OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Well, no, I've done a few 10x8 rc warmtone in straight chems, but I'm just messing with 10x8, I really want 12x16.
So the WT paper I was going to do in WT dev is actually 12x16 FB
The WT 10x8 rc was not striking warmer than ordinary paper tbh, but I like it anyway, I was just wondering if using WT dev with WT paper produces a tone that I'd find a step too far, I dunno.
It is something I need to bottom before I waste 5 sheets of 12x16 FB WT finding out, this is the horse I fell off, I may just stay fallen off and stick with what I know I like..:)
Just had a look at the Ilford website, and strangely enough it says that Warmtone dev is for use with all b&w papers, rather than just warmtone papers. :thinking:

Product Description​

HARMAN WARMTONE is a liquid concentrate developer suitable for dish/tray developing all traditional black & white darkroom papers.
With excellent keeping properties, HARMAN WARMTONE uses a dilution of 1+9 to give prints a stunning look with warmer blacks and creamy highlights that enhance the look of darkroom prints.

Last edited:
Well, no, I've done a few 10x8 rc warmtone in straight chems, but I'm just messing with 10x8, I really want 12x16.
So the WT paper I was going to do in WT dev is actually 12x16 FB
The WT 10x8 rc was not striking warmer than ordinary paper tbh, but I like it anyway, I was just wondering if using WT dev with WT paper produces a tone that I'd find a step too far, I dunno.
It is something I need to bottom before I waste 5 sheets of 12x16 FB WT finding out, this is the horse I fell off, I may just stay fallen off and stick with what I know I like..:)
I won’t be buying WT Dev for this pack of 10 sheets of WT fiber paper as I don’t know yet if I’m going to like the subtle warmness to the resulting image that will come with standard chems.

I only bought the paper as it was going for a song ( 20€ !!) and I thought why not try it at that price.

If I fall in love with what it offers and I make it a regular paper then I probably will try specific developer but that’s likely going to be a while off yet.

Exactly
How warm is WT FB in WT dev
Only one way to find out......over to Asha... :LOL:

Ok ok I’ll see about experimenting.
Next time i go to Nice I’ll call in the camera supplies shop and see if they have some WT Dev at a sensible price , even if they have it at all as they stock very limited filmie related products.

Failing that , I’ll add it to my fotoimpex wishlist .
Don’t get excited, it could still be there waiting to be purchased when the next presidential elections come around ! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
One of the cameras that I hankered after maybe 12 yrs ago, was an Ensign Selfix 820. They went for too much for me at the time.
Cute looking, heavy, capable four element lens, 6x6 or 6x9. I had the 16-20 and the 12-20 which performed well.
Now, as (film) GAS slowly takes hold again, I found a nice example on the auction site and bought it for a quarter of what they went for back then.

Looking forward to actually using it, rather than just testing one....

Ensign820.jpg

Last edited:
The other day I reviewed the prints that I made in a test comparing the effects of neutral and warm tone RC papers, neutral and WT developers, and selenium and sepia toners, in twenty different combinations.

I could barely tell the difference when a warm tone developer was used compared to a neutral developer.

So I decided I didn’t need to buy any warm tone developer.

The other day I reviewed the prints that I made in a test comparing the effects of neutral and warm tone RC papers, neutral and WT developers, and selenium and sepia toners, in twenty different combinations.

I could barely tell the difference when a warm tone developer was used compared to a neutral developer.

So I decided I didn’t need to buy any warm tone developer.
Now I'm on a PC I've found the link to my blog article showing the full results:

One of the cameras that I hankered after maybe 12 yrs ago, was an Ensign Selfix 820. They went for too much for me at the time.
Cute looking, heavy, capable four element lens, 6x6 or 6x9. I had the 16-20 and the 12-20 which performed well.
Now, as (film) GAS slowly takes hold again, I found a nice example on the auction site and bought it for a quarter of what they went for back then.

Looking forward to actually using it, rather than just testing one....

View attachment 352614
As long as it's a good one you should enjoy using it and it should give nice results. The 16/20 with the Ross Xpres lens is a little cracker too and worth a punt if you find a fully working one at the right price.

Mixed results at this morning's car boot in Hanley. One item in full working order other will go to my Intensive Care Unit box. Medis rangefinder £2 and Canon FT QL £4. The background is one of my daughter's scarves.

IMG_20220508_142105.jpg

Which is which?

The Medis is A OK. Canon has dent by film wind lever, shutter problems, prism problems, focus screen misalignment and lens will only do manual stop down (but lens clean and fungus free)

Last edited:
Mixed results at this morning's car boot in Hanley. One item in full working order other will go to my Intensive Care Unit box. Medis rangefinder £2 and Canon FT QL £4. The background is one of my daughter's scarves.

