Official Talk Leica thread

@justpix IMHO this M10 shot has quite an M9 vibe, in terms of the colour and contrast

Yes, very nice! An M10-R-S (stabilized) I would find most attractive ... --- (It could be done technically, I think. SONY managed this with the A7-C. Maybe, Leica could use
Panasonic IP.) ---

St.Nikolaus-Tag in Germany today - with corona restrictions ... (Leica M9 - Summarit 2,5/75 f 2,5 ; crop) :

L1023237_DxO-L70-25.jpg

L1023237_DxO-L75-25-c.jpg

Question:
Is using a macro lens, for m mount, better/gathers more light than the novoflex nikkor combo I'm using. Whenever I use this combo, the camera almost always wants to bunk up the ISO.
Would there be any decent macro lenses to look for? (longer term I mean - GAS)

ISO 50k...

Cats eye

Hi, ecniv, I only have 3 macros:

- Leitz (Leica) Macro-Elmarit R 2,8/60

-ZEISS Macro-Planar 2/50 ZF.2

-ZEISS Macro-Planar 2/100 ZF.2

But: I have never used them on my M9, because without live view they are not much fun to use. All work nicely on my SONY A7R2, though ... ---

Really enjoy using the M10-P & Summicron 50mm f2 for a spot of woodland photography. It's not perfect in use, there are a couple of niggles, such as bracketing and self timer use together but other than that, I could see me using it quite a lot more.

L1009369.jpg

Really enjoy using the M10-P & Summicron 50mm f2 for a spot of woodland photography. It's not perfect in use, there are a couple of niggles, such as bracketing and self timer use together but other than that, I could see me using it quite a lot more.

Just a wild hunch....

But I think in much the same way that Leica deleted the frameline preview lever in the 240 then decided that it missed it for subsequent cameras, I wouldn’t be shocked if future Ms returned to the on/single/continuous/self-timer switch as replacing this with a menu dive was (JMHO) very un-Leica like, and removes the self timed bracketing ability of the legacy models

TL:DR

No self timed bracketing? WTF? :cautious:

My facebook memory today was from the time I first got the M9 (3 years ago) and I took it too a spot I know near my mum's house in the UK and shot canal boats!

I ripped these straight from facebook so hopefully they'll all be small enough to post here!

24955451_10154873900807085_7122382550101008430_o.jpg

24958938_10154873900817085_9040932787327710547_o.jpg

25073071_10154873901192085_5222636398700252266_o.jpg

25073481_10154873901387085_5333783122655714630_o.jpg

25299899_10154873901157085_7604326854451791826_o.jpg

Nice.... 3 years eh? Don't think I've ever kept a camera that long :ROFLMAO:
I keep them a long time... usually.
Albight being stolen, usually anyway.
The D300 I think was around 10 years.
If it does the job and you like the photos, why change... GAS does afflict though.
I think this m10 I'll be staying with for a long time now.

Hi, ecniv, I only have 3 macros:

- Leitz (Leica) Macro-Elmarit R 2,8/60
-ZEISS Macro-Planar 2/50 ZF.2
-ZEISS Macro-Planar 2/100 ZF.2

But: I have never used them on my M9, because without live view they are not much fun to use. All work nicely on my SONY A7R2, though ... ---
The leitz 60mm... sounds interesting. I'll have a look at these online.

M10 + novoflex + 105mm macro nikkor

I'll have a look at other macros... Can I assume they are 1:1 macro ?

Other question then: I thought that the leitz 'r' versions cannot be used on the m mount (without getting an adapter).
The 60mm you have.. is that a screw mount (which is what I thought the r versions were) ?

Last edited:
Other question then: I thought that the leitz 'r' versions cannot be used on the m mount (without getting an adapter).
The 60mm you have.. is that a screw mount (which is what I thought the r versions were) ?

Hi, for the 60mm Leitz you need an R-to-M adapter.

