Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Has anyone had any trouble using an sdxc card in the om-1? I got one at Xmas, formatted it in camera and used it on new years day and got a nice video of a whooper Swan. At home put it in my card reader but it wasn't recognised. Tried it in the camera plugged into the pc and still not recognised. Rebooted camera and then got a card error on the om-1 and its not worked since.
I've just got a replacement but wondered if anyone else has gone through similar issues

Has anyone had any trouble using an sdxc card in the om-1? I got one at Xmas, formatted it in camera and used it on new years day and got a nice video of a whooper Swan. At home put it in my card reader but it wasn't recognised. Tried it in the camera plugged into the pc and still not recognised. Rebooted camera and then got a card error on the om-1 and its not worked since.
I've just got a replacement but wondered if anyone else has gone through similar issues
I use the lexar 1667x sdxc 64gb cards in mine and not had any problems at all peat.

and another shortie shot ,cant believe how many keepers im getting with that M1X
bye bye blackbird by jeff cohen, on Flickr
Hi Jeff, interested to know why you went for the M1X over getting a grip for your M1 mkiii?
I lost all interest in photography a couple years back and at the same time spent most of my spare time with my grandson, hence my prolonged absence from the forum. Now he's started at school I'm getting my interest back in the hobby. I am way out of touch with cameras now but I'd have thought a gripped M1 mkiii would be able to do everything a M1X could do and possibly more, but in a smaller lighter package?
(Apologies if you've already answered this, I did look but couldn't find anything)
Thanks

Hi Jeff, interested to know why you went for the M1X over getting a grip for your M1 mkiii?
I lost all interest in photography a couple years back and at the same time spent most of my spare time with my grandson, hence my prolonged absence from the forum. Now he's started at school I'm getting my interest back in the hobby. I am way out of touch with cameras now but I'd have thought a gripped M1 mkiii would be able to do everything a M1X could do and possibly more, but in a smaller lighter package?
(Apologies if you've already answered this, I did look but couldn't find anything)
Thanks
Hi Chris , over xmas I had a long deep think about what I shoot and need , when I got the mkiii all the bells and whistles sounded great 18 months later and I honestly haven’t used any that I thought I needed . I just do wildlife ..
So I have ended up with 3 bodies a couple of bags full of lenses I’ve used once at most … a swift kick up the backside was needed . I’m still cautious about the OM1 as I keep seeing problems with them plus the price .. I then watched a couple of u tubes on bird I.d on the M1X and was hooked . It’s a bit heavier but better balanced with longer lenses . And the prices at the moment are stupid silly .. I am gradually going to be selling off my overstock of lenses and things . So my go to kit will be M1X ,100-400 , 50-200 , plus t.c’s not as yet decided on the macro lens . Keep or go ?

Only had a few days with the new body in appalling weather but it does what it says on the box and will do for now,. The mkiii is in classifieds and is a good deal for someone as it’s been looked after

Hi Chris , over xmas I had a long deep think about what I shoot and need , when I got the mkiii all the bells and whistles sounded great 18 months later and I honestly haven’t used any that I thought I needed . I just do wildlife ..
So I have ended up with 3 bodies a couple of bags full of lenses I’ve used once at most … a swift kick up the backside was needed . I’m still cautious about the OM1 as I keep seeing problems with them plus the price .. I then watched a couple of u tubes on bird I.d on the M1X and was hooked . It’s a bit heavier but better balanced with longer lenses . And the prices at the moment are stupid silly .. I am gradually going to be selling off my overstock of lenses and things . So my go to kit will be M1X ,100-400 , 50-200 , plus t.c’s not as yet decided on the macro lens . Keep or go ?

