Official Talk Leica thread

I do see the appeal of Leica especially in regard to manual kit and gorgeous wide aperture lenses but... the cost! But you only live once, life is for living etc.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment and some lovely pictures from your new kit Dan :D

I do see the appeal of Leica especially in regard to manual kit and gorgeous wide aperture lenses but... the cost! But you only live once, life is for living etc.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment and some lovely pictures from your new kit Dan :D

Thanks Alan, yup let's hope I don't get hit by a bus by the time the M10 gets delivered :D

Lucky for you the 50/1.4 at Richard Caplan was the one I turned down as I want a lighter black one, and am still waiting.

Meanwhile, I accidentally purchased this little beauty today. They are limited edition built to order, but Classic Camera got one for stock. I'd read about it in LFI and online, but once in your hands and seeing the DOF for the various apertures, and appreciating it is basically designed to be shot permanently on infinity (it has an infinity lock), it was potentially too much fun to let go. So basically its a street lens that can be shot from the hip without ever really having to focus, especially given the M10's ISO performance. It is an exact replica (save for the bayonet) of the classic 1950's design and is the complete opposite of what people expect from modern lenses. I can't wait to get out and about with it.

It is also absurdly small. It actually defies belief. It weighs 165g. The only technical difference I can see from a modern lens is a minimum focal distance of 1m compared to the normal 0.7m, but that's not really the point.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/M-Lenses/Summaron-M-28-mm-f-5.6

IMG_1769.JPG IMG_1772.JPG

Lucky for you the 50/1.4 at Richard Caplan was the one I turned down as I want a lighter black one, and am still waiting.

I got my silver one here, £1995 I think
http://www.jkcameras.co.uk/

Meanwhile, I accidentally purchased this little beauty today. They are limited edition built to order, but Classic Camera got one for stock. I'd read about it in LFI and online, but once in your hands and seeing the DOF for the various apertures, and appreciating it is basically designed to be shot permanently on infinity (it has an infinity lock), it was potentially too much fun to let go. So basically its a street lens that can be shot from the hip without ever really having to focus, especially given the M10's ISO performance. It is an exact replica (save for the bayonet) of the classic 1950's design and is the complete opposite of what people expect from modern lenses. I can't wait to get out and about with it.

It is also absurdly small. It actually defies belief. It weighs 165g. The only technical difference I can see from a modern lens is a minimum focal distance of 1m compared to the normal 0.7m, but that's not really the point.

Oh wow nice :) good zone focus street lens ! and silver too mmm.. how much did that go for?

I got my silver one here, £1995 I think
http://www.jkcameras.co.uk/

Oh wow nice :) good zone focus street lens ! and silver too mmm.. how much did that go for?

Well done getting something used. Over my Leica life its been about 50/50 new to used. I've never sold anything purchased new.

The Summaron cost me £1,995, so a small discount. It is silver-only: they didn't do black in the 50's. Andy at Classic Camera thinks this will be a collectible and I can understand why. The only person collecting it will be my elder son when I depart this world. The hood alone is a work of art, although a bit unnecessary as it won't flare and counter-intuitive to the size principle. It is also meant to vignette at f5.6 and f8, 2.5 and 1.8 stops respectively per the manual.

Leica say:

"With minimal contemporary design elements, the new version of the Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6 has been reduced to the essentials, but loses none of the character of its legendary ancestor. Its exceptionally short length of less than two centimetres makes it particularly unobtrusive and, together with the incomparable discretion of the Leica M camera, an ideal lens for street photography. The combination of a clearly laid-out depth of field scale and long focus throw allows extremely precise pre-focusing.

The combination of extreme depth of field, natural contrast rendition, excellent resolution of detail and visible vignetting create a unique visual signature, and lend pictures a special look reminiscent of the earlier days of analogue photography."

The DOF aperture marks are engraved on the flange of the bayonet so, if not using infinity, you can instantly see your DOF far more easily on a modern lens.

IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1776.JPG

Comparison with a 35 Cron. Can put the M / Summaron combo in my normal suit trouser pocket, presumably also chinos or similar. That must be a first for a full-frame digital with German optics.

IMG_1786.JPG IMG_1787.JPG

the 28mm elmarit feels so big now! well it would if I had it here and it wasn't in for repair.

I've never walked into a camera store to get a strap for my son and walked out with a £2k lens. The M7 was on the shelf when I randomly walked into LCE Strand and for under £1k had to be mine.

The Elmarit is chalk and cheese with this little chap.

On the subject of small lenses, the bad news is that my son tells me that I'm not getting my 90 Tele-Elmarit back. I bought it one owner from new for £300 and got it cleaned and coded. It produces beautiful soft old-school images. Have to look for another one perhaps.

I've never walked into a camera store to get a strap for my son and walked out with a £2k lens. The M7 was on the shelf when I randomly walked into LCE Strand and for under £1k had to be mine.

The Elmarit is chalk and cheese with this little chap.

