Now this is an interesting building!

OOooo it's like a kaleidoscope! it makes my eyes go squiffy! Neat shots though! I like :) #1 for me, it really pulls you in!

That looks pretty colourful. I remember visiting last year but just had a very basic Holga camera:

4725725106_aed1f66b7d_z.jpg

Reminds me of the interior of the family sagardi, is it? looks familiar, sure I took shots of those windows and looking upward

Last edited:
Reminds me of the interior of the family sagardi, is it? looks familiar

The Basílica de la Sagrada Família in Barcelona by Antoni Gaudi. Yup.

Construction has come on a bit since I first visited in 1984. I've been back a few times since.

This was 1990 and none of the roof in Ricardo's pics was yet built.

Sagrada Familia by cybertect, on Flickr

Thanks for the comments everyone, it's an amazing place. Today I drove all the way from Andorra to home, and detoured via Barcelona just to see this place.

If anyone ever visits again, go up in the lift and walk back down. There's some amazing external detail that you can see close up.

I wish I'd gone in when I visited. I too had come from Andorra! It's a long way on a motorbike too! I then did Barcelona or Carcasonne ;-)

If anyone ever visits again, go up in the lift and walk back down. There's some amazing external detail that you can see close up.

:LOL: we went up in the lift, I was well dizzy when we got back down after those winding stairs LOL so were a few others I saw come down after us

Just Dave said:
:LOL: we went up in the lift, I was well dizzy when we got back down after those winding stairs LOL so were a few others I saw come down after us

I got stuck behind an elderly lady who passed out and I had to handball her down
the stairs

I wish I'd gone in when I visited. I too had come from Andorra! It's a long way on a motorbike too! I then did Barcelona or Carcasonne ;-)

I was in Carcassonne before Andorra! Put a lot of miles on the car.

Carcasonne is awesome! I did 3000 miles in two weeks touring on my bike ;-)

ah yes the infamous SF.......

all alledgedly built upon the structure of trees, with the branches etc...... not a straight line in the place.........

when I was last there, been there 3 times, you could walk out on these little less than waist high balconies right up in the turrets.........

we did that scary woooow, cross over to another turret, I didnt feel safe really

Why not? Spanish construction has a fantastic H&S record........ ;)

all alledgedly built upon the structure of trees, with the branches etc...... not a straight line in the place.........

Gaudi's method for calculating structures was to hang weighted string lattices upside down. This gave the same (well, reversed) effect of forces in tension as the final members would experience in compression.

There's an extant model of his of a different version of the Sagrada Familia design

450px-Maqueta_funicular.jpg

[photo source: Wikimedia]

Last edited:
Ah Rob thats an artists and I suppose photographers thing, if you can turn your image upside down and it still looks good, other words it works any way up,my theory may not make sense to you, but it was a thing I was taught at my fine arts courses, its right (y)

Excellent building! Id like to see them slightly straightened though as some of them being at an angle puts me off.

Nice I went there years ago when you could still climb the steps to the top, sadly the only way up now is to pay an extortionate amount and wait for hours to take the lift. Nice piccies.

Nice I went there years ago when you could still climb the steps to the top, sadly the only way up now is to pay an extortionate amount and wait for hours to take the lift. Nice piccies.

2.50€ is not a bank breaker :LOL:

Immediately when I saw the opening shots in this thread, Gaudi sprang to mind. He had a very distinctive and instantly recognisable style. Sadly I didn't go into the Sagrada Familia when I visited Barcelona a few years ago, but I absolutely adored La Casa Batllo :love: That is an awesome place to visit, intriguing from the outside and truly sublime once you set foot indoors. Sadly I don't have any of my own photos to show :( (was still using film back then) but hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about, and maybe post a few of theirs :)

Immediately when I saw the opening shots in this thread, Gaudi sprang to mind. He had a very distinctive and instantly recognisable style. Sadly I didn't go into the Sagrada Familia when I visited Barcelona a few years ago, but I absolutely adored La Casa Batllo :love: That is an awesome place to visit, intriguing from the outside and truly sublime once you set foot indoors. Sadly I don't have any of my own photos to show :( (was still using film back then) but hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about, and maybe post a few of theirs :)

Sorry the pics are so poor, they were taken before I know anything about photography, how to work the camera, composition etc.

Los Arcos de Gaudi by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Caso Batlló by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Caso Batlló by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Spiral by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Not at all Ricardo, these shots really take me back to one of my most treasured holidays. They conjure up some lovely memories of Casa Batllo, so thanks for posting! :) Barcelona is a great place.

Not at all Ricardo, these shots really take me back to one of my most treasured holidays. They conjure up some lovely memories of Casa Batllo, so thanks for posting! :) Barcelona is a great place.

Thank you!

Here's one more that I just uploaded to my Flickr. I had hesitated to show it because it's quite noisy.

Woah! That is ONE BIG CHURCH! by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Back