Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

An expert was invited on TV today to advise on the coronavirus. Supposed to be one of the top people in his field. First question he was asked was 'What does the new slogan STAY ALERT mean'? his reply 'I don't know, be afraid!'

Are we expected to follow his (so called) expert advice if he doesn't understand what two simple words mean?

One thing i have wondered about but as i dont go out it wasnt urgent, if we stay two meters apart in a shop with a still atmosphere do we need more space outside with the wind blowing the virus towards us

An expert was invited on TV today to advise on the coronavirus. Supposed to be one of the top people in his field. First question he was asked was 'What does the new slogan STAY ALERT mean'? his reply 'I don't know, be afraid!'

Are we expected to follow his (so called) expert advice if he doesn't understand what two simple words mean?

Perhaps not as two words on there own but as part of an instruction, most people lack spatial awareness so you need to stay alert to protect yourself.

if we stay two meters apart in a shop

Very unlikely to happen now, new guidance says "if possible" ... anyone finding it "possible" will be left standing!

Perhaps not as two words on there own but as part of an instruction, most people lack spatial awareness so you need to stay alert to protect yourself.

The message Stay Alert IS NOT confusing. We are being allowed to go out more, travel further, return to work etc. while social distancing. STAY ALERT means that as there may well be more people & more traffic you MUST be fully aware of your surroundings to ensure you do not inadvertently breach social distancing or cause an accident. I believe the one main thing that people can do to STAY ALERT is the KEEP THEIR MOBILE PHONE IN THEIR POCKET. You can't STAY ALERT and be aware of your surroundings if you walk round staring at your phone texting totally oblivious of what is happening around you.

I think its more people will let their guard down and forget the 2m when out and about or when sitting on a park bench, its easy in the middle of conversation for people to start edging towards each other in the flow without noticing, you can imagine places getting busier so then its more important than even to ensure you keep that distance so that's what I take from it

I think its more people will let their guard down and forget the 2m when out and about or when sitting on a park bench, its easy in the middle of conversation for people to start edging towards each other in the flow without noticing, you can imagine places getting busier so then its more important than even to ensure you keep that distance so that's what I take from it

I think the majority will know what stay alert means in this context. Why so many are saying it is confusing I don't know. Some are now saying the message that you can meet a limited number of family has now confused the social distancing rules, How? The message is you can meet up with one or two family members not from your household in the open (park etc.) and spend time together as long as you stay two meters apart. It means what it says, no confusion one or two family, not friends, neighbours or strangers (although some relatives can be strange).

Whether they obey the new rule or ignore it and just say to the police 'sorry the advice was confusing, I'll go home' and hope the police believe them.

Maybe I'm in a minority, maybe not, but I thought the message was perfectly clear but I get up this morning and listen to the radio (radio 5) and watch the TV (This Morning, Holly and Phil) and apparently I'm the only one in the country who isn't shouting "I'M CONFUSED!" from the rooftops.

As I said in another thread, I continue to be amazed and shocked at the behaviour and attitudes I see around me.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm in a minority, maybe not, but I thought the message was perfectly clear but I get up this morning and listen to the radio (radio 5) and watch the TV (This Morning, Holly and Phil) and apparently I'm the only one in the country who isn't shouting "I'M CONFUSED!" from the rooftops.

As I said in another thread, I continue to be amazed and shocked at the behaviour and attitudes I see around me.

Makes for a good news story to only show the 'I'm confused' minority. I think some just want to be spoon fed every last bit of info. To them I say 'you have a brain, use it'

The message is perfectly clear.

One thing i have wondered about but as i dont go out it wasnt urgent, if we stay two meters apart in a shop with a still atmosphere do we need more space outside with the wind blowing the virus towards us

No, you just make sure you are the one 'upwind' lol

I think the majority will know what stay alert means in this context. Why so many are saying it is confusing I don't know. Some are now saying the message that you can meet a limited number of family has now confused the social distancing rules, How? The message is you can meet up with one or two family members not from your household in the open (park etc.) and spend time together as long as you stay two meters apart. It means what it says, no confusion one or two family, not friends, neighbours or strangers (although some relatives can be strange).

