OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Cheers guys.

They are originally non-AI.............AI factory converted!

It was a set complete with hoods, rear caps and one front cap on the 200mm ( won't take much to find some front caps for the other 3).....all the optics are immaculate, cosmetically they are in very good condition, mechanically all feels good....you know what i'll be doing this weekend don't you?!! :D

Hammering nails with them? :p

Very nice lens collection, Asha, and David, I'm rather jealous of your 'blad find, nicely done (y)

I've had a bit of a splurge recently, replaced my RZ67 Pro with its successor, an RZ67 Pro II - half-stop shutter speeds and fine focus adjustment were the reasons but it's also in much better condition than my old RZ. Pictured with the 140mm ML-A macro lens I bought at the same time, trading in a couple of the older lenses I wasn't going to use again.

RZ67ProII-140mm by Strappster, on Flickr

And a Nikon FG with the 50mm Series E lens that I bought from Mr. Bump through the classifieds (who still hasn't left any feedback :nuts:). I almost bought one of these through the forum a little while ago but pulled out when I thought about how many cameras I have already.

Then a couple of weeks ago t'missus says that while she enjoys using the Minolta Hi-matic I gave her, she fancies "playing with apertures and stuff". One quick trip to ebay and a perusal of the forum later and viola. :D

NikonFG-50mmSE by Strappster, on Flickr

My first SLR was an FG so I thought it'd be a great place for her to start, plus she can use the lenses I have for my FE2 (except the 50mm f/1.4, she's no chance of getting hold of that ;)).

I've also finally gotten around to buying some wireless flash triggers, a couple of Yongnuo flashes, a 5-in-1 reflector (which is much bigger packed than I thought it'd be so I might have to get another one carry in my bag) and a 2-stop ND filter to complete my set of 1-2-3. Busy month, just need to get out and use them now :D

Last edited:
Mmm I think that Mr Bump ( Paul) has some responsibility to take for being us being drawn into acquiring more Nikon kit Dean.......after all it was down to his excitement and joy of possessing an FG and 28mm lens that pushed me over the edge to buy another 4 lenses:D

He was warned payback time was due....I don't think he's seen my self indulgance yet...can't wait for his reaction when he does...Paul, you there matey??!! :D :D :D

Nice exchange of the RZ67.

Are the lenses and film backs compatible between the Pro II and the older version?

I'm here.

keeeeeeeeeeeeeep talking :LOL:

Well hello "Mr Bump"......Shame i can't change my pseudo to "Mr (very) Happy" :D

I thought I knew what love was when I met my Mrs.....that was until these lenses arrived :D :D

Ok so perhaps it's sad, but to me they're just gorgeous!

Mmm I think that Mr Bump ( Paul) has some responsibility to take for being us being drawn into acquiring more Nikon kit Dean.......

I can't hold Paul responsible for that, I've been a Nikon fan-boy since that first FG ... which I've just realised was over 20 years ago now :tumbleweed:

Are the lenses and film backs compatible between the Pro II and the older version?

Yep, there's little difference in the accessories* so I only traded the old body and a couple of lenses that came with it: the 90mm lens which I replaced with a 110mm some time ago and the 150mm soft-focus portrait lens because while I remember the 1980s, I've no desire to reproduce the images. ;)

He was warned payback time was due....
keeeeeeeeeeeeeep talking :LOL:

We've got him on the 35mm, is it too soon to introduce medium format? Did you know that you can get a good MF folder for just £20 or so, Paul? ;)

* For example, the later 120 backs have film counters on two sides so that one's on top whichever way the back's rotated but for all practical purposes, they're the same.

We've got him on the 35mm, is it too soon to introduce medium format?

We need to get him on a meet or for me to bump (sorry for the punn :D) into him in Oct.....I was gunna travel light but will carry a selection of MF and LF gear for him to play with ..... if it means it gets him hooked :D :D

Well I am planning on sticking with 35mm at the moment and keeping one of the FG bodies I have and selling one, on the back of that I will treat myself to maybe the F3 and as for lens's the 28mm, 35mm, 50mm should do me. I did buy a really funky 36-72mm Series E zoom with Hood mint in box but I am not convinced I will use that so I might let it go.

