Official Talk Leica thread

You don't need an M240, you can do video better on your phone.

How about medium format, a nice Hasselblad X1D ?

i considered that before I bought the SL, I figured it might not be practical enough for wedding/live music usage - which meant I'd consider getting a DSLR alongside it...

I feel the M10 will be something more practical than the X1D and I will be able to use it in all areas of my photography - maximising my use and joy of it :)

Much more detail by the SL. The M10 is not capable to give you even an idea of the bird in the upper right part of the picture (next to the ladder). Different white balance settings?

Much more detail by the SL. The M10 is not capable to give you even an idea of the bird in the upper right part of the picture (next to the ladder). Different white balance settings?

Both on auto-white balance, if I give them the same WB settings the M10 is much warmer.

In Lightroom I reccomend using the Adobe profile setting not the Leica one when importing. The Leica one is way too colour saturated and looks quite red/orange. The Adobe profile is much more natural.

Didn't seem to have the option, I will double check when I get home.

Is there something that it offers over alternative better spec mirrorless bodies? I see that the variable aperture kit lens is £1300 on top of the £1700 body which seems a bit eye watering!
I don't believe that there is a better alternative (That's why I bought it). We all know that Leica is expensive, but we also know that there lens quality is way ahead of anything else on the market.............kind of you pay for what you get.

I have only seen a few YouTube videos of the TL2 and they were enough for me to give up some hard earned money to buy into the system...............I'm hoping that the TL2 will be a nice second camera to accompany my Leica S007 system.

Neil

I don't believe that there is a better alternative (That's why I bought it). We all know that Leica is expensive, but we also know that there lens quality is way ahead of anything else on the market.............kind of you pay for what you get.

I have only seen a few YouTube videos of the TL2 and they were enough for me to give up some hard earned money to buy into the system...............I'm hoping that the TL2 will be a nice second camera to accompany my Leica S007 system.

Neil

Loose change after the S system.

24mp APSC with a 23/f2 would be really handy. About the same price as a Q, most of its functions, but more lens options.
They really are trying to make the most of the Maestro II processor - first in the Q, then the SL, then M10 and now TL2.
The no-no for me is the lack of a viewfinder, but you can stick the Visoflex (020) on it, I find that very handy on the M. They really should sell it with a Visoflex.

Images please.

24mp APSC with a 23/f2 would be really handy. About the same price as a Q, most of its functions, but more lens options.
They really are trying to make the most of the Maestro II processor - first in the Q, then the SL, then M10 and now TL2.
The no-no for me is the lack of a viewfinder, but you can stick the Visoflex (020) on it, I find that very handy on the M. They really should sell it with a Visoflex.

Images please.
I have a helicopter picking me up in sunny Nigeria tomorrow morning and I will arrive in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday night. Friday night you will have pictures :) :)

Neil

Images please.

Or you could get a Sony A6500 with the 24/1.8 Sonnar for £2k with a built in EVF, ibis, faster AF and better low light/video? Just an alternative option really.

Last edited:
Or you could get a Sony A6500 with the 24/1.8 Sonnar for £2k with a built in EVF, ibis, faster AF and better low light/video? Just an alternative option really.

That would be too easy, and have you compared lens size? Even my Leica M10 and 28/f5.6 fits in my trouser pocket.

I have a helicopter picking me up in sunny Nigeria tomorrow morning and I will arrive in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday night. Friday night you will have pictures :) :)

Neil

That's a very fast helicopter with a big fuel tank.
The only time I was offered a job in Nigeria I was promised an armed guard (of 6), so gratefully declined.

That would be too easy, and have you compared lens size? Even my Leica M10 and 28/f5.6 fits in my trouser pocket.
Steven. The tL2 with the 23mm TL lens will also fit into a pocket...........I think
If IQ is important then it has to be a Leica............if not then I guess sony and the likes will be okay :)

Neil

Steven. The tL2 with the 23mm TL lens will also fit into a pocket...........I think
If IQ is important then it has to be a Leica............if not then I guess sony and the likes will be okay :)

Neil

You are as ever barking :D but just in case you're blinded by that red dot I'll add that anyone who is deserves to be thoroughly rinsed.

Yes, the Leica body is slightly thinner because it doesn't fit in an EVF or a grip and the Zeiss lens is slightly longer. Having owned an A6000 for 2 years I agree that it wouldn't fit into my jeans pocket but it's also hard to take a picture while it's in there too :0)

I just think that if any other manufacturer released a crop mirrorless system with no built in evf, ibis, or fast AF it would be largely ignored because, realistically, there are better systems.

Last edited:

Then I'll explain, "rinsed" as in deprived of too much money for an inferior product or service.

I can see the appeal of some Leica kit and some is unique and really the only game in town if your wants, needs and requirements match what they are but it'd be a die hard Leica nut who wouldn't accept that some of their offerings are style/badge over substance.

