Nikon DF

Can't say I'm a big fan of these type of compositions David, but looking at your recent shots I see it's something you've been trying out a bit lately so personal preference and all that ;)

Can't say I'm a big fan of these type of compositions David, but looking at your recent shots I see it's something you've been trying out a bit lately so personal preference and all that ;)

Thanks for commenting. I get your point as it's not a typical kinda composition but I do like it. I am still yet to get them how I want but it's a work in progress. I need to find my style as imo I don't have one. Meh. Was hoping to work a little more on it tomorrow but the weather is looking dull so that's frigged that one up! FML.

Thanks for commenting. I get your point as it's not a typical kinda composition but I do like it. I am still yet to get them how I want but it's a work in progress. I need to find my style as imo I don't have one. Meh. Was hoping to work a little more on it tomorrow but the weather is looking dull so that's frigged that one up! FML.
Kudos for trying to develop a style, I can't even take a decent shot yet let alone develop a style :LOL: But regarding your recent stuff, what do I know, I add grain to my images for christ sake :ROFLMAO:

All joking aside I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops. I think we all want to develop our own individuality eventually and it looks like you're well on your way (y)

Wot no photos ? #lostyourmojo ?

Some pics from today... More gorgeous sunshine to have a play with.

#1 - First attempt at a Brenizer. Wow, tough. Shooting at 1.4 like this is hard and the PP is just as bad!

Winter Sunshine
by David Raynham, on Flickr

#2 - Still trying things ;)

Winter Sunshine

#3 - Bokeh doing what bokeh does

Winter Sunshine

#4 - Still trying things, still.

Winter Sunshine

#5 - Playing with the light

Winter Sunshine

Look forward to your comments :D

#1 - First attempt at a Brenizer. Wow, tough. Shooting at 1.4 like this is hard and the PP is just as bad!

Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine

Nice pics, good first attempt at the Brenizer. What's difficult with regards to the shooting, making sure the subject stays still?

Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine

Lovely shots, David.

How long did Lily have to stand there in order get the desired effect?

Not long, perhaps a minute at most.
Can you not shoot her in the middle first then make sure you don't overlap her with the other shots therefore making it less important for her to remain entirely still, or would this not work?

I assume you lock focus so all shots are taken at the same focal distance as the first pic?

I got a reading from her face (not the 'hurry the f*** up Dad' one) and then locked exposure and focus with the AF-L/AE-L button and then started clicking away. Took 101 shots for this although quite a bit has been cropped due to the messy stitching.

Can you put just one shot of Lily that you took so can see difference please,id never heard of this

I got a reading from her face (not the 'hurry the f*** up Dad' one) and then locked exposure and focus with the AF-L/AE-L button and then started clicking away. Took 101 shots for this although quite a bit has been cropped due to the messy stitching.
101???? :eek:

They normally advise you start with about 15 and work your way up :LOL:

Do you have to get permission from the other half first of what pictures your allowed to post?. As mine have to go through a mass scrutiny first.
Hence why I've never posted any as she hates most of them

Glad to see you're getting along with the 1.4D, I also have one that I love using :cool: How would you say it compares to your old 1.8G?

I've always found fewer photographs to work best for the brenizer/stitched pano method, mainly from a pain of getting them stitched together properly. Not that I'm an expert or anything, far from it :LOL: How long did your PC take to work out 101 photographs? Mine is bad enough with 20 or so :LOL:

TBH, letting PS do 101 pics killed it so i made a panorama in Lr for each row then used PS to stitch the 11 pano's together. Took a while but at least it did it. I will try and do some more, just need to hone my technique more.

With regards to the 85's, not really sure. The 1.4D is nice, but so was the 1.8G. I doubt i would be able to tell them apart tbh unless listening to them focus :LOL: i think the 1.4 has nicer oof areas.

TBH, letting PS do 101 pics killed it so i made a panorama in Lr for each row then used PS to stitch the 11 pano's together. Took a while but at least it did it. I will try and do some more, just need to hone my technique more.

With regards to the 85's, not really sure. The 1.4D is nice, but so was the 1.8G. I doubt i would be able to tell them apart tbh unless listening to them focus :LOL: i think the 1.4 has nicer oof areas.
Is there much difference in the DOF between f1.4 and f1.8? I know you can use calculators to see that it changes the DOF, but how noticeable that actually is in real life I don't know :confused::oops: :$

Is there much difference in the DOF between f1.4 and f1.8? I know you can use calculators to see that it changes the DOF, but how noticeable that actually is in real life I don't know :confused::oops: :$
It's a while since I had a 85mm f1.4 but from memory and from using other wider than f1.8 lenses such as 50mm's and comparing shots at f1.4 and stopped down... for the same camera to subject distance for me the biggest difference is that out of focus highlights will be rendered bigger at f1.4 than at f1.8 and when looking at f1.4 and f1.8 images side by side you should be able to see the difference if there are any bokeh balls in shot. I doubt that any non bokeh ball shots will show any significant differences in actual dof though but YMMV.

PS.
For me and for a lot of my shots there isn't a great difference when stopping down until maybe f2.8 so I don't care too much about the differences between f1.4 and f1.8. But that's just me. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back