OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Received a lensboard today with an offset and obscure diameter hole.
It's too large for copal 0 and too small for copal 1 BUT it is perfect for an old Bausch lens/shutter that I salvaged from a broken quarter plate camera.
It has speeds from 1 sec to 1/100, plus B & T, apertures from F/4 to F/64 though the iris closes considerably further so possibly F/128 and it looks to have a focal length of about 13cm.
At first glance it appears to cover 5x4 without vignetting; I'll be checking tomorrow in good light after I've given it a good clean.
It kinda has a classy look on the Tachihara and it weighs practically nowt…..most definetly the lightest LF lens I have :D
The only thing missing is a mounting for a cable release which is a shame but I don't think it will cause a big problem.

DSCF3819.jpg

Another New Toy…..Blimey what a treat, two in one day!:D

More of an aid really.

Came across these clothes hangers today whilst down in the big city ( Nice!) with integrated clips which were designed perfectly for film hanging!:p

Pack of 3 stainless hangers for 5 euros…..Bargain(y)

DSCF3821.jpg

The only thing missing is a mounting for a cable release which is a shame but I don't think it will cause a big problem.

Check the lower ends of the vertical cylinders. If one has a hole in the end, then it's used with a rubber tube and bulb. I've got a similar one that might be older...

Test Camera 01.jpg

The bulb bit at the bottom of the left hand cylinder has a hole for shoving air into. (It's only ever used on T, so I've never needed to try the air release thing.)

Check the lower ends of the vertical cylinders. If one has a hole in the end, then it's used with a rubber tube and bulb. I've got a similar one that might be older...

View attachment 135759

The bulb bit at the bottom of the left hand cylinder has a hole for shoving air into. (It's only ever used on T, so I've never needed to try the air release thing.)
Youre a genius:
The left hand cyclinder/ piston has a hole in the bottom.
If I pull the cylinder up by hand ( i tried blowing into the hole but could only get the shutter release lever to move a fraction!) then the shutter release lever descends fully and fires the shutter.
So now the question is can one get a hand "air pump" device with hose to attach to the nozzle on the bottom of that cycliber/piston

o now the question is can one get a hand "air pump" device with hose to attach to the nozzle on the bottom of that cycliber/piston

I've found a few on the bay from UK and USA sellers but the appear to have screw attachments not unlike standard cable shutter releases.
The fiiting on my shutter isn't threaded, it seems like the air hose will have simply slipped over the nozzle on the base of the cylinder

Another New Toy…..Blimey what a treat, two in one day!:D

More of an aid really.

Came across these clothes hangers today whilst down in the big city ( Nice!) with integrated clips which were designed perfectly for film hanging!:p

Pack of 3 stainless hangers for 5 euros…..Bargain(y)

View attachment 135739

Great minds think alike - mine came from B&M in the UK about the same price. With a little minor surgery and a cable tie this works quite well from a single hook over the bath in my darkroom (well darkroom is what I call it) if somebody is using the shower in the other bathroom.

20181002_223518.jpg

I've found a few on the bay from UK and USA sellers but the appear to have screw attachments not unlike standard cable shutter releases.
The fiiting on my shutter isn't threaded, it seems like the air hose will have simply slipped over the nozzle on the base of the cylinder

Just use a rocket blower and a length of rubber tube cut to the size required then push over the bulb and rocket blower nozzle.(y)

To late TT beat me to it. :)

Last edited:
Just use a rocket blower and a length of rubber tube cut to the size required then push over the bulb and rocket blower nozzle.(y)

To late TT beat me to it. :)

While other photographers have had their rocket blowers confiscated at airport security nobody has ever bothered about the enema bulb I carry in my camera bag .... :naughty:

nobody has ever bothered about the enema bulb I carry in my camera bag .... :naughty:

Errrr they probably don't wish to know about your ermm, personal problems :D:D:D

other photographers have had their rocket blowers confiscated at airport security

Why??…….Are they go to "blow up" ( inflate:p) the plane? :thinking:

I've just found it by chance that I can fold the tachihara down with this lens in place……

I've yet to shoot a frame with it to see what results are like but so far I know it's a 13cm focal length and that there are no obvious signs of vignetting on the GG.