View attachment 352873

Which is which?

The Medis is A OK. Canon has dent by film wind lever, shutter problems, prism problems, focus screen misalignment and lens will only do manual stop down (but lens clean and fungus free)
Thad annar a bad 'aul, duck! Well, you did say it came from Hanley. ;)

Reactions: dmb

View attachment 352873

Which is which?

The scarf looks minty though…… I’ll take it , let’s go to classifieds/PM :naughty::LOL::LOL:

I've got a non-functioning one of this Weston model with both the invercone and another attachment which you use in bright light conditions with the invercone it seems. You are welcome to have the invercone, attachments and instructions (boxed!) PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post, I won't include the defunct meter as it weighs the same as a housebrick, unless you really want it. Do you want the case as well, it's a bit rough.

By the way, the invercone instructions say it is suitable for the Master II, so maybe the size of the cone didn't increase until the Master III came out.

Finally got round to refurbishing the meter case you kindly sent with the invercone and filter. The felt lining is now re-attached and managed to fit a new outer press-stud so it closes, little bit of saddle soap and light tan shoe polish and the leather is happier. The invercone and filter work perfectly on the original Master and I found my Master II and they work with that as well and good snug fit in its case. Thanks so much Peter :D
IMG_20220510_091149.jpg

Last edited:
If I ever manage to produce a negative that pleases me enough to show it off as a BIG style print , I have acquired two moderate sized wooden frames , the largest offering a viewing area of 127 x 95cm :naughty:

In the meantime I could of course show off a 35mm contact print mounted in the center of the frame on black matt board :LOL:

I may just have to mount the frames on the wall as they are simply to store them! :wideyed:

And to think that they only cost me €13 for the pair from the local bric a brac store:)

FC14A1CB-6FCA-4D5A-BD0B-083AF5C26214.jpeg88DBEFA3-31FB-4800-AB92-30F98A7E5292.jpeg

If I ever manage to produce a negative that pleases me enough to show it off as a BIG style print , I have acquired two moderate sized wooden frames , the largest offering a viewing area of 127 x 95cm :naughty:

In the meantime I could of course show off a 35mm contact print mounted in the center of the frame on black matt board :LOL:

I may just have to mount the frames on the wall as they are simply to store them! :wideyed:

And to think that they only cost me €13 for the pair from the local bric a brac store:)

View attachment 353240View attachment 353241
I bet the Tate Modern would love to exhibit those two frames like that as an 'installation'. All you need is a suitable title for it, such as 'Framed Introspective' and you've cracked it! ;)

Finally got round to refurbishing the meter case you kindly sent with the invercone and filter. The felt lining is now re-attached and managed to fit a new outer press-stud so it closes, little bit of saddle soap and light tan shoe polish and the leather is happier. The invercone and filter work perfectly on the original Master and I found my Master II and they work with that as well and good snug fit in its case. Thanks so much Peter :D
View attachment 353188
Very pleased you managed to make use of the case and invercone. You made an excellent job of the case, by the way.

I've a C330f and 4 lenses and it is the one camera set that I have never even considered selling.

A little bit of a stretch, present from my wife today. If the weather is good enough I'll wear this to the meetup at Smallwood on 28th May.

Compress_20220514_172702_2074.jpg

I've bought this for £15 from an auction site.
IMG_20220616_102245260.jpg

It's a Minolta 16 ii It all seems to work inc apertures and shutter speeds. The wrapped Kodak film in the above pic is a 110 cartridge tho.

IMG_20220616_102203592.jpg

However in the camera was a used Minolta cartridge thankfully. They are either expensive or hard to find on their own. It also has film in the cartridge so that will be good practice for developing a 16mm x 18" film strip. I don't have a 16mm film spiral (again expensive or hard to find) so I'll probably try deving it laid out flat in a shallow, narrow tray at least 20" long - in complete darkness.

IMG_20220616_102301239.jpg

Of course to use it I'm going to need to reload the cassette with 16mm film ( I realise the 10mm x 14mm neg size is going be v limiting). I could go 16mm movie film but I'm opting for a 35mm to 16mm film slitter from Italy for £35. So to use a tiny and obsolete albeit gorgeous and extremely well made camera is getting pricey - and that's before any slitter import duties, yikes!

Last edited:
I've bought this for £15 from an auction site.
View attachment 357406

It's a Minolta 16 ii It all seems to work inc apertures and shutter speeds. The wrapped Kodak film in the above pic is a 110 cartridge tho.

