"One roll of film, what a test!"

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I spotted this in The Guardian this morning:

Brisbane photographer Renato Repetto passed a single analogue camera between some of Australia’s most prominent photographers and gave them just one roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 film to shoot on. The result – the 400TX Project – brings everything back to basics and focuses on the intimacy between photographer and subject. Armed with a 50-year-old Nikon F2 35mm SLR with a 55mm f/2.8 lens, the photographers felt a sense of stepping back in time. They were conservative with their single roll of 36-frame film, using manual focus and exposure. The images reveal the unique qualities of film photography and its place in the 21st century

Superb. I took part in something similar quite a few years ago. A single camera with a 36 exposure film in was passed round in the mail to a dozen of us. We got to take 3 frames each. Then we got to select our fravourite of our three for a 12 shot display.

I'm tempted to set up something similar after reading this :)

Superb. I took part in something similar quite a few years ago. A single camera with a 36 exposure film in was passed round in the mail to a dozen of us. We got to take 3 frames each. Then we got to select our fravourite of our three for a 12 shot display.

It's been done on here a few times too, I believe.

There was a "Travelling Lubitel" project (which was before my time on the forum) and then, a few years ago, there was the "Travelling Superzoom":

I'd happily participate in something similar if it came around again.

It's been done on here a few times too, I believe.

There was a "Travelling Lubitel" project (which was before my time on the forum) and then, a few years ago, there was the "Travelling Superzoom":

I'd happily participate in something similar if it came around again.

you forgot Helga the Homeless Holga...

Last edited:

In the past, IIRC the problem was either Royal Mail (a black hole in Devon?), or someone in the chain aho forgot about the camera for a long period, and/or vanished from the forum. Not to say we shouldn't try again. ISTR a traveling folder, don' think any of my 3 came out...

A travelling camera hasn't been done in a while. I think some got swapped over in person when there were meet ups (remember those?!) to avoid posting.

Others went missing in East Devon...

It’s been done a few times with varying degrees of success, as @ChrisR pointed out, there was a problem with a black hole in Devon or possibly a Devon Triangle But as Suz says it shouldn’t stop us having another go. Loretta the Nettar was the last one I think http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...ide-travelling-camera-challenge.442800/page-2
This one of the rolls from Loretta https://www.flickr.com/gp/raglansurf/4Vat7i1j39

Before that was The Homeless Holga http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...images-roll-5-in-journey-now-complete.341488/

and finally Monika the Konica http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...onika-the-konica-results.437418/#post-5058620 although I think all the shots got lost in a great forum spring clean some years ago. This is a link to the Konica challenge in my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/gp/raglansurf/w31681C42h

It would be great, but reading of past problems, there would need to be a set timescale (like having the camera for a max of 5 days), and maybe 10 people per 36 exp film, there are bound to be "mistakes".

I would also like to see a basic camera used, no electronics (if it has a selenium light meter, it should not alter the camera settings), minimum 3.5 - 16 lens, better 2.8 - 22, minimum shutter speed range B 25 50 100 250, OK if more.
Maximum cost £20! :)

Such a camera is quite capable of taking good photos, but a bigger factor might then be the skill/luck of the person holding it. And it is more fun to see what people can do with basic equipment.

There are plenty around like that, and I imagine many of us would probably have one that could be used, and a group decision on the choice would add to things.

If all shared the cost of film & processing-scanning, including postage, it would cost each person well under £10, nearer to £6-£7.

Well organised, with agreed suggestions and procedures, it would be very interesting :)

The one we used last time was an Olympus Superzoom compact. Electronic, fully auto, and I think it cost me £1 when I originally bought it, so the bigger loss was the film and people's time if it had gone missing. Everything worked out well though and we shot two rolls through it on it's journey with a mid-way film change.

All the details of how it worked are in the original thread I think:

I'm going to do one with my Trip 35 round my local U3A Photography group. I'm the only one who uses film or black and white so it's an attempt to drag some more into my world!

I'd be up for another travelling camera challenge and a basic folder seems like a good choice, easy to post and little to go wrong.

With 6x6 medium format you get 12 frames so what if everyone agreed to buy their own roll of the same film* and shot the roll before sending the camera on. That way we would have the photos even if the camera went missing or got delayed/lost. And with a cheap, basic folder (or holga for that matter) it wouldn't be too painful to carry on with a replacement camera. We could then post a contact sheet plus selected photos on here.

*or someone could buy bulk and distribute to participants at cost by putting it as for sale in the classifieds section on here

I've got a Voigtlander 12-20 that has not had any use in the past few years and cost me very little that I would be happy to donate to the cause.

Just realised I've typed Voigtlander......it's a Ross Ensign.....doh

I'm also happy to keep an eye out for the next working P&S that comes through the charity shop. I tend to get a discount if there's anything that takes my fancy so the cost would be minimal.

(Edit - just seen Andy's idea which IMO is better. Not had a 120 camera come through the shop yet.)

Back