Nikon D850 - Owners Thread

Is it me or does anyone else find the file output from the D850 a little dull/lifeless .....? I'm getting more annoyed with my D850 photography as I'm not happy with my 'end results'.....!

Strange I know, maybe it's the current weather, maybe it's my file editing, maybe I'm asking too much from the D850...(???).

I can't put my finger on it, but I've never felt so non inspired by the D850 right now. I'm very disheartened.

Peter
Interestingly when I got mine it was so close in LR imports to back of camera and now it looks like you describe and needs profiles running over them, i now wonder if the default changed from camera to adobe as mentioned above I’ll have to check as its really noticeable on import now

I do miss the punchy colours from the years I used Fuji to be honest.

Yes. I remember very well your enthusiasm for Fuji colours.
Pretty sure you can achieve acceptable results from the D850 though.

I do miss the punchy colours from the years I used Fuji to be honest.
D850 files are punchy imo, what software are you using and if using Lightroom what camera profile are you using?

D850 files are punchy imo, what software are you using and if using Lightroom what camera profile are you using?
I'm using Adobe Lightroom Classic CC. I do have Photoshop loaded but I've never ever used it.

The "profile" is kinda dependent on what image you shoot I believe, I always check which selection "profile" suits what image for the photograph I choose before edit. I try and shoot as low an ISO as I can for better quality output, I'm very conscious of this.

I've recently been looking through old Fuji 'X' files as reference.

Seems I've lost my eagerness and photographic strive as I'm presently not happy with my photographic "End Result"!! I could be tempted to list my Nikon items in the 'for sale' section and spend the money elsewhere.

Peter

I'm using Adobe Lightroom Classic CC. I do have Photoshop loaded but I've never ever used it.

The "profile" is kinda dependent on what image you shoot I believe, I always check which selection "profile" suits what image for the photograph I choose before edit. I try and shoot as low an ISO as I can for better quality output, I'm very conscious of this.

I've recently been looking through old Fuji 'X' files as reference.

Seems I've lost my eagerness and photographic strive as I'm presently not happy with my photographic "End Result"!! I could be tempted to list my Nikon items in the 'for sale' section and spend the money elsewhere.

Peter
Sorry to hear this, I go through phases like this myself :( I have to say, as much as I respected the D850 and thought in terms of outright performance and final image it was the best camera I've ever used, mighty impressive, I never really enjoyed using it as much as I should, and always preferred using the EM1-II, and likewise prefer using the Z7 despite overall performance not being as good as the D850.

With the D850 and now Z7 I have a preset that I use and don't veer away from that apart from tweaking WB and exposure. I have camera/colour profile set to camera standard and decreased yellow saturation (-10 from memory). I then have dehire set to +5 and clarity set to +5 and I think that's all the adjustments I have. I have always praised the latest Nikon output as find they've had more punch than other cameras, but I'm not sure if it's down to Nikon or the constant Lightroom updates, maybe at some point giving camera profiles more punch?

Last edited:
Kenning Park Sunrise

Plenty of mist and whispy clouds this morning at Kenning Park in Clay Cross. Best thing for me, it's less than two minutes from home. The church in the background is St Bartholomews on High Street in Clay Cross.

Clay Cross Sunrise.jpg

Last edited:
is the nikon 28-300mm up to being used on the d850 or is the newer 70-300 af-p better choice

Matlock Bath Morning

I recently made a couple of visits to Matlock Bath specially to photograph the quietness of the early mornings and then again, the same day, the busy late nights.

I was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise on my first visit of the day.
Matlock Bath I by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Cheeky self promotion, but I've put my EN-EL18 charger and batteries up for sale if anyone's interested (y)

Autumn Morning Darwin Forest

For me, a new and very quiet spot and not a soul in sight. That was until bird scarers were set up in the field at the side of the trees.

A place I'd been wanting to photograph for years but the bangs were so loud, I had to leave the photography for another day.

