Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

It tak
Only seeing options for ~£200 there. But thanks for the link anyway. :)

I'll mull it over for a couple of days.

It takes 20% off when you get to checkout

Ah - I will check out the 40-150 update. Thanks

You may as well, only takes a minute. You'll know it worked when you see "Dual"just above the IBIS symol. It improves it a little, I didn't notice anything major, but then I haven't really tested it for stability much

You may as well, only takes a minute. You'll know it worked when you see "Dual"just above the IBIS symol. It improves it a little, I didn't notice anything major, but then I haven't really tested it for stability much
Do they provide a similar list to the one for the body upgrade?

Do they provide a similar list to the one for the body upgrade?

Wait, you're talking about the Olympus 40-150? I was talking about the Panasonic 45-150, sorry for the confusion. I just used that as an example, I have the 12-40 Olympus but don't think the FW updates count for Panasonic bodies, same vice-versa.

Tbh it completely and utterly goes against any photography I do these days. But I just fancy a nice prime for the odd portrait.
I’ve had two, but never found I used them much tbh. My Olly is primarily a travel system and as such the 12-40mm is attached 99% of the time. If I was an Olly only shooter I would definitely have the 45mm f1.8,.... unless of course I could afford the Panny Leica 42.5mm ;)

.... unless of course I could afford the Panny Leica 42.5mm ;)

The Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 along with my Olympus 40-150 F2.8 and 300mm F4 pro, is one of my 3 favourite lenses for micro four thirds, and one of the reasons why I will stay with the format for some years to come.

Before I got the Fuji X-H1, I tried out the Fuji X-T2 (last year) and built a small set of lenses around it, including the now legendary Fujifilm 56mm F1.2. Having had and used the Nikon 85mm F1.4, Fujifilm 56mm and the Nocticron 42.5mm I can honestly say it's every bit as good as it's peers. In fact for me it has advantages over the Nikon for sure in that on my D810 and D750 (FX bodies) shooting the 85mm @ F1.4 resulted in sometimes far too shallow DOF and certainly the lens wasn't at it's sharpest at F1.4. The Fuji and Nocticron pair however can be shot wide open with impunity as they are both tack sharp from the get go, and to be honest, I never really noticed a massive difference in DOF between the Fuji 56mm and the Nocticron anyway.

As such I don't feel the need to re-purchase the Fuji 56mm for the Fuji Set up.

Last edited:
Looking at the features for the last E-M5ii update it looks worth doing for focus stacking.

Improvements with firmware version 4.0 for OM-D E-M5 Mark II
Like all the models in the esteemed Olympus OM-D range, the OM-D E-M5 Mark II is built to excel in speed, precision, creativity and image quality. Improvements with the new firmware are:

• • Focus Stacking functionality added: Available with a total of 8 M.Zuiko lenses*
  • • Added new Bleach Bypass Art Filter: See above for details
Other updates are also promoted there
https://www.olympus.co.uk/company/en/news/press-releases/new-firmware-upgrades-2018.html

They often improve compatibility between Olympus bodies and Panasonic lenses.
There's a November 2018 update for my E-M10ii which helps with a Panasonic 50-200mm and 200m f2.8
I don't have either and I'm not sure I'll endure resetting all my customisation for the benefit YMMV
https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras_support/downloads/e_m10_mark_ii_downloads.html

I could do without the "fix a bug" descriptions they sometimes use though :)

I’ve had two, but never found I used them much tbh. My Olly is primarily a travel system and as such the 12-40mm is attached 99% of the time. If I was an Olly only shooter I would definitely have the 45mm f1.8,.... unless of course I could afford the Panny Leica 42.5mm ;)
Well now I need a new pair of pants, thanks for that.

NSFW warning next time please.

The PL 42.5 would be overkill for me, the standard Pany 42.5 f/1.7 is plenty enough for most I'd say.

The em5II gets focus stacking? welcome to 2 years ago lads from a G80 user :p

The PL 42.5 would be overkill for me, the standard Pany 42.5 f/1.7 is plenty enough for most I'd say.

Depends if you’re talking just in terms of DOF and/or sharpness or overall rendering. I love the rendering of the PL 42.5mm (y)

People just hadn't updated their firmware. ... just checked and it said Feb 2018 and yet I remember taking photos using it in 2016... it seems focus bracketing has been available since September 2015. I'm not quite sure of the difference but I'm sure I took about 30 shots using it and then stacked them on the computer. Maybe it can stack them in camera now.

