Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

must surely have thought I was a nincompoop. (Do they still exist?)
Sorry but that made me chuckle :LOL: You should try being female and having a techy conversation. We can all sometimes miss the obvious, but I frequently get taken for a nincompoop :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: Mind you... perhaps I am one!:exit:To be fair it's not usually camera companies.

@Fuji Dave I concur with @RedRobin - I don't use a lens hood on my 60mm.

I downloaded the manual for my tablet for my OM-1 but so much prefer such documents in print and found a guy on eBay that prints and binds such documents. Cost me £9.99 for an A5 book. I believe the A4 version is about £12. Price includes postage. Does the job for me. It might be of interest to you......
.... You might not want to hear this but the OM Support Team sent me a printed and bound full OM-1 Manual for free the next day. I didn't ask for one but the subject came up in a phone chat and I was offered it. That's an example of how helpful they are at OMDS (and at Apple in my experience since 1998).

Last edited:
.... You might not want to hear this but the OM Support Team sent me a printed and bound full OM-1 Manual for free the next day. I didn't ask for one but the subject came up in a phone chat and I was offered it.
Me too, when I had the mk2 I criticised in email comms the lack of a printed manual and they offered to send me one.

Fast forward, I have always gotten a free manual from them ;)

I think my point is that the Customer Services guy who suggested using IS must surely have thought I was a nincompoop. (Do they still exist?)
.... I wouldn't be surprised if 'nincompoop' is now a politically incorrect term! :D. The PC stuff is ridiculous.

.... You might not want to hear this but the OM Support Team sent me a printed and bound full OM-1 Manual for free the next day. I didn't ask for one but the subject came up in a phone chat and I was offered it. That's an example of how helpful they are at OMDS (and at Apple in my experience since 1998).

Nice to know for future reference.

Sorry but that made me chuckle :LOL: You should try being female and having a techy conversation. We can all sometimes miss the obvious, but I frequently get taken for a nincompoop :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: Mind you... perhaps I am one!:exit:To be fair it's not usually camera companies.
I do wonder about gender bias......

Some of the most important and 'within industry' scientists & mathematicians have been female.

Back in the day.....one of the tutors on my computing & data management course was the, female, lead programmer on the first ever business management computer LEO developed if I recall correctly in the 1950's.

Oh, and what about the group of black African American women without whom the Apollo space program would have been more protracted. These people only latterly have received the recognition they rightly deserve!

.... I wouldn't be surprised if 'nincompoop' is now a politically incorrect term! :D. The PC stuff is ridiculous.
Indeed. Macs all the way.

(seriously, it isn't ridiculous for many, and so should be called out - there are terms like those that we used in the playground that are just not right, and should not be used)

As far as I know nincompoop is fine.

(seriously, it isn't ridiculous for many, and so should be called out - there are terms like those that we used in the playground that are just not right, and should not be used)

As far as I know nincompoop is fine.
..... Phew! Thank goodness it's not on 'the list'. I guess you would know all the non-PC terms on the list but perhaps you should check it - It might be a very recent addition :D. Calling someone a nincompoop is calling them a simpleton. Perhaps I should have written "Some PC stuff is ridiculous" < My bad.

Anyroadup, this thread is not in Hot Topics and so enough said on such subjects and so we should continue talking about photography and specifically Olympus etc related.

I downloaded the manual for my tablet for my OM-1 but so much prefer such documents in print and found a guy on eBay that prints and binds such documents. Cost me £9.99 for an A5 book. I believe the A4 version is about £12. Price includes postage. Does the job for me. It might be of interest to you......

When I first got my EM1.2 I just contacted Olympus and they sent me a paper copy of the manual for free.

Anyroadup, this thread is not in Hot Topics and so enough said on such subjects and so we should continue talking about photography and specifically Olympus etc related.
Indeed. Good to see that noted, after the inappropriate second sentence in post 26,364.

Edited to add, I'm off to indulge in some photography with one of my trusty Olympii :p

Last edited:
Just a heads up.... re: free manuals from Olympus

I learned that it only applies to the E-M1 series and OM-1......when I got my TG-6 I asked for a manual for that (bearing in mind I had spent a lot with them to date), it was explained to me that they only give free manuals to those who buy the top end bodies....so not the 10 or 5 series ones.

Heads up???

I had an email from On1 about their Summer offer....ends 29th June

On1 Photo Raw 2022.5 is £50.71, way cheaper than the previously posted upgrade (On1 Photo 2018 that I own already) price of approx £89

:thinking: Food for thought at the Summer promo price compared to my earlier post about the upgrade price :thinking:

FWIW I have yet to find a single program is the Swiss Army Knife of PP software ~ IMO it more about have a range of tools at ones disposal to end up with the most pleasing final image (file) and based on others here at TP and external reviews ON1 seems to have matured to a better package than the 2018 version ???

Heads up???

I had an email from On1 about their Summer offer....ends 29th June

On1 Photo Raw 2022.5 is £50.71, way cheaper than the previously posted upgrade (On1 Photo 2018 that I own already) price of approx £89

:thinking: Food for thought at the Summer promo price compared to my earlier post about the upgrade price :thinking:

FWIW I have yet to find a single program is the Swiss Army Knife of PP software ~ IMO it more about have a range of tools at ones disposal to end up with the most pleasing final image (file) and based on others here at TP and external reviews ON1 seems to have matured to a better package than the 2018 version ???
.... I have been using the app since before it was called ON1 Photo RAW - It was just a collection of plug-ins. But it's only since the 2021 version that I think it has began to be a more serious contender. But image editor software is a bit like cameras in that there is no such thing as the single perfect one.

Every version is an improvement and if I wasn't already invested in Capture One I would probably now be only using ON1.

