Official Talk Leica thread

So today my last new camera arrived.

View attachment 313042

And my M6 goes off to Ffordes to compensate. So glad I did it. Much prefer the film advance & rewind knob. It's like having my M3 back again only now I have a lightmeter and 28mm framelines! The M7 is a great compliment to it with aperture priority for easier shooting. All I need to do now is take some decent pictures!

Very nice, an MP I’m assuming.

Aye, it is.
Lovely mate for sure. They are very tempting, I’m almost if the opinion it’s worth cashing in on the daft M6 prices and sell mine to pick one up.

When you’ve had a good play with it update me with how the experience is different from the M6. Very interested to hear your thoughts.

I’m almost if the opinion it’s worth cashing in on the daft M6 prices and sell mine to pick one up.

That's exactly what I did.

In terms of my thoughts... Well I loved my M3 but it was a double stroke (minor point), had no 28mm framelines (less minor point) and no meter (big point for someone who can't "sunny-16" it). I loved the rewind crank and the look that it gave to the camera. I also loved the film advance lever as a single piece of metal rather than the plasticky thing they put on the modern Ms. The MP took all the great things about the M3 and put them in an M6 shell.

I've spent 2 years looking at my M3 and wishing it had a meter, and a year looking at my M6 wishing it looked like an M3. As soon as I took my first photo with the MP I knew I was done with [buying more] Leicas.

In terms of useability, it feels much lighter than my M6. That slightly longer advance lever gives me a bit more security when carrying the camera with a thumb behind it for stability. The shutter speed wheel goes in the opposite direction which I think upset some die hard Leica fans, but for me, I tend to stick it on 1/60 in gloom, 1/125 in English overcast and 1/250 in the sun and leave it there, fine tuning with aperture. The M3 rewind crank I prefer. The amount of times I'd "drop" the tiny rewind lever and it would "spin" back when rewinding got on my nerves. The MP knob doesn't do that. For me who is cack handed, it's quicker to rewind a roll, but many say it's slower.

I have a black M7 so wanted a chrome MP. It's nice to lose the red dot - I was never a fan. Some people also moan about the screw in the centre of the top plate but it doesn't bother me at all. I like the lack of adornment and the "M6" logo and red dot are impossible to do much about on a silver camera. It's good people mistake it for an M3.

I've only put 2 rolls through it, shooting cats and things on windowsills, but I know this is the camera for me. I have a couple of EOS film bodies with AF up the wazoo for when I need it. But for walkabout photography with a 28 or 50mm lens, the MP is the answer to that. I don't need to have a good play, I know this is a fantastic tool and more than I will ever need. My issue is now (as it has always been!) about what I point it at.

Well I loved my M3 but it was a double stroke (minor point), had no 28mm framelines (less minor point) and no meter (big point for someone who can't "sunny-16" it).
I still think of the M3 as the quintesential Leica. I used mine at least 90% of the time with the 50mm Summicron and the rest of the time with the 90mm Elmar. I never got on with the Leicameter and eventually just left it at home.

Camera Leica M3 made with Canon Eos 650_11_07_014.jpg

I never got on with the Leicameter and eventually just left it at home.
I had the VCII meter for mine and didn't get on with it either. I wish I was good at knowing the exposures but I just wasn't,

In terms of my thoughts... Well I loved my M3 but it was a double stroke (minor point), had no 28mm framelines (less minor point) and no meter (big point for someone who can't "sunny-16" it). I loved the rewind crank and the look that it gave to the camera. I also loved the film advance lever as a single piece of metal rather than the plasticky thing they put on the modern Ms. The MP took all the great things about the M3 and put them in an M6 shell.

I've spent 2 years looking at my M3 and wishing it had a meter, and a year looking at my M6 wishing it looked like an M3. As soon as I took my first photo with the MP I knew I was done with [buying more] Leicas.

In terms of useability, it feels much lighter than my M6. That slightly longer advance lever gives me a bit more security when carrying the camera with a thumb behind it for stability. The shutter speed wheel goes in the opposite direction which I think upset some die hard Leica fans, but for me, I tend to stick it on 1/60 in gloom, 1/125 in English overcast and 1/250 in the sun and leave it there, fine tuning with aperture. The M3 rewind crank I prefer. The amount of times I'd "drop" the tiny rewind lever and it would "spin" back when rewinding got on my nerves. The MP knob doesn't do that. For me who is cack handed, it's quicker to rewind a roll, but many say it's slower.

I have a black M7 so wanted a chrome MP. It's nice to lose the red dot - I was never a fan. Some people also moan about the screw in the centre of the top plate but it doesn't bother me at all. I like the lack of adornment and the "M6" logo and red dot are impossible to do much about on a silver camera. It's good people mistake it for an M3.