Whether they obey the new rule or ignore it and just say to the police 'sorry the advice was confusing, I'll go home' and hope the police believe them.

I think that you are confused. You can meet up with one family member NOT two. Even Raab got it wrong :)

But the original/existing rules state:
Unless you are with members of your household, you must not gather in groups of more than two people in public spaces like parks. (Copied from Gov.UK website)

So you could meet a single family member, or anyone else anyway.

Last edited:
The reason people are confused is because different organisations are saying different things, the Welsh government is saying different to Downing street, thats different to the home office and NPCC. Each tv and radio station are giving their own version.
It might be simpler to have one official line that all the UK followed.

The reason people are confused is because different organisations are saying different things, the Welsh government is saying different to Downing street, thats different to the home office and NPCC. Each tv and radio station are giving their own version.
Yes exactly

My suspicious mind whispers that at least some of it is that the Sturgeon and the others can't be seen to be just passing on what Boris says verbatim as if they do that then what's the point of them? They need to be seen to be in control and different and more responsible and doing the right thing even if only doing so in an ever so slightly different way.

Yes, Scotland is saying Stay Home and also saying you can go out to exercise as many times as you like!

I think that you are confused. You can meet up with one family member NOT two. Even Raab got it wrong :)

But the original/existing rules state:
Unless you are with members of your household, you must not gather in groups of more than two people in public spaces like parks. (Copied from Gov.UK website)

So you could meet a single family member, or anyone else anyway.

Only confused in as much as Boris said ONE & Dominic said TWO. Both spoke outlining IN BRIEF what is due to start on Wednesday with full details in the 50 page document to be released today at 14:00 and then presented to parliament at 15:30 today. Until then (unless the 50 page document has been leaked or released early) then there are very few that know the finer details so nothing is 'written in stone'.

It is for that reason I said ONE OR TWO. Until we (we as in the vast majority) have access to the final release copy of the 50 page document I don't believe we can be expected to know for sure.

As for the confusion I previously referred to it if was in reference to the fact that many were saying they were confused as to what STAY ALERT meant with regards to social distancing. Social distancing is different to what activities you are allowed to do.

I said it was not confusing and that it meant be aware of what is going on around you so you would not inadvertently breach the social distancing (2 mtr rule) or cause an accident with the additional traffic there made be due to the relaxing of travel restrictions.

So NO I am not confused on what STAY ALERT means but I accept that at present there is some confusion as to whether you can meet up with (spend time outdoors in public places) 1 or 2 family members for one household other than your own. Until then that confusion will remain until the 50 page document is in the public domain.

Last edited:
It has been confirmed in the Plan to Rebuild that you can meet up with ONE person not from your household when outdoors. The same applies even if they are part of you extended family. So no more than TWO person gatherings unless ALL are from the same household. Social distancing must be observed. Travel is not restricted in any way other than it must be within your own country. Fines for none compliance start at £100 up from £60. There is more clarity of face coverings, public transport etc.
Wales, Scotland & Norn Iron may have different rules. Please check if applicable.

Last edited:
I've just been watching vids on how to make a face mask without needing to stitch. They use elastic bands so I wish I kept all those the postman has left a trail of from the front door to the gate over the years.

I've just been watching vids on how to make a face mask without needing to stitch. They use elastic bands so I wish I kept all those the postman has left a trail of from the front door to the gate over the years.

I saw that video, sewing one would be easier. lol

Suppose that will be the next shortage, hopefully it will mean flour will be in the shops again in bags that don't require a truck to deliver.

I thought the message wasn't particularly clear, and with the inability of the present generation to use that rare item 'common sense' it needs to be spoon fed to them in words of one syllable. The thing that concerns me about any relaxation is why are we seeing around 4,000 new infections every day. Where are they catching it from and if restrictions have been observed for the last few weeks why has the infection rate remained at much the same level as a month ago. It seems we will now have the general public wandering about as much as they like on the pretext that they are practising unlimited exercise.

