Daily Origins' First Ever 365 (2013) Up to Day 160

More texture and colour - a great set. Agree a square crop would work well on this one.

fantastic shot and even better with the crop - great work Chris

yep the square crop works for me :) Good call

Chris the crop works wonders mate , an awesome shot bud !!

Some really nicely detailed macro shots & the square crop on the last is spot on.

fantastic shot and even better with the crop - great work Chris

Thank you all, for your comments, to be fair, the square crop wasn't my idea so I can't take credit for it. However, one last macro (ish) with the Raynox to finish the week and another square crop!

January 13, 2013-13_365
by UKOrigin, on Flickr

Another nice flower macro - don't like this as much as the others, but the detail is impressive.

Oh yeah that works nicely (y) the DoF considering how close you are is rather impressive (y)
Thanks, not sure how it managed to do it, but I have been playing lots with the 250.

Another nice flower macro - don't like this as much as the others, but the detail is impressive.
Thank you, I will probably end up taking a lot of pictures people don't actually like, but I think as long as I am learning something about my camera and what I am doing and producing with it then it is okay.

Nice work Chris , you are enjoying that Raynox
Thank you, yes, I am indeed, I am going to try and get a lot more with it, to just get more practice with it, seems to be giving pretty good results for £30 of kit :)

Anyway, onto todays offering. Quick home snap, not long home from work and not what I had been planning to do this week, hopefully I can start that tomorrow.

January 14, 2013-14_365
by UKOrigin, on Flickr

Nice close-up macro stuff having everyone guessing! I particularly like the two square crops.
Cropping is such a useful tool - I often take shots not bothering about things being in the way or distracting from the subject etc 'cos I already know that I'll be cropping 'em out later on.

Just come across your thread Chris, apologies for not seeing it before, and an excellent collection of shots so far. Love the little series of abstracts (y)

I get the impression I should know what this is, but I can't quite place it. Loving the series of puzzlers ;)

love the tone and the form in this, no idea what it is though :)

This exactly
Thank you both of you, I like the colour, I just added a torch behind it while letting it do what it is meant to do..

Nice close-up macro stuff having everyone guessing! I particularly like the two square crops.
Cropping is such a useful tool - I often take shots not bothering about things being in the way or distracting from the subject etc 'cos I already know that I'll be cropping 'em out later on.

I'm starting to learn about using the crop tool, especially since Matt taught me you can change the size of it! :bonk:

Just come across your thread Chris, apologies for not seeing it before, and an excellent collection of shots so far. Love the little series of abstracts (y)

Thank you for the compliment, I am really enjoying doing them and will most likely do a lot more, there is so much stuff around the house I can use after looking for a bit and realising what is around me!

I get the impression I should know what this is, but I can't quite place it. Loving the series of puzzlers ;)
Thank you too, as above I will most likely return to them but I need to get out of the house and take some pics! (Change of style today)

That's different, no idea what it is bit I do think that it works (y)
:) It's been nice keeping people guessing

Beautiful flowers!! Loving the crop too!!
Thank you to you too, there are lots of flowers in the house and garden so I imagine they will become some sort of "go to" when I am short on time and inspiration.

On to today, I've finally managed to get out of the house, mainly due to some friends cancelling quiz night!

A bit of night photography, I'm sure there are lots of improvements that I can make to this, it looks like it is not straight, but focus check horizon lines told me it was, so I think it may be the angle it was taken at.

January 15, 2013-15_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

love it :) love the colouring and of course the building is lovely (love old buildings)

Agree a bit earlier with light in the sky would be even better but at this time of year its dark so early. Architectural photography is something I'd like to learn about and maybe will try a few shots for my 365 at some point.

No idea what the blue thing is - fun trying to guess though!

Missed some of your shots, some great macros in there. And that last one is not bad at all. I would be tempted to get the middle verticals "vertical" (for lack of a better term!) in that shot rather that using the horizon. It's quite nice though, and I'd agree with the sentiments about the inky sky. This time of year you nearly need to be out shooting at 5:30 to get a decent sky (especially in London where I live!)

