OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Here are my two new lenses to cover 10x8 - although I don't actually have a 10x8 camera, as that's a minor detail.

300mm Symmar (convertible to 500mm) and Sironar-N 360mm f/6.8.

I've included a roll of PanF although it isn't new to give a sense of scale.

Edit to add: and that's a pint mug of tea in the background.

View attachment 105875

Here are my two new lenses to cover 10x8 - although I don't actually have a 10x8 camera, as that's a minor detail.

View attachment 105875

Hubba....mega..

The slightly amusing thing is that some years ago we were in ffords in Beauly looking at 300mm lenses; and one of the ones that they had was a 300mm Symmar. Not bought as it was so big and heavy; I came away with an Apo Ronar which is probably the smallest lens I have (and that includes 35mm!). A different choice, and I would have been set up for larger things. The larger of these two must be getting on to the size and weight of the RZ67 75mm shift lens...

View attachment 105875

I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by the fact that you bought lenses for a camera you don't have or by the pint of tea! :D

If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess. I've got another pint of tea occupying the same spot on the desk now. As I can manage to drink it, I also obviously don't have a drinking problem.

I got the lenses now more in anticipation; or at least I started looking at this time because I'd seen how many UK backers the Intrepid 10x8 had. From that, I suspected that there could be a run on lenses for 10x8, and it would be wise to start looking. I actually only intended getting one (a 300mm); but on speaking to the dealers I was told about the 360mm which seemed like a "good thing". I don't use much in the way of wide angle lenses on 5x4, so I'm reasoning that the same will apply with 10x8. These two give me 300/360/500mm which seems reasonable coverage.

Quite. Black and white sheets come out at about twice the price of a single Kodachrome exposure in the 1960s (allowing for inflation). Does that help with a sense of perspective?

Or, if you just fancy trying something different and have some spare cash. It isn't always about improving or getting better shots Brian, sometimes its just fun to spend money on something you fancy. :D

Yep that pretty much nails it for me! :D

Since the Cornwall meet I've had a hankering for a Polaroid SX-70 and a Voigtlander Bessa of some type. Unfortunately I don't really have the spare time to use them much at the moment so my head is telling me to wait!

Just ordered a Instax Mini 8 from amazon for £40 odd delivered for prime day just in time for the holidays. Need to buy more film for it...

Stretching it a bit but I've just won John Blakemore's black and white photography workshop on eBay for about £67 all in. Not bad considering what the last however many have sold for. And it helps the British heart foundation!

Stretching it a bit but I've just won John Blakemore's black and white photography workshop on eBay for about £67 all in. Not bad considering what the last however many have sold for. And it helps the British heart foundation!

h'mm at the price it's fetching I'll have to look out for it at the bootie ;)

Just ordered a Instax Mini 8 from amazon for £40 odd delivered for prime day just in time for the holidays. Need to buy more film for it...

Arrived today, got to love Prime. What I didn't realise is that while it was an open box return and listed as camera and 10 shots, the sub description said missing memory card (i didn't notice that till this morning) so its come with out a film pack guess they qualify that as a memory card. Got 20 shots to use for my holiday. Not sure whether to keep it and just keep feeding it film, keep it and punt it on ebay once I'm done (I'll break even), keep it use the 20 and return it (amazon have accepted the return). There seems to be no way of speaking to someone at amazon.

Edit: finally found a way of getting a call back. They're going to refund me some cash and I've noticed the film pack is available for same day delivery so all is well.

Last edited:
Finally visited my sister again last week and she had a couple of my father's cameras for me. They have been hanging around in her farm outbuildings for a decade or so, and are externally in rather bad nick. I was expecting that one would be the 6*9 folder that took the DufayColor transparencies I shared last year (and thousands more pre-war black and white negatives as well), and indeed one of them was a Zeiss Ikon folder. It was in pretty bad nick externally and at first I couldn't get it to open, so I had a look at the other. This was a Dacora Digna in an Ilford case...

View attachment 106090

Incredibly basic 6*6 120 camera with a collapsible lens. Shutter speeds B or I (for Instant?), aperture f/7.7 or f/11... the lens wobbles slightly when extended. Apparently Dacora made these for many other companies including Ilford. Something niggles at me to suggest that last year I thought some of the square transparencies might have been taken by a Dacora, that otherwise I'd never heard of, so it's a surprise to find it so basic. I'm guessing it's a "first camera"? Anyway, not one to push the boat out for.

After a bit of further investigation on the Zeiss Ikon...

I got the Zeiss CLA'd by Mike Whitehead, and it works ok, though I don't much enjoy the experience. Today I got the Dacora down to take some photos of it, prior to giving it away or selling it. My father and I share the same first initial and surname, so when I saw C.R... scratched on the back and the same written on the inside of the case, I was sure it was just my father being careful. But then I looked at the Zeiss, which was definitely his, and there is no name on either the case or the body. I had been wondering why after a 6*9 Zeiss and then a 6*6 Zeiss (I'm guessing the first one broke as we can't find it), he should have bought the crappy Dacora. But it's finally dawned on me... this might have been my first camera! EDIT: It's much more likely that I would have marked the camera and case with my name, than that he would have done so. /EDIT I went on a couple of sailing adventure holidays on the Norfolk Broads as a lad, and I vaguely remember some soft focus, badly framed square photos from that (none have survived). So maybe this camera was given to me to take on those holidays?

So, what d'ya think, does this change things? Should I stick a roll of Tri-X through and pay for developing, just for nostalgia's sake? Or say, yes but, no but, what were they thinking, get rid of it before it costs you any more money?

