OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

DANG
Now im drooling

You need to maintain a sense of proportion...... :)

family.jpg

Ignore, I replied to a post (already answered) but I'd jumped to the page before last and I wasn't paying attention :)

Last edited:
@EdBray Thats a gorgeous camera. Once everythings up & running I'd love to see the kind of photographs it can take. Amazing.

@EdBray Thats a gorgeous camera. Once everythings up & running I'd love to see the kind of photographs it can take. Amazing.

I have to say, I am really excited about using this camera, apart from a small play with one at art college 30+ years ago I have never used one of my own.

Just got out some of my books Ansel Adams's 'The Camera', 'Using the View Camera' and 'View Camera Technique' fortunately I buy lots of books about photography and photographic technique (as you know ;) ).

Just got to wait until Tuesday before my 5x4 film will arrive.

EdBray said:
I have to say, I am really excited about using this camera, apart from a small play with one at art college 30+ years ago I have never used one of my own.

Just got out some of my books Ansel Adams's 'The Camera', 'Using the View Camera' and 'View Camera Technique' fortunately I buy lots of books about photography and photographic technique (as you know ;) ).

Just got to wait until Tuesday before my 5x4 film will arrive.

Yeah it looks amazing. I can imagine you'll have a lot of fun experimenting with that. I had an introductory workshop on one in college & I was real interested in how it performs but we didn't cover it in depth unfortunately. I'm trying to broaden my current photographic book collection myself :} {as you know!}. You'll have to post a thread with your findings & whatnot!

Ooohhh a lovely 820. I have a 16-20 and a 12-20 and love them both. Great cameras and great lenses. (y)

Andy

WoOt. Just won two auctions on a well known site for Yashica Mat.
Expect to see one appear in the classifieds in a couple of weeks.
Didn't really expect to get either....didn't bid very high...now to order some film....what do we think to velvia or provia ?

WoOt. Just won two auctions on a well known site for Yashica Mat.
Expect to see one appear in the classifieds in a couple of weeks.
Didn't really expect to get either....didn't bid very high...now to order some film....what do we think to velvia or provia ?

The pedigree of the more expensive one is quite attractive - IMO, that one was well within range of what you'd expect to pay for one, especially on a Sunday evening. The cheaper one was a good buy though. I'm a fan of the original Mat's, the same Yashinon as the more expensive LM, EM, 124 and 124G but without the price tag.

@EdBray - that is a lovely camera. I have 2 large format ones (an MPP and a Sinar though I prefer the monorail) as well as much the same lens set up as you. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Some great cameras in this thread!

@EdBray - that is a lovely camera. I have 2 large format ones (an MPP and a Sinar though I prefer the monorail) as well as much the same lens set up as you. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Some great cameras in this thread!

Thanks and welcome to the forum, although I am quite overawed by it at the moment.

I may try and take a few images tomorrow using the 6x9cm back as I will not have any 4x5 film or film holders until later in the week as I was originally not going to bother with 4x5 just stick to 6x9.

Thanks for the welcome. Nothing wrong with 6x9 at all, I have a Mamiya 67 and really liked that until I got the larger negative and now am considering 8x10. I picked up a lot of 4x5 film that was close to expiry and now have a freezer drawer full of odds and ends of different types of 4x5 film.

4x5 is a bit intimidating at first as the film is expensive, but there is nothing quite like it once you get your first half decent image. If you don't have one you might also want a dark cloth for focussing (I use 2 black T Shirts inside each other) and a changing bag to load the film too.

If one were to wish to do so, is it possible to put paper in the film holder of these large format cameras and expose directly onto that?

Thanks for the heads up, I have a fair bit of film stuff so not too much of an issue, just that the camera is such a change from my Hasselblad and Fuji GX680 systems.

Very nice Jonathon :clap:

Here is my new toy. I don't know how to use it, I have no film for it, I have no film holders for it and my digital back doesn't fit on it (yet ;) )

It is a Toyo C 5"x4" Monorail and I was the only bidder so got it with a 150mm Lens for £256 and as it was in Camborne I popped down this morning to collect it.