I thought the message wasn't particularly clear, and with the inability of the present generation to use that rare item 'common sense' it needs to be spoon fed to them in words of one syllable. The thing that concerns me about any relaxation is why are we seeing around 4,000 new infections every day. Where are they catching it from and if restrictions have been observed for the last few weeks why has the infection rate remained at much the same level as a month ago. It seems we will now have the general public wandering about as much as they like on the pretext that they are practising unlimited exercise.

The news on Sunday was more of a road map of when the road map would be released. Apparently Boris is now getting criticises for saying too much.

Now the Plan to Rebuild has been released (Link in post #902 ) people can read it themselves, It's clear to me so should be clear to most people. I'm off out Wednesday (weather permitting) to blow the dust off.

I was just thinking if the lifting of lockdown is to avoid damage to the economy, the leaving of it in place must be detrimental to the economy, well who covers for the damage to the economy by Wales and Scotland staying in lockdown.

I will be going out in my car under the new rules, a drive possibly once a day to park up somewhere fairly local just for a different view from the window, for a couple of pound i can sit in the car on the sea front and watch the tide.

It'll be interesting to see where these new infections are. I have it on good authority that they're clustered around G5 masts, so that's something the government should be looking into.

Last edited:
I will be going out in my car under the new rules, a drive possibly once a day to park up somewhere fairly local just for a different view from the window, for a couple of pound i can sit in the car on the sea front and watch the tide.
Just how far will be able to drive then? I'd like to drive 20 miles from my house to a Royal Park to some "walking" with my camera of course!

Just how far will be able to drive then? I'd like to drive 20 miles from my house to a Royal Park to some "walking" with my camera of course!

As far as you want to, as long as it can be done in a day, and you don't drive into Wales or Scotland.

From what i see that shouldn't be a problem

It has been confirmed in the Plan to Rebuild that you can meet up with ONE person not from your household when outdoors. The same applies even if they are part of you extended family. So no more than TWO person gatherings unless ALL are from the same household. Social distancing must be observed. Travel is not restricted in any way other than it must be within your own country. Fines for none compliance start at £100 up from £60. There is more clarity of face coverings, public transport etc.
Wales, Scotland & Norn Iron may have different rules. Please check if applicable.
I think the main point of one person is to allow the inclusion of people who have be in ‘lockdown’ on their own for the past two months to meet with a member of a single household. Its effectively the ‘social bubbles‘ that New Zealand thought of.

I'm off out Wednesday (weather permitting) to blow the dust off.
good luck with that! I think Wednesday will be utter chaos as you now drive anywhere in England- cue the Peak District and Lake District being similar to Snowdonia the weekend before lockdown when people were told to avoid each other.

Such optimism, most commendable, if a little. naive. ;)
I cant see many watching the short videos or reading short articles let alone a 50 page document. Many will get it off Facebook but with many facts completely altered as it will likely be people’s own opinions being shared.

Yes, I've just seen this ;
From Wednesday 13 May, you may drive to outdoor publicly accessible open spaces irrespective of distance, but should follow social distancing guidance whilst you are there.

From Government Guidance: "Staying Alert and Safe", section 4, "Visiting Public Spaces". I'm assuming that photography in such an open space is classed as a recreation although carrying my gear could be classed as exercise :LOL:

Yes, I've just seen this ;

From Government Guidance: "Staying Alert and Safe", section 4, "Visiting Public Spaces". I'm assuming that photography in such an open space is classed as a recreation although carrying my gear could be classed as exercise :LOL:

You can picnic or just sit in the pack, doesn't have to be exercise

"so the Government is updating the rules so that, as well as exercise, people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household; continued compliance with social distancing guidelines to remain two metres (6ft) away from people outside your household; good hand hygiene, particularly with respect to shared surfaces"

"People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance"

Last edited:
I cant see many watching the short videos or reading short articles let alone a 50 page document. Many will get it off Facebook but with many facts completely altered as it will likely be people’s own opinions being shared.

Judging by the video I have seen today of train/underground stations, the last set of rules fell on deaf ears let alone any new ones. :(

I

You could wait for the film:rolleyes:

Back