A review here :

Reviews of my NIKON macros here :

I use my macros only for close-ups, or as high performance normal lenses ...

i have a strong feeling that if I flip the m9p I’ll come to regret it. It’s such a special camera (but fairly limited in terms of use when judged against modern cameras)

Still does a really good turn though in the right hands. If financial motives are taken out of the equation no need to flip I guess

I keep them a long time... usually.
Albight being stolen, usually anyway.
The D300 I think was around 10 years.
If it does the job and you like the photos, why change... GAS does afflict though.
I think this m10 I'll be staying with for a long time now.

10 years! I had a D300 for about 3 weeks - first serious upgrade when I got interested seriously in photography and hated it for some reason.

I still suffer from GAS but the M10-P isn’t going anywhere anytime soon for sure, there’s other cameras I own at far greater risk, especially as I have really bad Summicron 35mm f2 GAS. :ROFLMAO:

Still does a really good turn though in the right hands. If financial motives are taken out of the equation no need to flip I guess

I have really bad Summicron 35mm f2 GAS. :ROFLMAO:

I guess I’d have to flip it if I wanted an M10 any time soon... but equally if I wait a year or so, M10s will probably depreciate to a more affordable non-m9-flip price

The 240 would have to go then, but I suspect I bought that somewhere around rock bottom(ish)

I had 35 cron GAS.. in the end I got a CV35/1.7 and I couldn’t be much happier with it (or it’s price) - I haven’t used my 35 summarit once since getting the voigtlander

I guess it depends if you're happy with the kit you use rather than chasing the almost latest and greatest. :)

Personally I bought the M10-P as my 'forever' camera and even with the recent releases, I'm more than happy with mine. It's certainly a better camera than I ever likely to be photographer!

I'm fighting the cron Gas! The little Voigtlander 35mm Color Skopar I bought really does sing in terms of contrast and sharpness, for sure punches way above it's weight. A couple of people I've spoken to believe the little Voigt to be 99% of the Cron 35mm.

I also have the Summicron 40mm f2, which renders beautifully. Again, considering what they go for, it gives up very little to the Summicron 50mm I have.

Although the 35mm Cron GAS is strong, I am wondering if longer and wider maybe a better option to round out the lens needs to be honest.

worth getting r lenses? (is the adaptor a lot? for example: the novoflex one for the nikon was around 250euro)

Well, the Makro-Elmarit R is very good, even today. My Kipon adapter was so cheap, I don't remember its price.

(I have R lenses with 135, 180, 350, and 400mm, bought for playing around with. Modern AF lenses are more practical ... ---)

You have the novoflex adapter, so you could get a Nikon macro, unless you want to keep it in the family and go for the Makro-Elmarit R.

Of course, there is the 4/90 Elmar for M, which is expensive, if used only rarely ...

I read the news of that lens with more than a passing interest... looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Hi, it has been announced, deliveries in Q1 2021. The SONY version seems to be quite good, and the same I expect for the M mount.

I could use it on my Leicas, and the SONYs, with adapter. This will be my second APO lens, the first being my ZEISS Apo-Sonnar 2/135.

Unfortunately, it won't be available for Christmas, which means there won't be a present for me this year ... ---

Hi, it has been announced, deliveries in Q1 2021. The SONY version seems to be quite good, and the same I expect for the M mount.

I could use it on my Leicas, and the SONYs, with adapter. This will be my second APO lens, the first being my ZEISS Apo-Sonnar 2/135.

Yeah I read about it on Leica Rumours, apparently some differences between the E and M mount versions, but I think better to get the M version as it’ll be easier to use on both bodies

I have no APO lenses... well there’s a persistent rumour that the 50 lux ASPH is apochromatic, but also I’ve read that it is (kinda) but only via a design that converges the lightwaves, rather than through application of a specific apochromatic element.