Darwin II by Mike Swain, on Flickr

South Wingfield in Derbyshire

The really sad sight of the flood waters around the All Saints Church, the grounds and surrounding roads. All this has happened in the past, talking to the local residents earlier today,this was the worst flooding they had seen in the area. Derbyshire has been hit quite badly and I do hope everyone on here is safe.

South Wingfield by Mike Swain, on Flickr

South Wingfield in Derbyshire

The really sad sight of the flood waters around the All Saints Church, the grounds and surrounding roads. All this has happened in the past, talking to the local residents earlier today,this was the worst flooding they had seen in the area. Derbyshire has been hit quite badly and I do hope everyone on here is safe.

South Wingfield by Mike Swain, on Flickr
Nice photo, except for the obvious. Been pretty bad around these parts tbh although in Chesterfield I wouldn't say it was as bad as 2007.

Filey Brigg Sunrise

The wild and extreme tip of Filey Brigg reaching out towards another glorious East Coast sunrise.

Filey Brigg Sunrise by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Very nice, lovely colours. What strength grad did you use for the sun/sky, or is it blended?

Never enjoyed the blending side Toby, this one was a rare outing for a 0.9 Hard Grad from Lee.

I might actually be barking up the wrong tree but just curious to understand this before I head off on my trip!

Mr Heaton (I know he uses a Canon 5d) seems to select a different / crop in camera but when he gets back to edit its at the full resolution for him to re-crop in LR.

I had a look at the Nikon D850 yesterday and from what I could tell I was able to change it to 1:1 square but then the image is actually saved as that even though I shoot in RAW is this correct or do I need a to change a different setting?

I've had a quick play around with mine and it behaves exactly as you have described, I guess it's handy if you've already settled on a composition and would like a smaller file size but personally I'd stick to 36x24 and crop after.

Last edited:
I've had a quick play around with mine and it behaves exactly as you have described, I guess it's handy if you've already settled on a composition and would like a smaller file size but personally I'd stick to 36x24 and crop after.

And that might be correct but I’m sure the canon doesn’t do this I’m sure once the raw file is imported it’s kept at the full file size

Anyone else worked this out or is it a Nikon / Canon difference

IIRC Nikon only has the cropped file. Olympus keeps the full raw file even if you crop/use a different ratio.

Well I’ve pulled the trigger and upgraded my D810 to a D850. The one big factor was because not only knowing I’m getting a better camera with more up to date features such as the tilting screen etc but the toggle focussing which I have on my D4s and D500 and it’ll make switching from one camera to another more intuitive. It’s a feature I absolutely love and why my D500 got used mainly over my D810 but there are times I really want the resolution of the D810 and now having the D850 it’ll give me that. I did mull over a D5 but I think for what I needed the D850 made more sense and I’ve got the speed aspect covered with the D4s and D500 anyway. Can’t wait now.

i cannot seem to turn on HDR what setting need to be off to allow HDR to be active !!
hope the d850 owners are still alive as no activity since march 2020
very scary

Last edited:
i cannot seem to turn on HDR what setting need to be off to allow HDR to be active !!
hope the d850 owners are still alive as no activity since march 2020
very scary
HDR is only for jpeg not RAW

Hi, it is rather quiet here, which is a good omen. Everybody is happy here with the D850. I got mine yesterday to replace my D800, and complement my Leica M9s and SONY A7R2s.

My first two pics :

DSC_0002-d850-s150c.jpg

DSC_0006-d850-s150c.jpg

I shall use my D850 for birds at my feeder (and cars and motorcycles in motion next season) :

DSC_0031-d850-s150c.jpg

DSC_0036-d850-s15c.jpg

DSC_0039-d850-s150c.jpg

DSC_0045-d850-s150c.jpg

don't know if I'm doing this wright but I have a problem with the last time I was out with the 850 and the 500pf some lines across the pic was using a tripod could anybody tell what went wrong sorry can't remember how to start a new thread tower 850-500pf-2.jpg

Back