Only had a few days with the new body in appalling weather but it does what it says on the box and will do for now,. The mkiii is in classifieds and is a good deal for someone as it’s been looked after
Thanks for that Jeff and I get where you are coming from. I currently have a gripped M1 mkii and when I last used it in anger, it did most of what I wanted it to do. Now I'm getting the bug again I was maybe thinking of upgrading for no other reason than to have a new toy to play with. I had noticed that the M1X appears to be ridiculously cheap at the moment then also noticed you had changed too.
I think I'll make sure my interest grows before I do anything but the 1X is definitely on my radar.

If you can pick one up at the right price , make sure it’s been firmware updated to v.2.0: that’s got the bird I.d it’s a game changer i won’t say it’s perfect but definetly works better than anything I’ve used before ..
Recommend you watch some vids re the bird I.d update on u.tube

Last edited:
If you can pick one up at the right price , make sure it’s been firmware updated to v.2.0: that’s got the bird I.d it’s a game changer i won’t say it’s perfect but definetly works better than anything I’ve used before ..
Recommend you watch some vids re the bird I.d update on u.tube
I don't need one as I have the OM-1 but I have noticed the price of them and reckon they are a great buy for the price. ;)

Yesterday I saw a ringtail Hen Harrier. I didn't know what it was at the time and I was in the middle of photographing a great white egret against a dark background, but I knew it looked interesting. So I managed a few shots on completely the wrong settings with two stops of under exposure :headbang: On the plus side, I didn't blow the highlights. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, the reason I share this screenshot is that it shows what Photolab XDprime can do with shots at ISO 80 when vastly underexposed. I was impressed! This is a 300% view of a massive crop. Default HQ noise reduction on the left and deep prime XD on the right.

Taken on the OM1 with the 300mm and 1.4ext.

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 10.07.15small.jpg

I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC and I've had no problems with it on my OM1. I take the card out and put it into the slot in my laptop.

I once had problems with a Lexar SD card - the protector thing kept sliding across making it unusable. Lexar replaced it even though I'd had it beyond a year. Excellent customer service.

Anyone got an OM5 yet? I’m toying with swapping both my EM1iii and EM5iii for one. I do prefer using the 5 but the 1 has some useful features which I use and are on the OM5.

Does the hand held hi-res mode make much of a difference, got to admit I have not tried it yet
Actually I find it useful for showing the “milky water” effect without resorting to short shutter speeds. The actual hi-res does show an increase in IQ but for me that aspect is unimportant as the standard files are fine.

Reactions: nog
It looks more like a little egret to me, Steve.......... :)
Thanks Jerry, I thought it a bit big for a little egret, but never having seen one up close.....I'll defer to your greater knowledge :)

Last edited:
Yesterday I saw a ringtail Hen Harrier. I didn't know what it was at the time and I was in the middle of photographing a great white egret against a dark background, but I knew it looked interesting. So I managed a few shots on completely the wrong settings with two stops of under exposure :headbang: On the plus side, I didn't blow the highlights. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, the reason I share this screenshot is that it shows what Photolab XDprime can do with shots at ISO 80 when vastly underexposed. I was impressed! This is a 300% view of a massive crop. Default HQ noise reduction on the left and deep prime XD on the right.

Taken on the OM1 with the 300mm and 1.4ext.

View attachment 378256
That is an extremely good advert for upgrading to dxo pl6 ! Quite a difference

Hi all, I have been using an Olympus em5 mk3 for the last week in place of my em10 mk3 and it is great but I’m just wondering if I would gain much by getting the om1? I keep reading up on it and it really appeals but I’m undecided.
Many thanks

Thanks Jerry, I thought it a bit big for a little egret, but never having seen one up close.....I'll defer to your greater knowledge :)
GT whites have a yellow beak .
Rob.

the great white egret has a yellow beak and is taller than a heron there enormous Steve

Great white egret bills turn almost all black when breeding, lets not forget that... so don't be fooled at a large egret with a black bill. ;)
@jakeblu those robin shots are super Steve (y)

Last edited:
Beautiful shot Bebop, note the extending skin under the eye which is a good indicator of the Great White Egret at distant when breeding birds have black bills if you cant judge size.
Thank you. I didn't know about the skin under the eye - good point. One thing it mentioned in my app was the GWE neck tends to be held in more of an S shape, but I'm not sure if that was just when it is breeding and to be honest, it would be much easier if they stood side by side :ROFLMAO: This one was remarkably large and very easy to spot.