(not that I really understand any of this stuff)

Unfortunately, it won't be available for Christmas, which means there won't be a present for me this year ... ---

:(

so no M10R then? :D

I guess it depends if you're happy with the kit you use rather than chasing the almost latest and greatest. :)

Personally I bought the M10-P as my 'forever' camera and even with the recent releases, I'm more than happy with mine. It's certainly a better camera than I ever likely to be photographer!

I'm fighting the cron Gas! The little Voigtlander 35mm Color Skopar I bought really does sing in terms of contrast and sharpness, for sure punches way above it's weight. A couple of people I've spoken to believe the little Voigt to be 99% of the Cron 35mm.

I also have the Summicron 40mm f2, which renders beautifully. Again, considering what they go for, it gives up very little to the Summicron 50mm I have.

Although the 35mm Cron GAS is strong, I am wondering if longer and wider maybe a better option to round out the lens needs to be honest.

I feel really attached to the M9. I wanted one for a long time (years) before it became a reality and I do enjoy the images from it.

The 240 I got because after 2 years of using the M9 I was 1 bitten by the rangefinder bug and 2 did need a camera that had a few modern concessions.

If the money was there, I’d have picked the M10, but it wasn’t and the more I looked at the 240 the more I realised it was capable of doing what I needed.

I don’t love, love, love it though. It’s a very underrated camera really.. Leica fanbois be all in a rage ’cos it has video (which you can disable) and because it’s <2mm thicker (than an M9) and because the raw files arrive to the computer looking more flat than m9 ones

But I’m pleased I bought it and it does the job I need from it.

Lens and cameras are a funny bag really...

I think we inadvertently end up in a mass hysteria situation. The M9 is a great camera, because everyone says so. The 240 is a bit lame because everyone says so. Leica glass is the best because everyone says so... and those things are true... (they must be everyone says so) but actual differences between various M cameras and lenses made by Leica or not by Leica are far smaller than their similarities.

anyways.

I originally went for an M with 35/50/90.

I hardly ever use the 90.

I also bought a 21

I like it. I've used it more than the 90.

Meanwhile I’ve had two 35s and three 50s...

note to self: only ever buy 35 and 50 mm lenses :D

... so no M10R then? :D

Hi, yesterday I thought about a Christmas surprise for me :

-FUJI GFX50R with 3,5/50 Fuji lens : 4500 €

-SONY A7R4 : 3999 €

-Leica M10-R : 7990 € - not available 1 - 3 month delivery, so, not a Christmas surprise ---

Why I left the money in my pocket: The Fuji would be a heavy metal one-trick pony, and I am not sure how often I would really use it, having no IS and how much
it would agree with me haptically.

The SONY A7R4 does not bring me sufficient added-value compared to my A7R2s. (A future 100MP model I would find hard to resist.)

The M10-R I find quite nice. However, I am not sure about the colours, and whether I would really experience dramatically better IQ compared to the M9.

But - this is only the rational side of me. Maybe, when I go to the Leica Centre in Wetzlar again next year, and an M10-R appears attractive to me,
I would simply buy it. The money is always there ... ---

Hi, yesterday I thought about a Christmas surprise for me :

-FUJI GFX50R with 3,5/50 Fuji lens : 4500 €

-SONY A7R4 : 3999 €

-Leica M10-R : 7990 € - not available 1 - 3 month delivery, so, not a Christmas surprise ---

Why I left the money in my pocket: The Fuji would be a heavy metal one-trick pony, and I am not sure how often I would really use it, having no IS and how much
it would agree with me haptically.

The SONY A7R4 does not bring me sufficient added-value compared to my A7R2s. (A future 100MP model I would find hard to resist.)

The M10-R I find quite nice. However, I am not sure about the colours, and whether I would really experience dramatically better IQ compared to the M9.

But - this is only the rational side of me. Maybe, when I go to the Leica Centre in Wetzlar again next year, and an M10-R appears attractive to me,
I would simply buy it. The money is always there ... ---

Did you think about the hasselblad camera? Pascal (from dear Susan) loves his, and the colours are quite M9 alike

Overall your problem doesn’t seem a terrible one to have!

