OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Been busy reading the user manual but not before I spent several minutes failing to get into the battery compartment as I was trying to undo the wrong circular thing with a coin slot... :sorry:

:facepalm:, and I was under the impression ( from many ladies) that it's men who read instruction manuals AFTER they are confronted with a problem!

No piccies as yet, but I've acquired a Bronica ETRS and 75mm, 105mm, 150mm and 250mm lenses plus a 2x converter. So far, one roll of Delta 100 exposed (yesterday), one roll Delta 400 (yesterday/today) and three frames of Ektar.

Ansel Adams was once asked about what camera he carried (or something like that) and replied "the heaviest I can manage" (or something like that). With increasing age (I'm a decade - or is that spelled "decayed" - older than I was last week), perhaps I should take up miniature photography. Though when I started, the RPS definition of miniature photography was based on film area, and roll film formats less than 6x9 were miniature. Miniature Camera magazine from the 1930s covered Leica, Contax and Exakta; but also Rolleiflex...

Last edited:
No piccies as yet, but I've acquired a Bronica ETRS and 75mm, 105mm, 150mm and 250mm lenses plus a 2x converter. So far, one roll of Delta 100 exposed (yesterday), one roll Delta 400 (yesterday/today) and three frames of Ektar.
I must admit ive always fanciced trying an ETRS or ETRSi. I will scratch that itch at some point

New to me mamiya arrived yesterday. I'm now waiting for it to stop piddling down with rain.

Been busy reading the user manual but not before I spent several minutes failing to get into the battery compartment as I was trying to undo the wrong circular thing with a coin slot... :sorry:
Never mind, ready in time for Smallwood, eh! ;)

B719C36E-12F0-4A06-9DE9-A6E49E761FE4.jpeg

To go with the F70. I’ve had occasions where I’ve wanted to shoot with the F70 in colour (or black and white) but it’s had a part-used roll of the opposite format in already. Now, at last, this major first-world problem has been resolved!

It does mean I can have full control of my G lenses too, and can use a shutter release. Plus I it has FIVE AF points. :D

Cost me £30 (without a lens) as I had a £10-off eBay voucher. It’s in very nice condition too.

Last edited:
Received a Canon EOS 3 this week from WYC to complement my EOS 50e. It's a bit of a step up as far as the build quality goes. Similar in functionality to the 50e but the main difference is that is has more focus points and faster focus. After using my manual focus cameras it seems like a bit of a cheat, but it's so easy to use.

I've almost finished the first film but I'll probably take a couple more before I send them off to AG.

Heretical I know but I do have a plan to sell my 40D and replace it with a full frame body so my digital rig and Canon film system are complimentary. I'm still so in love with the look of film though.

Won't abandon all the other analogue stuff.

Received a Canon EOS 3 this week from WYC to complement my EOS 50e. It's a bit of a step up as far as the build quality goes. Similar in functionality to the 50e but the main difference is that is has more focus points and faster focus. After using my manual focus cameras it seems like a bit of a cheat, but it's so easy to use.

I've almost finished the first film but I'll probably take a couple more before I send them off to AG.

Heretical I know but I do have a plan to sell my 40D and replace it with a full frame body so my digital rig and Canon film system are complimentary. I'm still so in love with the look of film though.

Won't abandon all the other analogue stuff.
I have the EOS-3 too (bought it new more years ago than I care to remember, as it only seems like about 6!), I love the eye-controlled focus system on it, and how they got that to work on 45 focus points in the late 90s is a real tribute to them. It will probably take you about a week to read the instruction manual for the camera though, how many custom function options has it got?! o_O If you like the EOS 50 and the 3, then see if you can find a reasonably priced EOS-30, a cracking compromise between functions, build quality and weight, with a really good metering system.

If you're after a full frame body to share the same lenses then perhaps have a look at a 'low mileage' Canon 6D Mk1; you should be ale to find one for around the 6 to 7 hundred quid mark at the moment, which I think is great value for what you get, and it's so good to get shallow depth of field back after using a crop sensor DSLR.

Last edited:
Enthused by @Andysnap 's write-up on the Selfix 16-20 here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...nal-camera-review-thread.529199/#post-6096923 , I duly bought one from yon auction site. It's effectively identical to the one in Andy's review, so no photos of the item itself. I think it's fair to say that there is a learning curve to using it, particularly that it is really a left-handed camera :rolleyes:, but I hope I've made most of the mistakes on the first roll of film. Bearing in mind that this is a mid 50s folder with a triplet lens, it's pretty impressive. The photos are with 2006 FP4+ to check for operation/leaks, but I'll be shooting more modern film with it soon.