People just hadn't updated their firmware. ... just checked and it said Feb 2018 and yet I remember taking photos using it in 2016... it seems focus bracketing has been available since September 2015. I'm not quite sure of the difference but I'm sure I took about 30 shots using it and then stacked them on the computer. Maybe it can stack them in camera now.

Bracketing is done on your PC, it'll give you multiple images that you need to stack in software, focus stacking is all done in cam - now I may well be wrong on this as they are feature I have barely ever touched. I've tried focus stacking on the G80 and it can be a little funky, with weird artifacts here and there that would need cleaning up in post. And that's even on a tripod.

Found a genuine Olympus ECG-2 for sale for good money. Let's see if it's still available.

Can anybody recommend a holster/toploader type bag that would be about the right size for a 14-150 and E-M5ii? I'd like something that I can attach to my rucksack waist strap when in the mountains so my camera can be easily accessed. Ideally waterproof or with a waterproof cover. I have a Kata bag for a DSLR that is perfect for this sort of thing but it's way, way too big for the Olympus.

Can anybody recommend a holster/toploader type bag that would be about the right size for a 14-150 and E-M5ii? I'd like something that I can attach to my rucksack waist strap when in the mountains so my camera can be easily accessed. Ideally waterproof or with a waterproof cover. I have a Kata bag for a DSLR that is perfect for this sort of thing but it's way, way too big for the Olympus.

I use a Lowepro Toploader 65 AW for my Lumix GH3 and Lumix 14-140mm lens, but my camera does have the battery grip fitted. This particular bag has both a shoulder strap and a waist strap but does not have a belt loop to fit into a rucksack belt. It's comfortable and has a waterproof cover. The bag is available in a number of different sizes, I also have the Toploader 70 AW which I use when my GH3 is fitted with an EF 24-70mm lens and adapter. Both bags came virtually unused from MPB and were cheap compared to brand new, they pop up every now and again on that site.

Edit, the rear mesh panel on my Toploaders does in fact allow a belt to pass underneath.

Last edited:
I use a Lowepro Toploader 65 AW for my Lumix GH3 and Lumix 14-140mm lens, but my camera does have the battery grip fitted. This particular bag has both a shoulder strap and a waist strap but does not have a belt loop to fit into a rucksack belt. It's comfortable and has a waterproof cover. The bag is available in a number of different sizes, I also have the Toploader 70 AW which I use when my GH3 is fitted with an EF 24-70mm lens and adapter. Both bags came virtually unused from MPB and were cheap compared to brand new, they pop up every now and again on that site.

Edit, the rear mesh panel on my Toploaders does in fact allow a belt to pass underneath.

Thanks Harvey. I’ll take a good look at those. Is there a lot of space with the grip fitted or is it reasonable snug?

Thanks Harvey. I’ll take a good look at those. Is there a lot of space with the grip fitted or is it reasonable snug?

It's a nice snug fit with the battery grip fitted. There is the facility to use a velcro insert inside the toploader to take up any slack if need be.

Bushy Parkrun; E-M1II + Olympus 45 f/1.2.

20181124_092235_106 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

Given poor light, rain, and me trying to use CAF at f/1.2, I thought the camera/lens combo worked pretty well:

Does anyone use the 25mm f/1.2?

I have a bit of GAS and am thinking about scratching that itch as we have twins on the way and it seems like a good excuse... (and pretty soon I won't be able to afford such mindless extravagance!)

Last edited:

I have a bit of GAS and am thinking about scratching that itch as we have twins on the way and it seems like a good excuse... (and pretty soon I won't be able to afford such mindless extravagance!)

No, but if I had the money to get it I would :)

Another one of the Fox that came up to us feeding.
Again, it was with the 45mm at 1.8

I know it's a bit central but I did ask it to move back a bit, face side on with the chin up a touch. It didn't listen to a word I said :D

I have the 17 f/1.2 and the 45 f/1.2 but not the 25 f/1.2. The 17mm f/1.2 and the 45mm f/1.2 are definitely a step up in terms of IQ compared to the respective f/1.8 versions (unfortunately also in terms of weight and price).

I have the 17 f/1.2 and the 45 f/1.2 but not the 25 f/1.2. The 17mm f/1.2 and the 45mm f/1.2 are definitely a step up in terms of IQ compared to the respective f/1.8 versions (unfortunately also in terms of weight and price).

