OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Well, being that I'm a bit of a rebel as I shoot both digital and film, this was taken with my digital camera.
I like to get books, so have plenty to keep me busy for a day or two....

However, I also received a pinhole camera(which was a surprise...!), so am looking forward to giving that a go.

And, earlier in the year, having sold my Mamiya RB, I decided I must have another, so replaced it with an RZ and a couple of lenses... and received a lens for that...

23662727669_096b637bef_b.jpg

Last edited:
Well, being that I'm a bit of a rebel as I shoot both digital and film, this was taken with my digital camera.
I like to get books, so have plenty to keep me busy for a day or two....

However, I also received a pinhole camera(which was a surprise...!), so am looking forward to giving that a go.

And, earlier in the year, having sold my Mamiya RB, I decided I must have another, so replaced it with an RZ and a couple of lenses... and received a lens for that...

23917602732_7267f2bce2_b.jpg

I wouldn't be without my digital camera, how else would I take photos of my film gear :D.

I wouldn't be without my digital camera, how else would I take photos of my film gear :D.
Well, I could be good and take it with my F100, and develop it straight away..... but I'd have to finish the whole roll then, and that might take awhile...

I have absolutely no idea when it comes to film (or much else for that matter!) but my girlfriend bought be this for Christmas and I must say I've had great fun giving it a quick whirl today!

EDIT:

Just thought I should add that I'm sorry if this thing makes you film purists feel a bit nauseous! But I'm finding it fun nonetheless.

Diana F+ by Dan Griffiths, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: Jao
Welcome to the best bit of TP, Dan... and the price of posting that image is posting some pics that you've actually taken with it! Who knows, you might convert more of us to the joys of... whatever it is ;) .

Indeed, it is a thing of great beauty compared to the T90
:D

:D :D
Definately different to the T90 as it looks like it has the shape of a trapezoid..h'mm probably the shot was taken with a digi thingy.

Some ASDAs do development - they're pretty much the cheapest round. Otherwise you have Max Spielmann, SnappySnaps, Boots on the high street, and many online places. Check out the thread I linked above for a long list of them.

The Fuji Superior is a perfectly fine film, btw.

Well by mine I have an Asda that processes film but I am moving in with my partner and there is a Snappy Snaps right by hers, I've sent her there today as I took my camera out with me and shot a roll.

I used a 50mm and a CPL as I was shooting cars. Not to sure how film works with CPL? One way for me to find out anyway, only way to learn I guess, but I loved looking through the viewfinder on the film camera rather than my digitial, I don't exactly know how to explain there difference, but I like it ha.

Well I picked up my two T70 bodies for about £8 each about 5 years ago and at these prices if you don't like using the camera throw it away or give to a charity shop, but if you don't mind a tank the T90 is fantastic and got a mint one also about 4 or 5 years ago for £55, and the shutter works perfectly but do fire it about every 3 weeks just in case it wants to stick.

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/t70/index.htm
http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canont90/index.htm
..and Canon FD and FDn lenses are very good and most of them are cheaper than other makes because there were so many made....but the digi guys are ruining it for filmies as the new mirrorless cameras can take FD lenses so the prices are going up for the best lenses :(

I've had an expensive month, next pay day I will pick a camera up for sure. I did see a Canon 50mm f1.2 FD lens recently on ebay. If only

Well I picked up my two T70 bodies for about £8 each about 5 years ago and at these prices if you don't like using the camera throw it away or give to a charity shop, but if you don't mind a tank the T90 is fantastic and got a mint one also about 4 or 5 years ago for £55, and the shutter works perfectly but do fire it about every 3 weeks just in case it wants to stick.

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/t70/index.htm
http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canont90/index.htm
..and Canon FD and FDn lenses are very good and most of them are cheaper than other makes because there were so many made....but the digi guys are ruining it for filmies as the new mirrorless cameras can take FD lenses so the prices are going up for the best lenses :(

Just had a look at those cameras they seem to have an essence of auto to them.

Gonna take a plunge for an AE-1 or A1 I think!

Just had a look at those cameras they seem to have an essence of auto to them.

Gonna take a plunge for an AE-1 or A1 I think!

Well after the mechanical age most makes had electronics of some sort also the use of plastic...the FD lenses were solid heavy lenses then Canon, I suppose to reduced costs, used plastic in the later FDn range.

