OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Today's early trip to Crewe flea market ... ...including an Olympus 35RD with f/1.7 lens which is in working order except for speeds below a 1/15th ....

First test film up and drying from the 35RD - shot (inverted) from mobile phone - no prizes for @simon ess for recognising the location.

20190822_123520.jpg

Last edited:
Pickup up this rather nice XA3 the weekend for £25.00.

Have been looking for a small pocket sized camera to carry around during the week and this fits the bill nicely.

Was sold wit a defective flash, which took a couple of minutes to clean the battery contacts and it spring back into life....

Currently loaded with XP2 and will be interesting to see the results.

XA3 by Anthony JC, on Flickr
Nice, I'm just trying to remember if I have an XA3. I have an XA and a couple each of the XA2 and XA1, I guess I could add the spares together.

This was the description of my latest buy off eBay: Nikon F60 35mm SLR film camera body, sold as repair or spares: I tried a batteries in here and there is an error [E] message on the display and also F_ _. I am not sure if this is because there is no lens or something else, but assume the worst, untested any further.

It had a Buy It Now price of £1.49 and had the option to make an offer. I just thought I'd risk it and pay the full amount. [emoji38]
The F60 arrived and initially displayed F:EE when the lens was attached. It eventually sorted itself out though and is working fine now.

I bought a Yashica 108 with Yashica MC 35-70mm and a Minolta Dynax 5xi with 80-200mm xi zoom today both with manuals. They cost me £30 each. The Minolta came in a LowePro Apex 110W bag with lens hood, rear cap and body cap. No battery so I couldn't test it but I ran a roll of Ultramax through the Yashica.

On the subject of Minolta I've received a message to collect the Dynax 40 body I bought off eBay for £10. I also got a Dynax 3L for the same price with a 35-80mm lens. That one is on it's way.

Today's Minoltas, The Dynax 5xi with the 80-200mm f4.5-5.6 Zoom Xi and the Dynax 40 with one of my nifty fifties. The 40 seems very similar to the Dynax 5 but without any custom functions. I do like those custom settings.OIP00018.jpg

It looks like Brian's Canon

Sorry Steve @Manwithacam I REALLY don't like the look of that bottom one!

Well you have to take your hat off to Steve for knowing all the Minolta models......it confuses me and I avoid Minolta AF.
In a box at the bootie there is a Canon 1000f (confusing as well) with 35mm-80mm zoom and in a case, well no one is buying it over the weeks at £4 and over the weeks I've offered £3...who will win in the end. :D

Well you have to take your hat off to Steve for knowing all the Minolta models......it confuses me and I avoid Minolta AF.
In a box at the bootie there is a Canon 1000f (confusing as well) with 35mm-80mm zoom and in a case, well no one is buying it over the weeks at £4 and over the weeks I've offered £3...who will win in the end. :D
Don't avoid Minolta AF there are so many great cameras and lenses out there. Split the difference with the Canon, offer £3.50 before someone else takes it or even better offer £2 then raise it back to £3.

Does Rudolf Kingslake's History of the Photographic Lens (just delivered) count as film related?

Does Rudolf Kingslake's History of the Photographic Lens (just delivered) count as film related?

I would say YES! as lenses were produced before anything digital came along ….Depending how far back the history goes in the book, you may have to start a new ( glass plate) related thread!;)

It starts (as you might expect) with the Petzval lens, which was the first lens made (as far as I know) by calculation rather than trial and error. Rudolf Kingslake is a name worth looking up, for those unfamiliar with the name.

Edit to add update (after starting reading). It commences a quarter century before photography, in 1812.

Last edited:
I have just received a Zeiss Ikon Ikonette camera. It is a folding camera designed for 'ladies' (because ladies cannot manage a large proper camera). It takes 127 film and is rather small. It has a Goerz Frontar lens which is a cemented doublet. One shutter speed and three apertures. It focuses to either infinity or 9 (meters or feet?).

It has a roll of Kodak Pan film in it which I shall develop in due course. It cost me ten times the new price (if I ignore inflation since 1929).
P1010347.jpegP1010350.jpeg

I have just received a Zeiss Ikon Ikonette camera. It is a folding camera designed for 'ladies' (because ladies cannot manage a large proper camera). It takes 127 film and is rather small. It has a Goerz Frontar lens which is a cemented doublet. One shutter speed and three apertures. It focuses to either infinity or 9 (meters or feet?).