Last edited:
So, what d'ya think, does this change things? Should I stick a roll of Tri-X through and pay for developing, just for nostalgia's sake? Or say, yes but, no but, what were they thinking, get rid of it before it costs you any more money?

If you're looking for a group hard nosed individuals to tell you stuff nostalgia and keep you money in your pockect, I suspect you're in the wrong place...

Stick a roll through it, what harm can it do?

Last edited:
Triple post!

Still not sure...

OK, this Dacora Digna is apparently one of the most basic models; some had quite nice lenses, but this has a basic lens, f/11 and f/7.7, 80mm. The "I" shutter speed is said to be about 1/50 seconds.

So Sunny 16 says subject in sun with Tri-X should be 1/400 at f/16, or 1/800 at f/11. So 1/50 at f/11 is 4 stops over-exposed. I guess I'd better find subjects in shade!

Still not sure...

OK, this Dacora Digna is apparently one of the most basic models; some had quite nice lenses, but this has a basic lens, f/11 and f/7.7, 80mm. The "I" shutter speed is said to be about 1/50 seconds.

So Sunny 16 says subject in sun with Tri-X should be 1/400 at f/16, or 1/800 at f/11. So 1/50 at f/11 is 4 stops over-exposed. I guess I'd better find subjects in shade!

No slower film? I'd be shocked if it was still anything like 1/50

Still not sure...

Well you could take a few shots and wind the roll back and put in another camera...assuming you do have another 120 camera.

Surely something of that age would be better with a roll of Pan F in it?

Well you could take a few shots and wind the roll back and put in another camera...assuming you do have another 120 camera.
How do you wind back 120 film?

No pics - and they might take a while! My fresh C220 has arrived along with a roll of film. Typically, I'm a bit busy this week but should be able to get out for a play soon.

In the post today...

Film Ferrania P30.jpg

No expiry date on the film which is confusing... but then, it was ALPHA I suppose. Now, what to shoot?

Having just finished a roll of FP4 on "detail shots", I might shoot a first roll on similar subjects, and send them both to Filmdev...

In the post today...

View attachment 106413

No expiry date on the film which is confusing... but then, it was ALPHA I suppose. Now, what to shoot?

Having just finished a roll of FP4 on "detail shots", I might shoot a first roll on similar subjects, and send them both to Filmdev...

Nice :) I'd be interested to hear what you think of it, and how the photos turn out. Have they finally got their coating machines up and running, or is this a rebadged film?

This is a new film made by them, based on the old Ferrania P30 formula tweaked for the modern age. Because it's only one layer, it was a good way for them to test out their processes (and also, no doubt, get some revenue) before the more complex process of coating the reversal film.

I bought this at the charity shop I volunteer at on Tuesday. A Yashica E, with working meter and shutter. It has a fixed 1/60s speed and the meter changes the aperture to suit when set on Auto.

It takes a "peanut" style flashbulb and needs a 15v battery. I have some of the flashbulbs, the same as the Kodak Brownie Starmite uses. 15v batteries are available on ebay but as the camera has a cold shoe and PC socket it'd be easier to use an external flash.

I've loaded it up with the other Agfapan APX400 I got when I got the Yashica 635. Incidentally this one was £30. Oh and from the serial it appears to have been made in July 63 and is the 1100th one that month as the serial is YE 3071100.
IMAG0261_1_1.jpgIMAG0259_1.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, should that Yashica turn out to be a door stop for any reason and you want to get rid of it, please let me know. Purely because I was also produced (although arguably not actually made!!!) in July '63.

I'm saying 63 but camerapedia says it was only made 64-66. I guess they probably started production 6 months before release as the first number denotes year, next two for month and the last four is the number made so far that month. The Yashica E on Camerapedia has a June 63 serial.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Yashica-E

Sorry I'm not selling but enjoy your birthday, or I hope you enjoyed it if it's passed.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

I should get them in the post on Monday but I've got a couple of new toys coming;

- Olympus OM40 which I don't really want so I'll probably be putting it in the freebies section here.

- Tamron 24mm 2.5 that comes with the OM40 which I do really want and I'll be using it on my new A7 (digital, shhh)

- I'm also currently in discussion about an Olympus 35/2.8 Shift lens which could be fun for architecture shooting. I'll know about that on Tuesday :0)

OMG ! Plaubel...my dream camera...
Abow us some shots from it.

I don't have very many shots to show from it yet. I have the ones below, but do keep in mind that they were shot in low light, at slow shutter speeds, and without tripods. Most were also shot with Cinestill 800T, which can suffer from some weird halo effects.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by the fact that you bought lenses for a camera you don't have or by the pint of tea! :D
You think a pint of tea's impressive?

15099552930_d775c52947_b.jpg

I don't have very many shots to show from it yet. I have the ones below, but do keep in mind that they were shot in low light, at slow shutter speeds, and without tripods. Most were also shot with Cinestill 800T, which can suffer from some weird halo effects.

Nice.

@skysh4rk RJ, these are stunners and the Cinestill idiosyncracies only add to the subject! that last one is pure Ridley Scott!

I bought myself a Pentax Z-70 with 35 to 80mm AF lens for £23.90 to go along with the Miranda MS-3 I already have, made sense sticking to the same lens format. Still didn't stop me buying a Cosina 75-300mm lens to go with for a tenner. So many bargains out there its hard not too :)

That then led me to buying a Pentax IST DL2 last week for £30 to help improve my shots without having to wait for developing. Camera bag a tad full now.

Back