Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

If it’s over 2k (which it will be) I’m out until prices drop!

How many members on TP? If you all give me a quid (even the old ones) I'll get one :p:D

How many members on TP? If you all give me a quid (even the old ones) I'll get one :p:D

Oi! get in line! :D

I wonder how many here can just .... go buy it, once it's available, without having to sell a kidney? We have 2 of those btw, right? :D

The 1 series cameras had a lens adaptor but they only worked with AF-S lenses. It would be nice if any adaptor that gets made also worked with AF-D lens at minimum.

Just to make it clear, you're talking about AF - (virtually) all lenses Nikon worked if you used the MkI eyeball for focussing with the FT-1 adaptor.

Careful! I still get it 'thrown in my face' the fact I called the Canon 5D a Pro-sumer camera in a thread! ( I still think it is as I refer to the 'flagship' bodies from a manufacturer as the full Pro bodies.)
It’s what Canon call them. I can’t comprehend the attitude of someone who’d get upset at a ‘label’ on their camera.

Surely... it does exactly what I need at the price I’m happy to pay is all the justification we need. Though occasionally I’m greeted with snootiness because I only use a 6d :( I can’t say it bothers me in the slightest.

Aren't they also 2K? certainly wouldn't buy right now until we see what this new kid on the block has to offer

But the Nikon is $3000 so with UK pricing probably £3000.

It’s what Canon call them. I can’t comprehend the attitude of someone who’d get upset at a ‘label’ on their camera.

Surely... it does exactly what I need at the price I’m happy to pay is all the justification we need. Though occasionally I’m greeted with snootiness because I only use a 6d :( I can’t say it bothers me in the slightest.

Very true Phil. Think my D750 is in that class too. But I have seen numerous ‘pros’ using that and the 6D. I have even been using a 35mm ‘D’ lens. Scandal.

Very true Phil. Think my D750 is in that class too. But I have seen numerous ‘pros’ using that and the 6D. I have even been using a 35mm ‘D’ lens. Scandal.

It's funny how many people are put off by the green auto mode. The D750 appears to have been a tremendously popular camera for Nikon yet if you read the first few pages of the D750 owner's owners thread there was a lot of negativity about the mode dial before it was even released. I have to say I see it as a positive advantage having an auto mode. If I'm ever out with the wife and kids and have a DSLR with me and maybe the wife wants to capture a quick moment with me and the kids, nothing kills that moment faster than me saying, 'oh, hang on a sec, I'll just dial auto iso in and set the aperture to f/4 and remember to use the back button for focus, the shutter won't do anything'. The kids will be half a mile away by the time that's sorted!

I know most people buying a camera at this level will never use it but a camera is not going to be worse for having it. Could always put some black tape over it, just in case anyone sees you!

Last edited:

That was me actually. Fraser call the 5D not a professional camera, I said Canon disagree with him. Sure you can call it whatever you want and Canon can call it whatever they want. I can say none of these are professional cameras but the iPhones 1…does that make the iPhone 1 a professional camera? I mean I can call anything with any labels right?

The 6D is considered by Canon a Professional DSLR, all their single digit XD are “Professional” range as you know. XXD are Pro-sumer and XXXD are Consumer. Not my definition, Canon’s definition. So if we are to have this discussion, at least there is a base of what the manufacturer label them as, as a base, otherwise there would be no consistency.

Sure you can shoot a 200D professionally and it will be a professional camera, by that definition if you shoot a 5D professionally, then why can’t that be a Professional DSLR, why does the Professional camera body label only apply to the 1D?

Last edited:
It's funny how many people are put off by the green auto mode. The D750 appears to have been a tremendously popular camera for Nikon yet if you read the first few pages of the D750 owner's owners thread there was a lot of negativity about the mode dial before it was even released. I have to say I see it as a positive advantage having an auto mode. If I'm ever out with the wife and kids and have a DSLR with me and maybe the wife wants to capture a quick moment with me and the kids, nothing kills that moment faster than me saying, 'oh, hang on a sec, I'll just dial auto iso in and set the aperture to f/4 and remember to use the back button for focus, the shutter won't do anything'. The kids will be half a mile away by the time that's sorted!

I know most people buying a camera at this level will never use it but a camera is not going to be worse for having it. Could always put some black tape over it, just in case anyone sees you!

I think that’s a point well made - if you have a quality camera body with a quality lens, why not give an inexperienced user the chance to take a quality image with you in the frame!

Nikon have it as part of their pro range (y)

Are you being serious Toby? I only ask as the F6 was released in 2004 ...
Lol, yeah I know that but I've not seen it on Nikon's site. It seems like they have started making it again? Or if they've always continued to make it then it's been put back on the website. Either that or I've just missed it every time I've been on (highly possible ;))

Lol, yeah I know that but I've not seen it on Nikon's site. It seems like they have started making it again? Or if they've always continued to make it then it's been put back on the website. Either that or I've just missed it every time I've been on (highly possible ;))
Aaah, makes sense now :) I've always seen them available of retailers sites (Grays mainly ... ) as I'd love to own one but can't justify the cost.