#1 Out of season
2019-01-18-0003-copy-tp.jpg

#2 Nairn bandstand
2019-01-18-0013-copy-tp.jpg

#3 Nairn harbour
2019-01-18-0006-copy-tp.jpg

Here's my new Selfix out enjoying a chilly day yesterday with HP5+. Unfortunately, the wind-on decided to jam (winder would turn, but film didn't move as could be seen through the red window) after the 7th shot, so that was pretty much it for this test as it felt as though the film had snapped off. Unloading it back in the darkbag found the film to be OK, but the winding was just very tight. I don't know if it was just this one film that was a problem, but will try again this week when we get a better day. :thinking:
20190119_134603-copy-tp.jpg

2019-01-20-0008-copy-tp.jpg

2019-01-20-0012-copy-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Snap Ive just bought one of these too. Its great having so many lenses I can use with it. I paid a little more than you. came with the strap and four rolls of different films .31872489427_9c84abe59a_k (1).jpg
View attachment 235358

To go with the F70. I’ve had occasions where I’ve wanted to shoot with the F70 in colour (or black and white) but it’s had a part-used roll of the opposite format in already. Now, at last, this major first-world problem has been resolved!

It does mean I can have full control of my G lenses too, and can use a shutter release. Plus I it has FIVE AF points. :D

Cost me £30 (without a lens) as I had a £10-off eBay voucher. It’s in very nice condition too.

Snap Ive just bought one of these too. Its great having so many lenses I can use with it. I paid a little more than you. came with the strap and four rolls of different films .View attachment 235588

I started on my first roll through mine today. I had a brief moment of concern when it flashed an ERR warning when I tried to take a shot, but then realised it was because Fomapan don't DX encode their cannisters any more and the camera was set to DX mode. Once I changed the film speed using the dial it was fine.

Im wondering if I can set it up with back-button focussing (like I use on my DSLR) as the AF is very twitchy and I'm finding it slightly awkward to use the shutter button to focus and then pressing the AF Lock button to keep it in place while I recompose the picture. Otherwise I'm sure I'll get used to it. :)

I started on my first roll through mine today. I had a brief moment of concern when it flashed an ERR warning when I tried to take a shot, but then realised it was because Fomapan don't DX encode their cannisters any more and the camera was set to DX mode. Once I changed the film speed using the dial it was fine.

Im wondering if I can set it up with back-button focussing (like I use on my DSLR) as the AF is very twitchy and I'm finding it slightly awkward to use the shutter button to focus and then pressing the AF Lock button to keep it in place while I recompose the picture. Otherwise I'm sure I'll get used to it. :)

Thats funny, I set up all my DSLR's to back button focusing, when my F80 turned up it was already configured for back button focusing but I dont know how you set it up like that.

Thats funny, I set up all my DSLR's to back button focusing, when my F80 turned up it was already configured for back button focusing but I dont know how you set it up like that.

I've not really looked into it as yet, but there are custom settings you can apply, so it might be one of those.

EDIT: Found it. It's under the Custom 11 setting. :)

Last edited:
I used WYC on Friday to buy a nikkor 70-210mm it arrived today in mint, brand new almost condition,very pleased and the best bit it was in their sale at £89.00

reduced to £39.00 what a bargain, I will use them again.(y)

Here's my new Selfix out enjoying a chilly day yesterday with HP5+. Unfortunately, the wind-on decided to jam (winder would turn, but film didn't move as could be seen through the red window) after the 7th shot, so that was pretty much it for this test as it felt as though the film had snapped off. Unloading it back in the darkbag found the film to be OK, but the winding was just very tight. I don't know if it was just this one film that was a problem, but will try again this week when we get a better day. :thinking:
View attachment 235577

View attachment 235578

View attachment 235579
Update from yesterday's outing in Inverness with the Selfix is that the roll of Acros ran smoothly all the way through to the end. (y)

Just a pity that the final 2 frames were blank. (n) And that the frames where I used the cable release were both blurred through movement. :thinking: Ah well, onward :snaphappy:

2019-01-22-0001-copy-tp.jpg

2019-01-22-0003-copy-tp.jpg

2019-01-22-0010-copy-tp.jpg

Ok, I am done. Absolutely no more camera gear at all I want, need or will buy.

I bought the body months ago as I always promised myself if one came up at the right price, I would grab it....so I did. Until today though, I had no lens for it. I saw this boxed and in almost mint condition on eBay, made an offer and got it. It arrived today.......
F3T.jpg

Ok, I am done. Absolutely no more camera gear at all I want, need or will buy.

I bought the body months ago as I always promised myself if one came up at the right price, I would grab it....so I did. Until today though, I had no lens for it. I saw this boxed and in almost mint condition on eBay, made an offer and got it. It arrived today.......
View attachment 236032

Nice Gareth!

