Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

I find Norfolk enchants with the miles and miles of flatness and the last time I was there, the ever present smell of onions.

Back in the mists of time I owned an Austin Healey frogeye sprite, wonderful to drive, and back then it was what was called in those days a "bird magnet" sadly courting in the car wasn't what you'd call easy, I even took the seats out once... the answer is still no.. I sold it and bought a ford executive... Now your talking, a nice big car. :D

682BUO was the reg of mine. As you say, "courting" in one is impossible but as a puller, it worked reasonably well.

I want to say "unbelievable" but there are just so many people who'll decide what to do and when and to hell with the consequences for anyone else.

Reports from asia are that the local cops are beating curfew busters with sticks, maybe that's what it'll take here.

I want to say "unbelievable" but there are just so many people who'll decide what to do and when and to hell with the consequences for anyone else.

Reports from asia are that the local cops are beating curfew busters with sticks, maybe that's what it'll take here.

Vids all over YT, the likes of India, Malaysia and Kenya have been beating people for breaking curfew since the very start of their respective lock downs

I noticed today whilst travelling between sites (I’m classed as a key worker as I work for a water company and I’m only doing what we class as essential work to keep the toilets flushing) there seem to be more people out than there were last week. I was amazed to see one couple out with walking poles and backpacks! Not exactly your standard attire for a short walk for exercise :banghead:

I can understand people are getting bored of the ‘lockdown’ but compared to other countries we are having an easier time of it. Sadly the more people who don’t abide by the rules will mean we are in lockdown longer than we need to be. Hopefully the changing weather will help things.

The thing that many people don’t seem to understand is that they are taking their own personal ‘tracker’ out with them so the government know exactly how many are doing what they should be or if they are changing their habits as lockdown progresses.

This article appeared in IET news on 20th March about mobile firms being asked to share users location data to monitor adherence to the lockdown measures:

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/ar...ople-s-whereabouts-during-coronavirus-crisis/

It seems other countries are using tracking wristbands for people found to be flouting their lockdowns.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-52409893

It seems to be a lighter punishment than police beating people. Sometimes I think we forget how easy we have it in the UK regarding the freedoms we have.

Last edited:
I'm shopping for three households, due to having one friend down with the virus, and a elderly disabled family member who cant get out at all. I'm seeing a lot more people out and about the last week while I'm traveling, it's a heck of a lot busier than it was.
As is the number of local dog walkers (dogs must be loving covid 19, they've never had so many walks). Yesterday was the first time I've seen police checking (although I wasn't stopped)
Part of the problem I suspect is confusing reports on what you can and can't do. Last week on one news broadcast I was told rules were relaxed and you could now drive to the countryside for walks provided the walk was longer than the drive. Five minutes later on the same news I was told rules had been toughened up and now you could only walk around the block and cycle rides had to be walking distance.
Hardly supprising theres confusion.

Welsh gov guidance for cycling is
"Cycling should be local, as a rule of thumb limited to travelling no further than a reasonable walking distance from home. Exercising by cycling significant distances from home is not considered to be a reasonable excuse for leaving home"
https://gov.wales/leaving-home-exercise-guidance#section-41069
I was cycling yesterday and police were stopping cyclists and cars, police van parked in middle of road near a junction with blue lights on, asked me where I lived and where I had cycled from. Only a couple of miles from home but officer, who was quite friendly, suggested I didn`t go much further from home.

In addition to Nog's comment, the Welsh guidance on what is a "reasonable excuse" also says:

"13. The intention is that exercise should be undertaken locally – as close as possible to the home. In general this should not involve people driving to a location away from home for this purpose. No journeys of any significant distance should be taken, for example, just in order to exercise in the countryside or at beauty spots (many of which are closed in any event to prevent this)."

It's only in England where the guidance on what is a "Reasonable excuse" includes travelling further afield if the exercise period exceeds the travel period. Not sure what is happening in NI, but Scotland like Wales has said it won't be adopting the guidance being followed by the English Police on this.

