Official Talk Leica thread

out of the two - which do you think you prefer more ?

Hi, it's too early to say, after just around 250 shots with the Lanthar.

Lens design is generally a compromise. The Lanthar is very contrasty, even wide open. But this may reduce the 3-D-pop effect.

Time will tell. I show Lanthar pics also here :

Last edited:
Hi, avoid Bockbier! It can cause green CAs ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50, f 2):

L1004516_DxO-v50-2.jpg

No problems with normal beer ... :

L1004515_DxO-v50-2.jpg

... or mineral water :

L1004513_DxO-v50-2.jpg

What to make of this? This can happen ... --- My wife would have said I told you so. Bockbier is not good for you. You asked for it ... ( :D )

got lockdown bored enough to go through all my old photos!

another of my first(ish) M9 shots back when all I had was the 50 'cron

I never tire of washing lines!

High and Dry by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Hi, flaring ... (Leica M9 - ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50, f 8):

L1004609_DxO-z50-8.jpg

L1004610_DxO-z50s-8.jpg

(I was quite surprised. I expected flaring with the Sonnar, my older lens, but not with the Lanthar. CV make VOIGTLÄNDER and ZEISS lenses, but there may be certain ingredients
such as coating, which are not shared. On the other hand, the more complex design of the Lanthar may be a reason.)

Hi, thinking drinkers or drinking thinkers in Mainz/D :) ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50, f 2)

L1004360_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

L1004361_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

The branches against the sky in #1 show green fringes, in #2 against the light wall less so. Shouldn't a Apo lens do better ???

Hi, no green CAs here ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50, f 2, crop) :

L1004380_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

(CAs are nothing to worry about. Even the Leica Apo-Summicron 50 is said to show them occasionally, as they say on LUFI ... )

Hi, old vs. new (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 - ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50 f 8)

LANTHAR :
L1004406_DxO-v50-8-c.jpg

Sonnar :
L1004600_DxO-z50s-8.jpg

L :
L1004406_DxO-v50-8-cc.jpg

S :
L1004600_DxO-z50s-8-c-max.jpg

L :
L1004406_DxO-v50-8-ctl.jpg

S :
L1004600_DxO-z50s-8-cl.jpg

L :
L1004406_DxO-v50-8-ctr.jpg

S :
L1004600_DxO-z50s-8-cr.jpg

(I did this comparison out of curiosity. No ceteris paribus, of course. But the old Sonnar looks quite good, I would say ... )

Borrowed a Voigtlander 75mm 1.8 Heliar from a mate for a few days. First impressions on the M10 are very good.

691CFF10-4162-4E0D-9801-36D5A4087BBF.jpeg

You're really enjoying that Voigtlander Immo...

With my M3 and R3M (and its Nokton 40mm f/1.2) all parcelled up and very close to going off for p/x for an M7, I'm reliant on the M6 now. Trying to decide whether I like the Sonnar f/1.5 and finding myself shooting it wide open just to see how pronounced that focus shift is. I reckon the "tilt" that Jonathan Notley goes on about on his video is bang on.

This, my go-to target for sharpness test. Focussed on the eye at f/1.5, and whilst the sharpness is "ok" there, it's a few cm in front of it that's really sharp.
I do like this lens though... It feels as though it's been "released" from my M3. I really am no good at guessing exposure and much prefer a meter so I can choose to expose how I want. I had a VCII meter for my M3, but it was impossible to use while the camera was at eye level.

M6 w/ CZ C Sonnar f/1.5 at f/1.5 on HP5+ at 800 in DD-X
2020-03-03-hp5at800-m6-03.jpg

2020-03-03-hp5at800-m6-03.jpg

Hi, which is which ??? (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 - ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50 f 8) :

L1004593_DxO-z50s-8.jpg

L1004404_DxO-v50-8.jpg

(An exchange in the LUFI made me curious, how my "old" Sonnar compares to the Lanthar. (Number one is by the Sonnar, two by the Lanthar.) Of course one can say
the Lanthar is cooler (there is ice on the pond ( :D )), but I would really find it difficult to say, which is better.

