Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Yes, I think it's the Apple M1 silicon thats blocking the application. I previously updated to version 3.5 with no issues and have the OM Updater but this is no longer used by OM Corp.

I just don't know how to force the apple M1 to accept Workspace update section of app, it accepts Workspace but not the updater. I reckon that it's an Olly thing as new Workspace app is issued by the new OM company.
I had the same problem on my M1 MacBook Air even though the latest Workspace says it’s compatible with M1 macs. I ended up digging out an old Windows laptop and doing the update through that instead which worked first time.

Apparently OMsystems updater does NOT like working with Apple products .. I have seen mention of a work round but not sure how it works .. just another thing they need to sort out and quickly to
I found a workaround which requires you to go into safe-mode and fiddle around with settings before you update .... messing with security settings is not my thing. OM Corp need to get their act together to provide a solution ASAP.

I had the same problem on my M1 MacBook Air even though the latest Workspace says it’s compatible with M1 macs. I ended up digging out an old Windows laptop and doing the update through that instead which worked first time.
I'm going to borrow a windows laptop and update this way ... it's a real pain in the A$% having to do this, but needs must.

A further question have folks with the new OMD1 been able to update to Firmware 1.1 from Workspace? (from an Apple M1 chipped device)

Last edited:
I found a workaround which requires you to go into safe-mode and fiddle around with settings before you update .... messing with security settings is not my thing. OM Corp need to get their act together to provide a solution ASAP.

I'm going to borrow a windows laptop and update this way ... it's a real pain in the A$% having to do this, but needs must.

A further question have folks with the new OMD1 been able to update to Firmware 1.1 from Workspace?
On my Windows 10 desktop, yes.

Who needs an Olympus 60mm Macro? - I don't! I have far more success on close-ups with not just one but all my other lenses.

This shot on my Oly 12-40mm F/2.8 PRO but equally successful on my Oly 8-15mm F/4 PRO.

SPECKLED BUSH CRICKET by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Heads-up for Oly macro shooters :

The dreaded Cla(i)res presenting the subject on YouTube this evening. I'm hoping they get on with it rather than small talk social which always sounds like contrived jolliness and takes valuable time out of the broadcast.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkKKMl-Mk24

Supply and demand always tricky to manage particularly at this present moment given global supply issues

.... The headline is misleading but what do you expect from a rumour site which is quite happy to publish anonymous stories < I guess that's what rumours are.

The rest of the story states that OMDS are suspending taking orders and will continue when they have created enough stock to meet the unexpected demand.

I could not be more happy that I had faith and took the plunge. I will have had mine a year at the end of July.

Hi Robin I take 43 rumours with a pinch of salt like you I am glad I was able to afford the "white" one let's hope those who placed orders are not kept waiting to long

PS how do you like the OM1 + grip now that you have it?

Supply and demand always tricky to manage particularly at this present moment given global supply issues

Funnily enough I was corresponding with OM today, and as an aside, I asked about the big white one - if I were to order, how long might I have to wait? I was told that there are still orders pending at the moment and those would be fulfilled first. He advised me to wait until they were available as 'pre-order/priority order' before placing an order.

Funnily enough I was corresponding with OM today, and as an aside, I asked about the big white one - if I were to order, how long might I have to wait? I was told that there are still orders pending at the moment and those would be fulfilled first. He advised me to wait until they were available as 'pre-order/priority order' before placing an order.

Do you mind me asking, Bebop, did you manage to speak to anyone at OMDS on the phone? RedRobin gave me a phone number for their customer services but I can't get through on it.

Do you mind me asking, Bebop, did you manage to speak to anyone at OMDS on the phone? RedRobin gave me a phone number for their customer services but I can't get through on it.
.... I sometimes use that number more than once a day and never with any problems getting through. Customer Services / Tech Support are the same team and based in Prague. If 00 800 doesn't work for your phone try 0800?

