OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I've just had a parcel from Mike Walker containing a couple of lens board adaptors: one to allow Linhof/Wista panels to be used on a Canham DLC camera, and one to allow Linhof/Wista boards to be used on a Sinar panel camera. The first will mean that I won't have to swap lens panels to go between the Canham and Walker cameras, and the latter will mean I can use my existing lenses on the Intrepid 10x8 (which Gemma has told me is ready for collection).

Addtionally in the parcel were a couple of 10x8 Fidelity film holders and a spare Sinar panel; I have a 10x8 lens not on a board, so I can now attend to that.

I week or so ago I bought from Clock Tower Cameras what I think that nice Mr Cameron would describe as the UKIP finder for a Canon F1. Canon call it the sports finder (I think). I t has a very large eyepiece that can be used at a distance from the eye, but crucially it swivels round so it either faces you normally as you use the camera at eye level, or can double as a waist level finder. The "swivel eyed" description inevitably made me think of Mr Cameron's description of those who took a different viewpoint to him.

19690-1519918194-457db4ef8528ee1da4dafdf5fee732d1.jpg

I'm picking up the rest tomorrow!

Probably not any more...

Although I have a box of the same in my darkroom. :D

Last edited:
Well it has landed,I would rate the camera as maybe 6.5 or 7 out of 10. All functions work and the meter is within 1/2 a stop of my Sekonic L-208 Twinmate.

So overall very happy and a great price too.:)

STU02482CS5

Well it has landed,I would rate the camera as maybe 6.5 or 7 out of 10. All functions work and the meter is within 1/2 a stop of my Sekonic L-208 Twinmate.

STU02482CS5
I'm still waiting for my F2a to be delivered. Royal Mail must really be struggling with the snow around here. I had confirmation of postage on Tuesday morning. I'm hoping it will arrive this afternoon as the suspense is killing me. Do you mind me asking what the damage was for your F2as?

^^^^^^^^^

I have already made a claim as my parcel was three days late and posted before the 1st when RM suspended the guaranteed next day.

Rather not say cost as the wife sometimes reads ;) , but, is was way below market prices.

I suppose I shouldn't comment about the way things look as I've just bought one of those little Canon 40mm pancake lenses. I was thinking of getting a 50mm 1.8 but I've found 50mm just a bit long as a 'general purpose' lens so though I'd try a 40mm instead; it might look a bit odd (like the camera isn't wearing a lens!) but apparently the image quality is very good and it makes a light set-up when fitted to the EOS 30. Should be a nice set-up for a bit of street photography. Dispatched on Thursday from MPB and delivered on Friday morning by DPD.

25720815167_260be0a8c9_c.jpg

Last edited:
So here's the basically complete 8x10 kit:
19696-1520084831-d22100ee0aeb326e8a9f7c8c2c5128e4.jpg

It's a Chamonix 8x10 camera, with a Nikkor 240/5.6, Schneider 360/6.8 and Nikkor 450/9, plus a couple of Toyo holders.

The tripod and lightmeter I already had for use with my 5x4, now I just need to sort out a bag big enough to carry this beast!

STU02482CS5

Can I be rude and ask how much you paid for it?

Of course you can "estimate value" if the domestic management happen to frequent these forums as well.........

I would like to add an F2 to my collection, but it would have to wait until the dust has settled on my latest acquisition

Just had a look through a July 1980 copy of Amateur Photographer magazine and the Nikon F2AS (body only) was being advertised new for £389.95, which was quite a lot of money in those days! Or you could have a new-fangled Nikon F3 body for £345. :)

I have no idea what that is! Looks like the sort of thing NOT to take through airports...

Pretty much the definitive home C-41/E-6 development equipment. It keeps an accurate temperature (although never the temperature on the dial!) and agitates the developing film - the lift attachment is especially handy.