I've only put 2 rolls through it, shooting cats and things on windowsills, but I know this is the camera for me. I have a couple of EOS film bodies with AF up the wazoo for when I need it. But for walkabout photography with a 28 or 50mm lens, the MP is the answer to that. I don't need to have a good play, I know this is a fantastic tool and more than I will ever need. My issue is now (as it has always been!) about what I point it at.

It's funny but those are much the same reasons that I eventually bit the bullet and bought an MP. I have still an M2 which I love but the MP is far more practical. Mine was used and not in pristine condition but I didn't care it had just had CLA so I was happy with the used look knowing the workings were up to par. Before the MP I had gone through M4-P and M6 but fortunately didn't lose any money in the trading.

Like you I now just need to be able to get out and shoot meaningfully.

Enjoy your MP, welcome to the club.

M2 & MP.jpg

The thing I really liked about the M3 was the finder. With the 50mm it was just about the best composition tool for 35mm I have used.

Leica Hyde Park Coach And Police Motorcycle.jpg
Canary Wharf Leica M3 Summit SP3 08.JPGLawyer in wig and gown on steps of Royal Courts London Leica M3 05.JPG

Thanks for your thoughts.... definitely not going to help my GAS, although I have to say I really love my M6.

I would find it a struggle to let it go, even for an MP. It’s one of the first batch of M6’s and is really very smooth.

I have thought about upgrading it to the MP viewfinder which I can get done for about £150 but feel it then changes it from the original spec! In truth I don’t find the viewfinder too bad, if it does flare all I seem to need to do is move the camera slightly or my eye in the frame.

I am shooting more and more film at present, I’m in a pretty happy place with it - maybe if I get through the next 12 months shooting as much as I am I look more in earnest at MP’s, unless of course one pops up at the right price in the meantime :)

Thanks for your thoughts.... definitely not going to help my GAS, although I have to say I really love my M6.

I would find it a struggle to let it go, even for an MP. It’s one of the first batch of M6’s and is really very smooth.

I have thought about upgrading it to the MP viewfinder which I can get done for about £150 but feel it then changes it from the original spec! In truth I don’t find the viewfinder too bad, if it does flare all I seem to need to do is move the camera slightly or my eye in the frame.

I am shooting more and more film at present, I’m in a pretty happy place with it - maybe if I get through the next 12 months shooting as much as I am I look more in earnest at MP’s, unless of course one pops up at the right price in the meantime :)

Horses for courses mate, nothing wrong with M6's just wasn't for me but most who have them love them. I swapped and changed until I got where I felt happiest you sound as if you are already there. Keep the GAS at bay, resist, never mind what the Borg say.....................

Horses for courses mate, nothing wrong with M6's just wasn't for me but most who have them love them. I swapped and changed until I got where I felt happiest you sound as if you are already there. Keep the GAS at bay, resist, never mind what the Borg say.....................
Definitely, there’s something about it that is very smooth. A mate of mine has an M6 TTL about 15 years younger than mine and it’s nowhere near as smooth.

I couldn't say that about my M6, but I could about my M3.

I had an M2 for a brief time a couple of years ago but I don’t recall being as nice in use as my M6.

Hi, which is taken with which ??? ... (Leica M9 - ZEISS Planar 2/50 - ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50):

L1004588_DxO-z50s-15-2.jpg

L1004399_DxO-v50-2-tp.jpg

L1003514_DxO-z50p-2-c.jpg

Last edited:
Leica m10 + 50mm f1.1 7Artisans + Lee Filter Super Stopper (I think - 15 stops)

I used to shoot through a made up lens stopper of welding glass, blutack and a ring to fit the lens (tokina 11-16 at the time).
I think this super stopper might have been a bit too much on the dark side... :/

Also picking up some weird light reflections, even though the lee filters threads etc seem to be fitting tight...

Do you happen to get dust on the sensor really quick?
I think its on the sensor... but I'll need to try different lenses out tomorrow to see... Loads of dust marks on the macro ... or sensor.. and on this 50mm too... (two pics which showed the same dust spot). I'm going to need to get more sensor cleaning sticks ...

Hi, my thanks to all participants in the 50s quiz ... :) You may share the prize, taken with (Leica M9 - LEITZ Summicron 2/35 f 2 ; crop) :

L1004800_DxO-L35c-2-c.jpg

(The solution:

#1 Sonnar
#2 Lanthar
#3 Planar

Again, this shows that lenses at a certain quality level are good, albeit with minor differences. Nothing to get excited about ...

There are often good reasons for buying new toys - and for not buying . :))

HAPPY EASTER! In Mainz-Ebersheim ... (M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Ultron 2/28 f 2,8 ; crop) :

L1004821_DxO-v28-8-c.jpg

Grateful parents erected this cross in 1953, when their son, who had been missed in action in WW2, came home ... --- :

L1004820_DxO-v28-4-c.jpg

Back