If you like the AE-1 try and get the AE-1 program...it gives you something a bit extra.....the AE-1 and A1 will only work with a 6v battery, while the T range e.g. T70, T90 use common AA bateries
For the A range watch out for the cough and mirror is operating quickly also the battery door is easily broken so check that.....of course also check that the exposure meter is accurate etc etc
Good luck.... they will take just as good shots as a Nikon.....;) just to annoy the Nikon fan club :exit:

Well after the mechanical age most makes had electronics of some sort also the use of plastic...the FD lenses were solid heavy lenses then Canon, I suppose to reduced costs, used plastic in the later FDn range.

If you like the AE-1 try and get the AE-1 program...it gives you something a bit extra.....the AE-1 and A1 will only work with a 6v battery, while the T range e.g. T70, T90 use common AA bateries
For the A range watch out for the cough and mirror is operating quickly also the battery door is easily broken so check that.....of course also check that the exposure meter is accurate etc etc
Good luck.... they will take just as good shots as a Nikon.....;) just to annoy the Nikon fan club :exit:

Yeah I think if I get one I may send it off to be serviced for some peace of mind.

I'd thought you would have gone for the FTb..a good solid mechanical camera. Also one advantage using a Canon is you can get an adapter that can take screw lenses providing they can be stopped down...as if Auto lens only, the camera can't stop them down

I'd thought you would have gone for the FTb..a good solid mechanical camera. Also one advantage using a Canon is you can get an adapter that can take screw lenses providing they can be stopped down...as if Auto lens only, the camera can't stop them down

It sounds more reliable so it's a good shout. I will see what I can find at the time

Welcome to the Xpan club! Prepare to be disappointed with how many shots you get out of a roll now :D

I used a 50mm and a CPL as I was shooting cars. Not to sure how film works with CPL?

The polariser will do the same thing with film or digital and you'll see those effects through the viewfinder.

You can expect to lose about two stops of light.

The polariser will do the same thing with film or digital and you'll see those effects through the viewfinder.

You can expect to lose about two stops of light.

I did notice this, was having to over expose the photo slightly. Got my photos back. Will post a couple up somewhere when I have finished a few.

Picked up a Pentax-F 24-50mm f/4 at the Leamington LCE today. I've been looking to go wider than 28mm, and also to have a bit of zoom range. This seems to have a reasonable reputation on the PentaxForums reviews, and was reduced to a bargain £30, so if I don't like it I reckon I can sell for a bit more than that. I'd never looked at the auto-focus lenses before, but it doesn't seem to add too much weight; the manual focus is a bit compromised but I'm hoping it'll be OK. Seems to meter alright. Edited to add: not sure about F/4 with the winter light and film, so I might get a 24mm prime too, and possibly a 20mm!

@TheBigYin I think LCE would be worth adding to the film camera and equipment suppliers list in your resources sticky. They seem to have a pretty good stock of used film equipment, though apparently not all of it is on their web site (this lens wasn't). The Leam branch also has a stock of film; the guy said he's selling more film than ever before!

Last edited:
@TheBigYin I think LCE would be worth adding to the film camera and equipment suppliers list in your resources sticky. They seem to have a pretty good stock of used film equipment, though apparently not all of it is on their web site (this lens wasn't). The Leam branch also has a stock of film; the guy said he's selling more film than ever before!

I've added a link to their "branch finder" - as theres quite a few stores, It may be best to check with individual locations as to what's on offer...

I think I got a 127mm for the rb from LCE A few years ago, pretty good service as I remember and quite cheap too.

H'mm Chris.... a Pentax 24mm prime won't be cheap, might be worth considering cheaper alternatives as stopped down a bit, it would be difficult to see the difference....I have 4, 5 or 6 (can't be bothered to look for them) third party 24mms and they are all VG.

H'mm Chris.... a Pentax 24mm prime won't be cheap, might be worth considering cheaper alternatives as stopped down a bit, it would be difficult to see the difference....I have 4, 5 or 6 (can't be bothered to look for them) third party 24mms and they are all VG.

Thanks Brian, in fact I seem to have spent the past few days glued to the review sections of PentaxForums; they share reviews of both Pentax and 3rd party lenses with a common rating system, and I have 24 mms from Vivitar, Cosina, Tamron and Sigma in my watch list. I'm particularly annoyed as I was watching a mint-looking Pentax-A 24mm that had no bids, then missed the auction close due to Xmas. When it relisted, it sold for £113. :(

Nearly bid for a Vivitar (Kiron) 24mm today, but reading the reviews, everyone said the aperture jammed wide open because of oil on the blades. Decided to give that one a miss. That's why I decided to go for the zoom. Gives me a chance to play, anyway.

