OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

All nice fresh stock and no delivery charges; who's a lucky boy then! How bad was the argument about freezer space? :p:D

^Some portra of any speed would be nice as I'm still yet to even try it.

I've always been lucky as we have had a drawer in our fridge dedicated to film for over 30 years. This is my full stock of 120 film with some new rollei to test and lots of panF added two weeks ago. Also got more of the agfa optima and a mountain of 35mm films in the freezer. (as we are lucky enough to have a second one in our dark room.)

well its a tough call as to which wins the awesome points, the film or............the drawer.......in a fridge

I'm awarding all the awesome points to......the drawer....in a fridge, cos there's no 100f

:D

New member here. I used to shoot film many years ago with a Nikon N80 that I still have though have not used for years. Wanting to shoot some film photos again I have just acquired a Nikon 50/1.8 and am awaiting a Nikon FE to go with it. Here is a picture of the lens mounted on a GX7 digital camera.
DSCF6242 - 2016-02-06 at 02-54-50 by alan bryson, on Flickr

Hi @abryx and welcome, you've come straight to the best bit of TP. There's some useful resources in the sticky at the top of the page, including a thread on "first film camera ever or for many years", which probably also contains a link to the "Film processing in the UK" thread... there are more as well, but a lot of these threads are long and complicated, so if you need any help, please ask! All we ask in return is for some of your pics to get uploaded here... :)

Hey all, I just purchased my first TLR, I'm so excited. I really only bought it because I want a display of vintage cameras but I'm definitely looking forward to running at least one roll of film through this.

I've also bought an old Yashica, Kodak retinette and an Agfa for the collection so far.

Any advise on where best to buy and develop film is greatly appreciated.

Mark.

See the links in the previous post, @Mark G , for the thread on processing films. For 35mm, best bet is to check your local Poundlands, some will have fresh Agfa Vista 200 at... guess the price. Boots also have a permanent buy on get one half price deal on film, mostly 35mm film, but in a larger Boots recently I saw some rolls of HP5+ in 120 roll film for the TLR. Good luck, and do share the results! :)

Hi @abryx and welcome, you've come straight to the best bit of TP. There's some useful resources in the sticky at the top of the page, including a thread on "first film camera ever or for many years", which probably also contains a link to the "Film processing in the UK" thread... there are more as well, but a lot of these threads are long and complicated, so if you need any help, please ask! All we ask in return is for some of your pics to get uploaded here... :)

Thanks ChrisR for the helpful info. First film camera for many years is right, though I've also pulled out my old F80 (not N80, as I said before). The FE has now arrived as you will see below. It all seems to be working fine, though I have not put any film in it yet. I wil post some photos in due course when there is something worth looking at.
P1130445 - 2016-02-11 at 09-08-47 by alan bryson, on Flickr

Well I really like my FE but you might find the camera back seals need replacing (as mine did) so check out with some cheap film and use Asda dev and scan only for £3.

Not a particular bargain , but ive wanted a mamiya 6 for a while and had some redundancy money left over so thought i would splurge out on one now ive got a new job :) the 150 lens is on its way to complete the set. 50 and 75 shown here. Hopefully i'll start taking some photos again!

Last edited:
That's nice, I've always fancied either a 6 or a 7, lovely cameras and stunning lenses. Maybe one day.

Ooh, lovely. A 6 or 7 is all I'd need to complete my mamiya set.

We've seen some stunning shots on here from a 6, one has been on my want list for ages, but they are very expensive, and I had some concerns about using filters with them, given the rangefinder design. Very envious, though! About the most portable full manual exchangeable lens MF solution...

they're definitely not cheap! i waited a few weeks in the hope of seeing a well priced one on the bay but the price seems pretty consistent across the board. Filters are a bit of an issue but so long as i work out the exposure adjustments needed beforehand and write them on the case or something then all should be well. I was hoping to go into Chinatown tomorrow for the festivities and get some use out of it, but the weather looks distinctly cold wet and miserable at the moment.

I think my next purchase will have to be some bags as im running out of space on my desk now

Last edited:
Always fancied a 6 as well, that looks like a good one. Which dealer did you source it from then?

I got a feeling the body and a couple of lenses were from individuals, one of the lenses was from a store though. I dont really pay too much attention to who has it, just so long as the description and photos look fine.

I use the 50 and 75 all the time but the 150 hardly ever, it was novel at first but, maybe its the small framing in the viewfinder, maybe it just doesn't suit the rubbish I shoot or it ain't the way I see things, I dunno.
Its nice to have the set though :)

In the past couple of weeks I have bought a Rollei 35 LED for £9.99, a Canon 1000F body for £1.99, a faulty ME Super for £1.99 and a Praktica Nova B & Meyer Optik Görlitz Domiplan 50/2 with a stuck shutter for £5. The Praktica wasn't difficult to fix and seems to be fine now. Yesterday I got a Rollei 35B lot of the camera along with two boxed Flashguns for £20, the E15B and 128BC.

Sorry it's the Domiplan 50/2.8 and I forgot to mention a Pentax Auto 110 which won't wind on or release and seems to be stuck at it's smallest aperture. That was £7.50 complete with 24mm lens. It's not a complete waste of money as I have two m4/3 cameras I can adapt the lens to.

Sorry it's the Domiplan 50/2.8 and I forgot to mention a Pentax Auto 110 which won't wind on or release and seems to be stuck at it's smallest aperture. That was £7.50 complete with 24mm lens. It's not a complete waste of money as I have two m4/3 cameras I can adapt the lens to.