I rather like it, and agree with Conor about the verticals as it does look as though it's listing to one side a bit.

I'm also not too keen on the lights that are on the brick work.

love it :) love the colouring and of course the building is lovely (love old buildings)
Thank you, so do I, we have lots round here, so I will try and get some more soon.
I think that you've done very well :D the main improvement would IMO come from getting there earlier in the evening (y) maybe tone back the sodium lighting a little :D

Agree a bit earlier with light in the sky would be even better but at this time of year its dark so early. Architectural photography is something I'd like to learn about and maybe will try a few shots for my 365 at some point.

No idea what the blue thing is - fun trying to guess though!

It will either be at the weekend or wait until later in the year, unfortunately it is pitch black by the time I get home :(
(Ps. The blue thing is one of those sand and water sculpture things in frame that you flip)

Missed some of your shots, some great macros in there. And that last one is not bad at all. I would be tempted to get the middle verticals "vertical" (for lack of a better term!) in that shot rather that using the horizon. It's quite nice though, and I'd agree with the sentiments about the inky sky. This time of year you nearly need to be out shooting at 5:30 to get a decent sky (especially in London where I live!)

Thanks for the comments, I will give it a "straighten" and as above try and bet back down at the weekend I think to allow me to get the fadiing light rather than pitch black.
I rather like it, and agree with Conor about the verticals as it does look as though it's listing to one side a bit.

I'm also not too keen on the lights that are on the brick work.

Thanks for the comments, I will give it a "straighten" and as above try and bet back down at the weekend I think to allow me to get the fadiing light rather than pitch black.
Unfortunately I can't do much about the lights on this one, I believe they are on all night :(

Today, I am back indoors feeling under the weather as I appear to be coming down with a bad case of manflu! So this is just a quick one to get my picture done. Hopefully feeling better tomorrow so I can go out and do some pictures.

I realised as I was processing that the glass could do with a clean, but I am off to bed with a lemsip and my kindle, will probably try and do a reshoot sometime of it if I can think of (or have some suggested) improvements.

January 16, 2013-16_365
by UKOrigin, on Flickr

I realised as I was processing that the glass could do with a clean, but I am off to bed with a lemsip and my kindle, will probably try and do a reshoot sometime of it if I can think of (or have some suggested) improvements.
It's frustrating when you realise in processing that there was something you could have changed - but you're too tired/not able to reshoot - happened to me a few times already in the past two weeks. Hope you feel better soon.

Hello everyone sorry for the long absence and lack of updates, it's been a bit manic for me recently, but I have still been getting my picture done each day! So into month 2 now, this feels an achievement in itself!
Days 17 - onwards added below
This was the start of the really bad cold and pretty much all I could think of that didn't take too much effort!

January 17, 2013-17_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

Another indoor macro since I was still a bit under the weather.

January 18, 2013-18_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

My one and only snow picture on my first day out of the house.

January 19, 2013-19_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

January 20 2013-20_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

January 21, 2013-21_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr
Quiz night in the pub, so a quick grab with the compact in there.

January 22, 2013-22_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

Last edited:
fantastic shots in your catch up Chris - Great work :clap:

A wonderful catch up with some stunning images I think that some stand outs for me are the snow scape's the pencils and indoor macro on the 18th that looks so cool it looks like some alien structures :LOL:

Sorry guys, been busy again and been flitting in and out of the forums briefly.
Thanks for the kind comments, I really do appreciate them :)
Another bulk upload while I have some time on my lunchbreak at work.

"I wish it could be Christmas everyday.."

February 2 2013-33_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

There must be an angel...

February 3 2013-34_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

Into the light

February 4 2013-35_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

A galaxy far, far away

February 5 2013-36_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

Self portrait

February 6 2013-37_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

The other side of Winchester Cathedral

February 7 2013-38_365 by UKOrigin, on Flickr

Starting to worry already about new ideas for shots! I really need to "get less busy" so I can get out and about more. Hopefully the coming longer days. I will try and get round to everyone elses threads soon, I've got some important forms to fill in first though :)

Back