The fact that I can leave this old lens attached means that it could very well become my " everyday" go to LF camera / lens set up:)

It's the same with my Symmar 150mm. I love these small lenses.

I found that if I flipped my 150mm Sironar-N over (as in the front element/shutter facing into the bellows) I could fold the Tachihara with a lens inside it. Didn't save me any time as I still had to detach/reattach it but it was a helpful way to save space.

I found that if I flipped my 150mm Sironar-N over (as in the front element/shutter facing into the bellows) I could fold the Tachihara with a lens inside it. Didn't save me any time as I still had to detach/reattach it but it was a helpful way to save space.

Thanks for that Lloyd(y)

Not only a space saver but also better protection for the lens rather than it being packed seperatly in the bag!;)

I'll be having a play with my other lenses:)

Not something new but, with much trepidation and jangling of nerves, I've serviced the shutter release on the XA2.

It was getting a bit hit and miss.

It now works like something for the weekend - sensitive and feather light.

fingers crossed I haven't broken anything.

Having tea and cake in Skipton after an expensive time in West Yorkshire Cameras in Leeds. I now have lens board for a bare lens in my case, a pneumatic bulb release, a roll ofPan F in 120, and a film holder to go with it - otherwise called a 6x9 Ensign folder.

I did think of that when I got it (from a basket of assorted cable releases) but the "business end" is still a conventional metal plunger, rather than a blast of air. It is on a nice reel - I haven't yet unwound it to find the range.

Last edited:
My latest camera buy was this Coronet Fildia. I could see it had film in it in the shop but didn't seem to be winding on. Now I'm home it's out and it's an Ilford Selochrome, 50+ years old I guess. Tomorrow seems like a good day to see what's on it.

I also picked up a Praktica TL5B which is fully working, it's just the lens that has an issue. The marks are on the inside of the front element. It looks as though someone has already tried to open it up. Still £10 isn't too bad.

I also got another Yashica 35-70mm f3.5 MC for £7.99 from Cash Converters.IMG_20181006_171329_532.jpegIMG_20181006_174308.jpeg

I got home from work today to find a few "film related" items. Most of which was actually film, in two separate parcels.

The first parcel contained some film that had travelled all the way from China, My Heart 35mm ISO 200 27 exposure. It was £2.88 a roll so I thought I'd try it. Checking the code on Dexter's site says the film is Ferrania. Though the code is just on a sticker.

The other parcel contained 5 expired Kodak films, 1 Ultra 400 24exp, 3 Gold 200 36exp, 1 Gold 100 36exp and 6 Truprint 24 exposure films.

I also was given a set of 52mm K&F Concept filters containing UV, ND2, ND4, ND8, CPL and FLD filters. My Dad picked them up in a charity shop for 99p. By coincidence I also bought a set of 58mm close up filters on my way home.IMG_20181015_165950.jpegIMG_20181015_170214.jpeg

Latest toy originally from the USSR

IMGP5158.JPG

I've received three Toyo 4x5 holders in the post that look pretty much unused;

holders.jpg

However, 'pretty much unused' isn't the same as 'unused' and when I removed the dark slide from one of them I found a shiny sheet of film looking at me! Looking at the notch code, I think it's Provia but I now need to check the others in a dark bag to see if there are any other sheets already loaded.

filmtab.jpg

The only problem then is, do I still shoot them and pay for E6 processing at the risk of finding out they're already exposed, well expired or perfect? Decisions, decisions!

chuck em in the bin and forget about them.

I've bought loads of cameras with shot film in them, never souped any of em, straight in the bin and shut the door on the way through...:D

Beg to differ. Sheets of ruined 5x4 are always useful for practiing loading a different tank, or just showing curious people in the field what the film looks like.

r just showing curious people in the field what the film looks like.

Do it all the time, in fact only yesterday when someone visited my place to collect something I was in the midst of loading half a dozen DDS and yes he was curious as he had no idea what sheet film was and why I wanted to faff like that at which point he went on to show me how fantastic his smartphone was at capturing beautiful images:rolleyes:…..I quickly became bored and gently persuaded him that he best be on his way:D

Back