Don't worry it's not a fault, the Auto 110 is almost unique in that the lenses have no iris and the internal shutter dictates both the aperture and partly the shutter speed (hence why all the Auto 110 lenses are F2.8) at the moment of taking the picture when the mirror raises (basically it adjusts the aperture based on how fast the two L shaped blades behind the mount move and the mirror physically blocks out the light, there is a good web article explaining it somewhere which I'll dig out). As for the wind on issue, is the button moving loosely or is it under tension? If it's tensioned then the shutter is cocked (you need to wind it twice as it's a two stroke shutter); also does the winder move more than 90 degrees and is it under tension?. I can't remember with my one exactly as it has a film in it at the moment, but I think the shutter release/wind on may not work properly if there is no film in the camera as I can remember my wind on lever one being decidedly loose without the film being in the camera.

They are a great little camera BTW, literally a tiny SLR system with lenses, auto winders, flashes, filters etc. I've got the common 18, 24 and 50mm lenses (with original hoods for the 18 and 50mm) that I brought with the camera, and hopefully one day will pick up the 70mm and 20-40mm zoom lenses (although they're much rarer and usually sell for more as so). I'm not too bothered about the 18mm pan focus (it's just a fixed focus version of the 18mm for easy snapshots) though.

Don't worry it's not a fault, the Auto 110 is almost unique in that the lenses have no iris and the internal shutter dictates both the aperture and partly the shutter speed (hence why all the Auto 110 lenses are F2.8) at the moment of taking the picture when the mirror raises (basically it adjusts the aperture based on how fast the two L shaped blades behind the mount move and the mirror physically blocks out the light, there is a good web article explaining it somewhere which I'll dig out). As for the wind on issue, is the button moving loosely or is it under tension? If it's tensioned then the shutter is cocked (you need to wind it twice as it's a two stroke shutter); also does the winder move more than 90 degrees and is it under tension?. I can't remember with my one exactly as it has a film in it at the moment, but I think the shutter release/wind on may not work properly if there is no film in the camera as I can remember my wind on lever one being decidedly loose without the film being in the camera.

From what I remember, the wind-on lever does feel much looser, and it's definitely a two-stroke to advance, but I think the shutter does still dry fire in that scenario (my 110 also has film in at the moment, unfortunately). Have you installed the SR/LR44 batteries the right way round, and is the battery slot area clean of corrosion?

It's an awesome camera, those Pentax engineers really knew what they were doing. The viewfinder is embarrassingly clear and bright (it would put many modern DSLRs to shame), and the camera and especially lenses handle far better than they have any right to.

It's an awesome camera, those Pentax engineers really knew what they were doing. The viewfinder is embarrassingly clear and bright (it would put many modern DSLRs to shame), and the camera and especially lenses handle far better than they have any right to.

It's just a pity it never really sold that well as 110 film had a reputation of being poor quality (which TBH was mostly down to the poor lenses on the snapshot cameras that nearly exclusively used it, not to mention that most labs didn't bother buying the printing lenses that Kodak specified were to be used with it) and it was quite an expensive camera for the time. I love the story I read once of how one freelance press photographer used to hide one in his shoe to smuggle it past security to take pictures of stand up comedy (I think it was) and beat the official invited press photographers by getting the film into a 1hr lab immediately after and then selling the pictures to news editors for the next morning edition (the story went something like that).

The viewfinder is great like you say, and the split screen makes all the difference. If anything I think Pentax were thinking ahead of their time, and if it had sold more successfully then I could have easily seen them releasing an improved version with adjustable aperture etc. The digital Q series they do today are very similar to the Auto 110, although mirrorless so I guess the idea of the Auto 110 must have lived on in some form.

Lovely camera - the RZ67 with 110mm and WLF is my favourite roll film camera.

Agree with the above, though I don't have the 110, preferring the wider 65.

Just had a bit of eBay excitement and won an RZ67 with 110mm lens, WLF and AE prism for what I think was a pretty reasonable price looking at past sales :) cannot wait to get it!

Very reasonable price indeed, and looks to be in good condition. SLR on steroids with that AE prism!

, but I think the shutter does still dry fire in that scenario (my 110 also has film in at the moment, unfortunately).

I can confirm that YES, providing batteries are installed, the shutter will fire without film installed,.

Film door open or closed, the shutter speed and aperture function as if film was installed,

Pressie to myself following some kind person who put a link up in the bargains thread a little while ago......darned if i can remember who or exactly when, not that it really matters, but a thank you for the heads up (y)

Pressie to myself.jpg

Tout le plaisir était pour moi :) (I think it was me but I'm not 100% sure)

Tout le plaisir était pour moi :) (I think it was me but I'm not 100% sure)

It was an ebay link ...yes I think it was you Andy, Cheers Matey ....I recall you mentioning that several boxes looked to be available.

Looks like the tomatoes and cucumber have gotta go ......

To make fridge space! :D

they're definitely not cheap! i waited a few weeks in the hope of seeing a well priced one on the bay but the price seems pretty consistent across the board. Filters are a bit of an issue but so long as i work out the exposure adjustments needed beforehand and write them on the case or something then all should be well. I was hoping to go into Chinatown tomorrow for the festivities and get some use out of it, but the weather looks distinctly cold wet and miserable at the moment.

I think my next purchase will have to be some bags as im running out of space on my desk now

I just tidied a bunch on lenses into my filing cabinet yesterday as I was suffering the same
Fold that SAK up though especially as your glasses are on it.

I always love getting stuff through the post. Metz hammerhead flash to go with my land camera. Now I just need some batteries.

Attachments

• 1455900554139.jpg
    1455900554139.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 1455900588731.jpg
    1455900588731.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 30
Back