It has a roll of Kodak Pan film in it which I shall develop in due course. It cost me ten times the new price (if I ignore inflation since 1929).
View attachment 253697View attachment 253696
It'll be 9 feet as kitchens tend to be small :)

The Dynax 3L arrived complete with AF 35-80mm f4-5.6 Macro lens with hood. It is better looking than the Dynax 40, being more like the the Dynax 5 but is a very simple design being Program only with 5 creative settings. Very much a point and shoot camera.OIP00019.jpg

Picked up an Olympus Winder 2 for a fiver from a charity shop on my way home from work. I'll have to try it out on my OM2n or one of my OM10s.

I got myself a working Pentax-M 85/2... some of you may remember that I bought one years ago, which had a sticky iris. I asked on here and you advised me to send it back, but instead I got enough money off to pay for a CLA. Well, you were right, and the lens was never right for long. I think I had a couple more CLAs done before selling it as faulty for half what I originally paid for it (full fault disclosure... TBF it was very nice indeed wide open, and could be made usable at other apertures if you were prepared to spend half an hour fiddling with the aperture tab first). Anyway, it's been a gap in my lens range since then, so I was pleased to get one from Italy (before Brexit, yeah!) on the first bid. And it looks very nice... I'd forgotten quite what a sweet lens it is, with a massive front optic inside a 49 mm ring, and apparently only a little bigger than my M 35/2! Oh, and the aperture/iris works very nicely AFAICS.

How about this from only 50 years ago. It makes you cringe at the attitude to females.
A bit off topic but worth a watch:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZNhWmr_X5k
Even more cringeworthy when you think that this was filmed in the era of Pat Moss (a distinguished rally driver), who could show most of the male inhabitants of the planet at the time a thing or two about skilful driving!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7RzjGW8hxc

And if you wanted to know what something like a 'Works' 1960s Austin Healey 3000 was like to drive (very tamely) then here you go. Now imagine ramping that up to what Pat would have done, day and night, and with all guns blazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HRaR6edOIA

Don't talk to me about 'women drivers' because I've seen enough crap male ones to last me a lifetime! :(

Last edited:
Even more cringeworthy when you think that this was filmed in the era of Pat Moss (a distinguished rally driver), who could show most of the male inhabitants of the planet at the time a thing or two about skilful driving!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7RzjGW8hxc

And if you wanted to know what something like a 'Works' 1960s Austin Healey 3000 was like to drive (very tamely) then here you go. Now imagine ramping that up to what Pat would have done, day and night, and with all guns blazing!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HRaR6edOIA

Don't talk to me about 'women drivers' because I've seen enough crap male ones to last me a lifetime! :(

I was also interested trying to imagine what the skill level was for the (female?) photojournalist shooting the rally with, presumably, a Hassy at 1:40 in the first video! It takes me about a minute to get framing and focus with a TLR on a stationary subject!

My newly purchased Rolleicord Vb arrived today and I picked it up after lunch. Improving weather encouraged me to nip along to Ffordes for some film, and I carried on to Cannich to try out my new toy. Unfortunately, the weather then turned dull and miserable again, but here are a couple of shots of the derelict Glen Affric Hotel anyway, and a bit of background here https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/ambitious-plans-lodged-for-eyesore-hotel-in-cannich-135551/ 2011 Acros in replenished stock Xtol.

2019-09-03-0009-copy-tp.jpg

2019-09-03-0011-copy-tp.jpg

2019-09-03-0012-copy-tp.jpg

And I just got a couple of Fidelity 9x12 DDSs and a half plate Fidelity DDS in as new condition from Ffordes.

Just picked up this little E Series 50mm Nikon. Been after one for a while for my little EM, thought I'd got one - then lost out on it. Not bad for £30 and looks in good condition.

They are great lenses; I have previously owned the 35mm and still have a 75-150mm with the all important electric tape to prevent the zoom mechanism budging. Fears about durability surrounding their plastic construction are unwarranted - if they've survived up until now, they are pretty durable! They remain one of the cheapest and most efficient ways to get into Nikon film glass.