Last edited:
When the lock down began over here, I noticed a hell of a lot more joggers and dog walkers down our road - numbers seemed to have quadrupled overnight as soon as people were told to limit outings. Then I realised, they closed any gated parks, they closed all the gyms and it was quickly frowned upon to just go for a walk or jog down by the river with the kids and dog, then they slapped the 2km limit on top - so where else where people meant to go? Also this whole pandemic has nicely coincided with the best weather spells of the year and people who aren't lucky enough to have a garden of any kind are going to take any chance for some fresh air. I have nothing against people getting out more [within the suggested limits] once they are doing it right - 1-2 people at a time, not a gaggle of yer kids plus the neighbours and their dogs along with - I'm seeing more of this over the past 2 weeks

Ime sure i saw on a news site this morning that an American company had done a 4-week test of a vaccine on monkeys and it had protected them, they were moving on to human trials, can't find it now.

It's raining, bet there are less people about today !!!

Depends where you are of course, sun's out here in the Oirish midlands. Have to nip into town later myself, I bet I have to dodge more than a few joggers on the cycle paths

It seems to be a lighter punishment than police beating people. Sometimes I think we forget how easy we have it in the UK regarding the freedoms we have.

I can't say I'm in favour of beating people but what I've personally seen in the far east, a flick that may not even show on the skin the next day, seems to be effective but in the UK it'd take about 5 minutes to realise that those being flicked have previously undiagnosed Aspergers and it'd be banned.

I can't say I'm in favour of beating people but what I've personally seen in the far east, a flick that may not even show on the skin the next day, seems to be effective but in the UK it'd take about 5 minutes to realise that those being flicked have previously undiagnosed Aspergers and it'd be banned.

Don't forget, those people have human rights, you can't do anything to them that they don't want you to. They can on the other hand do what they like to you as it is their human right to do whatever they want and they have the law and the bleeding hearts brigade who will fight you to protect that right. You should know by now there are hundreds of undiagnosed conditions that can be suddenly found to suit them, all of which are impossible for you to have. Now leave them alone, they are hard done by and deserve extra special treatment as they are SPECIAL CASES.

Me, I just think that for them they should spend a night or two in one of those 1960s style police cells, you know the type I mean, the ones you access via a flight of slippy stone steps. lol.

Yep, only mad dogs and Englishmen braving the rain when I took the dog out at lunchtime - no joggers, cyclists or shoppers to be seen. Heaven :)

Hoping that the rain will mean that the rat in my garden will slip on the wet grass and fall into the trap that he has so far defeated! :D

It's the wet stuff that's been falling here almost all flippin' day - you youngsters just don't know your born :LOL:

Thanks for comment "you youngsters just don't know your born ", you're right, it happened that long ago I had forgotten it happened. I have had a lot on my mind wondering if I would be dragged kicking & screaming out of retirement and back in to the NHS. Not that I don't want help but being in a higher risk category healthwise it would be too risky. :(

Thanks for comment "you youngsters just don't know your born ", you're right, it happened that long ago I had forgotten it happened. I have had a lot on my mind wondering if I would be dragged kicking & screaming out of retirement and back in to the NHS. Not that I don't want help but being in a higher risk category healthwise it would be too risky. :(

Norman, if they ask tell them you've done your bit. Stay healthy :)

Next week Boris is going to give us an idea of how he plans to get us out of lockdown, hope he doesn't go too far too soon, it looks like Germany may have moved a bit early on lifting some restrictions.

Saw that, museums and zoos opening again. Just cancelled a trip to Stuttgart in early June.
Maybe get there later this year, got some DBahn credits to use, wife won't want to go if the Eis Cafes aren't open

Government's roadmap to ease Covid-19 restrictions will be set out in 5 phases. These phases will be on 3 week review process, the current phases would commence on the following dates:

Phase 1 - 18th May
Phase 2 - 8th June
Phase 3 - 29th June
Phase 4 - 20th July
Phase 5 - 10th August

If coronavirus cases begin to increase, we will revert to the restrictions set out in the previous stage.

