Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

looking to get the 9 fps from the d850
am i right in saying i need
Nikon MB-D18 grip and 18c battery ?
anything else , thought i read you also need different battery tray ???
You also need the battery door BL-5 to fit the en-el18 (b but I think any 18 will be ok) and use it in the grip.

hi all, i don't suppose there's a way to have custom viewfinder grids on the d850 is there? I've got a job tomorrow where the brief is for quite specific wide / tall banner size images and it'd be great if i could have tighter grids on the viewfinder to ensure that i get the best possible framing. Live view?
Menu option d9 will turn on viewfinder framing guides. In live view pressing the info button will cycle through the display options...framing guides is one of them.

You also need the battery door BL-5 to fit the en-el18 (b but I think any 18 will be ok) and use it in the grip.
Yup... and any EL-18 works.
There are also aftermarket grip/battery clones that will work for a lot less money (i.e. DTSE). The OEM grip is magnesium and generally much better build quality IME, but quite possibly not enough to be worth the cost difference.

Next Stop the Tea Rooms

An early but sunny start for the trams on the road up at Crich Tramway Village in Derbyshire. This one stopping at the Rita's Tea Rooms for a well earned break.

The tower on the rock face high in the background is Crich Stand, a memorial to the men of the Sherwood Foresters Regiment who died in battle, especially Word War I. The arched bridge is the Bowes-Lyon Bridge named after the Queen Mother and was moved from Stagenoe Park in Hertfordshire and rebuilt at Crich Tramway in 1992.

Next Stop by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Last edited:
Next Stop the Tea Rooms

An early but sunny start for the trams on the road up at Crich Tramway Village in Derbyshire. This one stopping at the Rita's Tea Rooms for a well earned break.

The tower on the rock face high in the background is Crich Stand, a memorial to the men of the Sherwood Foresters Regiment who died in battle, especially Word War I. The arched bridge is the Bowes-Lyon Bridge named after the Queen Mother and was moved from Stagenoe Park in Hertfordshire and rebuilt at Crich Tramway in 1992.

Next Stop by Mike Swain, on Flickr
Nice pic. Went here the other week myself for the vintage weekend (y) (Posted some pics on the Z thread).

had a look on amazon you can get the dtse grip for £35 the bl 5 on e bay for £5
is that all thats needed as it seem to good to be true

If you want the bump in FPS you also need the EN-EL 18 and charger (or clone).
And that's where it starts to get expensive. I actually still have the ExPro EX-EL 18 charger and two ExPro EN-EL18 batteries that I bought for my D850, I should sell them on really. Not sure how it works re being able to post them though.

i think as long as they are in the device there for its ok !!!!
you would need to sell me the d850 to do that.

i think as long as they are in the device there for its ok !!!!
you would need to sell me the d850 to do that.
I don't have the D850 anymore ;) Maybe if they're in the charger it's OK?

And that's where it starts to get expensive. I actually still have the ExPro EX-EL 18 charger and two ExPro EN-EL18 batteries that I bought for my D850, I should sell them on really. Not sure how it works re being able to post them though.

I have posted batteries on several occasions without issues.
Basically as long as they have the terminals protected, are securely packed and declared to the Post Office so that a warning sticker can be applied to the package by them, there should be no problem, (assumes not being shipped by air).

Early Morning Crich

The number 84 Mahlsdorf South tram patiently waits for passengers at The Crich Tramway Village in Derbyshire.

Mahlsdorf Tram by Mike Swain, on Flickr

My D850 is having to go back to Nikon for repair.
For some weeks I have been experiencing intermittent failure in the rear LCD screen, whereby pressing 'Playback', 'Menu' or 'Info' fails to bring any display to the screen. There doesn't seem to be any guaranteed way to restore the display, sometimes switching off/on works, sometimes removing the battery works and sometimes neither of these work and it just eventually restores, however it has been getting more frequent and more prolonged recently.
I never move the screen but do use the touch facility.
Very annoying and with the last experience of over 40 days for my D500 to be repaired and returned I feel a real sense of frustration.
Hopefully it can be repaired promptly.
Anyone else experienced a problem with the rear display?

Well just passed the 8 week mark since Nikon have had my D850.
Since last Friday, this message has been showing on 'Trackrepair': "Spares have been received and your repair is underway." ... has me wondering just how long it takes to replace the screen?
Educated guesses?

Since last Friday, this message has been showing on 'Trackrepair': "Spares have been received and your repair is underway." ... has me wondering just how long it takes to replace the screen?
Educated guesses?
That's pathetic service :(

Under The Weather

After a wasted morning on Beeley Moor where the heather had already gone over, I finished up stood in fields full of crops that had been cut and looked ready for harvesting. Although the sky seemed threatening, all that arrived was a very light rain shower.