It's funny how many people are put off by the green auto mode.
It is funny how people get upset and even angry that a 'professional' may have an Auto Mode.:LOL: And watch them nearly explode if a 'professional' camera were to have Scene Modes. ;) :LOL:

Having Auto/Scene Modes has no effect on how capable a camera is at taking pics. :LOL:

It is funny how people get upset and even angry that a 'professional' may have an Auto Mode.[emoji38] And watch them nearly explode if a 'professional' camera were to have Scene Modes. ;) [emoji38]

Having Auto/Scene Modes has no effect on how capable a camera is at taking pics. [emoji38]
Now let's get onto pop up flashes [emoji23] The Minolta Dynax 9 was ridiculed by "pros" for having one, but few of them understood it was primarily there as a remote trigger for off camera flash.

It is funny how people get upset and even angry that a 'professional' may have an Auto Mode.:LOL: And watch them nearly explode if a 'professional' camera were to have Scene Modes. ;) :LOL:

Having Auto/Scene Modes has no effect on how capable a camera is at taking pics. :LOL:

I think it's more that this camera will have it highlighted in green, so there's no hiding it :D

I think it's more that this camera will have it highlighted in green, so there's no hiding it :D
It's highlighted on most of the modern Nikons that have it tbh, even the "pro" D750 ;)

As do almost all cameras that have an Auto Mode, including the all the Canon 5D's and Sony alphas, including the a9. ;)

I don't remember anyone even mentioning the Auto Mode in the massive Sony alpha thread, and I have read a lot of it. :rolleyes:

For those that it is a problem for it looks like the Nikon mirrorless, and Sony's for that matter, may not professional enough for them because they have more features that you can choose not to use . ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
As do almost all cameras that have an Auto Mode, including the all the Canon 5D's and Sony alphas, including the a9. ;)

I don't remember anyone even mentioning the Auto Mode in the massive Sony alpha thread, and I have read a lot of it. :rolleyes:

For those that it is a problem for looks like the Nikon mirrorless, and Sony's for that matter, may not professional enough for them. ;) :LOL:
Auto's for the real pros, those that use manual and priority modes just like to think they're pros ;) :p

Woah, they only just discovered lightweight cameras. Amazing. Its like super sharp and if I zoom in its still really super sharp, revolutionary.

I've used the example before, but it's like apple when they brought out FaceTime making out they'd invented video calling ;)

The supposed photographers in that piece come off more like paid actors. And now we have social media creator being invited to test new cameras too. There won't be much new for the photographer here I'm willing to bet. It's Nikon over hyping finally catching up to what Sony is already doing. 4K, video centric options and controls, good af for video . . Only surprise so far is there doesn't seem to be a flippy flappy screen for vlogging

Just seen on the Nikon rumors page there is a possibility the replacement for the D3400 might be mirrorless also.

The supposed photographers in that piece come off more like paid actors. And now we have social media creator being invited to test new cameras too. There won't be much new for the photographer here I'm willing to bet. It's Nikon over hyping finally catching up to what Sony is already doing. 4K, video centric options and controls, good af for video . . Only surprise so far is there doesn't seem to be a flippy flappy screen for vlogging

I have come to learn if you cut out all the marketing hype and BS you'll basically be left with something that's at most on same level as competition. This is generally case in most electronics not just cameras.

But sometimes someone does end up making something truly different and/or a fair bit better. I am hoping this Nikon is going to be that. It'll give Sony and canon something to aim for.
The Nikon does seem to have got the different part going pretty well, not sure it'll be better or just different.

Same applies to Sony also. If you cut all the "Sony keeps innovating" BS you'll notice they only caught up to DSLR AF standard recently. Nikon still gets better performance out of Sony sensors. Nikon is more innovative in optics department with PF designs etc. Sony still makes huge glass and not much innovative solutions on optics front. So it's not all peachy and amazing in Sony land either. Same marketing BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: dkh

Agreed,I love my little M100

Sorry, have you not looked in on the Sony alpha thread! :eek: Everyone seems happy and contented there. ;) :LOL:

I'm reasonably happy and mostly I don't chase the latest thing :D

Same applies to Sony also. If you cut all the "Sony keeps innovating" BS you'll notice they only caught up to DSLR AF standard recently.

I'm not sure I completely agree with that :D as in a couple of respects mirrorless focusing has been superior to that of a DSLR pretty much since day 1... In consistency and cutting out the need for MA. For some those advantages would easily outweigh the advantages DSLR's have or had.

Back