Nikon DF

Ah, shooting from the hip. Do that quite a bit, but obvs bit hit and miss. Cheers for the insight, it's good to get an idea of how things come together or the process. Got a few that I've missed with the best expressions etc bloody annoying that.

Nice write up, I'm smitten with mine... looks like that website really softens the images when it resizes them.
Nice write up? Did we read the same post ;) :p

Quite a strange write up, although bearing in mind the different cultural background, that may not seem as odd to Indian readers. The conclusion seems to be that he likes smaller, lighter cameras, and that he didn't notice the foibles of the Df until he tried an A7.

And yes, the pics were great.

Wow Alan posting in a Nikon thread. Now that's surprising... oh wait it's about someone switching to an a7r2.

Love the images the DF produces. There's something about lower mp sensors.

Last edited:
Wow Alan posting in a Nikon thread. Now that's surprising... oh wait it's about someone switching to an a7r2.

er no. I often read Steve Huff's site and I thought that piece might be interesting to people here. That's all. No hidden agenda and I really couldn't give a flying who does or doesn't buy what. Me being brand agnostic and finding the whole fan boy thing pathetic and all :D

And a PS.
Dunno how old you are but I was probably shooting Nikon before you were born :D

Last edited:
er no. I often read Steve Huff's site and I thought that piece might be interesting to people here. That's all. No hidden agenda and I really couldn't give a flying who does or doesn't buy what. Me being brand agnostic and finding the whole fan boy thing pathetic and all :D

And a PS.
Dunno how old you are but I was probably shooting Nikon before you were born :D

Sure Alan...sure.

Strange you say that as I've recently seen some portraits from the D810 which I thought rendered almost identical to the DF. Is there a reason that lower MP sensors would render differently?

Strange you say that as I've recently seen some portraits from the D810 which I thought rendered almost identical to the DF. Is there a reason that lower MP sensors would render differently?

Dunno about the technical mate lower MP cameras Ive used just make really pleasing images to my eye, D700, 5Dc, A7 S and the DF has that same look, maybe its the pixel pitch.

Any long term thoughts on the DF? I've currently a 6D DSLR and have recently been gripped by the DF. Mostly due to the manual feel of it and the D4 sensor. Shooting with a Leica M too, I often find going to the 6D can be a bit of a sterile experience.

@minnnt Am I right in thinking you went from a D750 to a DF? I remember you were Fuji at one point like myself. Any regrets or negatives?

Having handled a DF recently, it felt just right in my opinion and I had this wild thought of chopping the 6D in for one. It seems to be a camera where nearly all reviewers hate it and users say the opposite. Until I shot with it for a few weeks it would be hard to make any judgement. I do the occasional job such as the odd party or wedding so AF needs to perform when necessary. I know they are just tools but having everything just right can make a difference to going out and actually using the camera. A few people have said it's better than Canon in respects of DR and similar in terms of ISO noise.
It could just be GAS of course, but I can certainly see an appeal over a conventional DSLR.

Aye, it's a little beauty mate. You'll find that a lot of 'reviewers' have it for a week or so and shoot absolute tripe with it. They also have one to look pretty whilst wearing the latest lens they're reviewing too :rolleyes:

I've not found it to perform any different to the D750 tbh, AF is fine for me although an obvious wider spread of points would be nice. I love the controls, it's second nature now and the shutter sound is a real nice touch. My mate has a 5d3 and the shutter sound is an absolute joke. :D

Nikon DR is absolutely amazing in comparison to Canon files.

Where abouts are you mate? You'd be welcome to use mine for a day or three if you're local to Nottinghamshire.

Any long term thoughts on the DF? I've currently a 6D DSLR and have recently been gripped by the DF. Mostly due to the manual feel of it and the D4 sensor. Shooting with a Leica M too, I often find going to the 6D can be a bit of a sterile experience.

Have you been talking to too many dodgy people on Twitter about the Df, I'm thinking you may have. :D

Aye, it's a little beauty mate. You'll find that a lot of 'reviewers' have it for a week or so and shoot absolute tripe with it. They also have one to look pretty whilst wearing the latest lens they're reviewing too :rolleyes:

I've not found it to perform any different to the D750 tbh, AF is fine for me although an obvious wider spread of points would be nice. I love the controls, it's second nature now and the shutter sound is a real nice touch. My mate has a 5d3 and the shutter sound is an absolute joke. :D

Nikon DR is absolutely amazing in comparison to Canon files.

Where abouts are you mate? You'd be welcome to use mine for a day or three if you're local to Nottinghamshire.

That's good to hear. I know you should take reviews with a pinch of salt most of the time but it seems hard to find one good thing spoken about it. Good to hear that it doesn't seem much different to the D750. A camera which seems to have a mass appeal.

Looking at specs, the Df outperforms the 6D in quite a few areas. Even ISO which surprised me if I'm honest.

Appreciate the offer, David. I'm in Norfolk so a bit of a treck however.

It's a small world. :D Got the Df bug have you?

Haha either that or a touch of GAS. I wouldn't jump without letting the 6D go first. I can't really justify another system. I do like the appeal of the Df however with its setup. While many may say just get a D750, 800, etc. I don't see them as the same. Not just from a visual perspective but overall experience.

Haha either that or a touch of GAS. I wouldn't jump without letting the 6D go first. I can't really justify another system. I do like the appeal of the Df however with its setup. While many may say just get a D750, 800, etc. I don't see them as the same. Not just from a visual perspective but overall experience.

Definitely a different feel and look to the D750 but as @minnnt says the basic performance is very similar. More than welcome to have a play with mine if you're ever over this way :)

And the files from the Df are sweet. ;)

We're heading to Norfolk in about 10 days. Hunstanton to be precise. Hoping for some seascapes. I've stepped away from photography just lately. Hopefully it will reignite my passion when we go on holiday.

We're heading to Norfolk in about 10 days. Hunstanton to be precise. Hoping for some seascapes. I've stepped away from photography just lately. Hopefully it will reignite my passion when we go on holiday.

Aaah nice. There are some lovely spots to check out around North Norfolk. Blakeney and Wells in particular. Hope you have a nice time!

I envy you ,my sister used to have a caravan in Heacham,we loved it there,sold now.
But you wont find any high spots to do your selfies on :LOL:

We're heading to Norfolk in about 10 days. Hunstanton to be precise.

Well you won't be getting any mountain / hill shots there hahaha [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Woops, didn't see the above post, my bad. [emoji87]

Last edited:
So when does the Df arrive @Ruffmeister ??

I've spotted a couple of Wex Used. Just weighing up what I could let me 6D + Lenses go for to see if the jumps doable. I've the money there from some previous stuff I've recently sold so part of me is thinking; buy now and sell the 6D later :LOL:

Just thinking on what lenses. A 50mm and 85mm are essential. Just wondering about the wider end. 17-40mm and 24-105mm sit in my current zooms for Canon. Although having lugged around with zooms for a bit, if they weren't there - it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I've spotted a couple of Wex Used. Just weighing up what I could let me 6D + Lenses go for to see if the jumps doable. I've the money there from some previous stuff I've recently sold so part of me is thinking; buy now and sell the 6D later :LOL:

Just thinking on what lenses. A 50mm and 85mm are essential. Just wondering about the wider end. 17-40mm and 24-105mm sit in my current zooms for Canon. Although having lugged around with zooms for a bit, if they weren't there - it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The older 28-105 is a surprisingly nice lens (well, I was surprised anyway) available at a sensible price, and I'd probably look for something in the 18-35 range too.

Back