I've added a link to their "branch finder" - as theres quite a few stores, It may be best to check with individual locations as to what's on offer...

Thanks Mark.

Thanks Brian, in fact I seem to have spent the past few days glued to the review sections of PentaxForums; they share reviews of both Pentax and 3rd party lenses with a common rating system, and I have 24 mms from Vivitar, Cosina, Tamron and Sigma in my watch list. I'm particularly annoyed as I was watching a mint-looking Pentax-A 24mm that had no bids, then missed the auction close due to Xmas. When it relisted, it sold for £113. :(

Nearly bid for a Vivitar (Kiron) 24mm today, but reading the reviews, everyone said the aperture jammed wide open because of oil on the blades. Decided to give that one a miss. That's why I decided to go for the zoom. Gives me a chance to play, anyway.

Well I've posted quite a few shots with one of my favourite lenses 24mm Sigma super wide.....it's an exc copy. Also posted shots of my Vivitar (Komine) 24mm f2 which gave a lovely glow wide open which is great for certain shots but stopped down is very sharp. I think I've posted shots from my Ensinor and Tamron (I think I have a Tamron and sure I have another 24mm somewhere)..............but it depends what camera I'm using for the lenses and the most 24mm shots posted are with my Canon and Sigma.
Anyway good luck in finding your prime and send it back if it's not a good copy as even these lenses are not dirt cheap anymore.

Last edited:
I used the new 24-50 zoom today, and not sure I'm impressed. Trying to get a quick shot of a weir, at the tail end of a walking group, I couldn't get the aperture ring to move (later decided it's just a bit stiff), and then found that the focus ring is really narrow. I think I'll hang on to it for those occasions when a zoom is just right, though. I had a look at the 20mm Pentax lenses, and they are £300 or so. There is a Kiron 20mm f/3.8 that I can't find reviewed; doesn't seem even to be an equivalent Vivitar. Back to the 24mms... Sadly the 24mm Sigma Super Wide I was watching got snapped up as did the Cosinon-W 24mm, so I've jumped on a Tamron 01B Adaptall-2 lens (no mount, but I've got two spare) 24mm f/2.5. Looks a nice lens with a good rep, rather more than I wanted to pay, but let's hope it's worth it.

I used the new 24-50 zoom today, and not sure I'm impressed. Trying to get a quick shot of a weir, at the tail end of a walking group, I couldn't get the aperture ring to move (later decided it's just a bit stiff), and then found that the focus ring is really narrow. I think I'll hang on to it for those occasions when a zoom is just right, though. I had a look at the 20mm Pentax lenses, and they are £300 or so. There is a Kiron 20mm f/3.8 that I can't find reviewed; doesn't seem even to be an equivalent Vivitar. Back to the 24mms... Sadly the 24mm Sigma Super Wide I was watching got snapped up as did the Cosinon-W 24mm, so I've jumped on a Tamron 01B Adaptall-2 lens (no mount, but I've got two spare) 24mm f/2.5. Looks a nice lens with a good rep, rather more than I wanted to pay, but let's hope it's worth it.

I'm not impressed with the Pentax M 24mm-35mm f3.5....it's OK but if you compare with a 24mm or 35mm prime it's outclassed..well it's to be expected but if I have a 24mm and 35mm primes why use the Pentax zoom.

I've never been, but people say Gray's of Westminster is the business if you like Nikon.

I've never been either but have picked up a couple of accessories from them via internet / phone and they have been very helpful, with a service second to none ( what they don't know about Nikon aint worth knowing about) , albiet they are a tad expensive but you get what you pay for as the saying goes!

Even the camera shops just outside London or expensive IMO compared to the bay...but I suppose they do offer a longer guarantee, but then the buyer has protection on the bay and you can send it back if not working properly (well it's time limited to a reasonable time).

I've never been, but people say Gray's of Westminster is the business if you like Nikon.

It is. Well worth popping in. You'll see stuff you didn't know you needed....

I was alrady thinking going to the westminster nikon one since my father in law loves nikon and mentioned iit to me.

Another thing i wil ldo is visit leica mayfaiir and try to do the leica experiencia if possible.

I am going to look for an m6 however i want a olympus xa as wel... any sugestions where to get good ones?

Back