PHASE 1

Phase 1 of the roadmap will lift the following restrictions:

Construction workers, landscape gardeners and other outdoor workers may return to work

Garden centres, repair shops and hardware stores may reopen

Fitness & sport activities (non-contact) in small groups (max of 4 people) may resume (golf included)

People may meet up with friends and family in small groups outdoors (size of a "small group" is defined as up to 4 people)

The majority of regular health services will resume

Outdoor public amenities and tourism sites may reopen (beaches & mountain walks)

*NOTE - social distancing guidelines will remain in operation for all

PHASE 2

Phase 2 of the roadmap will lift the following restrictions:

Restriction will be extended from 5km to 20km

Specific retail hours will be allocated for those currently cocooning

Home visits will be allowed to those cocooning, by a small number of persons for a short period of time

Up to 4 people may visit another household for a short period of time

Slightly larger family gatherings at funerals will be permitted (limited to maximum safe social distancing can still be applied)

Solitary workers and workers that can maintain social distancing can return to work

Small retail outlets that can control staff and customer numbers and maintain social distancing may reopen

Public libraries will reopen

Outdoor sporting activities, involving small group training (no matches) can recommenced (no contact still allowed)

PHASE 3

Phase 3 of the roadmap will lift the following restrictions:

Commence opening of creches and pre-schools for children of essential workers

Commence a phased approach to visiting at hospitals and other healthcare settings

Businesses where employees have low levels of daily interaction may reopen

Phase in the opening of all other non-essential retail outlets, restricting customer numbers and applying social distancing (limited to retail outlets with street level entrance and exit, i.e. not in shopping centres)

Playgrounds will be reopened

'Behind closed doors' sporting events may recommence

Cafes and restaurants may reopen as long as social distancing is maintained

PHASE 4

Phase 4 of the roadmap will lift the following restrictions:

Travel will be extended to outside of your region

Larger household visits will be permitted

Small social gatherings will be permitted (baptisms, small weddings etc.)

Creches and pre-schools will reopen for all other children

Other employees return to work - beginning with those who cannot work remotely and then staggering the working times to ensure social distancing

Barbers and hairdressers may reopen

Museums and other cultural outlets may reopen

Sports teams (GAA & soccer) may recommence and public swimming pools may reopen

Hotels and other hospitality units may reopen based on limited occupancy. Hotel bars are to remain closed.

PHASE 5

Phase 5 of the roadmap will lift the following restrictions:

Social gatherings will be permitted except for large gathering and gatherings in households of suspect cases

Schools and colleges will reopen on a phased basis and will recommence in the new academic year

Normal hospital and other residential setting visits will be allowed

All employees may return to work on normal onsite arrangements, except organisations that cannot maintain social distancing plans

Enclosed shopping centres may reopen

Tattoo and piercing parlors may reopen

Cinemas may reopen

Close contact physical sports may recommence (rugby, boxing etc.)

Gyms and dance studios may reopen

Mass sporting events may recommence where social distancing can be maintained

Indoor recreational venues may reopen (bowling, bingo etc.)

Small festivals and other outdoor cultural events may resume

Tourist travel to offshore islands may resume

You can rely on this as absolute fact as it was posted by a delivery driver at CCS firewood pizza who lives in Glasgow. What more qualifications does he need?

He probably got this first hand from The Sturgeons friendface page.

I fear there'll be more waves. The lockdown is widely flouted here and I really do fear more infections as some just don't seem willing to take social distancing seriously at all.

Now I thought they were just starting discussions on the plans today, Can he see in to the future?

Government's roadmap to ease Covid-19 restrictions will be set out in 5 phases. These phases will be on 3 week review process, the current phases would commence on the following dates:

Phase 1 - 18th May
Phase 2 - 8th June
Phase 3 - 29th June
Phase 4 - 20th July
Phase 5 - 10th August

If coronavirus cases begin to increase, we will revert to the restrictions set out in the previous stage.