Has anyone managed to find a Quick Release L Bracket Arca Swiss tripod base plate for the OM-1 yet?

Has anyone managed to find a Quick Release L Bracket Arca Swiss tripod base plate for the OM-1 yet?

I think RRS make one but the last time I looked it was out of stock and if you look at the small print they had a very large minimum order for delivery to the UK. This is what i did - or rather someone kindly did for me - Post 27830 -

Since I got my OM1 I've really been missing being able to use a tripod. As far as I can see its not yet possible to get hold of a QR plate for the OM1 that fits across the whole of the camera's baseplate. (Come on, Chinese manufacturers.....get your act together!) RRS are in the processing of producing one, but in the meantime its possible to easily adapt an EM1mk2 plate to fit an OM1 by removing a small section of metal from it. I friend did this for me and he said it took him 10 minutes. This allows full access to the battery compartment.

I got the idea from someone on the internet and he had gone the whole hog by filing off the whole of the rim that surrounds the inner side of the EM1.2 plate, but I don't think that's strictly necessary.

Attachments​

• _B080002.jpg
    _B080002.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 13
  • _B080003.jpg

GT whites have a yellow beak .
Rob.

.....which goes black / darker when in breeding condition..........

I think RRS make one but the last time I looked it was out of stock and if you look at the small print they had a very large minimum order for delivery to the UK. This is what i did - or rather someone kindly did for me - Post 27830 -

Since I got my OM1 I've really been missing being able to use a tripod. As far as I can see its not yet possible to get hold of a QR plate for the OM1 that fits across the whole of the camera's baseplate. (Come on, Chinese manufacturers.....get your act together!) RRS are in the processing of producing one, but in the meantime its possible to easily adapt an EM1mk2 plate to fit an OM1 by removing a small section of metal from it. I friend did this for me and he said it took him 10 minutes. This allows full access to the battery compartment.

I got the idea from someone on the internet and he had gone the whole hog by filing off the whole of the rim that surrounds the inner side of the EM1.2 plate, but I don't think that's strictly necessary.

Attachments​

• _B080002.jpg
    _B080002.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 13
  • _B080003.jpg

.....which goes black / darker when in breeding condition..........
Ingenious Jeremy, shame l gave my old one away with the Mk III when l sold it. Is it a good fit with that section removed?

Last edited:
Beautiful shot Jeff how are you finding Topaz Denoise works on the Olympus files?
I think my photos speak for themselves really all the way up to 6400 iso ,just link on any shot to my flickrstream all exif data is there

ingenuous Jeremy, shame l gave my old one away with the Mk III when l sold it. Is it a good fit with that section removed?

I'd say yes. There's a couple of other examples on the internet by people who've done the same thing. Search for "Olympus OM1 L-plate" and you should find them. Although there's only one point of attachment - the tripod mount screw - I've not had a single moment when I feared that the camera would fall off the tripod. And the positives are just so obvious.

There's also this, but it seems a bit over the top.

https://smallrig.com/list/OM SYSTEM.html

I have used FastStone Image Viewer to download and sort files for many years with multiple types Canon files and ORF files from a EM1-mk111 however it does not seem to work with ORF files from a OM-1 - they appear as black boxes in the thumbnails. I have two questions:
1. Are ORF files from an OM1 different from ORF files from a the EM1-111? I assume so so why do they not have a different suffix?
2. Any recommendations for a simple, intuitive & cheap program for the above I would appreciate it!
I have contacted Faststone but have not received any response yet.

Thanks

John

Back