Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Yup, such UWA lenses barely need focusing, especially for long exposure where you were no doubt well stopped down. Everything from a few inches away to infinity should be in focus. That's why WA really works for MF lenses, but it's a hell of a lot trickier for tele

Thanks guys. I think I mostly left it at infinity in the end but this now makes more sense!

I thought about an A7II for a bit, it would be nice to have one on the side for low light and getting a different perspective using old MF lenses - something the A7/II is known to be pretty decent for. I'd never even consider going full on Sony though, the lenses are stupid prices bar the flimsy plastic cheaper ones that are no better than M43 variants.

I thought about an A7II for a bit, it would be nice to have one on the side for low light and getting a different perspective using old MF lenses - something the A7/II is known to be pretty decent for. I'd never even consider going full on Sony though, the lenses are stupid prices bar the flimsy plastic cheaper ones that are no better than M43 variants.

I see your point - I am only going for the cheap flimsy plastic lenses to avoid weight so Samyang 24mm etc.

There is just no equivalent to the brilliant 35-100 f4 or 40-150 R though :(

If image quality and the creative effect of DOF doesn't blow me away I'll be back to M43 - I still agree that price per pound (money and weight) they are the best for enthusiasts...

I see your point - I am only going for the cheap flimsy plastic lenses to avoid weight so Samyang 24mm etc.

There is just no equivalent to the brilliant 35-100 f4 or 40-150 R though :(

If image quality and the creative effect of DOF doesn't blow me away I'll be back to M43 - I still agree that price per pound (money and weight) they are the best for enthusiasts...

If I did get hold of an A7/II the Samyang is one I might go for, I hear it's pretty decent - better than their kit lenses at least, then I'd get some adapters and give it a good testing using vintage glass.

Sorry to but In
Iv just been loaned a a7r2 and 24-70 f4 by a mate who’s had it from new and only used it in auto

Gonna see how I feel about it against my Olympus kit

Thank you - its quite good fun to use. In all honesty, its not sharp wide open but by f2.8 its much better and f5.6 is great.

But who buys a F2 lens to shoot at F5.6 ? :D

I saw mention on dpreview of this USA based bird photographer who has adopted the MFT format...... especially as it is the EM1 MK2 ;)

Not read much yet but thought I would share :)

http://markwashburn.photography/shooting-birds-in-flight-with-the-olympus-em1-mark-ii/

True pros don't give a stuff about what gear heads say, they use what is best for their needs - I come across many stories and articles just like this and it makes me sly grin a bit, thinking of the FF obsessives on here that try hard to demand some air of superiority - none of them taking shots like this guy.

:eek:

True pros don't give a stuff about what gear heads say, they use what is best for their needs - I come across many stories and articles just like this and it makes me sly grin a bit, thinking of the FF obsessives on here that try hard to demand some air of superiority - none of them taking shots like this guy.
This is what I’ve found with the half dozen pros .when I was obsessed with gear they used to chuckle and make some disparaging remark ,then offer some advice on how to get a good shot with what I’d got,even that didn’t work :D

This is what I’ve found with the half dozen pros .when I was obsessed with gear they used to chuckle and make some disparaging remark ,then offer some advice on how to get a good shot with what I’d got,even that didn’t work :D

The gear is always just that for me, probably be happy enough if I still had my old D200 and 50mm 1.8, so long as I stopped looking about online - ignorance can indeed be bliss! If we don't know about all this trendy new gear we don't want it.

Having a walk around Greenwich Park on Saturday when the wife spotted Mr Fox deep in the bushes. We enticed him out with a few gentle calls and the rustle of some cat treats and peanuts. (Carry the cat treats just in case we come across a fox on our travels). He came out but was very on edge as it was busy at the park with sounds coming from every angle. Every time someone came by he would run back into the bushes. When they had gone he came back out to us. After spending 10 minutes with us we went on our way as did he. A few minutes later we was in a open wooded area feeding the Squirrels when he followed behind us. Put some more food down and he was back to eating. He didn't seem to mind us but anyone else walking past made him jump. This is the fox we've seen a few times and he does look a bit rough in places, but he looks so much better than he did in the hot summer. It was so nice to spend 20 minutes out our day with him. I like to think he remembers us, but it's more likely the free food on offer that makes him come close to us :)

45mm wide open.

Having a walk around Greenwich Park on Saturday when the wife spotted Mr Fox deep in the bushes. We enticed him out with a few gentle calls and the rustle of some cat treats and peanuts. (Carry the cat treats just in case we come across a fox on our travels). He came out but was very on edge as it was busy at the park with sounds coming from every angle. Every time someone came by he would run back into the bushes. When they had gone he came back out to us. After spending 10 minutes with us we went on our way as did he. A few minutes later we was in a open wooded area feeding the Squirrels when he followed behind us. Put some more food down and he was back to eating. He didn't seem to mind us but anyone else walking past made him jump. This is the fox we've seen a few times and he does look a bit rough in places, but he looks so much better than he did in the hot summer. It was so nice to spend 20 minutes out our day with him. I like to think he remembers us, but it's more likely the free food on offer that makes him come close to us :)

45mm wide open.

Beautiful animal

45mm wide open.

Is this shot with the 1.2 lens?

Fantastic capture :)

Friend of mine is in town and he brought his Olympus cable so I could update the firmware on my camera.

firmware.jpg

*ehem* just a few updates then...

Friend of mine is in town and he brought his Olympus cable so I could update the firmware on my camera.

firmware.jpg

*ehem* just a few updates then...

I guess the 12-40 update would only matter for use on Oly bodies? I'm using it on the G80, don't think I'd get any benefit unless there's hidden updates to the AF? They often throw in non-listed improvements. Though, there's nothing to complain about on the AF with this lens to begin with.

I checked the notes, most of the updates seemed to be geared toward video and IS Capabilities with video. Its the first time I've ever updated firmware tbh.

I never check my gear for updates :oops: :$

First thing I do when I get a new lens or body. Even updated the 45-150 I got recently, which adds dual IS ability - though tbh, I've not noticed any difference. I'd still prefer to have it up to date, my OCD would kick in otherwise :D

I checked the notes, most of the updates seemed to be geared toward video and IS Capabilities with video. Its the first time I've ever updated firmware tbh.

Sounds like only for Olympus bodies then. I believe it's not recommended to update Olympus lenses on Panasonic bodies either way, horror stories out there of people bricking their cameras

Last edited:
That fox pic has caused me to start looking at the 45mm 1.8 online. From HDEW its "only" £175. I'm also off to Vienna in a few weeks, it could make for great city candid portrait lens. Plus I am getting itching for some glass.

That fox pic has caused me to start looking at the 45mm 1.8 online. From HDEW its "only" £175. I'm also off to Vienna in a few weeks, it could make for great city candid portrait lens. Plus I am getting itching for some glass.
It’s a very good lens for the money.

Tbh it completely and utterly goes against any photography I do these days. But I just fancy a nice prime for the odd portrait.

First thing I do when I get a new lens or body. Even updated the 45-150 I got recently, which adds dual IS ability - though tbh, I've not noticed any difference. I'd still prefer to have it up to date, my OCD would kick in otherwise :D

Sounds like only for Olympus bodies then. I believe it's not recommended to update Olympus lenses on Panasonic bodies either way, horror stories out there of people bricking their cameras
Ah - I will check out the 40-150 update. Thanks

Only seeing options for ~£200 there. But thanks for the link anyway. :)

I'll mull it over for a couple of days.

Back