Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I believe the spin off of the camera division was predicated on retention of the Olympus name for the scientific etc divisions that were retained and thus the need for a new camera business name that had some connection with the past but was not olympus
That was my understanding too. In fact, I was (pleasantly) surprised to see the name "Olympus" on the new camera.

Last edited:
Many of you may have seen this already... sorry can see it has now!! Can't keep up!! :ROFLMAO:

One thing I thought might be of interest for those of you with bigger hands is that he preferred his EM1x ergonomics for when he was wearing gloves.

Although he was paid by Olympus to do this video, he does say he has used it for his paid work. Mind you, I think that snow looks suspiciously like it might have been deliberately smeared upon him :ROFLMAO:

For me personally, I really like the smaller form factor, and that you can add on a battery grip separately if you wish. I might be tempted to do that on odd occasions.

View: https://youtu.be/kRMOXV2TVek

Last edited:
I've just spent an hour revisiting my Olympus Catalogue
Bought back a lot of memories of last Summer and visits by my youngest Granddaughter .
Honestly I'd forgotten just how much I'd used it. Let it go Last September in order to satisfy GAS for another toy.
Waiting impatiently for OM-1, probably need to sell something in order to fund couple more lenses.

I have a lot of trust in what Olympus, now OM Systems, have to say about their products. Everything they said about the then new ED 150-400mm TC Pro I have found to be absolutely true after my 18 months of constant use.
wow have you had that lens 18 months already? Have you moved your 300mm on now or kept it? I do love how light and compact it is, but there's no doubt the zoom is much more flexible.

For those of you that are not a member of the E group there is going to be a Q and A session next week on the OM 1 hopefully all the questions regarding the launch of the new camera will be answered. Hope this is useful for those upgrading.Me I am deciding between buying the 150-400 or buying the OM -1 and keeping the EM1X as my second body and hold fire until either the EM1X mark 2 arrives or pick up a used OM 1 next year

I have always tended to put money into lenses over camera bodies as there is always the next model coming along

Last edited:
just had a wee bit of excitement hear . waiting in for a new car to be delivered today and a sparrow hawk took a starling right outside the front window . bit gory but thats nature
well pluck me by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

wow have you had that lens 18 months already? Have you moved your 300mm on now or kept it? I do love how light and compact it is, but there's no doubt the zoom is much more flexible.
.... Ooops! I meant to write 8 months. I ordered it December 2020 and it arrived July 2021. Yes, for my subjects I find a zoom much more practical, especially surfers.

I have been very lazy offering my 300mm F/4 Pro for sale but have now advertised it :

https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/forum/out-of-focus-area/for-sale-or-wanted-small-ads/857482-olympus-ed-300mm-f-4-pro-£1-300

^ ^ ^ Perhaps you have to be a member to see the post.

Last edited:
One thing I thought might be of interest for those of you with bigger hands is that he preferred his EM1x ergonomics for when he was wearing gloves.

For me personally, I really like the smaller form factor, and that you can add on a battery grip separately if you wish. I might be tempted to do that on odd occasions.
.... Yes I was concerned when I heard him report that the OM-1 buttons were tricky when wearing gloves but he did say heavy (thick) gloves and I don't wear heavy gloves on my E-M1X but some with a magnetic flip-open index finger and thumb. He also added that he would be happy to change his type of gloves.

Tesni Ward also mentioned it in the recent video streaming but said it wasn't a deal breaker and I know she works a lot in very heavy snow conditions and also shoots E-M1X which will now become her # 2 camera with the OM-1 as # 1.

I have also ordered the OM-1 HLD-10 Battery Grip but it will be a nice option to remove it occasionally, probably just for macro work. I have always had grips (also integrated) on all my cameras - I prefer the extra physical grip when using telephoto lenses (90% of my use).