Just waiting for the rest of my bits to arrive tomorrow now (90mm f8 Super Angulon, 210mm f5.6 Symmar, a couple of lens boards for the lenses and a 6x9 roll film back). All I have from my current kit that I can use is my Schneider 8x Lupe, a cable release and my Manfrotto 058 with geared head.

So, here she is, isn't she lovely?

ToyoCMonorail.jpg

I missed this. You won't be happy till you have a full on mobile camera-obscura will you? :p

Can jus tsee it now, Inside of a transit van all blacked out and one side coated with sensitive paper, the other side with a lens stuck in it....

I missed this. You won't be happy till you have a full on mobile camera-obscura will you? :p

Can jus tsee it now, Inside of a transit van all blacked out and one side coated with sensitive paper, the other side with a lens stuck in it....

:clap: Now there's a thought. :LOL:

I am really enjoying the film experience, I can't wait to start shooting 4x5 and processing the films in Caffenol CL. I can't thank you enough for pointing me in the direction of Caffenol, it has been a revelation to me and the negatives I have produced using both the Caffenol CL and the semi stand technique.

Ever since I became involved in using Digital I have never really felt the love, I have had some brilliant cameras and fantastic lenses and currently have an amazing Digital Back which for still lifes (product shots etc) can only be currently surpassed by a £28,000 Digital Back and with all that equipment have even produced some very nice images, but I have always been searching for that something that was missing both aesthetically and emotionally and film gives me that feeling of actually creating something tangible.

Nice, did you sell all your pentax bits? if you still have a 50 and 135mm takumar lenses fancy swapping them for a couple of filmholders (fidelity elite, new in box)?

Nice, did you sell all your pentax bits? if you still have a 50 and 135mm takumar lenses fancy swapping them for a couple of filmholders (fidelity elite, new in box)?

Done! Or will be if you can make your offer in my For Sale thread I will ask the mods to unarchive it.

Last edited:
Got my £5 Nikon EM delivered today. Looks in fine fettle other than missing a battery cover.

62497c188df411e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

Anyone know if this camera will work out the exposure purely from the light hitting the meter or does the little lever at the lens mount tell the camera what aperture is set? IE can I get away with using any old lens on an adapter?

It's aperture priority via the AI lug, the thing which is 1 o'clock on the lens mount on that picture. If the adapter doesn't "interact" with that lug, I'm not sure you'll get any metering - most bodies use some form of stop down metering in lenses which don't talk to the body, but the EM doesn't support that.

Yes, that should work fine. That, mounted on the EM, will make a nice compact wide-angle SLR.

Here are my latest additions to the FD clan; a T90, 300TL Speedlite and FDn 50mm f/1.4

Canon T90 by Pam & Ben, on Flickr

All in very tidy condition, loaded up with Portra 400 and looking for a break in the rain...

New toy today was an AP compact dev tank, I've had just about enough of my Paterson Model II!

Also in the box some Adox CMS20 and finally some glassine negative sheets, so I can finally sort out my growing pile!

Oooh a growing pile...sounds painful.

New toy today was an AP compact dev tank, I've had just about enough of my Paterson Model II!

Also in the box some Adox CMS20 and finally some glassine negative sheets, so I can finally sort out my growing pile!

What was the issue with your Paterson?

What was the issue with your Paterson?

It may be quicker to answer what was right about it! :LOL:

Reels refused to load 99% of the time (I have only once managed to get a full 36exp film on there with no jam!), it leaked, the spiral was free to move and caused undeven development bands. I cured the latter with some big washers but that made it leak 10x worse to the point that inversion was basically pouring out developer!

To be fair it was very old, I suspect the spiral has been scrubbed that many times it's no longer a smooth surface, time for a well earned retirement I think.

The AP tank is lovely, I'd throughly reccomend it. So leak free I may no longer have to do my development over the kitchen sink! :LOL:

I had an F90, damn good camera and £18 is a good price.

Andy

Back