Nikon mirrorless definitely on the way

TBH sports shooters too. I always use both card slots when doing equestrian work. Would like to know Nikons reasons for 1 card slot.
I think technology can't handle two xqd slots on that small body.

I remember seeing how large the uhs 2 card slot was on the sony!

TBH sports shooters too. I always use both card slots when doing equestrian work. Would like to know Nikons reasons for 1 card slot.

Shows how far out of touch they are with their customers. There is a party at Sony and Canon HQ right now lol

I think technology can't handle two xqd slots on that small body.

I remember seeing how large the uhs 2 card slot was on the sony!

Stupid idiots should have just done what Sony did instead.

Ahh well, Samyang 24mm and 35mm and 70-200 GM would cover my disappointment from Nikon.

Shows how far out of touch they are with their customers. There is a party at Sony and Canon HQ right now lol

Or life in general! How can they get it so wrong? As much as it may be a superb camera, how many pros with actually take that risk!

Yea even having a normal sd card slot as second slot would be fine
Although @Raymond would have a mental break down still hehe
Stupid idiots should have just done what Sony did instead.

Ahh well, Samyang 24mm and 35mm and 70-200 GM would cover my disappointment from Nikon.

Let's wait and see how well it adapts to dslr lenses because they if that is no Better then how sony adapts canon lenses then it's a dud and they have to release native lenses faster then Sony

Single card slot should kill it stone dead for the wedding market, expect there will be a dual slot ‘pro’ model at some point though.

It seems fairly obvious to me.... 1 card slot for the non-pro model, leaving a good amount of room and reason to have to buy the pro model. I think shot themselves in the foot with the A7iii /r being so capable, it's difficult to justify the a9 in my opinion.

Furthermore, what reason are people actually upgrading for? Let's think about this, if you shoot weddings with Nikon slr's.... there is no need to change to mirrorless is there? Especially given the lens line up at release is not really sufficient for a pro wedding photographer.

If consumers are looking for a reason to change to mirrorless, for whatever those reasons are, then this may not convince those.

However, those that are looking to buy their first camera, or are looking to buy 'a nice camera' will probably buy this in droves.

The release of the new pf 500mm suggests there is a lot of life left in the f mount.

Perhaps Nikon is planning on running both formats? I can't see sport / wildlife photographers changing from their D5's any time soon....

Hopefully they'll drop the video function of dslr's!

Last edited:
Or life in general! How can they get it so wrong? As much as it may be a superb camera, how many pros with actually take that risk!

The Nikon D3 had dual slots LOL

I just point blank wouldn't shoot a wedding now with a camera that didnt have live backup

Don't get me wrong I am sure they will be fab cameras but to omit the dual cards is totally crazy

Single card slot should kill it stone dead for the wedding market, expect there will be a dual slot ‘pro’ model at some point though.

Yet probably the most well known wedding photographer in the UK, and a £6k one at that, is buying one of each (putting to one side that he's a Nikon ambassador...)

Last edited:
It seems fairly obvious to me.... 1 card slot for the non-pro model, leaving a good amount of room and reason to have to buy the pro model. I think shot themselves in the foot with the A7iii /r being so capable, it's difficult to justify the a9 in my opinion.

Furthermore, what reason are people actually upgrading for? Let's think about this, if you shoot weddings with Nikon slr's.... there is no need to change to mirrorless is there? Especially given the lens line up at release is not really sufficient for a pro wedding photographer.

If consumers are looking for a reason to change to mirrorless, for whatever those reasons are, then this may not convince those.

However, those that are looking to buy their first camera, or are looking to buy 'a nice camera' will probably buy this in droves.

The release of the new pf 500mm suggests there is a lot of life left in the f mount.

Perhaps Nikon is planning on running both formats? I can't see sport / wildlife photographers changing from their D5's any time soon....

How many people spend £2-3,000 on a first camera?! And upgrade to what Pro model?

The F lenses work just like native lenses. Additional brilliant 500mm/5.6. Nice set of native f1.8 primes. Fast AF. Great fast XQD cards. 45mp sensor.

Unless Sony stars providing f1.8 primes and some compact teleprimes, think I'll switch eventually TBH.

£4000 with kit lens for Z7. That’s a pro enough price!