View attachment 357407

However in the camera was a used Minolta cartridge thankfully. They are either expensive or hard to find on their own. It also has film in the cartridge so that will be good practice for developing a 16mm x 18" film strip. I don't have a 16mm film spiral (again expensive or hard to find) so I'll probably try deving it laid out flat in a shallow, narrow tray at least 20" long - in complete darkness.

View attachment 357409

Of course to use it I'm going to need to reload the cassette with 16mm film ( I realise the 10mm x 14mm neg size is going be v limiting). I could go 16mm movie film but I'm opting for a 35mm to 16mm film slitter from Italy for £35. So to use a tiny and obsolete albeit gorgeous and extremely well made camera is getting pricey - and that's before any slitter import duties, yikes!
I used to have one which was also complete with a yellow filter and additional cartridges.

Iirc I too cut 35mm film to size.

For developing, I butchered a plastic film spiral by cutting the spindle that holds the two flanges together so that the distance between the flanges allowed for 16mm film to be mounted into the slots.

Of course having cut the spindle, I had to glue the two halves together which meant that the usual method of loading film with the help of the little ball bearings, was no longer possible.

Removal of the said ball bearings and simply pushing ( gently) the film onto the spiral which given its short length , posed no real difficulties.

All in all a bit finicky including the actual using of the camera itself but it was fun for the time that I possessed it.

Last edited:
My new project! Picked up from an auction at the weekend for £3. The bellows actually look to be in pretty good condition which was the main thing i was worried about. The lens, what there is of it! is clean. Aperture is simply a dial with several holes of different sizes that you rotate around the lens. No shutter, just an on/off cap arrangement. I dont think i will be risking any Velvia in it, but Fomapan will be fine :)

Last edited:

My new project! Picked up from an auction at the weekend for £3. The bellows actually look to be in pretty good condition which was the main thing i was worried about. The lens, what there is of it! is clean. Aperture is simply a dial with several holes of different sizes that you rotate around the lens. No shutter, just an on/off cap arrangement. I dont think i will be risking any Velvia in it, but Fomapan will be fine :)

That’s a steel!

The lens actually might be complete as some outfits such as the Lancaster (iirc) had a lens with no front element.

Hopefully you can restore it and get the occasional exposure through it.

Reminds me that I still have an old 13x18 cm format French LF outfitti restore…..

Red Letter Day!

Clipboard01.jpg

Ebay delivery today. Finally have a Canon T80 that does actually autofocus. Have tested the other lenses that came with the 3 previous bodies and they all work too. That means I also have a working 75-200 lens and a couple of spare working 35-70 lenses and one working but fungal infected one. So 3 bodies to dispose of for spares and repairs. Will do a quick test tonight and if OK take it to Astle Park tomorrow for the F&C meetup.

<edit> 1900hrs - I have negatives, temperature may have risen in tank as look a little over developed, </edit>
<edit> 2100hrs - dried and scanned, just a quick run round the garden testing autofocus and exposure </edit>

T80_contact.jpg

Last edited:
Took another gamble on a lens from Japan.

Canon FD 200mm f2.8. Been wanting something a little longer since selling the 135 mm f2.

Here is the listing photo of the lens. No mention of haze, fungus or any issues with the aperture blades and hardly any signs of use so fingers crossed that rings true in person.

Question for the FD experts. Is this the ‘gen 2’ version with internal focusing instead of helicoil? I believed it was due to the hood having the knurlings.

Attachments

• DD788BB4-2605-4DB9-B0BF-80B90977A8CA.jpeg
    DD788BB4-2605-4DB9-B0BF-80B90977A8CA.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Finally have a Canon T80 that does actually autofocus.
I've had one for a while but only ran a film through it on Saterday. I found it fun to use and the photos came out well, I just posted one in "show us your film shots". Belive it or not I worked in a camera shop when this was a new camera.

Red Letter Day!

View attachment 363521

Ebay delivery today. Finally have a Canon T80 that does actually autofocus. Have tested the other lenses that came with the 3 previous bodies and they all work too. That means I also have a working 75-200 lens and a couple of spare working 35-70 lenses and one working but fungal infected one. So 3 bodies to dispose of for spares and repairs. Will do a quick test tonight and if OK take it to Astle Park tomorrow for the F&C meetup.

<edit> 1900hrs - I have negatives, temperature may have risen in tank as look a little over developed, </edit>
<edit> 2100hrs - dried and scanned, just a quick run round the garden testing autofocus and exposure </edit>

View attachment 363536

Well you do have company of owning one (or two) of the Canon "T" range as I'm a fan of the T70 but also have the T90 (y)

WYC just sent me a couple of tea bags so that I have something to drink while admiring my new (to me) Grafmatic and a recessed lens board that's the right size for a Super Angulon 47mm XL (which they kindly left attached for me).