Did you think about the hasselblad camera? Pascal (from dear Susan) loves his, and the colours are quite M9 alike

Overall your problem doesn’t seem a terrible one to have!

Hi, strangely, Hasselblad never interested me. The technology (shutter in the lens) did not look elegant to me.

At the Classic Gala Schwetzingen 2020 there was a gentleman using one, with monopod ... ---

Fuji I am interested in, because I have the GS 645 (I used as rarely as my ROLLEI 2.8 GX), but I see Fuji as a quality brand. But again, the GFX 50R is not on my shopping list.

Maybe, when they move from super-Kleinbild to real MF ...

At present, I am simply happy with my M9 twins, the silver and the black one. I like the haptics, the feeling of quality, the compactness ... ---

Hi, strangely, Hasselblad never interested me. The technology (shutter in the lens) did not look elegant to me.

At the Classic Gala Schwetzingen 2020 there was a gentleman using one, with monopod ... ---

Fuji I am interested in, because I have the GS 645 (I used as rarely as my ROLLEI 2.8 GX), but I see Fuji as a quality brand. But again, the GFX 50R is not on my shopping list.
That would be a Fuji with shutter in the lens? And the Rollei? Nothing wrong with that - large format lenses being another good example. :)

Hi, I just checked the Hasselblad prices. A "starter-kit" with 45mm lens is 7777,00 € :

But again, heavy metal, although at a reasonable price (from a Leica point of view) ...

I think if a second Leica body was on the cards I’d go for a Monochrom of some description. The M9M is appealing, but at present the funds aren’t there.

So my 50 Summicron rigid has gone to Ffordes for evaluation and potential swap and I'm in a bit of a quandry as to the replacement.

I have the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton on a Bessa R3M which is a lovely combination and with the 40mm framelines, works well as a tidy package. It's not small though. I also have a tiny 35mm Voigtlander Ultron f/2 which is a fab lens.

What I'm looking for though is a nice 50 to go on my M3 which is kinda built for the 50mm fov. My reasons for getting rid of the current lens is that damn locking pin at infinity. The amount of times I wanted to focus right at the point where it dropped into the lock was annoying, and I found it awkward to keep unlocking - esp in a hurry. I also found the lens quite "long" physically sticking out of the body. Focussing was also awkward (especially with gloves) compared to focussing with my Nokton which has a really nice focus throw and is easy to use.

My thoughts...

Voigtlander Nokton f/1.2 : I already have the 40mm version and the 50 reviews very well. It's a big chunk of glass though and I am not sure that I need a huge aperture. I wouldn't use this setup for low light portraits and if for some reason I was desperate, I'd probably just use the 40 and guess the framelines.

Summicron f/2 : I could replace the old version with a newer one. From the pics I've seen, the newer 'crons look shorter than my old Rigid version. Prices though are quite steep which makes me almost think, why not just save up a bit more and get a...

Summilux f/1.4 : I think this is regarded as one of the best lenses in the lineup however it's starting to get to the limit of "bigness" that I'd want to carry. My main use for the M3 + 50 setup would be street photography & documentary. I think the 'lux would be overkill for this.

Summarit f/2.5 : This is where my current thinking sits. It's cheaper, smaller and I honestly don't think I'd need anything wider than f/2.5 although with the weather we're having at the moment with lights on during the day, I'm not so sure. I'm comfortable shooting at 800 or 1600, and during the day I'm hoping this would be fine. I'm also thinking that getting a 'lux when I retire wouldn't be too much of an overlap.

Zeiss Sonnar f/1.5 : I've heard mixed reviews on this. On paper it's perfect. Small, fast and (relatively) cheap! I have no experience of Zeiss lenses so really don't know much about this. Mr Leica didn't keep his because he had to send 2 back before he got a decent one, but Jonathan Notley liked his. I'm very tempted simply because of the extra speed over something like the Summarit.