Also as for MF I have the Zeiss Ikonta Folder which is sweet and produces amazing results but I may have to let that go as well to fund the F3.

I think I will just run with 35mm and have some fun for a while also it keeps my processing simple sending it all to Peak :LOL:

Meet up in Oct.....Superb !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Last weekend I spent some time fashioning some old 120 spools to hold the ends of a 35mm film canister, so that I could shoot some 135 film in my Bronica SQ-A.

Although my new 'toy' is nowhere near as cool as a Hasselblad 500C/M, non-AI Nikon lenses, or a Mamiya RZ67, it's provided a bit of amusement nonetheless.

DSC_1001.JPG

DSC_09981.JPG

DSC_1006.JPG

Roll_92_5_of_12_.jpg

Roll_92_7_of_12_.jpg

Roll_92_11_of_12_.jpg

That's pretty neat skysh4rk. How did you get the exposed film back in the canister, or did you load it on to a spiral straight from the camera back?

RJ.....as someone who is forever manipulating film to fit into all sorts of old cameras in order to keep them alive, I find your adaptation absolutely brilliant.....The results say it all.
Very well done!

That's pretty neat skysh4rk. How did you get the exposed film back in the canister, or did you load it on to a spiral straight from the camera back?

In this case I loaded straight onto a spiral from the back, but I could have simply rewound the film back into the canister if I'd needed to do so.

Either way, it definitely has to be done in a changing bag or a dark room.

RJ.....as someone who is forever manipulating film to fit into all sorts of old cameras in order to keep them alive, I find your adaptation absolutely brilliant.....The results say it all.
Very well done!

Cheers, Asha.

I'm not sure I can take full credit though, as there are others on the interwebs who have done similar things with medium format backs. I just took the best bits from a few sources and adapted them to suit my needs. :)

There's a similar adaptation for the Hasselblad A12/A24 back that I've wanted to try - how did you do the masking for 35mm in the WLF?

There's a similar adaptation for the Hasselblad A12/A24 back that I've wanted to try - how did you do the masking for 35mm in the WLF?

For the mask, I basically followed what this guy on flickr suggested (pics below), although I just cut out a 55mm x 55mm square from card stock and didn't bother tracing the exact shape of the focusing screen as shown here.

If you follow this, your mask will show you the area between the sprocket holes. It did seem to do the trick, as I didn't have any framing problems.

14 - Drawing 35mm Focusing Screen Mask by sk8nsax, on Flickr

15 - Finished 35mm Mask Installed by sk8nsax, on Flickr

Thats a better solution than I came up with putting 35mm through the RB67.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=476253

Yeah, I'd remembered seeing your post awhile back, so I'd been thinking of trying it.

This method works pretty well, although it would work better with a 220 back on my Bronica, rather than a 120, as the 220 back matches both the length and thickness of 135 better.

Yeah I'd half like a 220 back but their too expensive for a dead format or playing with 35mm. I think I'll steal the mask idea for next time though.

Well seeing as I started this thread 150 pages ago, I think it is only right that I post something new in it lol :)

My latest toy is a EOS600 I believe :)

Have to say its "I Believe" as I haven't actually received it yet, just a gift to me from the boss today, got to find out Monday :)

Yashica Mat 124G. The only TLRs I've used are Rolleiflex Old Standard, Lubitel 2 and a Kino 44. All give good results but I was wanting something more modern with a brighter focusing screen.
So I got this from the auction site for 40 quid and the first roll of film is drying now.

Yashica Mat 124G (Japan 1970-1986) by spartacus mills, on Flickr

This Ricoh was a free gift from a Facebook friend. The aperture ring is frozen but I've got Pentax lenses that will fit. Would like to see what a Rikenon could do though.

Ricoh KR-10 Super (Japan 1982) by spartacus mills, on Flickr

Chinon CM-4S
From another Facebook friend though I had to pay for this one. Came with filters, case, flash and a decent bag.