Worth a look on image resource high iso image of a cat at iso 25600
Yep I downloaded it Very Impressive

Worth a look on image resource high iso image of a cat at iso 25600
I respect your imaging resource reviews :)

Will have a look later, thanks for the heads up :)

Last edited:
On a related note there is now a Beta of FRV

@Chris_911 Here you go! p.260 of the OM-1 Manual says you can connect the camera to a smartphone by Wireless/Bluetooth and then :

"Addition of GPS tags to camera images :
Using the smartphone’s GPS function, you can add position information when taking pictures with the camera."
Where did you find the manual? Is it available for download?

Where did you find the manual? Is it available for download?
.... OM Digital Solutions emailed me a PDF. But as Box Brownie has posted - I think you can download it on the OM Asia website. I'm assuming it's the same one dated 2022.2.

Seen a few YouTube videos now and most/all are very impressed with the speed/quality of the high res shots. Apart from the increased file size are there any issues with editing them. Don't do a lot of editing and was thinking of getting something simple like pixelmator pro but that does not support Olympus high res raw.
Assume Lightroom handles the high res raw ok, anything better?

I have previously posted about Olympus Workspace v2 has an optional extra to download......AI Noise Reduction.

This post/thread at DPReview says the NR is Topaz DeNoise!

If true..... interesting!

.... The software architecture of Topaz DeNoise is such that it can also work as a plug-in as well as a standalone app and so that's probably how it is integrated into OM Workspace. Personally I very much prefer the AI NoNoise in ON1 2022.

Last edited:
Seen a few YouTube videos now and most/all are very impressed with the speed/quality of the high res shots. Apart from the increased file size are there any issues with editing them. Don't do a lot of editing and was thinking of getting something simple like pixelmator pro but that does not support Olympus high res raw.
Assume Lightroom handles the high res raw ok, anything better?
.... So far OM Workspace is the favoured RAW converter for ORI hi-res image files. You can then Export as a TIF and edit in other software.

Last edited:
Reactions: nog
.... The software architecture of Topaz DeNoise is such that it can also work as a plug-in as well as a standalone app and so that's probably how it is integrated into OM Workspace. Personally I very much prefer the AI NoNoise in ON1 2022.
As I am very happy with DxO PL5 Prime and Deep Prime ;)

Earlier in this thread, someone expressed concern about one of the strap lugs being mounted on the top plate of the new OM-1. It's the same as on my E-M1X and although I never attach any straps to those body lugs I haven't heard of any issues with those positions on the E-M1X and so I think it's reasonable to assume that an issue doesn't exist.

Let's not forget that when Olympus announced it was getting out of cameras there were death knell's everywhere. I am pleased that didn't happen.

I personally am impressed with the work Olympus/OM have done to make this camera as well featured as they have.

I'm really happy with my EM1 MKII and still don't use all the features I would like to so it's going to be my go-to camera for another year or two. But from reading the posts here (and on the e-group) I can see it will be a nice upgrade for a lot of people and it's your impressions and images I am most interested in seeing.

Oh and I agree with RedRobin, the black fox does not need an OM-1 (y) :LOL:

Let's not forget that when Olympus announced it was getting out of cameras there were death knell's everywhere. I am pleased that didn't happen.
.... Yeah, the lemmings got a bit edgy and hyper in cyberspace but let's not forget it's called the 'hyperinterwebbynet'! :D
I personally am impressed with the work Olympus/OM have done to make this camera as well featured as they have.
.... Me too and I'm sure many others are as well although the proof of the pudding will be in the eating of course. This camera will have been in development for a lot longer than just a few months. Some new projects are in development for several years - The stellar ED 150-400mm TC Pro, for example.