End Of The Line by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Educated guesses?

I lost a screw out of my 600 F4 lens hood and after ages on phone (the guy just had no idea what I was talking about and after all that his job surely?) I eventually reverted to email and 3 weeks later I got one screw, yes they actually sell one not a pack of 2 haha!!!!

I lost a screw out of my 600 F4 lens hood and after ages on phone (the guy just had no idea what I was talking about and after all that his job surely?) I eventually reverted to email and 3 weeks later I got one screw, yes they actually sell one not a pack of 2 haha!!!!
I believe they are just M2 screws... I sourced some locally when I lost a couple from my 400/2.8 hood.

Under The Weather

After a wasted morning on Beeley Moor where the heather had already gone over, I finished up stood in fields full of crops that had been cut and looked ready for harvesting. Although the sky seemed threatening, all that arrived was a very light rain shower.

End Of The Line by Mike Swain, on Flickr
Lovely Mike...!!!

Was that a single shot capture or many shots merged etc...? I love the threatening clouds and gentle vignette, lush.

Peter

Lovely Mike...!!!

Was that a single shot capture or many shots merged etc...? I love the threatening clouds and gentle vignette, lush.

Peter
Thank you Peter, it was a six shot panorama all within a couple of seconds, so one shot really. There was a field wall at my back and I couldn't fit all of the pole on the screen in landscape so I turned the camera into portrait and took six vertical shots.

I don't mind composite images but can't claim to be a fan of doing them.

Thank you Peter, it was a six shot panorama all within a couple of seconds, so one shot really. There was a field wall at my back and I couldn't fit all of the pole on the screen in landscape so I turned the camera into portrait and took six vertical shots.

I don't mind composite images but can't claim to be a fan of doing them.
That's an area where I've no skills or knowledge regarding shooting a series of images and merging them, I wouldn't know were to start with that...(???). Can you do this in Lightroom CC I wonder...?? Are there any benefits in merging images this way...?

Cheers;
Peter

That's an area where I've no skills or knowledge regarding shooting a series of images and merging them, I wouldn't know were to start with that...(???). Can you do this in Lightroom CC I wonder...?? Are there any benefits in merging images this way...?

Cheers;
Peter
I do it quite a lot Peter, I would guess I take more panoramas than normal shots. It does create a massive file though. At a recent camera club talk, the speaker said he often did panoramas as the final image contained more information, not sure if that's good or bad.

It's quite easy to do in Lightroom. Simply click on all the images in the sequence and then up to Photo/Photo Merge/Panorama and follow that. Just be careful when you're taking the shots to allow enough of an overlap on the images so that Lightroom can do its job.

Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire

The beautiful Kedleston Hall, the Middle Lake and Parkland taken from the historic Adam Bridge area. A six shot panorama stitched in Lightroom.

Kedleston by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cheers;
Peter

Mainly for Peter (macvisual) I found a YT video that helps explain better than I did about using the camera in portrait mode with a longer length lens when taking panoramas.
Hope it helps.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQ80LPtKlE

Early morning start today, lucky enough, this is only a couple of hundred yards from my house. The mist was forming over the Meadow Farm fishing ponds. The church in the background is St Bartholomews in nearby Clay Cross.

Clay Cross Sunrise by Mike Swain, on Flickr

My other hobby - motorcycling.

Glen Quaich - Scotland by APM Photography, on Flickr

24-120mm -- @ f/7.1 -- iso 160

Great shot, love the view on this one. If I could change one thing, I'd turn the bike round and have it pointing into the shot. When you visit galleries and look at photos and painting, the artists always try and get something facing into the image, it's supposed to take your eyes into the shot.

Is it me or does anyone else find the file output from the D850 a little dull/lifeless .....? I'm getting more annoyed with my D850 photography as I'm not happy with my 'end results'.....!

Strange I know, maybe it's the current weather, maybe it's my file editing, maybe I'm asking too much from the D850...(???).

I can't put my finger on it, but I've never felt so non inspired by the D850 right now. I'm very disheartened.

Peter

Last edited:
Is it me or does anyone else find the file output from the D850 a little dull/lifeless .....? I'm getting more annoyed with my D850 photography as I'm not happy with my 'end results'.....!

Strange I know, maybe it's the current weather, maybe it's my file editing, maybe I'm asking too much from the D850...(???).

I can't put my finger on it, but I've never felt so non inspired by the D850 right now.

Peter
I found the D850 had great output and needed very little in terms of PP. I did use camera standard profile in LR as opposed to Adobe profile.

Last edited:
I've been editing my D850 files in separate jpg and raw recently to see if there's a difference in quality output, but can't notice benefits in either.

We are off this Sunday to Mauritius for our (delayed) honeymoon due to illness over last two years and I'm not fussed about bringing the D850 with me.

Peter

Back