Interestingly I used to own the CPE2 variant in the 1990's with a lift and actually prefer without for exactly the reason it states in the video - it used to spill chemicals out of the tube. The CPA version also has a water pump to avaoid un even heating of the water bath. The dial doesn't indicate the correct temp exactly but the unit comes with an analogue thermometer, however for £15 I invested in a digital thermometer using two thermocouples so the water bath temp and chemical temp can be read at the same time :)

Following coming across the Ektachrome thread in the General Talk Photography section, I was inspired to look for a Canon film body to go with the digital ones, and EF lenses.

Found an EOS 30V at Harrisons used listing for £60 delivered and it has now arrived.

I have to say that I'm impressed with the condition - it looks pretty much unused, and appears to be fully working ok.

Off to shoot some film for the first time in years - followed advice and got a roll of Agfa Vista Plus 400 to test it with, then likely I'll have a go with some Velvia 50.... :)

Untitled by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Following coming across the Ektachrome thread in the General Talk Photography section, I was inspired to look for a Canon film body to go with the digital ones, and EF lenses.

Found an EOS 30V at Harrisons used listing for £60 delivered and it has now arrived.

I have to say that I'm impressed with the condition - it looks pretty much unused, and appears to be fully working ok.

Off to shoot some film for the first time in years - followed advice and got a roll of Agfa Vista Plus 400 to test it with, then likely I'll have a go with some Velvia 50.... :)

Untitled by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Nice camera and I have it plus eos300 but surely a lot cheaper on ebay?

Nice camera and I have it plus eos300 but surely a lot cheaper on ebay?

Looking at recent Ebay completed listings, several EOS30 bodies have gone for between £40 and £50 + postage.
EOS30V body went for £31 and another for £32.50 both +£5.75 postage, and both non-working (spares/repair).
30V with 28-105 lens and battery grip was £101 + £10.50 postage

There haven't been that many 30Vs (and I wanted the V variant as it has ETTL flash compatibility).

Finally, buying from Harrisons also includes a 12 month warranty, which you obviously don't get from Ebay.

So I didn't think £60 including delivery was that bad, and as I say, it actually looks pretty much unused.

Last edited:
For anything approaching a mint-condition EOS 30 you'll most likely pay around £50 to £60 these days on eBay, so I think £60 for the rarer 30v in almost mint, boxed, condition from a bricks and mortar shop with 12 months guarantee and free delivery is a bargain. Put it this way, I'd have bought it if I'd seen it for that price! (y)

The 30v was the last 'enthusiast grade' 35mm SLR that Canon launched and sold (2004 - 2007), so I think it's likely to be of some interest to collectors in years to come. Unless something really goes wrong with the film camera collecting market I can't see you losing any money on it at that price as long as you look after it, keep it looking mint and don't wear it out!

To some people it might look too much like a digital camera but, to be honest I've found that's sometimes an advantage... The novelty can soon wear off if people see you using an old-fashioned looking film camera and want to have a chat about it. Fine if you've got time to stop and chat, but if you're pushed for time and need to grab some photos then it can be a bit of a nuisance! Plus, with one of the last of the film SLRs you've often got a really accurate multi-zone metering system, built in motor-drive, multi-point and reasonably fast auto-focus and the ability to use modern, image stabilised lenses, which can be handy and provide some lovely results.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy using a fully manual vintage film camera and taking my time over trying to get everything right, but it's also nice to experience just how good the latter-day film cameras got before digital finally killed them off.

Last edited:

It's a Chamonix 8x10 camera, with a Nikkor 240/5.6, Schneider 360/6.8 and Nikkor 450/9, plus a couple of Toyo holders.

The tripod and lightmeter I already had for use with my 5x4, now I just need to sort out a bag big enough to carry this beast!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on with this! I've often thought about getting an 8x10 set up, but the idea disappears in a puff of smoke as soon as I start looking at the costs.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on with this! I've often thought about getting an 8x10 set up, but the idea disappears in a puff of smoke as soon as I start looking at the costs.