This only shows that at a certain quality level differences do not matter much in real life. The same goes for cars: a 400hp car will not take you twice as fast to your
destination as a 200hp car ...

Another thing I looked into is bokeh. So, stay tuned ... :))

This only shows that at a certain quality level differences do not matter much in real life. The same goes for cars: a 400hp car will not take you twice as fast to your
destination as a 200hp car ...
Yes but the 400bhp probably sounds nicer and has a quicker accelleration... ;) possibly more comfortable too.

I see your post processing in the #2 has a more pronounced halo effect on the trees... were the processed with the same settings or you needed to recover a bit more sky in the second? Do you find you are processing the photos differently?

BTW - your sensor might need a clean (mine did loads of dirt/dust on it - hated clicking dots everywhere at f8+)

Yes but the 400bhp probably sounds nicer and has a quicker accelleration... ;) possibly more comfortable too.

I see your post processing in the #2 has a more pronounced halo effect on the trees... were the processed with the same settings or you needed to recover a bit more sky in the second? Do you find you are processing the photos differently?

BTW - your sensor might need a clean (mine did loads of dirt/dust on it - hated clicking dots everywhere at f8+)

Hi, I checked. Both pics got the same treatment in DXO, enhancing contrast and microcontrast. After checking I processed the pics again, everything flat in DXO now:

Sonnar :

L1004593_DxO-z50s-8-2.jpg

Lanthar :

L1004404_DxO-v50-8-2.jpg

(Of course, the pics were taken on different days, with different lighting etc. ... These comparisons may be seen as an exercise in advanced esoterics ...

I am not trying to prove or disprove anything. At least I have found that the Lanthar is not a bad lens. And I do not have to throw my other 50s away ... --- )

Hi, the new Leica Apo-Summicron 2/35 :

I like the size
but not the price

and I do not like the flaring performance against the sun ... ---

Hi, new to me: MTF varies with distance :

Hi, I checked. Both pics got the same treatment in DXO, enhancing contrast and microcontrast. After checking I processed the pics again, everything flat in DXO now:
I am not trying to prove or disprove anything. At least I have found that the Lanthar is not a bad lens. And I do not have to throw my other 50s away ... --- )
heh I was just curious whether they did the same/similar on the halos.
And as if you'd throw away the other 50s... as you've previously said, there are lenses for particular occassions, different feeling in the resulting photos... and no one (affordable) lens for all ;)

I came so very, very close to buying the lanther last week... the only thing that stopped me was a little the price and also because in great scheme of things I think it might be a little to close to the look of my lux ASPH to really justify it.

I a little bit regret selling my 50 cron... I had to too pay for the lux and I don’t regret the lux...

but using lockdown boredom man-maths to full effect I decided I wanted a less modern 50 in my life..

I came very close to getting a hexanon... but one too many focus issue stories and a filer size I don’t have filters for soured the notion

So next week arrives a planar 50, it’s secondhand (described as mint and a full set), half the price of the lanther, less money than the hexanon and the seller is throwing in FOC a 43-46 step up ring, so that I can use my regular filters

I appreciate the planar isn’t a cron, but I suspect close enough for what I want and so, so much cheaper

This Leica-on-a-budget lark can be hard work sometimes!

I've borrowed a Leica M10M with 35mm (1st image)

Which 35 did you get? A 35 is the only hole in my lineup now that I have a 50 and 28. I have a tiny Voigtlander Ultron but after getting the 28mm Summicron I have a hankering for Leica glass.

Which 35 did you get? A 35 is the only hole in my lineup now that I have a 50 and 28. I have a tiny Voigtlander Ultron but after getting the 28mm Summicron I have a hankering for Leica glass.

it's the FLE,

I have owned the FLE in the past with an M10 (see images), I'm really struggling to decide what setup I want to live with - I really like the idea of a 28mm 1.4 summilux, but I also might want a 28 elmarit for street and then a 50mm 1.4 ASPH - so it might be a decision between 2 x 28 or 35 FLE + 28mm 2.8

Leica M10 + 35mm 1.4 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Leica M10 + 35mm 1.4 by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Back