Not sitting on the Fence - or TP's version of Brexit

I feel I must point out that Bonne Maman Strawberry Conserve is the only supermarket strawberry jam worth buying...
I object! Robinson's strawberry jam is the only one to have (y)
Conserve is full of lumpy bits and no one likes lumpy bits :p

Despite our many differences (I'm especially disappointed about the level of anti-apricot feeling in this forum) there seems to be an unusual degree of agreement about the superiority of strawberry jam to most other jams. We could use this to build bridges and forge a new consensus. On the other hand, the details are important, and I feel I must point out that Bonne Maman Strawberry Conserve is the only supermarket strawberry jam worth buying...

Respectfully, I disagree. Mackay's Scottish Strawberry Preserve is delicious. Not all supermarkets seem to carry it though.

Last edited:

Speak for yourself.

Those lumpy bits are delicious strawberries! Robertson's jam is OK, but their best product is Silver Shred Lemon marmalade. It's not the best of all marmalades (that honour goes to Frank Cooper, especially the Fine Cut Oxford Orange) but it makes an interesting change from time to time. Golden Shred Orange is nothing to write home about. Lime in marmalade doesn't really work (sorry Roses's). M&S Ruby Red Grapefruit is excellent.

Despite probably never having tried Mackay's , I'm going to maintain my dogmatic loyalty to Bonne Maman and ignore all conflicting evidence. It's just like politics.

Marmite on scones is an Abomination unto the Lord.

However, Bovril on cheese scones is delicious.
Cream on first. (Then JAM - Bovril would be gross with cream!) Tiptree Little Scarlet Strawberry Conserve for preference - the only good thing to come out of Essex!
Pasties are incomers to Cornwall.

Bovril on anything ............................................. Yuk :puke:

"Question" .............. singular ? Good god sir, that will not do. There will need to be a minimum 35 questions (multiple choice, of course). Voting will be compulsory, but to be fair to the white feather brigade (notice how I carefully avoided using the term "Surrender Monkey") anyone who feels that their conscience prohibits them voting will have the opportunity to surrender (just cannot get away from that word) their ballot paper with an explanation. The Chicken Supreme court plus John Major will give due consideration prior to rejection.
I stand corrected and surrender to your superior intellect

Objection overruled! I put it to you that Wilkin and Sons 'Tiptree' Little Scarlet Strawberry Conserve must surely be the only strawberry jam worthy of the name: https://www.tiptree.com/index.php/little-scarlet-strawberry-conserve.html

And if it's good enough for 007, then it's good enough for me.... so you can stick that in your scone and smoke it! :pompous: Metaphorically speaking, of course. :giggle:

Objection overruled!
And I'll trump that with
In a previous life I was an HGV Driver one of my pick up points was a local flavour and fragrance plant.
I'll give you one guess as to where one of my delivery points were
Who doesn't love a bit of additive or a few e-numbers eh? (y)

I know but if bacon rolls have bacon in them, bread rolls have bread in them..............

What about a toilet/loo roll?

Roll on Christmas so the days start getting longer!

What about spring rolls? Very good for those that suffer iron deficiency. ;)

Finger rolls? Handy to have a few in the freezer.

But at least they do have figs in them!

Hurt your teeth, they do!

Whats all this about then? Looks like a Roll Call!

What about Artic Roll, hadn't thought about that for years until I read this thread...

Back