On the subject of small lenses, the bad news is that my son tells me that I'm not getting my 90 Tele-Elmarit back. I bought it one owner from new for £300 and got it cleaned and coded. It produces beautiful soft old-school images. Have to look for another one perhaps.

On the small lenses subject, what's the consensus on the cheaper line of modern Summarit-M lenses such as the 75 f2.5? I think there are four in the range - 35, 50, 75 and 90, and they're quite a lot less expensive than the Summicron equivalents.

On the small lenses subject, what's the consensus on the cheaper line of modern Summarit-M lenses such as the 75 f2.5? I think there are four in the range - 35, 50, 75 and 90, and they're quite a lot less expensive than the Summicron equivalents.

You don't hear a lot about them. Don't know why. Leica isn't about saving a few quid, its about enjoying great optics. I'm sure that optically they are superb, although 75 is a strage one and not a preferred focal length. I have the Voigtlander 75/1.8 that is superb but heavy. You pay about 50% more from Summarit to Cron and then to Lux.

If I wanted to save money and get Summarit speed I'd get a Voightlander 35/2.5 Skopar
http://theclassiccamera.com/epages/BT0261.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT0261/Products/V-35B2.5

It's my son's main lens on a Bessa, cost me under £300 new in Bangkok.

I would also wonder how Summarit's hold their value. Cron and Lux are investments rather than depreciating assets.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/04/13/the-new-leica-summarit-lenses-35-50-75-and-90-2-4-part-1/

Last edited:

I have a 35 Summarit and I'm very happy with it. I've only briefly used the 35 Summicron so I don't have a basis for a comparison though.

You don't hear a lot about them. Don't know why. Leica isn't about saving a few quid, its about enjoying great optics. I'm sure that optically they are superb, although 75 is a strage one and not a preferred focal length. I have the Voigtlander 75/1.8 that is superb but heavy. You pay about 50% more from Summarit to Cron and then to Lux.

If I wanted to save money and get Summarit speed I'd get a Voightlander 35/2.5 Skopar
http://theclassiccamera.com/epages/BT0261.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT0261/Products/V-35B2.5

It's my son's main lens on a Bessa, cost me under £300 new in Bangkok.

I would also wonder how Summarit's hold their value. Cron and Lux are investments rather than depreciating assets.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/04/13/the-new-leica-summarit-lenses-35-50-75-and-90-2-4-part-1/
Thanks. You're right that you don't hear a lot about them which is a shame. Steve Huff certainly seems to like them from that review! I hadn't realised there were two sets of them in the last few years and it's the older f2.5 lenses I've seen cropping up secondhand that got my interest. I quite like the idea of the 75mm focal length so may have to give one a try.

Thanks. You're right that you don't hear a lot about them which is a shame. Steve Huff certainly seems to like them from that review! I hadn't realised there were two sets of them in the last few years and it's the older f2.5 lenses I've seen cropping up secondhand that got my interest. I quite like the idea of the 75mm focal length so may have to give one a try.

The new ones are aspherical so I understand.

The way I look at it, I'm early 50s and Leica have been making bayonet M lenses since well before I was born, there are so many M lenses in circulation there will always be new M bodies, my elder son is dead keen on M photography and will inherit those he doesn't take on permanent loan beforehand. ASPH and APO lenses will only increase in value. I started with some Zeiss, I still have the 21/2.8, now have mostly Leica and they will give me great pleasure as long as I live and breathe. They are worth far more than my rubbish little car. So why would I buy a Summarit?

The new ones are aspherical so I understand.

The way I look at it, I'm early 50s and Leica have been making bayonet M lenses since well before I was born, there are so many M lenses in circulation there will always be new M bodies, my elder son is dead keen on M photography and will inherit those he doesn't take on permanent loan beforehand.

Haha - exactly the same situation here! My son now has my M8 after I upgraded to an M240, and we "share" my (very) small set of lenses until he can save up to buy his own. No doubt he'll get mine after I'm gone!

ASPH and APO lenses will only increase in value. I started with some Zeiss, I still have the 21/2.8, now have mostly Leica and they will give me great pleasure as long as I live and breathe. They are worth far more than my rubbish little car. So why would I buy a Summarit?

Agreed except that I can't afford/justify the expense of the latest APO/ASPH lenses so have to make do with older secondhand lenses as and when I can afford them. I do have one ASPH (a 35 summicron) which I bought used about 18 years ago so it's not 6-bit coded but is my favourite lens.

Agreed except that I can't afford/justify the expense of the latest APO/ASPH lenses so have to make do with older secondhand lenses as and when I can afford them. I do have one ASPH (a 35 summicron) which I bought used about 18 years ago so it's not 6-bit coded but is my favourite lens.

The 35/f2 is my and many people's everyday and favourite lens. It hasn't changed in about 25 years, save for now having a metal hood. You can get it coded cheaply by Leica if needed. Cron and Lux bought used from reputable dealers in good condition will only increase in value.

I've been thinking about the 35mm today, but I have a Leica Q and can't see me getting rid of that - so 35mm is quite close to 28.

