Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I was going to sell my Olympus 60mm Macro lens but in frustration with my Olympus TG-6 when in difficult positions and without an eye-level viewfinder, I gave it a go after months of not using it and, awkward to focus as I still find it, I am happy with this result. Handheld Focus Bracketed RAW files and merged in Affinity Photo in post.

The 60mm lens reach is fine for sleepy minibeasts like this one but not for more alert ones. I'm hoping that Olympus will bring out a rumoured(?) longer reach and consequently more 'spook-proof' macro lens because I now like Focus Bracketing and cannot do it on my Canon 100mm + Kenko 1.4x + Metabones Adapter + M1X macro combo giving 280mm equivalent versus the Oly 120mm equivalent.

What distance from the front element are you looking for?

I have had two of the olympus 60mm macros and as good as they are I found them frustrating in use .. I now have the 7artisans 60mm f2.8 macro and although M/F I find it far easier to use with a better working distance to subject .. I dont in reality do much real macro but for just over a £100 its a far better alternative .. I believe they now have a mkii version out as well

I have to say you do get the Olympus kit to shine... fantastic shots all the time.

Can I just ask if you use a tripod or are these hand held?
Haven’t used a tripod or monopod since I changed to Olympus 2+ years ago ,so all handheld usually on walkabout . I do sometimes use the car as a hide but rarely lean my lens on the window .. .. Olympus i.b.I.s and lens I.s is phenomenal
Got to add I’m no spring chicken either now 75+ with a dodgy ticker
My tripod is now used for a scope

Last edited:
Haven’t used a tripod or monopod since I changed to Olympus 2+ years ago ,so all handheld usually on walkabout . I do sometimes use the car as a hide but rarely lean my lens on the window .. .. Olympus i.b.I.s and lens I.s is phenomenal
Got to add I’m no spring chicken either now 75+ with a dodgy ticker
My tripod is now used for a scope

Ah well I will be the spring chicken then being only 63 :)

The combination of IBIS and lens IS doses seem to work very well…. Food for thought

A new post at DPReview by Petr Bambousek about his recent Panama trip with primary use of the 150-400mm and the 8-25mm

@RedRobin one poster there 'Mikero' (who I know from a club association) says he now has his 150-400mm....... hopefully yours is due soon?

Guy's i am thinking of buying a micro 4/3rds set up having been with Fuji for years and i am deciding between the em5 mk2 and em1 mk2. I know they have different sensors but can you notice much difference in real world shooting. I normally shoot kids/pets so no landscape type stuff. Mainly on location or in studio. I had in my head a em1 mk2 plus 12-40 2.8 and 75mm 1.8. I am now wondering whether the extra 300 quid would be better spent on another lens and i should buy the em5 mk2 instead.

Help me decide.

Yeah go for the E-M1II a great piece of kit.
The E-M5II is very good but the CAF let's it down. Unfortunately the E-M5III which has hood AF has a smaller EVF and I am considering selling mine to get another E-M1II.

I used the E-M5III in London for few days recently and I managed fine but I want my second camera for macro when I have tele lens on the other so the reduced EVF size is annoying me. For landscape and travel I would be happy with a smaller camera for second camera.

Their prices are creeping up as it was £619 a few weeks ago and £599 earlier in the year. Maybe Brexit / duty related as it can’t be currency..

( not that I’m looking of course :exit:)

£659 now

Just spent an hour or so cleaning then gluing the front hand grip back to my E-M1 ii
Seems to have done the trick with contact adhesive, still possible to remove if access is need to the body.
Doesn't look perfect, but the rest of the camera isn't exactly pristine anyway.
Well out of warranty, even if it wasn't I wouldn't fancy the trials and tribulations of sending it to Portugal.

Got a brand new set of genuine grips and adhesive strips for the entire camera stashed away.
Might as well get what I can from the originals before using the new ones up.
I read that OMD will no longer supply spare parts to third party retailers..
New grips will be a costly job as a fixed price repair, might see what other bits could be handy to have.

