OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Have to say Rob that does look to be a major improvement over the V500...very interesting.

Andy

Well Rob the drum wins hands down as it should, but I cannot help thinking that you could get more out of your V500 should you wish, as the shown photo is just so bad. Is it my imagination or is the tower in the V500 scan leaning to the right more, everything else looks the same.

To be honest that looks pretty typical of what I'd expect to get directly out of my V500. Contrast and sharpness can be improved in editing of course, but the point of this comparison is it shows your starting point right out of the machine. I've had some great results from my V500 but seeing some full size unedited scans from the Howtek yesterday made me realise just how much detail film can actually record!

The tower does indeed seem to lean more in the V500 scan but remember, Rob took it. He probably mounted it at an angle on the drum scanner to try correct his dodgy horizon! :LOL: :D

Ill pop a 100% crop up later, the image sharpness is comically good

The tower does indeed seem to lean more in the V500 scan but remember, Rob took it. He probably mounted it at an angle on the drum scanner to try correct his dodgy horizon! :LOL: :D

:bat:

I've just added a Yashica Mat to my ever changing film collection. It's actually in good condition apart from it missing the front leatherette covering (good excuse for a full re-cover!) and needing a general clean as it doesn't look like it's been used for a while.

I'm going to give this a bit of a cleanup as well as a new skin then will probably flock the film chamber before I put a roll of film through it. I'll put some shots up once I have.

I couldn't resist putting a film through the Yashica before I've fitted the new leather so I've just sent off a roll of Provia to AG so hopefully will see the results of the flocking next week :)

I've been away from work for a week but have some parcels ready to collect so hopefully one will be the leather kit. I'll find out tomorrow.

Cheers
Steve

Ill pop a 100% crop up later, the image sharpness is comically good

What's it like in the blacks :)

That's the thing with slides, they can be so sooooo dense, especially if they're a bit under.
My scanner cannot recover detail in the blacks I can see on a light box even with exposure adjustment, all I get is scanline noise.
Sometimes I think a brighter lamp would make a difference, mebbe mines past it, I dunno..

It's pretty good in the shadows but we haven't got the proper software that allows for manipulating the amps in the scanner itself so we are just running it as flat scans, the full software should allow for log scans that pull a ton of detail out of the shadows in theory

It's pretty good in the shadows but we haven't got the proper software that allows for manipulating the amps in the scanner itself so we are just running it as flat scans, the full software should allow for log scans that pull a ton of detail out of the shadows in theory

Wow, reading that back it almost sounds like I know what I'm doing, rest assured that this isn't the case :p :nuts:

We know Rob, we know....;)

a rather nice Nikon 50mm f/1.4 I picked up a few weeks ago from the local independent camera shop. It's practically mint and goes very well with the FE2.

Just what I want for my recently acquired FE2. Unfortunately, finances dictate that I will probably have to make do with a 50mm f1.8 series E instead!

Steve.

Nice looking body.

Being in selling mode, I found myself wavering towards a Contax G this morning but remembered that (a) I'm not a fan of rangefinders and (b) I'm downsizing and quickly deleted all the body and lens listings I had saved on EBay.
Had the necessary lens investment not been so significant, I fancy that I might have had an impulse purchase in the post by the end of the week.:puke:

New member of the family, just need to save up for a lens now!

Yay, my kit from CameraLeathers has arrived so once I get the last section of old leatherette off the Yashica I'll be fitting this shiny new one :0)

All forum posts about getting the old covering off are definitely true...that stuff is welded on!

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Definitely going to have a go at this with my Yash, looks easy enough once the original leather has gone. Probably going to try something a bit wacky, maybe the red or cobalt blue.

Definitely going to have a go at this with my Yash, looks easy enough once the original leather has gone. Probably going to try something a bit wacky, maybe the red or cobalt blue.

Whippet grey perhaps?

All my whippets are tan, my flat cap however is grey....

All my whippets are tan, my flat cap however is grey....

Blimey, that's a dilemma. Do you recover the Yash to match the flat cap or the whippet? It's not a choice I'd want to have to make.

