Not sitting on the Fence - or TP's version of Brexit

I doubt it decimalisation happened a couple of years before we joined the common market.

Although I'm pretty sure it was some weird precursor ;)

"D" day 15 February 1971
Joined the European community 1 January 1973,
Day after my birthday (16th) so I remember it well, I guess it was so we were all nice and ready to integrate with the Common Market (as was) in terms of base 10 economy and environment.

Day after my birthday (16th) so I remember it well,
Curious! we are in that case, of a very similar age, with you being the older by a few days :D

One may surmise, sirrah, that one is of the Cavalier persuasion, with your swords and ladies and hat-plumes.
Nay, sir. I cleave to the Roundhead persuasion. Mind you well sir: I do not follow the fashion for loping off the heads of our leadership but will allow exception for the odious Johnson and his crony Reese Mogg. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Yes I remember decimalisation as well was a while ago ! But I remember my grandfather had a mechanical till in his off license shop the same one as in open all hours
It would have cost too much to convert it to decimal currency so he had to get a digital one it wasn’t the same though

Nay, sir. I cleave to the Roundhead persuasion. Mind you well sir: I do not follow the fashion for loping off the heads of our leadership but will allow exception for the odious Johnson and his crony Reese Mogg. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
Like they eventually did to that wart-faced, mean-spirited, traitor, Cromwell.

Sorry, that's just my Cavalier attitude coming out again! :giggle:

Last edited:
Curious! we are in that case, of a very similar age, with you being the older by a few days :D
In my case I cant forget to get the wife a Valentine's card or a present as that's my birthday. Restaurants are filled with "happy couples" and restricted menus, hate it. And I was a few weeks premature, not sure how many but apparently I weighed about 2 and a bit pounds, hospital gave me 24hrs, but I'm still here, so it shouldn't even be my birthday. B***s

I doubt it decimalisation happened a couple of years before we joined the common market.

Although I'm pretty sure it was some weird precursor ;)

"D" day 15 February 1971
Joined the European community 1 January 1973,
Actually you are waaay out. 1849 was when the florin (ie the two bob bit), a tenth of a pound sterling was introduced as a forerunner to full decimalisation :cool:

Actually you are waaay out. 1849 was when the florin (ie the two bob bit), a tenth of a pound sterling was introduced as a forerunner to full decimalisation :cool:
Yes, but doesn't the 10/- note ruin that idea though? ;)

A bag of chips went from 6d to 5p. A year later all the chippy owners were driving Jags.
Does that imply that John "Two Jags" Prescott was a chip shop owner in a previous life? If so, it would explain his annoyance at being "egged" - he's used to them (and himself?) being pickled.

Yes I remember decimalisation as well was a while ago ! But I remember my grandfather had a mechanical till in his off license shop the same one as in open all hours
It would have cost too much to convert it to decimal currency so he had to get a digital one it wasn’t the same though

They had tills when I worked in a pub, must have been about 1981. They had two or three split between the various bars and the attached off licence / shop and one of them used to snap at people like that one in open all hours.

Years later when I was in third party computer maintenance quite a bit of work was fixing point of sale terminals which are by comparison soulless things.

I'm surprised at how good the memories are of people posting here. You're remembering things waaaay before my time :D Florins? Roundheads? :D I'd have thought your memories would be fading a bit considering how old you are :D

Last edited:
There is always one smart arse isn't there?
:D

They had tills when I worked in a pub, must have been about 1981.
Round about then I was writing a prototype bar stock program for a pub chain. I got the thing working but the staff hated it. This was long before Windows of course and I always reckoned a big part or the problem was it "looked like a computer". You know what they say about not winning them all...

:tumbleweed:

There is always one smart arse isn't there?
Thanks, all compliments appreciated! Actually decimalisation was a sore point with me. I thought we should have gone for a ‘heavy’ pound, ie make £5 a unit of sterling, maybe call it a sov(ereign), broken down to 10p shillings (so no change of value), and 10 pence to the shilling but keeping the penny and just making it worth slightly more, benefitting the poorest slightly Whereas they were cheated slightly on the actual decimalisation. It was said that PM James Callaghan thought this would confuse the bankers and they would think the £ had been devalued somehow — really, bankers who can‘t add up!

[I may have been biased because I was familiar with using the East African Shilling which was at parity with the UKShilling but divided into 100 cents.]

Yes, but doesn't the 10/- note ruin that idea though? ;)
Cant remember if we had a 10/- note in 1846, my memory must be fading. However as per my other post #216 [216!!!) , if we had gone for a heavy pound (ie £5 equivalent) then the 10/- would have been a tenth of that, then shillings a tenth and pennies a tenth again, so a proper decimal system unlike what we have.

Thanks, all compliments appreciated!
Always a pleasure never a chore (y)

I thought we should have gone for a ‘heavy’ pound, ie make £5 a unit of sterling,
I had never thought about that, but I can definitely see the logic behind it.

Whereas they were cheated slightly on the actual decimalisation.
That was a foregone conclusion, though it took them a lot longer to get rid of the 1/2p than I thought it would (Dec.1984)

Cant remember if we had a 10/- note in 1846, my memory must be fading. However as per my other post #216 [216!!!) , if we had gone for a heavy pound (ie £5 equivalent) then the 10/- would have been a tenth of that, then shillings a tenth and pennies a tenth again, so a proper decimal system unlike what we have.
Bring back the guinea, then we'll see if today's fat little snowflakes can add up! ;)

Last edited:
Round about then I was writing a prototype bar stock program for a pub chain. I got the thing working but the staff hated it. This was long before Windows of course and I always reckoned a big part or the problem was it "looked like a computer". You know what they say about not winning them all...

:tumbleweed:

One place I went to was a food manufacturer in Yorkshire. They had a Dec Microvax (a computer :D) and I was working on it one day and a lady thought I was taking it away... so she asked if she could take it home. I was a bit confused so I asked her what she thought it was "A radiator" she said. Often when I got there there were socks draped over it. That place always filled me with dread as the keyboards were often swimming in fruit juice and they used to hose down the screens, which then often but not always went bang.

Happy days :D

Years later when I used to do CE approval and put all that safety stuff that no one ever reads in manuals I used to remember that place and always included "Warning. Do not hose down electrical equipment."

Last edited:
There was no point puffin and pantin about it but I did crow a few times.

They had a Dec Microvax (a computer :D) and I was working on it one day and a lady thought I was taking it away... so she asked if she could take it home. I was a bit confused so I asked her what she thought it was "A radiator" she said.

First place I worked when I was 16 had a HP mini computer, about the size of a fridge freezer (so actually bigger than the microvax, we had some of them in a different department). It didn't half kick out some heat.

Back