I keep saying the same as you but every two months I suffer GAS! I purchased Andysnap's Rolleicord from him and said that was the last.........................but I now have a love affair with Rollei (already got 3) & TLR's .........................oh bugger another want is on the horizon! (rattling the piggy bank as we speak).

Last edited:
Nice Gareth!

I keep saying the same as you but every two months I suffer GAS! I purchased Andysnap's Rolleicord from him and said that was the last.........................but I now have a love affair with Rollei (already got 3) & TLR's .........................oh bugger another want is on the horizon! (rattling the piggy bank as we speak).

Ha. I would love a Rolleiflex and I know where there is a lovely 3.5f for a sale and just seen a 2.8, however, I cannot. I really miss my Hasselblad and recently considered selling the 67ii to make a Hasselblad my MF camera again but couldn't manage it. The images from the 105mm F2.4 on the 67 are so good. It doesn't have as much charm to shoot with but I can nail focus far more often on the Pentax.

Ha. I would love a Rolleiflex and I know where there is a lovely 3.5f for a sale and just seen a 2.8, however, I cannot. I really miss my Hasselblad and recently considered selling the 67ii to make a Hasselblad my MF camera again but couldn't manage it. The images from the 105mm F2.4 on the 67 are so good. It doesn't have as much charm to shoot with but I can nail focus far more often on the Pentax.

Of Course, just out of pure interest where is this lovely 3.5f? Not that this is exactly what I'm after.................flippin heck!

Of Course, just out of pure interest where is this lovely 3.5f? Not that this is exactly what I'm after.................flippin heck!

It belongs to a friend of mine. He goes back and forth about selling it (like me with everything else) and I have been tempted so don't even know if it's for sale at the moment.

Only the other day I was absolutely determined to sell everything besides the Leica, pick up a Hasselblad 500cm and call it done and shoot those two to death. That didn't go well.

I have just taken delivery of a Nikon F-301. I have been wanting to try a Nikon for some years but the bodies never (or very rarely) get sold with a lens and Nikon lenses are very confusing - even the manual for this 1980s camera lists lenses that either will not work or must not be used. Add 30-odd years of lens development ...

Any road, I have this one complete with a Tokina lens. The camera uses AAA batteries so no compatibility there. I do not actually have any AAA batteries in my battery store so I am not sure the camera works but it looks clean and dent free so I am optimistic. Batteries will be bought in about an hour so I shall then know for sure.

Last edited:
Nikon lenses are very confusing - even the manual for this 1980s camera lists lenses that either will not work or must not be used

Ignoring the fairly modern "G lenses" that don't possess an aperture ring on them, ASFAIK all ( or just about all Nikon lenses) ever produced would mount each Nikon body and be usable.
Some lens / body combinations may have certain restrictions regarding metering but as for taking images, the compatability of nikon lenses with Nikon bodies has changed little over the years.
The only exception that I can think of dates back to the original 'Non AI" lenses which, on certain bodies would foul the mirror.

I have just taken delivery of a Nikon F-301. I have been wanting to try a Nikon for some years but the bodies never (or very rarely) get sold with a lens and Nikon lenses are very confusing - even the manual for this 1980s camera lists lenses that either will not work or must not be used. Add 30-odd years of lens development ...

Any road, I have this one complete with a Tokina lens. The camera uses AAA batteries so no compatibility there. I do not actually have any AAA batteries in my battery store so I am not sure the camera works but it looks clean and dent free so I am optimistic. Batteries will be bought in about an hour so I shall then know for sure.

This https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility will cover the last 30 years too - and yes is confusing - Canon's if it fits it works system works (more or less). EDIT - Hmmph (n) they seem to have trimmed the film camera list I'm sure there were some older models on there at one time.

Last edited:

6x7 MK 11 Rock :D:pentax:

It works! I am always at least a bit surprised when a new old camera actually does what it should. I have a film in it at the moment and have taken some pictures of freezing fog. Tomorrow I am hoping there will be something visible I can photograph with the rest of the test film.

Ignoring the fairly modern "G lenses" that don't possess an aperture ring on them, ASFAIK all ( or just about all Nikon lenses) ever produced would mount each Nikon body and be usable.
Some lens / body combinations may have certain restrictions regarding metering but as for taking images, the compatability of nikon lenses with Nikon bodies has changed little over the years.
The only exception that I can think of dates back to the original 'Non AI" lenses which, on certain bodies would foul the mirror.
This https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility will cover the last 30 years too - and yes is confusing - Canon's if it fits it works system works (more or less). EDIT - Hmmph (n) they seem to have trimmed the film camera list I'm sure there were some older models on there at one time.
Thank you both. At the moment I shall stick to the Tokina lens I currently have, but your info will be useful if I decide this camera is a user.

Back