OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Went to Great Dorset Steam Fair yesterday and met a chap who was showing his collection of cameras. He had loads of vintage folding cameras, TLRs, field cameras and 35mm SLRs. He showed me one that he had actually bought at the fair earlier that day, and was a huge late 19th century TLR. Looking at the ground glass on that was something special! I think he had about 80 cameras on display, and when I said how great his collection was he said “oh, this is just a bit of it. I have about 1500 film cameras in total” :O He seemed surprised that I was actually using film at the fair, and even more surprised when I showed him the Hassie in my bag too. Was a really wonderful collection and I hope to see him there again next year. I don’t remember his name but as I walked away I did wonder to myself whether he was on this forum!

Got the last two items on my list to complete my ETRS outfit today. A 75mm F2.8 lens from a local camera shop & another 120 back from eBay. £85 the pair. Still haven't had a chance to test the camera yet. Been grounded by an acute case of Plantar Fascitiis.

Got the last two items on my list to complete my ETRS outfit today. A 75mm F2.8 lens from a local camera shop & another 120 back from eBay. £85 the pair. Still haven't had a chance to test the camera yet. Been grounded by an acute case of Plantar Fascitiis.

Nasty, had it myself a couple of years ago and it was crippling.

I had a nice surprise today. I won a Hasselblad 40mm CFI lens for a good price on eBay as I was the only bidder on a short auction. The lens arrived today in great condition and is the rarer, better 40mm CFI IF version.

A Contax RTS II turned up, very nice condition, with a Yashica 50 f1.4 attached and another Yashica winder.
The 50 f1.4 is pretty heavy. It works very smoothly and is meant to be a decent lens. I'll try it out on the Nex 6 to see how it behaves.
A Contax 139 winder showed up as well- boxed, bag, instructions, very clean. I'm not sure that it has been used to be honest.
Oh, and a Contax cable switch, some light seals, new camera leather...

But Ken are you going to use these cameras you are buying.......don't forget the challenges and other threads for shots;)

I did add an OM4Ti and OM2 to my collection :) last week.

But Ken are you going to use these cameras you are buying.......don't forget the challenges and other threads for shots;)
I've mainly been using the RTS and the 139 loaded with Fomopan 100, but the RTS II is an improvement over the original. The AE lock is brilliant- it locks in the EV, so you can adjust aperture and the camera takes care of the shutter.
I'll be taking it down to the Lake District over the weekend, and I might take the 137 MD for a walk too :)

Contax RTS II with Yashica 50 f1.4
Contax 009e by Ken, on Flickr

The leather had completely gone on ths Contax 137MD (a usual occurence with Contax and Yashica) so I thought I'd give it a new coat,
not to everyone's taste but it does feel good.
Contax 011e by Ken, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice Contaxes, Ken.

I had a small Contax outfit some time ago - RTS II, 139, 50/1.7, 28/2.8. Sold it and went back to Nikon with a FM3A, FM2N and FM.

Would love to handle an Contax S2.

Nice Contaxes, Ken.

I had a small Contax outfit some time ago - RTS II, 139, 50/1.7, 28/2.8. Sold it and went back to Nikon with a FM3A, FM2N and FM.

Would love to handle an Contax S2.

Little? :)
Contax weighs in at 735g, Nikon FM3A at 570g...

Hey Ken only film shots here ;)
I just thought I'd sneak in a film lens :)
BTW, is there actually a section for 'classic' lenses? It would seem that this is the right place to go, rather than 'Equipment'.

Its only a film lens if you shoot film with it.

Definitely belongs in digital Still Life.....

....oh wait......

:D

I just thought I'd sneak in a film lens :)
BTW, is there actually a section for 'classic' lenses? It would seem that this is the right place to go, rather than 'Equipment'.

Well I'm never sure if people are interested in talking about lenses in T&C, although we do help newbies on what lenses to get...........but we all use a digi for shots of film gear.

Well I'm never sure if people are interested in talking about lenses in T&C, although we do help newbies on what lenses to get...........but we all use a digi for shots of film gear.
Maybe they are too scared to talk about lenses :)

I suspect the correct place is in 'Equipment', though the subject is more relevant to T&C in some respects.
There may be a niche for examples from 'classic' (eek!) lenses as there is on other forums like Fred and Miranda, or mflenses.

Well we all know it's the photographer who makes the shot, but for me I hate crap lenses and give them away or bin them...and the only way we \ or I know what to get is by reading\talking about other people's experience on different lenses.

F&C is an restful oasis in a desert full of micro measuring gear head threads.....:angelic:

Still, if there was a thread for micro measuring gear head loons, it would keep other less suitable threads clean...:)

But where to put it?

And I'm not a micro measuring loon... honestly :)
I just like to see what a lens's output looks like, without having to use film sometimes, mainly because you can mount umpteen different manufacturer's lenses on something like a Nex by using adapters rather than buying umpteen different systems.

Simples.

I dunno, F&C somewhere

It seems a little trite to complain about digi pictures posted in the film section when we post digi pics of our gear in the gear thread, for convenience I know but, still...

On the other hand, it is a film forum, should we post the product of a lens digitally, lets face it unless the lens isn't capable of being mounted on a digi cam, then its a film only lens, how many of those are there, LF maybe....I dunno.
Personally, I couldn't care less what any lens looks like on an NEX or anything else digital, but there may be peeps that do so why not make a thread for it, at least then we can choose not to read it rather than having it scattered in everything willy nilly like..:)

*willy nilly*......note - must google that

scattered in everything willy nilly like..:)

*willy nilly*......note - must google that

Willy Nilly is the postman in Dylan Thomas' fantastic Under Milk Wood, not sure of its origins though, I'm sure we could ask Roberts to fetch the Encylopaedia Britanica from the library.

Last edited:
Sort of semi seriously though. I'm interested in people's experiences of getting the best out of crappy old lens.

The marvellous Anastigmat for example.

Might make for an interesting thread.

Did I mention the Yashica 28 - 50 f3.5 ML zoom that turned up last week?
One of the better zooms from those Halcyon days. Aeolus would be pleased.

Sort of semi seriously though. I'm interested in people's experiences of getting the best out of crappy old lens.

If I ever get time I've got a meniscus lens I want to stick on the front of my lf camera just to see how it looks.

If I ever get time I've got a meniscus lens I want to stick on the front of my lf camera just to see how it looks.

The only really useful thing I learned at university was during a major drinking session with a couple of astrophysicists.

Their mantra was, "let's try it and see what happens."

H'mm well I don't see the point as you can get VG lenses cheap but you have to know what they are. e.g. I'm testing out a Tamron 24mm on my Nikon FM and the result might be a good runner up to the Nikon 24mm at a much cheaper price. I've already posted the shots from a 24mm Vivitar (Nikon mount) recently and so far that would be a good 2nd best to the Nikon........I could go on for many more cheaper lenses (and quite a few I've posted here over the years).

Last edited:
Back