At the moment costs isn't so much the issue, I don't tend to shoot a very high volume anyway, so material costs shouldn't be too bad, and essentially I'm thinking I'll be "keeping it for best" if you will, shooting it on the scenes that will benefit most.

The real issue now is I need a new bag as it just (by about 15mm) doesn't fit in my existing one, and trying to sort out home deving of black and white without spending a fortune on a rotary processor :eek:

The real issue now is I need a new bag as it just (by about 15mm) doesn't fit in my existing one, and trying to sort out home deving of black and white without spending a fortune on a rotary processor

If you're only doing a few negatives then you could try tray developing? I've done it for 4x5 and it's ok if you're careful not to scratch the negs. I used some cheap baking trays to hold the chemicals and had no issues (plus it was cheap as chips!). Hardest part was making the bathroom light tight!

For anything approaching a mint-condition EOS 30 you'll most likely pay around £50 to £60 these days on eBay, so I think £60 for the rarer 30v in almost mint, boxed, condition from a bricks and mortar shop with 12 months guarantee and free delivery is a bargain. Put it this way, I'd have bought it if I'd seen it for that price! (y)

The 30v was the last 'enthusiast grade' 35mm SLR that Canon launched and sold (2004 - 2007), so I think it's likely to be of some interest to collectors in years to come. Unless something really goes wrong with the film camera collecting market I can't see you losing any money on it at that price as long as you look after it, keep it looking mint and don't wear it out!

To some people it might look too much like a digital camera but, to be honest I've found that's sometimes an advantage... The novelty can soon wear off if people see you using an old-fashioned looking film camera and want to have a chat about it. Fine if you've got time to stop and chat, but if you're pushed for time and need to grab some photos then it can be a bit of a nuisance! Plus, with one of the last of the film SLRs you've often got a really accurate multi-zone metering system, built in motor-drive, multi-point and reasonably fast auto-focus and the ability to use modern, image stabilised lenses, which can be handy and provide some lovely results.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy using a fully manual vintage film camera and taking my time over trying to get everything right, but it's also nice to experience just how good the latter-day film cameras got before digital finally killed them off.

WOW! I could have bought plenty of bodies at the bootie for peanuts...incidentally it might be worth checking at the charity shops as one, I went to, the guy said go into the back as there are a load of camera stuff that I haven't had time to sort through and there was stacks of AF bodies Nikon, Canon etc but all the cheap plastic fantastic stuff and no F4's F100s etc (erm and other collectors stuff) and no decent manual focus lenses (what I was after).

If you're only doing a few negatives then you could try tray developing? I've done it for 4x5 and it's ok if you're careful not to scratch the negs. I used some cheap baking trays to hold the chemicals and had no issues (plus it was cheap as chips!). Hardest part was making the bathroom light tight!

Lightproof Inc would be the problem. At the moment I'm looking at buying one of the Jobo drums and building a simple motor/Arduino controller to do the rotating.

Lightproof Inc would be the problem. At the moment I'm looking at buying one of the Jobo drums and building a simple motor/Arduino controller to do the rotating.

I have a Jobo 10 x 8 print drum that I'm selling which would be perfect - I can upload some pics tonight if you are interested?

That is utter filth. I'm also very jealous of your Nikkor M 450mm. Would love one of those!

That is utter filth. I'm also very jealous of your Nikkor M 450mm. Would love one of those!

:D

It unfortunately needs the shutter servicing as speeds below 1/8th are slow, but it's a lovely lens and I couldn't resist.

It might be possible for you to have a play with it up in Scotland, for a small fee of course :p

:D

It unfortunately needs the shutter servicing as speeds below 1/8th are slow, but it's a lovely lens and I couldn't resist.

It might be possible for you to have a play with it up in Scotland, for a small fee of course :p
...involving whisky???

Well, I won't be bringing all 40 bottles, but I'll certainly bring some ;)

Last edited:
Back