Just picked this up at a local antiques/salvage dealer as it was less than getting a film processed. I haven't checked the meter yet, but the camera works without batteries anyway. Some fungus in the lens, but doubt if it will affect the photos. EDIT: turns out the meter doesn't work, but this'll be my go-to camera for rainy days and beach shots with a variation of Sunny 16 (drab 4?)

20190905_175831_resized-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Just added this Minolta Dynax 800si to my collection. I'm off to Liverpool at the weekend so I may take this along. I'm thinking of taking some, Delta 3200 and Tmax 3200 to take some photos in the Cavern Club along with some Neopan 400CN, Ilford XP2 and ProImage 100 and my Dynax 5.IMG_20190905_200543.jpg

My latest camera, and it isn't a Minolta [emoji2962]. I got this Kodak Retina IIa today while I'm visiting Liverpool. The meter is working it came with case, meter, hood, yellow filter and instructions (in German). I couldn't resist it even though it was £75.

It's locked and loaded so we'll see how it does. The meter is accurate compared to my Dynax 800si, or at least they both metered 1/500s at f8 for the same photo using the 400 ISO film. The Dynax has XP2 super and the Retina has Neopan 400CN.IMG_20190908_175628.jpgIMG_20190908_175542.jpg

Having parted with my horseman LE monorail sometime ago which was a beautiful piece of kit but heavy like many monorails are(6kg), I came across a very light (albeit very much more expensive) alternative in the U.S.
These canham dlc cameras don’t come up very often second hand and although this cost it was still a darned sight less of a payout had I tried to buy the slightly revised mk2 version.
In excellent condition overall. Just some slight creasing to the bellows.
I await a lensboard adapter so as to mount the lenses which are on standard Linhoff boards to correspond with my other field 5x4 outfits weighing between 1kg and 3kg all of which have different attributes thus offer better functionality depending on subject matter.

IMG_0450.JPGIMG_0446.JPG

No pretty photos to show, but I got a Canham MQC today. To all intents and purposes, it looks just like Asha's DLC except that it's 5x7 rather than 4x5. Also arrived today: a box of FP4 in 5x7 and some negative sleeves for the same size.

The amazing thing (to me) is that although physically larger, the MQC actually weighs just slightly less than my Walker Titan SF - and, of course, has longer bellows.

A Nikon F601. A rather nicely designed and made camera at first glance. It is basically the equivalent of the early Canon EOS cameras. Came with the lengthy manual which is a bonus as much of it is not intuitive. Next step is to see if my one and only Nikon lens will work with it.

Edit: my lens does work - but is an AI-S lens, not an AI-P lens so a lot of camera functions do not work (P and S modes, matrix metering, reporting of aperture, are the most obvious but I expect to find more) and the lens is manual focus so none of the auto-focus options work either. But with those restrictions, the camera is working well and rather nice to use.

Last edited:
Having parted with my horseman LE monorail sometime ago which was a beautiful piece of kit but heavy like many monorails are(6kg), I came across a very light (albeit very much more expensive) alternative in the U.S.
These canham dlc cameras don’t come up very often second hand and although this cost it was still a darned sight less of a payout had I tried to buy the slightly revised mk2 version.
In excellent condition overall. Just some slight creasing to the bellows.
I await a lensboard adapter so as to mount the lenses which are on standard Linhoff boards to correspond with my other field 5x4 outfits weighing between 1kg and 3kg all of which have different attributes thus offer better functionality depending on subject matter.

View attachment 254958View attachment 254959

Oh dear, I knew he'd been living in France too long... he's bought an accordion! :eek:

In C (how) sharp?

Definetly in ‘C’anham lol
How sharp?, dunno as yet to play (with)it!

new toy!
I love the xa series and I do like a 28mm for a walk round lens so...………………………………………………………..
looking forward to playing, it will have to be very good to knock my xa of top spot,i do like being able to set the aperture on that one. now have xa, xa2, xa4 and a trip35 of cause!
IMG_20190926_144156.jpgIMG_20190926_144220.jpgIMG_20190926_144148.jpg

Last edited:
Back