I used the SL with 24 1.4/50 1.4/90 2.0 leica-m lenses and my Leica Q for the last wedding

Usage was
Leica Q - 744 - most things that changed/moved/happened quickly
90 2.0 APO - 716 - couples shots + occasional candid stuff throughout the day
24mm 1.4 - 493 - when things were a bit more relaxed
50mm 1.4 - 755 - general throughout the day

So I have the 50mm 1.4 SL lens and 90-280mm, with the M10 on the way - thinking i might sell the 50mm 1.4 SL for a start.. might keep the SL alongside the M10 though, and the 90-280 can come in handy

But the 35mm... where do I fit that in :D

I've been thinking about the 35mm today, but I have a Leica Q and can't see me getting rid of that - so 35mm is quite close to 28.

I used the SL with 24 1.4/50 1.4/90 2.0 leica-m lenses and my Leica Q for the last wedding

Usage was
Leica Q - 744 - most things that changed/moved/happened quickly
90 2.0 APO - 716 - couples shots + occasional candid stuff throughout the day
24mm 1.4 - 493 - when things were a bit more relaxed
50mm 1.4 - 755 - general throughout the day

So I have the 50mm 1.4 SL lens and 90-280mm, with the M10 on the way - thinking i might sell the 50mm 1.4 SL for a start.. might keep the SL alongside the M10 though, and the 90-280 can come in handy

But the 35mm... where do I fit that in :D
You don't have to buy all the lenses you know! How about sticking with what you've just got for a while until you've had a chance to evaluate what works for you and where any possible gaps are (if any)...

The 35/f2 would I suspect be the most popular Leica lens on any Leica M, then the 50/f2. I have a Q but M10 + 35/f2 is my M walkabout lens. The 28 Summaron may take over for a while. The 28 Q and 28 Summaron are completely different in use.

The 35/f2 is much lighter than the 50/f1.4, moreso as you have brass one. Nothing against the 50/f1.4, I have a black one on order, and it's also top of the list.

I would wait for the M10, see if you can live without the SL system and, if so sell the whole lot. I would also strongly recommend the electronic viewfinder for the M10. It will speed you up with the 90mm. I would then definitely get the 35/f2 - my experience is that it is the perfect balance and general lens for for M6 to M10.

I went on the L forum and put up a few test shots from my first outing with the 28 Summaron
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topi...ounced-and-listed-merged/page-38#entry3345832
It doesn't make a lot of sense until you use it and then you fall in love with it.

thanks! Maybe I should trade my 28 2.8 in the for 35mm 2 - feeling that will probably be best for now..

thanks! Maybe I should trade my 28 2.8 in the for 35mm 2 - feeling that will probably be best for now..

The 28/2.8 is very popular for being the smallest modern Leica lens with great optics, if a little slow. As small size doesn't seem to be your requirement, the trade would probably be a good idea. I would have thought you could find a s/h one quickly.

The more i look at the 35mm f2, the more I want the 35mm 1.4 FLE.. and then the 28mm 1.4.. i'm hopeless.

ok just gonna use 24mm 1.4 for walkabout :) and see how i get on... I mean why shouldn't i, it's a great lens.

Last edited:
The more i look at the 35mm f2, the more I want the 35mm 1.4 FLE.. and then the 28mm 1.4.. i'm hopeless.

ok just gonna use 24mm 1.4 for walkabout :) and see how i get on... I mean why shouldn't i, it's a great lens.

Depends if you walk about a lot in the night. When someone like Ken Rockwell says the 35/1.4 is the best 35mm ever, it's all relative given the quality of their modern optics. The 35/1.4 is larger and heavier. KR says he could happily live with the 35/2 and I could as well. Was in Berlin last weekend and that's all I took.

24 is rather wide for walkabout I would have thought. I have the really superb Zeiss 21/2.8, great for architecture, but rarely used. It's probably as good as the Leica, faster and one third the price. Having recently bought the 15mm Voightlander at £550 new, that is simply stunning for the price, I wonder if I will use the 21mm.

While I'm at it, from that day, my best attempt at an action shot with an M. Using a 50/f2, set it at f/3.4 and 1/3000 and pre-focused to the target area using the white spots on the road. The rest was luck.

18810985224_1cf438721b_k.jpg

Last edited:
Was thinking about that 35mm FLE again, if I took Louise to a location to shoot portraits and get practice in .. 35mm might be ideal.. maybe 50 would be fine. - no no 50 is fine!

Too much theoretical photography whilst stuck in the house.. can drive you mad.

To sober me up, a series of shots taken with the 24mm 1.4 on the SL

24mm Wedding by dancook1982, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well I ordered a 35mm 1.4 FLE, it's due today - sold my 50 SL, and I'm going to sell or get a refund for the 28mm 2.8 emmarit.. then all will be right in the world.

Well I ordered a 35mm 1.4 FLE, it's due today - sold my 50 SL, and I'm going to sell or get a refund for the 28mm 2.8 emmarit.. then all will be right in the world.

Ya reckon..!!?

Back