Olympus Cameras, now OM System, have historically always (50 years) been innovators and it takes time to get it to the right standard for public release.
I'm really happy with my EM1 MKII and still don't use all the features I would like to so it's going to be my go-to camera for another year or two. But from reading the posts here (and on the e-group) I can see it will be a nice upgrade for a lot of people and it's your impressions and images I am most interested in seeing.
.... There are lots of reasons why photographers do and don't change their cameras and each one is totally valid imo. Also, let's not forget that there is no such thing as the perfect camera anyway and as my forum signature quotes "The camera takes the photo, but the photographer makes it" - Ansel Adams, 1902-1984.
Oh and I agree with RedRobin, the black fox does not need an OM-1 (y) :LOL:
.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: @the black fox certainly doesn't! Sorry to side with your wife, Jeff :LOL:. But I need an OM-1 in my life though :LOL:. I'm praying that my pre-order will arrive in time for my trip to Portugal next month because I'll be spending 13 days on beaches doing nothing but photography all day long. But I can't complain if it doesn't arrive in time - I am tooled up anyway.

This camera will have been basically developed by Olympus before the OM systems deal (as will have been the other Olympus products recently released). The key challenge for OM Systems is the development of the next generation of cameras. I hope that they do sell enough cameras to give them the funds (or access to funds) to develop the line further but the proof will be in the pudding.

There is a lot of competition at the 2K price point (and its a decreasing market). A few years ago M43 was being compared against APSC in its price point now its got FF (and the weight of players like Canon and Sony) to contend with (on promotion deals for the R6 and A7x put them firmly in the same price as the OM-1 and the Z6ii is already at that point.) This puts a lot of pressure on OM Systems and Panasonic/Fujifilm, as however they dress it up, FF is generally perceived by the photography layman to be 'better'.

Interesting times......

Last edited:
I saw this link on DPReview.

For anyone who knows of Petr Bambousek he is a great wildlife photographer. The above is his (pre-production?) review part 1, part 2 to follow soon.

Google translate leaves something to be desired.....but the gist is there including his caveats about some of the OM-1 functions that he considers would be improved via firmware updates. Bearing in mind his record of results with earlier Olympus bodies his decision to buy the OM-1 speaks volumes!

@RedRobin @Bebop

Last edited:
I saw this link on DPReview.

For anyone who knows of Petr Bambousek he is a great wildlife photographer. The above is his (pre-production?) review part 1, part 2 to follow soon.

Google translate leaves something to be desired.....but the gist is there including his caveats about some of the OM-1 functions that he considers would be improved via firmware updates. Bearing in mind his record of results with earlier Olympus bodies his decision to buy the OM-1 speaks volumes!

@RedRobin @Bebop
.... Thanks for the tag - Petr B is someone always to be taken notice of and he is one of the best wildlife photographers although I would also like to see his work on less exotic wildlife in less exotic locations.

I don't think this is a pre-production OM-1 but a first batch released early to only specific photographers. To meet a stated retail stock availability of 7th March, full production will have already have been done (I would hope!) and especially factoring in global shipping hurdles. Production processes and methods and also the market, are very different than for their flagship supertelephoto lens (which is still in very short supply!).

I think we can already reliably say that the OM-1 is a next generation E-M1 mkIII which has leapfrogged its technology ahead of the E-M1X. It is more of a M1X mkII than a M1 mkIV and it's the new sensor plus processor upgrades which propel it further ahead by opening up even more onboard performance. By simply understanding the indepth descriptions of what the new OM-1 offers, both by Petr and others, it becomes safe to order one and anyway, if you don't like it you can send it back. I notice he has been shooting with it mounted on the ED 150-400mm TC Pro and that bodes even better for me personally.

The OM-1 is a big step in the M-series evolution. I see an equivalent with the evolution and development of Porsche cars which began with the 911. Volkswagen taking over Porsche many years ago is like OM Digital Solutions taking over Olympus cameras. However, Porsche have retained their name badge.

Based on what is known to date, the only justification for a tech-savvy photographer holding back from buying the OM-1 (apart from cost) is if they are a professional who does large prints - They will want to wait and see how the OM-1 image files print. Others are just pixel peepers, but each to their own.

None of us need a new camera and the OM-1 isn't going to make a photographer be a better photographer but it might enable more potential and satisfaction. Just like a latest-state-of-the-art Porsche can do.

