OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

yers i know but that is because if i buy olympus is just to keep me entertained until i buy the leica...

I really hope i can see a mint condition m6 ttl on the market this thursday

BTW that olympus is really cheaap..... i think i am interested... Are batteries expensivE?

Im looking for an XA with the flash ideally but i will let you know how it goes! I want something to introduce me to rangefinder
I thought about the xpro but the new is comming out soon and i want film

The rangefinder patch on the XA can be quite faint, and it's a very small camera; fairly different from the classic rangefinders. An alternative which is larger and a real class camera is the Canonet QL17. Evil bay prices range from £50 to £150 or so. Excellent f/1.7 lens, inbuilt meter...

Im looking for an XA with the flash ideally but i will let you know how it goes! I want something to introduce me to rangefinder
I thought about the xpro but the new is comming out soon and i want film

I sold my Fuji x100s and spent ages looking for a film camera to replace it. The requirements I had were: very high quality lens, 35mm focal length, similar size, weight and handling to the x100s, quiet, high quality build, excellent viewfinder. I found the Hexar AF was the closest thing that exists. You can't focus manually, but that's about the only difference in general use. It's also not a big issue because the AF is incredibly fast and accurate.

http://www.johanniels.com/index.php...7-konica-hexar-af-the-ultimate-compact-camera

http://oldcamreview.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/best-street-shooter-ever-konica-hexar.html

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2011/09/the-konica-hexar-af-the-quietest-camera-in-the-world/

If you want manual focus then take a look at things like the Canon QL17 GIII and Minolta 7SII. They have good viewfinders for the class of camera and very good lenses.

<shameless plug> Ask very nicely and I may be willing to sell you my beautiful Hexar (I shoot almost exclusively medium format, so it gets nowhere near the use it deserves). </shameless plug>

I remember owning a tiny Richo which was a nice rangefinder.

OK, some posts above I mentioned a 24-50 Pentax-F zoom. I'm beginning to think that has to go back; it's slightly annoying that the focus ring is very thin, but it's very annoying that the aperture ring locks and won't turn sometimes without great force. I'm going to dev the most recent film soon, and work out whether I just want to return it or ask for money off for a CLA next time I send stuff to Miles.

I've also just received a Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm f/2.5 off the evil bay. Turns out it had a Nikon AI mount on that I've managed to get off, and replace with one of my Pentax ones. However, there appears to be dust inside the included skylight filter, and I can't prise it off the lens. I don't usually use skylight filters anyway. Unless I can get it off and reassure myself the filter thread is ok, that will have to go back, too. Any suggestions on how to get a 55mm ring off, please?

OK, some posts above I mentioned a 24-50 Pentax-F zoom. I'm beginning to think that has to go back; it's slightly annoying that the focus ring is very thin, but it's very annoying that the aperture ring locks and won't turn sometimes without great force. I'm going to dev the most recent film soon, and work out whether I just want to return it or ask for money off for a CLA next time I send stuff to Miles.

I've also just received a Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm f/2.5 off the evil bay. Turns out it had a Nikon AI mount on that I've managed to get off, and replace with one of my Pentax ones. However, there appears to be dust inside the included skylight filter, and I can't prise it off the lens. I don't usually use skylight filters anyway. Unless I can get it off and reassure myself the filter thread is ok, that will have to go back, too. Any suggestions on how to get a 55mm ring off, please?
Rubber band to give more grip.
A little vinegar applied at the join to loosen any gunk.

Well with some lenses the body unscrews using too much force :eek:.....using liquid and you have to be careful it doesn't get into the lens, so I carefully use a hacksaw with the lens upside down to cuts slots then a thin peice of metal to unscrew (maybe a nail file would do for leverage if no suitable metal?).....of course carefully use a blower to remove any filings that might have got onto the lens.

Last edited:
Been offered a partial refund of £30 which might go towards a CLA, but if the thread is buggered I can't see that a CLA would help. I'll have a go with the rubber band idea, but I don't want to be using liquid or hacksaws on it if it might go back.

I was thinking I'd be likely to be using filters on it for BW and landscapes etc. But is 24mm too wide for filters (vignetting etc)?

If the rubber band method doesn't work wonder if the lens barrel & the filter are made of different metals? If so they could have different thermal expansion properties. Aluminium expands/contracts at something like 5 times the rate of steel. Wonder if you tried something cold on the edge of the filter whether it would cause a bit of expansion/contraction in the thread & loosen it? Not suggesting to chill the lens to the point of risking condensation forming inside it mind. Just the edge of the filter.

Been offered a partial refund of £30 which might go towards a CLA, but if the thread is buggered I can't see that a CLA would help. I'll have a go with the rubber band idea, but I don't want to be using liquid or hacksaws on it if it might go back.

