OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Shooting medium format is wonderful - I just personally feel that 35mm can be so close to digital sometimes!

Well I got/inherited something new (old) yesterday and I am quite excited. I was visiting with my grandfather in the hospital last night and he asked if my mother had given me his old camera yet. No was the answer. So upon arriving home my dad digs it out.

It's a Certix A. If my research is correct it was manufactured in the early 30s. Shutter opens and closes at all speeds and there are no tears or holes in the bellows. I couldn't find out a great deal about it to be honest. The camerapedia page had clickable links for most of the Certix range but not for the A or B :bang:

I am assuming it takes 120 film :shrug: If so I'll pick some up tomorrow and try to load it. I have never loaded a 120 camera before only many many 35mm ones. Should be fun :D

Any tips would be gratefully received (y)

Well I got/inherited something new (old) yesterday and I am quite excited. I was visiting with my grandfather in the hospital last night and he asked if my mother had given me his old camera yet. No was the answer. So upon arriving home my dad digs it out.

It's a Certix A. If my research is correct it was manufactured in the early 30s. Shutter opens and closes at all speeds and there are no tears or holes in the bellows. I couldn't find out a great deal about it to be honest. The camerapedia page had clickable links for most of the Certix range but not for the A or B :bang:

I am assuming it takes 120 film :shrug: If so I'll pick some up tomorrow and try to load it. I have never loaded a 120 camera before only many many 35mm ones. Should be fun :D

Any tips would be gratefully received (y)

Looks to be a 120 6x9 format. If it all works well it will give you some lovely big negatives!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/certix/

Last edited:
@norters Thats just beautiful. Everything working? I'd love to see the photographs it produces!

I bought it purely for the aesthetic qualities it has. The shape and Bakelite casing makes it very tactile and just beautiful in my eyes.

It's clearly seen better days and will unlikely be of any practical use, but thanks for the link. I had struggled to find much out about it.

There are a few old Bakelite light meters around, most of them dont work very well, but they are very tactile as you say and worth keeping just because:)

This one does work, but is no way accurate, i have seen the same one, made by and badged Weston, but this one is made by Weston but for Leica.

4662653729_46ae66960b_b.jpg

My SX-70 just arrived, for the price I paid, I am VERY happy with it. I just need to wait for my impossible film packs to arrive then I get out with it. The leather needs replacing but that's easily sorted, the main body is in excellent condition!

My dad works in a uni that's downsizing and they are getting rid of anything that they can't fit in the new building/havent used in a while.

Today he brought me this,

428703_380858298600085_100000277543663_1482867_1592567362_n.jpg

That's my X100 beside it, it's absolutely massive!

Looking for film, there's an instruction eaflet in the leather case about type 45 polaroid roll film, so far I've only been able to find a roll of type 47 on eBay so not sure if that'll fit.

It's in pretty good nick, there's a light meter that goes in the hot?shoe (the shoe itself is oversized just like the rest of the camera!) and a flash gun in rather poor nick all in a lovely fitted leather case.

I reckon if I can't find film I might try and put paper in it and use it as a very big, very heavy pinhole camera or something.

He also brought me a Pentax SV and a Zenit B. Anyone tell me why the Zenit has two shutter releases?

That Polaroid is just magnificent.

I picked this up in a charity shop Tuesday for the pricely sum of £3.

Put a new battery and a roll of Superia X-tra 400 in and it seems to be working great, even with a few battle scars. It's a tiny camera but with high quality 35mm f/2.8 glass optics. :)

OlympusmjuII.jpg

Nice find with the Mju II - I've been using one for the last month or so and it's really impressed me!

So, Here's the SX-70.... just need to throw £15 at it for a new covering, but I am well pleased with it!!

6839895336_d54309cb75_z.jpg

I picked up a Pentax ME Super and case on freecycle a couple of weeks ago, the body is mint and light seals look ok. Cant wait to put some film in it.

I had a few items arrive for my GX680 MkII, got a bit of a shock though, the total for the duty, VAT and Handling Fees was £301.

I got a 180mm f5.6 GX-M lens
a 65mm f5.6 GX-M lens
Pro bellows lens hood
2 spare film backs with 2 additional inserts
Long extension rails (for macro)
Long W/A Bag Bellows (for macro with tilt/shift)
Short W/A Bag Bellows
Mirror finder
Adapter plate for Hasselblad V to GX680 (to enable me to use my digital back)

One more item to get and that will be my outfit complete (well apart from the donkey needed to carry it all around).

The X10 hanging from the camera is to give a sense of scale.

GX680.jpg

freecom2 said:
Could accidentally send it to me... by accident :bonk:

The Tessar on the T has a superb reputation. First TLR?

Not exactly. Have been using a lubitel 2. Should be a bit of a step up!

freecom2 said:
I reckon you'll love it - Rollei's are wonderful cameras to shoot with.

Thanks. Kind of excited now! Just need to work out whether I want to splash out on a proper meter. My phone app works quite well at present. Perhaps save that for another day.

I picked up a Pentax ME Super and case on freecycle a couple of weeks ago, the body is mint and light seals look ok. Cant wait to put some film in it.

pics emma1 we need pics ,,,,then we need pics taken with the camera in the pics

Ed ,you sure thats not one of Spielbergs old movie cameras ,,:LOL:

donutagain said:
Ed ,you sure thats not one of Spielbergs old movie cameras ,,:LOL:

Looks more like the sort of thing you'd see hung under an army helicopter in Afghanistan :D

Rolleis make for a great companion to a Leica. Just scanned in two rolls from my 3.5B, I'm always surprised at how good the image quality is from that old Tessar.

FruitFlakes said:
Rolleis make for a great companion to a Leica. Just scanned in two rolls from my 3.5B, I'm always surprised at how good the image quality is from that old Tessar.

Hopefully! Having combed Flickr, rff and the web generally for sample images the T looks like it produces superb images!

You lot can but mock, the image quality is superb :D

I know i can't talk, having an RB67 and all that :D Seriously though Ed, where do the bullets go?

Are you waiting for the harness to mount it to your shoulder Ed? Looks like its going to have a fair bit of recoil :D :nuts:

Are you waiting for the harness to mount it to your shoulder Ed? Looks like its going to have a fair bit of recoil :D :nuts:

True enough, you pretty much have to use mirror lock up for anything below 1/60th sec. The mirror is huge.

True enough, you pretty much have to use mirror lock up for anything below 1/60th sec. The mirror is huge.

Good job it's big Eddie if Nick see the bill you will be living in it:LOL:

I've just received this Kiron 70-150mm f/4 lens, shown mounted on my FM.

Nikon FM with Kiron 70-150mm f/4 by Strappster, on Flickr

It was on ebay as a buy-it-now with a poor description so I snapped it up. There's a small piece of fluff on the rear element which could be fungus so I'll use the lens and see if it has any effect on the images or if the fluff grows before deciding what to do about it. I can't see anything after trying the lens on my D70 so I'm thinking positive :)

You jammy, jammy bugger. Pics please.

Andy

Back