Waiting for my new toy, a Yashica Electro GSN, to arrive. It will be my first rangefinder.
However, I have only come on here to let you all know that there is a :
VOSS Diax IIb on ebay, in the rangefinder ads. It looks well looked after and is with its original box and instructions. Starting bid £139. Get your money out lads.:D

And lets not bring the ferret into the equation....logistical nightmare.....

It took a little after sales debate with a certain Mr Rock but I finally ended up with this..

9408212053_859736c643.jpg
[/url]
Voigtlander Superb 6 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Circa 1933, it takes 120 film which runs horizontally and built in parallax correction which tilts the viewing lens, mirror and ground glass when close focussing

9408209397_e40aabf017.jpg
[/url]
Voigtlander Superb 3 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

and the shutter speeds are reversed on the selector so you can see them in the little angled mirror from above.

9408208575_df1efef1a4.jpg
[/url]
Voigtlander Superb 2 by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Wow!....very nice Nick....quirky too...the parallax correction is brilliant!

Wow!....very nice Nick....quirky too...the parallax correction is brilliant!

Quirky is good, I've never seen anything like it on any other TLR. It's in quite good condition although it does need some TLC to bring out its best.

Circa 1933, it takes 120 film which runs horizontally and built in parallax correction which tilts the viewing lens, mirror and ground glass when close focussing

and the shutter speeds are reversed on the selector so you can see them in the little angled mirror from above.

Wow, very interesting. Enjoy!

I was reading about the Brilliant the other day and it does look to be a really nice little camera, well ahead of its time. Lets be 'avin a roll through it then....:D

My new toy arrived today, no more excuses for shonky metering.

BQht-S3CMAEBnBz.jpg

Seems to be within a half stop of the spot on the D3100.

Which reminds me (probably because I'm just back from the pub and my mind is running on lager), I just bought a pinhole camera kit from the bay of evil, £6.36 including postage.
One of these, just thought it might be a bit of a laugh.

http://elisia.ecrater.com/p/11564834/pinhole-photography-kit-by-john

Excellent, another build your own camera thread, we expect a full 'insert tab A into slot C' account.

My new toy arrived today, no more excuses for shonky metering.

BQht-S3CMAEBnBz.jpg

Seems to be within a half stop of the spot on the D3100.

That's the problem I'm having, I've bought all the kit and not only do I still have no idea but I have run out of excuses as well :)

It has been noticed! :D

Give kit to rest of us and take up stamp collecting.....Problem solved! :D :D

Thank-you for your input Asha, a high level of ridicule as usual :LOL: Although I have a long way to go to match your collection.

But if you would like to be added to the list of beneficiaries when I finally shuffle off this mortal coil, is there any particular camera you would like?

Thank-you for your input Asha, a high level of ridicule as usual :LOL: Although I have a long way to go to match your collection.

But if you would like to be added to the list of beneficiaries when I finally shuffle off this mortal coil, is there any particular camera you would like?

At least the stuff in your collection works! :D :D :D

Going on that, I'd be glad of anything fully operational although I'm quite happy to patiently wait 50 years or so as I wouldn't wish to see you shuffle off just yet......

That's the problem I'm having, I've bought all the kit and not only do I still have no idea but I have run out of excuses as well :)

I reckon I've got one or two rolls worth of "I forgot it was a spot" before I'm rumbled as being hopeless.

I've just finished the Yashica Mat refurb and must say that the cameraleather kit was spot on and surprisingly easy to apply so definitely recommended. I decided to sand back the external black paintwork and use flat black enamel paint to finish. The benefit of the enamel paint is that it can be brushed on in thin coats (3 in the end) but dries smooth so there was no need for a complete strip down to spray it.

Finished Yashica Mat by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

I also flocked the film chamber a few weeks ago;

Not the greatest pictures so I'll take some better ones in the daylight. I ran a roll of Provia 100 through the Mat a few days ago and it's at AG now so I'm really looking forward to the results :0)

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Back