybe a bit quicker then selecting the custom bank which is potentially a 3 button procedure. I assume that if you press it again it goes back to the other setting you were using previously. I can't see why this option would be difficult to implement on the other models tbh.

The benefit to me (assuming that I’ve understand it correctly) is that you can set so it swaps to the other settings while you hold down the chosen button - so no chance of forgetting to reset

Yes @Ph1l that is what i was on about. Unfortunately my excitements been crushed by the fact the D850 hasn't got it yet. Great feature to have,surprised it isn't standard across the board, hopefully be out in a firmware update soon, although knowing Nikon it'll be 2020 if i'm lucky.

Yes @Ph1l that is what i was on about. Unfortunately my excitements been crushed by the fact the D850 hasn't got it yet. Great feature to have,surprised it isn't standard across the board, hopefully be out in a firmware update soon, although knowing Nikon it'll be 2020 if i'm lucky.
My fingers are firmly crossed that it’s available before September as I’ve got a week when it’d be invaluable

I'm thinking of moving to the d850 from a canon 5d3.

Has anyone found the need to update their PC to deal with the larger files the Nikon would produce?

What would the learning curve be like moving from Canon to Nikon? Or should I start a new thread to discuss this?

I do wildlife and landscape. From what I read the d850 would be ideal.

I'm thinking of moving to the d850 from a canon 5d3.

Has anyone found the need to update their PC to deal with the larger files the Nikon would produce?

No, my Dell i5 with 16GB RAM copes fine with Photoshop CS6 and DXO OpticsPro 11 & Photolabs ... storage space on the other hand will depend on the size of files you keep and how many of them.

No, my Dell i5 with 16GB RAM copes fine with Photoshop CS6 and DXO OpticsPro 11 & Photolabs ... storage space on the other hand will depend on the size of files you keep and how many of them.

I'm using a 4 year old intel i7 pc.
It copes with latest Adobe CC lightroom and Photoshop to edit the files.

Thanks for the replies.

My PC must be getting on for 8 years old.

It has an Intel Q9400 quad core processor with 8Gb RAM, so a bit dated. I probably need to add more storage anyway so that's not an issue.

Thanks for the replies.

My PC must be getting on for 8 years old.

It has an Intel Q9400 quad core processor with 8Gb RAM, so a bit dated. I probably need to add more storage anyway so that's not an issue.
Best thing to do is download some sample RAW files and see how your system handles them. Uncompressed 14bit take some processing, but 14 bit lossless aren't too bad.

As for moving from the 5D3 to the D850 and whether the learning curve will be steep will be down to the user. I personally don't have an issue swapping systems and adapt pretty easily, some people find it an absolute nightmare. Best thing to do is try one if possible, but bear in mind that you'll probably not like it as much to start with due to familiarity.

Best thing to do is download some sample RAW files and see how your system handles them. Uncompressed 14bit take some processing, but 14 bit lossless aren't too bad.

As for moving from the 5D3 to the D850 and whether the learning curve will be steep will be down to the user. I personally don't have an issue swapping systems and adapt pretty easily, some people find it an absolute nightmare. Best thing to do is try one if possible, but bear in mind that you'll probably not like it as much to start with due to familiarity.

I think I'm one of the latter! It took me years moving from Contax to Canon, but that involved the move from film to digital as well. I'm sure it will/would be quite difficult at first. I was thinking of taking the plunge with something like a d750 and a 24-120 zoom at first which wouldn't be too much of a loss financially if I had to sell them on again. I would keep thelens and the d750 as a second body if I moved to the d850.

Where would be a good source of 46Mb files?

Back