I just think that if any nother manufacturer released a crop mirrorless system with no built in evf, ibis, or fast AF it would be largely ignored because, realistically, there are better systems.
That's my point Steve. If you are looking for the best IQ none of the stuff you mentioned matters. 1/. You done need a IVF for IQ 2/. You don't need image stabilization for the best IQ 3/. And you certainly don't need fast AF for IQ

Neil

That's my point Steve. If you are looking for the best IQ none of the stuff you mentioned matters. 1/. You done need a IVF for IQ 2/. You don't need image stabilization for the best IQ 3/. And you certainly don't need fast AF for IQ

Neil

I'm sorry Neil but that's ridiculous. I can sort of agree that you don't need an evf for better IQ directly but if you're looking at the rear screen in bright sunlight it's harder to frame. S

Stabilisation means you can handhold slower speeds which helps with low light IQ (even Leica motion blur isn't magical).

Slower or less accurate AF on an AF lens means you're going to miss focus.

It's your money and you can clearly do what you want but the TL2 isn't "the best there is" although it is the best at having a red dot.

Then I'll explain, "rinsed" as in deprived of too much money for an inferior product or service.

I can see the appeal of some Leica kit and some is unique and really the only game in town if your wants, needs and requirements match what they are but it'd be a die hard Leica nut who wouldn't accept that some of their offerings are style/badge over substance.
Alan you will always get Leica Haters and you will always get salt and vinegar on a fish supper.................. My wife has a Sony A7 something and she takes amazing pictures with it, she swears by it but constantly keeps asking why do the Leica pictures look so much better, why do they look like your there. I just say it has something to do with the way I take them so as to not have to splash out another 20 k on another Leica system :) :) :)

Neil

I'm sorry Neil but that's ridiculous. I can sort of agree that you don't need an evf for better IQ directly but if you're looking at the rear screen in bright sunlight it's harder to frame. S

Stabilisation means you can handhold slower speeds which helps with low light IQ (even Leica motion blur isn't magical).

It's your money and you can clearly do what you want but the TL2 isn't "the best there is" although it is the best at having a red dot.
Exactly

Steve I forgot to mention that I also have the EVF for the TL2 to use on sunny days or when trying to nail focus with the Noctilux and 90mm...........I believe that the frame rate of that EVF is the same as the Sony's

Neil

My favourite Leica didn't have a red dot or say Leica anywhere except on the baseplate label.

I use Leica because:
(1) I generally hate auto-focus. Using the 28/5.6 Summaron rarely need to focus at all.
(2) The M doesn't need image stabilisation - in the set-up below g0t razor sharp at 1/8th hand held - see second image
(3) Nothing beats an optical viewfinder with brightlines - except possibly the SL EVF.

That said, I have the Q, which has IS and AF, great images but not as much fun to use.

I cannot think of a Leica body or lens that is style over substance. That said, every time I take out my M7 it makes me smile. See post 1015.

The M10 with 28/5.6 fits in your pocket because the lens is only 18mm long (see post 1015 as well). The Sony 24/1.8 Sonnar is 83mm long. Even my Leica 90mm T-E is only 62mm long.

All the above is scratching the surface of what Rangefinders are about, and Leica specifically. There's no point really explaining. Leica users understand, most non-Leica users don't.

d.jpg

32174588083_1512925866_c.jpg

My favourite Leica didn't have a red dot or say Leica anywhere except on the baseplate label.

I use Leica because:
(1) I generally hate auto-focus. Using the 28/5.6 Summaron rarely need to focus at all.
(2) The M doesn't need image stabilisation - in the set-up below g0t razor sharp at 1/8th hand held - see second image
(3) Nothing beats an optical viewfinder with brightlines - except possibly the SL EVF.

That said, I have the Q, which has IS and AF, great images but not as much fun to use.

I cannot think of a Leica body or lens that is style over substance. That said, every time I take out my M7 it makes me smile. See post 1015.

The M10 with 28/5.6 fits in your pocket because the lens is only 18mm long (see post 1015 as well). The Sony 24/1.8 Sonnar is 83mm long. Even my Leica 90mm T-E is only 62mm long.

All the above is scratching the surface of what Rangefinders are about, and Leica specifically. There's no point really explaining. Leica users understand, most non-Leica users don't.

View attachment 110833

View attachment 110834

They're all great reasons Stephen. I shoot analogue for similar reasons but the conversation was about the TL2 which is none of those things.

Edit: It's condescending comments like this that really says more about the stereotypical Leica owner;

"There's no point really explaining. Leica users understand, most non-Leica users don't."

The conversation was about a digital mirrorless body that has similar styling to a 5 year old Sony Nex5, with no digital or optical viewfinder as standard, no image stabilisation and sluggish autofocus. As I said, if Sony sold the same camera for £2k today they would be laughed out of the market. As it's got a red dot, Leica people assume it must be the best of its class.

Last edited:
Back