Others... I ordered a 7Artisans 50 when I first got my M3 and it didn't lock in place so it went straight back. It worked fine in my LeicaM - Fuji X adapter but not on my M3. No clue why but steering clear of that. I'm also not really interested in vintage, or the collapsible Elmar.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences of the lenses I mentioned?

Last edited:
So my 50 Summicron rigid has gone to Ffordes for evaluation and potential swap and I'm in a bit of a quandry as to the replacement.

I have the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 Nokton on a Bessa R3M which is a lovely combination and with the 40mm framelines, works well as a tidy package. It's not small though. I also have a tiny 35mm Voigtlander Ultron f/2 which is a fab lens.

What I'm looking for though is a nice 50 to go on my M3 which is kinda built for the 50mm fov. My reasons for getting rid of the current lens is that damn locking pin at infinity. The amount of times I wanted to focus right at the point where it dropped into the lock was annoying, and I found it awkward to keep unlocking - esp in a hurry. I also found the lens quite "long" physically sticking out of the body. Focussing was also awkward (especially with gloves) compared to focussing with my Nokton which has a really nice focus throw and is easy to use.

My thoughts...

Voigtlander Nokton f/1.2 : I already have the 40mm version and the 50 reviews very well. It's a big chunk of glass though and I am not sure that I need a huge aperture. I wouldn't use this setup for low light portraits and if for some reason I was desperate, I'd probably just use the 40 and guess the framelines.

1.Summicron f/2 : I could replace the old version with a newer one. From the pics I've seen, the newer 'crons look shorter than my old Rigid version. Prices though are quite steep which makes me almost think, why not just save up a bit more and get a...

Summilux f/1.4 : I think this is regarded as one of the best lenses in the lineup however it's starting to get to the limit of "bigness" that I'd want to carry. My main use for the M3 + 50 setup would be street photography & documentary. I think the 'lux would be overkill for this.

2.Summarit f/2.5 : This is where my current thinking sits. It's cheaper, smaller and I honestly don't think I'd need anything wider than f/2.5 although with the weather we're having at the moment with lights on during the day, I'm not so sure. I'm comfortable shooting at 800 or 1600, and during the day I'm hoping this would be fine. I'm also thinking that getting a 'lux when I retire wouldn't be too much of an overlap.

3.Zeiss Sonnar f/1.5 : I've heard mixed reviews on this. On paper it's perfect. Small, fast and (relatively) cheap! I have no experience of Zeiss lenses so really don't know much about this. Mr Leica didn't keep his because he had to send 2 back before he got a decent one, but Jonathan Notley liked his. I'm very tempted simply because of the extra speed over something like the Summarit.

Others... I ordered a 7Artisans 50 when I first got my M3 and it didn't lock in place so it went straight back. It worked fine in my LeicaM - Fuji X adapter but not on my M3. No clue why but steering clear of that. I'm also not really interested in vintage, or the collapsible Elmar.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences of the lenses I mentioned?

Hi, I have (and use) your candidates in bold. The other M mount 50 I have is the ZEISS Planar 2/50.

On the M9, the current Summicron can flare a little wide open, which the Summarit does not do. The Sonnar draws beautifully, is difficult to use wide open due to focus shift.

A Delphi-verdict would state that all of them are good, which is not too helpful for you, however ...

The handling of the Summicron (with the sliding hood) is most pleasant, the lens cap slides over the Summarit lens hood, only with the ZEISS lenses the lens cap is annoyingly
fiddly to insert inside the lens hood.

I have shown pics of all my M mount 50s in this thread.

My next 50 will be the VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar ... ---

P.S.: Recent pics ZEISS Planar 2/50 - Leica M9 here (posting #1271):

Last edited:
Thanks for that Immo.

The Zeiss Planar looks like a big lens (bigger than the summicron) which I wouldn't mind if I was getting sub f/2 apertures, but the 'cron would likely be the choice there. Your images look really nice though.

Back