I have just taken delivery of an Olympus XA2 (I got it confusing the 2 with the XA), the A11 flash, the hard case and carry case.
It sounds like its working properly, I'm intending to run a roll of film through it tomorrow to fully test it out.

Oh, and three rolls of film, an old agfa vista 200, and two rolls of agfa hdc 200. Never heard of that one.

I'd had no GAS for a couple of weeks. I was feeling much better, getting down to using the gear that I already have..... but I "tried" a couple of faulty Konica C35's which, it turns out, have more wrong with them than simply a battery wire off (so they're beyond my skill set).
I have a soft spot for 50's and 60's cameras, particularly Balda cameras. I risked a small amount on a pair of cameras that the seller said he knew nothing about (usual code for " they're faulty"), but one looked nice and clean. Here it is, just back from a test shoot by the canal. Around 12 B&W frames that try to test as much as I can. Looks as if all the images came out, I'll scan it later. Here is the camera, looking almost mint. The other (a Baldina) really is faulty/scrap.
Baldamatic 1
BaldamaticI.jpg

Last edited:
I'd had no GAS for a couple of weeks. I was feeling much better, getting down to using the gear that I already have..... but I "tried" a couple of faulty Konica C35's which, it turns out, have more wrong with them than simply a battery wire off (so they're beyond my skill set).
I have a soft spot for 50's and 60's cameras, particularly Balda cameras. I risked a small amount on a pair of cameras that the seller said he knew nothing about (usual code for " they're faulty"), but one looked nice and clean. Here it is, just back from a test shoot by the canal. Around 12 B&W frames that try to test as much as I can. Looks as if all the images came out, I'll scan it later. Here is the camera, looking almost mint. The other (a Baldina) really is faulty/scrap.
Baldamatic 1
View attachment 371647
I have a Balda Super Matic (59-63) with the same lens and it is great fun. Years ago I had the Baldessa RF-LK with the Baldanar lens and that was weird but fun too!

I have a Balda Super Matic (59-63) with the same lens and it is great fun. Years ago I had the Baldessa RF-LK with the Baldanar lens and that was weird but fun too!
I've had very good results from several of my Baldanar lensed cameras. My favourite vintage RF camera is my 1955ish Baldina. My ~64 Baldamatic ii scale focus is also very capable, but dealing with scale focus requires a bit more skill.

Last edited:
I dropped and broke my Weston Master V a week a so ago so needed a replacement meter. This came from Ffordes auction site store for £20 delivered. They promptly answered my questions about whether it was accurate (they replied: "was checked against a Sekonic L308B meter and they were reading the same so I think its fine" so that's good enough for me).

IMG_20221106_133424145_HDR.jpg

It's a basic meter but I like it a lot. I can read off it without my glasses. :)

I also took a chance on a further Weston Master V from a different auction site seller. Fully cased with the Invercone and that seems accurate too.

Last edited:
I like Gossen meters, and use a Lunasix (bought new in December 1965) in preference to my Sekonic spot meter. Enjoy it.

Today I obtained a top of the range ( O.K quite a stretch of the imagination !) Digitalless Full frame Mirrorless Nikon camera. I could find the memory card slot so someone suggested looking inside, It turns out it use a memory device that is rolled up like toilet roll ! It appealed to me as it has a pretty wide 28mm lens, the end of the scale I tend to use a lot !

WIDE.JPG

It's the Pacman edition as well !

pac.JPG

Last edited:
Unomat P360TCT twin for my soon to regularly use Mayima C3

IMG_20221111_161305543.jpg

IMG_20221111_161219729_HDR.jpg

It's in amazing condition and looks like it's never been used. £25 delivered from Heritage Cameras (S.Wales based) via eBay. Not someone I'd used or even heard of before but there is even a label indicating what they tested the trigger voltage at. Never mind it was very well wrapped they even included 4 x AA's. I am happy.

Edit: it even comes with a 3 month warranty.

Last edited:
Just acquired a Periflex - something I always hankered after in my youth and now in old age can indulge myself with.

It came with a Periflash electronic flash gun. Intersting construction in aluminium sheet. Large capacitor to fire the flash and mains powered.

Unfortunately it only has a 2 cord flex. I think that I may fit a new 3 core flex with a proper earth before I plug it in!

I remember the Periflex adverts from when I was slightly younger than I am now :). It's a piece of history.

Back