I have had two of the olympus 60mm macros and as good as they are I found them frustrating in use .. I now have the 7artisans 60mm f2.8 macro and although M/F I find it far easier to use with a better working distance to subject .. I dont in reality do much real macro but for just over a £100 its a far better alternative .. I believe they now have a mkii version out as well

.... I have perservered only because the Olympus Macro is the only lens that will enable Focus Bracketing/Stacking and for close macro work I think it is essential to overcome the very limited depth of focus field whenever possible. I am beginning to get good results with it and this greatly helps me overcome my frustration.

I would still like more reach though - Whether photographing Sea Eagles with 9ft wingspan or Dragonflies, wildlife photographers ALWAYS want more reach!

I used the E-M5III in London for few days recently and I managed fine but I want my second camera for macro when I have tele lens on the other so the reduced EVF size is annoying me. For landscape and travel I would be happy with a smaller camera for second camera.

.... I learnt some time ago that when you want the significantly valuable advantage of having two camera bodies, it is important that the two bodies are identical. It is almost counter productive for them not to be, in my opinion.

conditions ,sea mist grey overcast all day , OMD1-MKiii +1.4 tc handheld . heavy crop of a distant marsh harrier
out of the blue by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
harrier hunting .jpg

A new post at DPReview by Petr Bambousek about his recent Panama trip with primary use of the 150-400mm and the 8-25mm

@RedRobin one poster there 'Mikero' (who I know from a club association) says he now has his 150-400mm....... hopefully yours is due soon?

.... Petr Bambousek's work is absolutely breathtakingly stunning whatever Olympus camera or lens he uses! It is a standard to aspire to.

Not a whisper of my pre-ordered Oly 150-400mm so far! I have almost given up and am even wondering if I will keep it when it eventually arrives < Why? Because even an Oly 100-400mm + MC14 on a M1X on a Gitzo carbon monopod is a bit of a weight when out in the field all day. Perhaps its physical balance will be better.

A monopod is a major advantage for holding focus onto the target when waiting for a wildlife subject to turn its head for example. It is also essential for Focus Bracketing macro shots.

ED 100-400mm + MC-14 + M1X handheld and at distance - More camera info on Flickr - Click the image.

Marsh Harrier on Somerset Levels.

MARSH HARRIER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Nice shots alby

That’s a stunner alby

Couple of re-edits taken with the E-m1 mk2 as I've not been out much lately, bloody hay fever is having quite an effect on my eyes at the moment.

Small Copper by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

....Lovely soft textures captured. I notice you shooting on the Oly 40-150mm + MC-14 on this - The MC-20 also offers excellent results on that lens and still maintains its 28-inch Minimum Focus Distance.

Last edited:
Hi. Does anybody have a bcn1 charger lurking in the back of a drawer? If you do, can I point you to my wanted thread?

I bought a charger on Amazon that charges batteries for the EM5ii and Pen F by USB - for travelling. I think it was made by Neewer or whatever it is. Works really well and only cost about £10 when I bought it - which was quite a few years ago.

I bought a charger on Amazon that charges batteries for the EM5ii and Pen F by USB - for travelling. I think it was made by Neewer or whatever it is. Works really well and only cost about £10 when I bought it - which was quite a few years ago.
Already linked a USB powered Duracell charger on his wanted thread.
I use the same make for my BLH-1 batteries, works well and as you say handy for travelling.

what can you get for for £50 these days , well you could search out one of these XIAOYI 42.5mm f1.8 prime lens with built in macro switch ,, very impressed with what i'm getting from this lens so far ... need to start using it more .. flower from the garden
flower by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Super set alby , sold my macro lens today get just as good results with the 100-400 no point leaving it gathering dust

Not got any ,but I will try the 1.4 when the light is good enough

Back