Another convert to the M43 world being following Simon for a while like his down to earth approach to wildlife photography not his best video but given his 1st outing he seems pleased with the move from Nikon

View: https://youtu.be/2PxZ3K6iNQo

Another convert to the M43 world being following Simon for a while like his down to earth approach to wildlife photography not his best video but given his 1st outing he seems pleased with the move from Nikon

.... Irrespective of which brand he shoots on, what a great guy!

Of course you and I Terry are already addicted to this lens and its superb well-thought-out design. Am looking forward to seeing more from him.

A scorpion fly of which there appears to be a lot about this year taken with my Laowa 50 f2.8 using my old fashioned E-M1ii and STF-8 flash

Scorpion fly by Alf Branch, on Flickr
.... One of my favourite flies.

I haven't really got into my Olympus STF-8 flash yet (I need to!) as I always prefer daylight in spite of its limitations. Did you use the OEM small diffusers on the STF-8 rather than anything DIY? Your lighting looks very natural.

Just gave this a watch. It was me who was trying to buy the lens before him in tricky circumstances (on my phone, poor signal, intransigent bank verification, all while disembarking from a ferry and rushing to see a Little Bittern).

There was a happy ending - the dealer had another come into stock two days later. This time I was at home, on my computer...

Just gave this a watch. It was me who was trying to buy the lens before him in tricky circumstances (on my phone, poor signal, intransigent bank verification, all while disembarking from a ferry and rushing to see a Little Bittern).

There was a happy ending - the dealer had another come into stock two days later. This time I was at home, on my computer...
Glad it went through this time I manged to buy from LCE a cancelled order it is a fine lens enjoy just feeling my way with the OM1 + 150-400

Another shot of Symonds Yat taken whilst on holiday with the 8-25.

Keep looking at the Panasonic 9mm and thinking of swapping the 8-25 for it and then remember how versatile the 8-25 is !

52174964845_a94c3f5fb7_h.jpg

Another shot of Symonds Yat taken whilst on holiday with the 8-25.

Keep looking at the Panasonic 9mm and thinking of swapping the 8-25 for it and then remember how versatile the 8-25 is !

52174964845_a94c3f5fb7_h.jpg

I thought that about the 8-18, but bought the 9mm anyway and glad I did.
Can see the zoom being sold off, but there again its paid for so who knows.
I think a lot of wide zooms are like that, my daughter rarely uses her Sony 16-35.

I thought that about the 8-18, but bought the 9mm anyway and glad I did.
Can see the zoom being sold off, but there again its paid for so who knows.
I think a lot of wide zooms are like that, my daughter rarely uses her Sony 16-35.
The other thing that puts me off is purple flare on Olympus bodies

The other thing that puts me off is purple flare on Olympus bodies
Its not an issue, that was one lens in particular the Panasonic 7-14.
Until recently I also owned an E-M1 ii and that was used with the 8-18 and also a Panasonic 12/1.4.
No hint of purple flare with either and pretty sure I would have noticed.

FWIW

I have installed On1 2022.5 and apart from an annoying glitch, it needs to be Admin Password opened each time (I have sent a support email to On1 about this), I did install it with admin rights, as I do all software [my normal 'desktop' is UAC account not the full admin one] and this is only the second ever application to behave this way. I have set the launch shortcut to be Admin authorised but that still needs the password to be entered each time. NB I feel sure there used be a way to make the admin step a 'sticky' to not need the password everytime :thinking:

I have only had a very quick look as follows

A nice familiar GUI akin to the likes of DxO PL5
It is quite quick to do its initial scan/ingestion of a folder with 582 image files (a test folder of OM-1 .orf raw files)
I looked at the basic tools including the NoNoise AI and though the test file (for the look) is ISO 200 in other words no noise of note. The resultant side by side preview was very quick and grabbed my attention.
Yes, it looked very 'crispy' because the default at 50(% ?) for detail is way too high IMHO but it obviously adds sharpening to the noise removal and there is a Luminance slider at 99% to reduce too. But my initial impression is that used with care even on low ISO files it has something to bring to the party.

Early days yet but one reviewer says of it's noise tool that it is a close second to DxO Deep Prime and based on what I have seen in this none too fair one off test I would tend to agree with that review comment :)

As I said in another earlier post ~ there is IMO no Swiss Army Knife of software but On1 looks like a nice tool box of useful additions ;)

I came across this video recently in which Olympus OM Systems weather sealing is fully explained along with the history of its development by their engineers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCdi0m1fe9U&t=124s

I particularly like their ethos which states that they aim to enable users of their cameras to be able to shoot in all conditions. I simply don't understand why none of the other camera manufacturers have followed suit.

Having spent a day shooting surfer friends on a sandy beach with an onshore wind, I am now about to rinse my OM-1 and 150-400mm TC PRO in a gentle shower in the bathroom - I have done this many times and it all comes up looking brand new. Have Faith and No Fear.

Last edited:
Some Olympus owners are very weird when anything Panasonic is mentioned.
This sounds a bit less biased

I have the lens and olympus bodies. The lens performs well. I've run my usual test on a new lens (photographed my ivy covered fence). This is quite challenging for the lens - lots of detail and backlit trees above.

I tried the lens on my Em1 3 and my GM5. The sharpness was fine on both cameras (slightly better on the EM1 tbh).

Fully open the centre was excellent with fall off towards the edges, a couple of stops down everything good.

As far as fringing was concerned nothing on the GM5 (to be expected), on the EM1 there was deep blue fringing on some leaves on the backlit trees against very bright sky in the extreme corners. This was worse at 1.7 and lessened as I stopped down. TBH you had to look very carefully for it and use 100 or 200 percent to see it. Of course one click in lightroom corrected it anyway .

I already love this lens. I expect it will get better when DXO have provide lens corrections in PL5

Back