Problem is they were competing with the Sony A7(1-2) not the latest model, which in itself is soon to be replaced itself by four or five!

I agree with most of the comments floating about on here and the internet, Nikon have shot themselves in the foot.
They have played it safe, yes it leaves room for their Z9 Pro mirrorless body with P lenses but how many existing Nikon users will stay with Nikon another year or so waiting for a body with dual card slots? Existing Nikon users have been waiting long enough,
The body design / ergonomics looks great, no doubt it will have a great GUI / Menu system and awesome IQ....... we will have to wait and see what difference it makes to the Nikon financials to determine if its been a good seller or not.
One thing I am certain of, is that more Nikon users will defect to Sony even after this announcement. :(

Problem is they were competing with the Sony A7(1-2) not the latest model, which is soon to be replaced itself by four or five!
Why on earth would Nikon compete with the older Sony A7 / A7 II is beyond belief, if think the real truth is they can't compete with Sony OR they held too much back for their Nikon Z9.
Either way, this wasn't a good move for Nikon in my opinion, they should have gone all out and aimed for Sony's googlies. :D

So we are looking at a minimum of £700 for a 35mm 1.8?!

these prices are making the GFX range more attractive if anything.

How many people spend £2-3,000 on a first camera?! And upgrade to what Pro model?

I know a load of people that bought into the A7 line as their first camera and spent a considerable amount in doing so - they're fashionable right now. Everyone on Instagram and youtube is talking about mirrorless etc.

Unless Sony stars providing f1.8 primes and some compact teleprimes, think I'll switch eventually TBH.

There's not a great deal missing from the prime line up apart from the glaringly obvious lack of a 35mm f1.8 is there?

There's the excellent 55mm f1.8 and from what I've seen so far the 85mm f1.8 is excellent too, there's the 28mm f2 which by some accounts could be better but would possibly satisfy if you could stop pixel peeping but those together with the 50mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.8 aren't too bad a line up are they? Dunno about teleprimes though.

What are you waiting for?

Better than paying £700 for a 35mm/2.8 :p
Yeah but its not Zeiss. ;)

Is it me, or does anybody think Nikon will do multiple lines of lenses.
The new lines are S-Line, I am thinking a P-Line for Professionals? :D

Why on earth would Nikon compete with the older Sony A7 / A7 II is beyond belief, if think the real truth is they can't compete with Sony OR they held too much back for their Nikon Z9.
Either way, this wasn't a good move for Nikon in my opinion, they should have gone all out and aimed for Sony's googlies. :D
That was my point I.e when these cams were in r and d the Sony A7iii didn’t exist and that model in itself is a substantial step up over the mk I and ii.

Yeah but its not Zeiss. ;)

Is it me, or does anybody think Nikon will do multiple lines of lenses.
The new lines are S-Line, I am thinking a P-Line for Professionals? :D
Their 24-70mm/2.8 and f0.95 prime are S-line. What is P-line? 24-70mm f0.95 zoom? :p

Is it possible for them to make grip with a card slot ?, just like Nikon to find a way to charge extra for the second slot.

Where can I buy shares in Olympus :olympus: :wave: :wave:

I don't doubt that those looking to switch to mirrorless would defect to Sony - however, for what reason would someone with a good Nikon setup have to change to format?
I did, and the announcement this morning confirmed to me that Nikon are out of touch with what the professional wants. Saying that in 10 years with Nikon I never had a card fail. I've had 4 this year on my Sony A9's. Nikon have had the chance to really step up to the plate and offer something that is comparable to the offerings by Sony. It's sad that they've fallen short on something which we should take for granted now (2 card slots). I hope Nikon does succeed with it though, it's good for the marketplace

I don't doubt that those looking to switch to mirrorless would defect to Sony - however, for what reason would someone with a good Nikon setup have to change to format?
Its not just a system change, its the move to mirrorless technology which has big advantages over the traditional DSLR systems, so even if you have a good DSLR setup, your stuck with the drawbacks of DSLR technology.
No doubt some Nikon professionals have been waiting to switch to mirrorless for months / years and the Z6 / Z7 may not meet their expectations, others might be ok with them.
Time will tell..... still think a single QXD slot is a epic fail.

Back