My 60mm macro gets delivered tomorrow, I hope.
.... In the unlikely event you get let down I can sell you mine < Obviously via the TP Classifieds and not in this thread.

.... I sometimes use that number more than once a day and never with any problems getting through. Customer Services / Tech Support are the same team and based in Prague. If 00 800 doesn't work for your phone try 0800?

BoxBrownie has pm'd me and explained that this is a freephone number which some mobile providers don't recognise. So maybe that was my problem. It just automatically disconnected. I've emailed them as well but a reply could take days!

Hi Robin I take 43 rumours with a pinch of salt like you I am glad I was able to afford the "white" one let's hope those who placed orders are not kept waiting to long

PS how do you like the OM1 + grip now that you have it?
.... I love it! The best battery grip I have ever used. Perfectly ergonomically sculpted with all the controls where they should be.

Makes handling better regardless of what lens is mounted but particularly the big white one. However, if the MC-20 is mounted as well the whole combo begins to feel heavy when handheld and so that's when I usually pop it onto my monopod which helps to steady it and stay on target at 2000mm anyway.

Do you have one too? What do you think of it?

Last edited:
Well, as some of you may know I've been getting worse and worse results from my EM1 mk2 / Panasonic 100-400 zoom combo. My keeper rate is terrible, and it seems to be getting worse, even on perched birds. After a couple of posts here i took the plunge and bought the Olympus 100-400 zoom, with the intention of selling the Panny. Result : Just about the same pile of mush.

So I emailed Olympus customer support with a summary of the problem. Their reply, just received - "May I please advise you to use the Image Stabilizer."

Well, derrrr........

Well, as some of you may know I've been getting worse and worse results from my EM1 mk2 / Panasonic 100-400 zoom combo. My keeper rate is terrible, and it seems to be getting worse, even on perched birds. After a couple of posts here i took the plunge and bought the Olympus 100-400 zoom, with the intention of selling the Panny. Result : Just about the same pile of mush.

So I emailed Olympus customer support with a summary of the problem. Their reply, just received - "May I please advise you to use the Image Stabilizer."

Well, derrrr........
Phew?
Sometimes the (not so) obvious can be overlooked without realising what is missing.

Pleased to hear you are back on the road, now you have to decide which of the two 100-400's to keep :)

PS as the advice solved it........perhaps phone (on the landline;) ) and let them know it worked :)

Phew?
Sometimes the (not so) obvious can be overlooked without realising what is missing.

Pleased to hear you are back on the road, now you have to decide which of the two 100-400's to keep :)

PS as the advice solved it........perhaps phone (on the landline;) ) and let them know it worked :)

No, that's what he suggested! As if I hadn't been using it for the last almost three years! :headbang:

I got through to the Customer Services number on my landline, so thanks for that suggestion yesterday.

I've emailed them as well but a reply could take days!

Well, derrrr........
.... Well, they replied to you pretty quickly and with what seems a very logical solution. Sometimes the solutions are very simple in cameras which have so many settings and some can be easy to unintentionally switch off / disable! I have done it with IS before.

At the very least, suggesting to use the Image Stabiliser is a good first step in the necessary process of elimination.
A much better response from a guy called Frank on the Customer Services number suggested by RedRobin and BoxBrownie. He sounds pretty confident it can be sorted one way or another.
.... They are 'UK Customer & Technical Support' and Frank is new there. OMDS spent time making sure they had the right people in that small department when they had a staff reshuffle - Their ethos has always been to do their very best to help you. Personally I have had nothing but excellent experiences with them since I moved to Olympus in 2019.

Always Think Positive when solving technical issues.

Last edited:
I think my point is that the Customer Services guy who suggested using IS must surely have thought I was a nincompoop. (Do they still exist?) I had the same problem with Canon before I switched to Olympus. They kept fobbing me off with the same basic advice, even though I had already tried it months previously. The camera turned out to be faulty and I got a new one FoC.