I like the normal focal length, I think it gives a ‘comfortable’ easy to look at look, which will work well for the babies.

I already have the PL25 1.4 so really it would be a daft purchase but you know how GAS is and the PL suffers really bad purple splotches when used wide open...

The only thing that puts me off is the size as I like to use primes on the smaller EM5ii

These black friday deals bring out the worst GAS in me. I would love a 45mm 1.2 and a 25mm 1.2 My 17mm 1.8 is so sharp, it wouldn't seem worth upgrading. The 45mm would seem the most sensible within my current lenses. I would envisage using it at gigs mainly, but also some portraits... not that I do many of those... yet... Might be nice at my Christmas get together to get distant candid shots.

I'm not big on the 1.2 primes, you're going to end up stopping them down a lot of the time because the plane of focus is so stupidly thin. You may as well save a bunch and get some 1.8 primes

Last edited:
I have a 45mm 1.8, but I don't feel it's as sharp as my 17mm or 75mm. Both of those are really sharp.

I love that the 1.8s are so light and compact though.

I have a 45mm 1.8, but I don't feel it's as sharp as my 17mm or 75mm. Both of those are really sharp.

The 75 1.8 is a lens I have pondered on since I jumped into this system, looks a lovely lens but I'm not sure I'd use it enough. I think it's a crime that Olympus don't give the hood with it though.

The 75 1.8 is a lens I have pondered on since I jumped into this system, looks a lovely lens but I'm not sure I'd use it enough. I think it's a crime that Olympus don't give the hood with it though.
I wish they would ship all their lenses with hoods.
I bought mine second hand and love it's sharpness. It doesn't have the manual focus clutch which is a shame. Also when focusing it seems to take many turns of the barrel - perhaps this makes it easier to get it sharp, but I wished it took less turns. My only other gripe is that mine is silver and not black, but it was a good price.

I wish they would ship all their lenses with hoods.
I bought mine second hand and love it's sharpness. It doesn't have the manual focus clutch which is a shame. Also when focusing it seems to take many turns of the barrel - perhaps this makes it easier to get it sharp, but I wished it took less turns. My only other gripe is that mine is silver and not black, but it was a good price.

The only Oly lens I have atm is the 12-40, which thankfully does come with the hood. I will never understand why they don't include one with all of their lenses, the 75 especially. That was once a high end lens, seems to have come down in price a lot since the arrival of the 1.2 pro line.

I currently have the option of picking up one of the 1.2s right now and to purchase it would be a heart over head decision. Their size and weight go against what I want m43 for. Think I'll pick up the 45 1.8 and 75 instead for the same amount of money.

That's odd, both my 45mm and 75mm are super-duper sharp. I've never been overly impressed with the 17mm as it's not as sharp as the other lenses and has bad CA and low contrast wide open with oblique light.

That's odd, both my 45mm and 75mm are super-duper sharp. I've never been overly impressed with the 17mm as it's not as sharp as the other lenses and has bad CA and low contrast wide open with oblique light.
That is interesting. To be fair I've never specifically tested them against each other, and with all of them I'm often manually focusing as it's often in dark gig situations. I'll have to do some proper tests now.

I’ve had a couple of 45mm f1.8’s and wouldn’t say they’re super sharp wide open. Stopped down they are, but I buy fast lenses to shoot wide open. The sharpness wide open is probably reflected in the price imo.

Thinking about ditching my primes and getting a fast standard zoom , probably the Panasonic 12-35 to get the dual is facility

Thinking about ditching my primes and getting a fast standard zoom , probably the Panasonic 12-35 to get the dual is facility

I'm not completely sold on dual IS. I recently got the 45-150 kit lens and updated it's FW so it can make use of Dual IS [albeit the older version, not dual IS 2] - and tbh, not noticed any significant improvement. I did shoot the moon shot I posted in the Pany thread hand-held, 1/6th at 150mm which is decent, but I think I could have done that just with the IBIS alone. If you're talking the 12-35 mkII that does get Dual IS2, the mk1 just gets the older version. I went for the Oly 12-40 over it, from my research it is apparently sharper and has better build quality. It can focus closer and has much better magnification, it also has proper mechanical manual focus with hard stops, which can be really nice for better precision when shooting detailed close ups. It would also be really nice for video if you ever shoot that, even the AF is a lot better than the Panasonic for video, no annoying pulsing everytime something moves - it almost acts like a par-focal lens.

Back