Chinon CM-4S (Japan 1980) by spartacus mills, on Flickr

A nice clutch of cameras, some strange new leather though covering the name plate on the 124G:shrug:

A nice clutch of cameras, some strange new leather though covering the name plate on the 124G:shrug:

That's why the seller didn't know what model it was and just listed it as a plain old 'Yashica'! :D

maybe its been re-covered, and cutting the leather around the letters was a step too far for the fixer.
might not be too bad underneath, in fact...isn't it just painted.:shrug:

For the mask, I basically followed what this guy on flickr suggested (pics below), although I just cut out a 55mm x 55mm square from card stock and didn't bother tracing the exact shape of the focusing screen as shown here.

Neat - shame it's portrait by default though! Might experiment sometime.

maybe its been re-covered, and cutting the leather around the letters was a step too far for the fixer.
might not be too bad underneath, in fact...isn't it just painted.:shrug:

I've removed the surplus leather. Now doesn't this look better? :)
Now to replace the light seals...

9602307954_941ed89704.jpg
[/url] Yashicamat 124G by spartacus mills, on Flickr[/IMG]

WHS

that's got to be the daftest application of a piece of leatherette I've ever seen this side of an Ambermille recover..

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

that's got to be the daftest application of a piece of leatherette I've ever seen this side of an Ambermille recover..

:LOL:

I've seen people stick black tape over the 'Nikon' or 'Canon' etc on their slrs to make them less conspicuous but it's the first time I've seen someone leather a TLR nameplate!

Following up from my previous post the camera in question is:

Canon EOS650
100-200mm Canon EF 1: 4.5A
35-105mm Canon EF 1: 3.5-4.5
Vivitar 636AF TTL Flashgun

Nice little present to come to work for :)

Bry

A birthday present from my wife :)
Lomography camera Kit. "Konstruktor"

Lomography diy camera by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Only after giving to me did she remember I had said I was never any good at airfix models :sigh:

Considering a thread of the build when I find "5 mins" to sit down and look at it....

Last edited:
the next step of my leica pimping. A light meter for my M3. Bit annoyed as the ebayer advertsied it as working but it turned up without a battery so im assuming the worst.

This Ricoh was a free gift from a Facebook friend. The aperture ring is frozen but I've got Pentax lenses that will fit. Would like to see what a Rikenon could do though.

I've just got one and it's a competent camera with a useful set of shutter speeds for low light, although my one is not up to Nikon mechanical standards as if I let the rewind lever spring back very quickly it sometimes jams..... :shrug: h'mm and it's as new condition.

Nice additions there Cezar.....I like the OM winder for the comfort of carrying the OM-10 in hand although it does add a fair bit of weight even without batteries installed.

This week, I am mostly playing with.. Contax 137 MA - I bought this for the lens and didn't even clock the camera it was on. Couldn't believe it when it arrived on me doorstep - I had one of these as my main camera for years, pushing hundreds of perfectly exposed rolls of Kodachrome through it. But mine, just like most others, lost all the leatherette. And got a few dents. This baby has just a small amount of surface peeling, the seals are like new, and it runs lovely, I haven't seen one in this condition since the 80's. And yes, some of that is due to a percentage of them being unreliable too. The ergonomics of this camera are great, which is probably why it looks kinda funny. Mmmmm...gorgeous. Also, Canon F1 - always wanted to try one, and got it with a nice 1.4 lens. However, I am not enamoured with it, the focussing aids don't and it is umm.. clumpy to use. The on/off is in a stupid place (a peculiar obsession with Canon ever since..) and the shutter speed is awkward to change with your eye to the lens. Also, Nikon FG! With a motor! And a skinny lens! Well, it's nice enough and ten years ago I used one regularly. Nice and light, sharp pics, but a little squinty viewfinder and it's kinda surplus to requirements now. Also, Leica R5 with a very tasty 35mm Elmarit - Actually I really like this. I am slightly mystified as to why people knock the Leica R series. It cameras in a very camera - like way. Feels smoooth, very slick, very well made, most of them are in much better nick than their Minolta brethren, (mine is like new and it wasn't expensive) and, well, I am selling it, but only because I have piles of Nikon and Contax gear already and can't honestly say it will get much use. But I have really enjoyed playing with this lot over the last week. Just have to finish devving the huge pile of film now..

Back