Anyway that's by and by. Frank asked me to send some files in and he was confident he could analyse the problem. So that's the next step. It helps that i have tried the body with two lenses and got the same problem.
Ah! sorry I misunderstood your "Well, derrr"

:coat:

easily done...... :)

In the main I agree with @RedRobin they are very helpful and mostly knowledgeable.

The reason I say mostly was before I knew of the phone number and my email Comms became quite fraught......but that is a whole other story.

But phoning they always present as happy to hear from the customer and doing their best to help.

.... I love it! The best battery grip I have ever used. Perfectly ergonomically sculpted with all the controls where they should be.

Makes handling better regardless of what lens is mounted but particularly the big white one. However, if the MC-20 is mounted as well the whole combo begins to feel heavy when handheld and so that's when I usually pop it onto my monopod which helps to steady it and stay on target at 2000mm anyway.

Do you have one too? What do you think of it?
Yes I have the grip with the OM1 I have been out a couple of times with 150-400mm bolted on and the combo feels OK each to there own but the EM1X feels more of a honed product as though its was carved from a single block of material in my hands having said that grip on the Om1 and the battery grip is another improvement on the EM1X

Hopefully out this weekend shooting the Red Arrows weather permitting so another test of the cameras ability

Well my 60mm macro just got delivered, shame they don't send a lens hood with it so will get one off Amazon.
The trouble trying for the Free lens is a laugh as 4 times they have asked for a copy of the receipt and 4 times I send it, now I am doing the cash back too so that will be fun.
The 60mm is probably my next purchase. I currently lack a true macro for things things like slide and neg copying, as well as macro.
....must surely have thought I was a nincompoop. (Do they still exist?)
They've all gone into politics now.

In regard to a macro lens.....

There are many still hoping & looking forward to the 100mm macro that has been on the lens 'roadmap' for some time.

It would be good to think it has not just become "vapourware" :thinking:

No it was via their contact page and then email. I was struggling to find the online manual for the OM1, which I did find before they answered actually - it was because I was on the mobile site and not the desktop one.
They responded very quickly though via email and when I asked this question they responded immediately. I must say I was impressed.

In regard to a macro lens.....

There are many still hoping & looking forward to the 100mm macro that has been on the lens 'roadmap' for some time.

It would be good to think it has not just become "vapourware" :thinking:
.... I heard very very recently that a new longer focal length OM Macro lens was still going to happen. BUT, no-one except the OM lens design teams in Tokyo know what's actually going to happen and/or when.

The 150-400mm PRO was on the horizon (well, just over the horizon) for several years before it became officially announced as a specific product. Have a look inside one of these lenses and how it coordinates with a camera body and it's easy to understand why they take time.

No it was via their contact page and then email. I was struggling to find the online manual for the OM1, which I did find before they answered actually - it was because I was on the mobile site and not the desktop one.
They responded very quickly though via email and when I asked this question they responded immediately. I must say I was impressed.

I downloaded the manual for my tablet for my OM-1 but so much prefer such documents in print and found a guy on eBay that prints and binds such documents. Cost me £9.99 for an A5 book. I believe the A4 version is about £12. Price includes postage. Does the job for me. It might be of interest to you......

Well my 60mm macro just got delivered, shame they don't send a lens hood with it so will get one off Amazon.
The trouble trying for the Free lens is a laugh as 4 times they have asked for a copy of the receipt and 4 times I send it, now I am doing the cash back too so that will be fun.
.... For Macro / Micro you definitely don't need a lenshood on a focal length as short as 60mm - It scares living targets and they quickly disappear.

I applied for Cashback on my new 8-25mm F/4 PRO (it's a beauty of a lens!) and the process is mighty tedious jumping through all the hoops and then it can take 15 days to receive!

First and critical step is to have registered your OM products and be able to supply a receipt. Then the bank detail fun starts with clearance of IBAN and Switch ID numbers etc.

Back