THE PHOTOGRAPHER MAKES THE PHOTOGRAPH by Robin Procter, on Flickr

[Yes I know I have mispelt Ansel's name]

Last edited:
I note some people are going to 'wait until the E-M1X MkII' arrives but I suspect it never will. The OM-1 has been described as the flagship camera for the current range.

I would have preferred the same body format as the E-M1X. To me the E-M1X is not a large camera - my Nikon Z9 is a large camera! Integrated grip & two batteries is better for me.
My only annoyance, and it's a purely personal thing and nothing to do with the OM-1, is that I bought a E-M1 III body last winter. I have a big project coming up in the US this summer and I absolutely need two bodies for it. At that point I hadn't even considered ordering the then rumoured camera.
It would be great to have the wherewithal to order a second OM-1 but that ain't gonna happen.

I have previously posted about Olympus Workspace v2 has an optional extra to download......AI Noise Reduction.

This post/thread at DPReview says the NR is Topaz DeNoise!

If true..... interesting!

Interesting (if true) but if you read the comments in the thread you'll see that it probably isn't true! :)

I note some people are going to 'wait until the E-M1X MkII' arrives but I suspect it never will. The OM-1 has been described as the flagship camera for the current range.
.... :agree: Any mkII version of the E-M1X would have to have significantly better spec and performance than the OM-1 when its battery grip is attached. Also it wouldn't fit in with the OM System branding which will build their future. Nah, it ain't gonna happen! Anyroadup, life's not a rehearsal so why wait?

One day there will of course be an OM-1 mkII but due to what the OM-1 promises I doubt if I will upgrade further. I'm nearly 75yo and running out of money fast!
I would have preferred the same body format as the E-M1X. To me the E-M1X is not a large camera - my Nikon Z9 is a large camera! Integrated grip & two batteries is better for me.
.... I feel exactly the same as you being an ex Canon 1DX-2 +500mm shooter except that I think that being able to attach a HLD-10 battery grip to the OM-1 which is also Pro-spec weatherproof, is an acceptable compromise. And once mounted you will forget it is attached - That's how it was with my Canon EOS-R and other DSLR bodies with separate grips.
My only annoyance, and it's a purely personal thing and nothing to do with the OM-1, is that I bought a E-M1 III body last winter. I have a big project coming up in the US this summer and I absolutely need two bodies for it. At that point I hadn't even considered ordering the then rumoured camera.
It would be great to have the wherewithal to order a second OM-1 but that ain't gonna happen.
.... Like you I enjoy the benefits of having two camera bodies and I have two E-M1X with matching customisation - The body is just a control module for a lens and it saves faffing around with changing lenses and potentially losing shot opportunities. But, due to carrying around my most used ED 150-400mm TC Pro, I now prefer to focus on particular subjects and not shoot any wildlife that I see regardless of its size! Plus that flagship supertelephoto zoom is incredibly versatile. I can't afford two OM-1 bodies anyway and will sell both my E-M1X bodies. I nearly always carry an Olympus TG-6 in my pocket anyway for quick landscape and portrait snaps.

As I understand it, the OM-1 is the most popular Oly camera yet, in terms of pre-orders, which makes me think I should have ordered one on Tuesday...

Anyone managed to download the new OM Workspace?

Anyone managed to download the new OM Workspace?

Yes, in fact been having a play with it in the past half hour.
Won't be keeping it especially as it it won't let me download the AI NR function because of an incompatible GPU

As I understand it, the OM-1 is the most popular Oly camera yet, in terms of pre-orders, which makes me think I should have ordered one on Tuesday...
Will be interesting to see how many are available/delivered early March. Not seen any figures on availability yet.

Yes, in fact been having a play with it in the past half hour.
Won't be keeping it especially as it it won't let me download the AI NR function because of an incompatible GPU
Ah okay, I can't get beyond the download button as my attempts just time out!

Back