I was thinking I'd be likely to be using filters on it for BW and landscapes etc. But is 24mm too wide for filters (vignetting etc)?

If I've identified the correct one, that filter (Skylight 1A) looks like it pretty old, and has been on the lens for a good long while. £30 would be a substantial chunk off the original price, but seeing as good examples seem to be selling on auction for £45-50, if the threads really are shot, it's going to be pointless.

That said, the rubber band idea is definitely worth a shot - I've always managed to get stubborn filters off that way.

Rubber band to give more grip.
A little vinegar applied at the join to loosen any gunk.
Well with some lenses the body unscrews using too much force :eek:
If I've identified the correct one, that filter (Skylight 1A) looks like it pretty old, and has been on the lens for a good long while. £30 would be a substantial chunk off the original price, but seeing as good examples seem to be selling on auction for £45-50, if the threads really are shot, it's going to be pointless.

That said, the rubber band idea is definitely worth a shot - I've always managed to get stubborn filters off that way.

OK I've tried the rubber band, no additional liquid... and as Brian suggested, the front part of the lens housing came off with the filter still attached to it!

I had to ask Miles about some other items including the Pentax MX with possible faulty shutter, so I asked about that as well. But I think it'll probably go back. I haven't seen any over the past few weeks going for those prices, FC2, but there is a variety of options. And who knows, a Pentax-A version might come up while I'm fiddling about!

Have you tried putting it in a Ziplok bag and leaving it in the fridge overnight and then trying ? I have had that work with stuck filters in the past....

OK I've tried the rubber band, no additional liquid... and as Brian suggested, the front part of the lens housing came off with the filter still attached to it!

I had to ask Miles about some other items including the Pentax MX with possible faulty shutter, so I asked about that as well. But I think it'll probably go back. I haven't seen any over the past few weeks going for those prices, FC2, but there is a variety of options. And who knows, a Pentax-A version might come up while I'm fiddling about!
Should have used the vinegar! :)

Have you tried putting it in a Ziplok bag and leaving it in the fridge overnight and then trying ? I have had that work with stuck filters in the past....

It worked with my welded on large format lens that wouldn't release from the lens board. Definitely worth a punt.

not entirely sure what to do with these but i saw them in the junk box of the local camera shop and with a snazzy new cable release for a tenner all in i couldnt ignore. I blame Ansel Adams for mentioning all the Wratten numbers in his books.

Theyre very thin, flexible gelatine filters. So i need to find an adaptor / holder for them somewhere.

Lee list a Gelsnap adaptor; I believe other people make them as well.

Theoretically, removes the effect of colour to let you visualise in black and white.

visualize in b/w ??

right....forget the wratten 90, which one allows us to visualize in colour, cos snap needs a pair made in to glasses, when I say need, I mean......NEED

:D

A Tiffen #1 B&W Viewing filter is the same as a Wratten 90 (it's Tiffen who market the official Kodak Wratten filters under licence anyway) and it's conveniently mounted in an eyepiece holder (as the filter itself is not designed for taking pictures through) for easy use to judge density. You can get them from WEXphotographic for £45.

See here: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-vanguard-2go-12z-zoom-bag-black/p1535905

Not a toy as such but just got around 100 mid 80's dated editions of Amateur Photographer magazine off ebay for £3 the lot. Had a 120 mile round trip drive to get them but am in hog heaven flicking through them. A lot of my favourite cameras are from that time & seeing the Ads & reviews for them is nice.

Well just as well I didn't keep my piles of AP and Practical Photography if they are only worth £3 now :D

Have you tried putting {the Tamron 24mm lens with a stuck filter} in a Ziplok bag and leaving it in the fridge overnight and then trying ? I have had that work with stuck filters in the past....
It worked with my welded on large format lens that wouldn't release from the lens board. Definitely worth a punt.

I meant to say, I tried this. Next day I thought it had worked, then I realised I was unscrewing the front of the lens again. So back it went. Two days later I got a phone call from the seller, who'd just opened it, and apparently the filter came off straight away! Did I want it back? I decided that I didn't... I'd just seen a Pentax-A 24mm f/2.8 on the evil bay, and that lens is now mine, and looking good. Don't think I'll bother getting a 20mm lens until I'm a lot more comfortable with this one!

Got a replacement mamiya 645 AFD from ffordes. The original that I bought from them back in september last year had a shutter fault that took me a while to properly diagnose. (inaccurate above sync as the speed wasn't changing) It's in better condition than the original which they couldn't get a new shutter for.

Got a replacement mamiya 645 AFD from ffordes. The original that I bought from them back in september last year had a shutter fault that took me a while to properly diagnose. (inaccurate above sync as the speed wasn't changing) It's in better condition than the original which they couldn't get a new shutter for.

That is why we should all buy our camera,s from reputable dealers,it looks great and I hope you enjoy.

I cannot wait see the results.

Back