PHASE 1

Phase 1 of the roadmap will lift the following restrictions:

Construction workers, landscape gardeners and other outdoor workers may return to work

Garden centres, repair shops and hardware stores may reopen

Fitness & sport activities (non-contact) in small groups (max of 4 people) may resume (golf included)

People may meet up with friends and family in small groups outdoors (size of a "small group" is defined as up to 4 people)

The majority of regular health services will resume

Outdoor public amenities and tourism sites may reopen (beaches & mountain walks)

*NOTE - social distancing guidelines will remain in operation for all

PHASE 2

Phase 2 of the roadmap will lift the following restrictions:

Restriction will be extended from 5km to 20km

Specific retail hours will be allocated for those currently cocooning

Home visits will be allowed to those cocooning, by a small number of persons for a short period of time

Up to 4 people may visit another household for a short period of time

Slightly larger family gatherings at funerals will be permitted (limited to maximum safe social distancing can still be applied)

Solitary workers and workers that can maintain social distancing can return to work

Small retail outlets that can control staff and customer numbers and maintain social distancing may reopen

Public libraries will reopen

Outdoor sporting activities, involving small group training (no matches) can recommenced (no contact still allowed)

PHASE 3

Phase 3 of the roadmap will lift the following restrictions:

Commence opening of creches and pre-schools for children of essential workers

Commence a phased approach to visiting at hospitals and other healthcare settings

Businesses where employees have low levels of daily interaction may reopen

Phase in the opening of all other non-essential retail outlets, restricting customer numbers and applying social distancing (limited to retail outlets with street level entrance and exit, i.e. not in shopping centres)

Playgrounds will be reopened

'Behind closed doors' sporting events may recommence

Cafes and restaurants may reopen as long as social distancing is maintained

PHASE 4

Phase 4 of the roadmap will lift the following restrictions:

Travel will be extended to outside of your region

Larger household visits will be permitted

Small social gatherings will be permitted (baptisms, small weddings etc.)

Creches and pre-schools will reopen for all other children

Other employees return to work - beginning with those who cannot work remotely and then staggering the working times to ensure social distancing

Barbers and hairdressers may reopen

Museums and other cultural outlets may reopen

Sports teams (GAA & soccer) may recommence and public swimming pools may reopen

Hotels and other hospitality units may reopen based on limited occupancy. Hotel bars are to remain closed.

PHASE 5

Phase 5 of the roadmap will lift the following restrictions:

Social gatherings will be permitted except for large gathering and gatherings in households of suspect cases

Schools and colleges will reopen on a phased basis and will recommence in the new academic year

Normal hospital and other residential setting visits will be allowed

All employees may return to work on normal onsite arrangements, except organisations that cannot maintain social distancing plans

Enclosed shopping centres may reopen

Tattoo and piercing parlors may reopen

Cinemas may reopen

Close contact physical sports may recommence (rugby, boxing etc.)

Gyms and dance studios may reopen

Mass sporting events may recommence where social distancing can be maintained

Indoor recreational venues may reopen (bowling, bingo etc.)

Small festivals and other outdoor cultural events may resume

Tourist travel to offshore islands may resume

You can rely on this as absolute fact as it was posted by a delivery driver at CCS firewood pizza who lives in Glasgow. What more qualifications does he need?

Thought it must be false it nearly made sense

laughter-really-is-the-best-medicine-L-rfO6kp.jpg

Roll on Wednesday

Relaxation rules means we can now travel further, take a tripod and sit around waiting for 'that' shot as long as we keep a good 2 meters from others (does others include the wife? :))

Roll on Wednesday

Relaxation rules means we can now travel further, take a tripod and sit around waiting for 'that' shot as long as we keep a good 2 meters from others (does others include the wife? :))
I think you're allowed to take a family member with you... just saying! :giggle: :exit:

Roll on Wednesday

Apparantly there is a 50 page document explaining it all to be released later today ... maybe take a tripod but no camera! :LOL:

Apparantly there is a 50 page document explaining it all to be released later today ... maybe take a tripod but no camera! :LOL:

You think that will be enough :ROFLMAO:

Back