Panic Buying

What's with the flour and yeast shortage? Supermarkets don't seem to be re-stocking.

Flour factories (well, packaging plants) are keeping commercial users supplied and the commercial bagging lines can't be run while the consumer one is, hence the apparent shortage. Bake Off has brought on a rise in home baking too so more people are doing it (and have a bit more time for it ATM!)

He was out at the time but he would have had a bloody good go at it given half a chance.

Good job he didn't - milk tends to give 'em the schyttes...

Good job he didn't - milk tends to give 'em the schyttes...

Yeah, cats are naturally lactose intolerant but a little every now and again is ok, he likes to lick the bowls after we've had porridge.

Out of a reasonably sized online shop only unavailable items were
Yeast, Pork Pies ,Lager 660ml, Condensed Milk and frozen Green Beans
A few substitutions, but nothing ridiculous and delivery chap rang to see if he could arrive early

Well done Ocado

ive seen some funny substituions on social media - someone ordered lettuce but got a massive leg of pork! wondering if the pickers are trying to keep themselves sane by playing a game on craziest sub!

i want some frozen green beans!

ive seen some funny substituions on social media - someone ordered lettuce but got a massive leg of pork! wondering if the pickers are trying to keep themselves sane by playing a game on craziest sub!

Get some fresh ones and blanch them, just being lazy this time and blew out
Have got some fresh Broccoli stems that will be getting the treatment to freeze

I always buy frozen, not just in lock down - they're also better value - if i buy a 1kg of fresh ones i dont want to eat them every day for a week or whatever. its only me here so they are my go to staple and i buy other things fresh, mostly courgettes. they're not the lazy option for everyone - they are the best option for me :)

I always buy frozen, not just in lock down - they're also better value - if i buy a 1kg of fresh ones i dont want to eat them every day for a week or whatever. its only me here so they are my go to staple and i buy other things fresh, mostly courgettes. they're not the lazy option for everyone - they are the best option for me :)

That's why I was saying blanch them, eat some fresh and freeze the rest.

bizarrely the one thing I've not seen anywhere is lime juice!
There is gallons of the stuff in my local Tesco, but I'm a few miles south of you ;)
And yes I like it as well (y)

So if the "shortage" of flour is because they are concentrating on supplying commercial bread makers then all well and good.
I've actually got flour and yeast but a pal (Who owns 4 locked down pubs) is spending his time making bread for the elderly villagers and he's running out.
(Of yeast, not elderly villagers.)

Thanks for the replies.

So if the "shortage" of flour is because they are concentrating on supplying commercial bread makers then all well and good.
I've actually got flour and yeast but a pal (Who owns 4 locked down pubs) is spending his time making bread for the elderly villagers and he's running out.

Thanks for the replies.
The BBC story at my link says there is a problem with increasing the packing in small bags for supermarkets, most of it is sold in bulk or bigger packs.

Thanks for the replies.

He MIGHT be able to get a big bag direct from one of the big mills, might be worth him giving them a call and explaining his predicament.

most of it is sold in bulk or bigger packs.
I quite often see a bulk tanker or two obviously full of the stuff, on my travels to the Norfolk area,
I'm not sure if they are coming or going TBH though.

He MIGHT be able to get a big bag direct from one of the big mills, might be worth him giving them a call and explaining his predicament.
Once again, that’s in the BBC link, that everyone is trying the mills, who have fewer staff die to isolation and some have had to close their sakes because they are overwhelmed.

What's with the flour and yeast shortage? Supermarkets don't seem to be re-stocking.
Got bread flour in my Ocado delivery today, no yeast though, wife is talking about making sour dough bread.

Ive found the same. But regarding yeast, I asked at the bakery counter in our local Sainsburys and they were happy to see fresh yeast by the kilo. Only £2.80 and it can be frozen (apparently...).
I used 2% of the weight of flour and slightly reduced the amount of water added by approx 10g.

I read a report where someone ordered a bunch of daffodils & got spring onions......

Ive found the same. But regarding yeast, I asked at the bakery counter in our local Sainsburys and they were happy to see fresh yeast by the kilo. Only £2.80 and it can be frozen (apparently...).
I used 2% of the weight of flour and slightly reduced the amount of water added by approx 10g.
Morrison’s sells fresh yeast usually, in small “Oxo” type cubes on the butter/pastry shelves. Can be frozen but they say not for a very long time. I shall find out when I thaw mine out that I discovered forgotten in the fridge.

Only a small amount of the UK’s flour goes to home baking most goes to commercial and I suspect we will be waiting a long time for shelves to repopulate.
One thing ‘the beast from the east’ (snow storm) taught me was the first thing to go in a lockdown is bread and it doesn’t last long either so I’ve always held a good stock of bread making flour since!

Only a small amount of the UK’s flour goes to home baking most goes to commercial and I suspect we will be waiting a long time for shelves to repopulate.
One thing ‘the beast from the east’ (snow storm) taught me was the first thing to go in a lockdown is bread and it doesn’t last long either so I’ve always held a good stock of bread making flour since!
Yes, most “bread making” flour is Canadian etc. though you can make perfectly good bread from lower protein flour as the French do.

Visited a large (but not massive) tesco yesterday around 2pm. Fairly well organised queue - stations to clean trolley if you wanted (but not enforced) and no hand sanitizer as far as i could tell. Signs up about one way directions down aisles, but i'll admit i found this hard to do as few others were, as if you didn't want every aisle, it was hard. Got bog roll (but not my sacred Nicky that i usually get from Home Bargains) - only the value stuff as it was hard to see prices on the regular stuff as the bog roll aisle also contained REDUCED easter eggs so it was full of dawdling people, plus crates of stock. good that i got some for my friends kids but im sure better bargains to be had but didn't feel comfortable in the aisle. There was SO many. Can't say 2m was something on a lot of people's minds. Got pretty much everything i needed, apart from Detoll wipes for my aunt and uncle and some pasta sauce (wasn't priority but was going to get some if they had it). Forgot toothpaste whihc was annoying as i only buy one brand and i usually get that from b&M and it was half price at tesco. don't think ill go there again. may try waitrose to see if people are more wary of space there. i buy the cheapest apples/kids apples at asda usually and i know they don't do things like that.... hopefully another couple of weeks before i need to go again.

Now need to eat meals i'd made from the freezer, to make room for the ones ill be making with new supplies. Not touched my MREs yet lol - wish i knew where the local market sourced them from as obv i can't get them from there right now

No flour? No problem, if I get desperate enough I've got the kit to make my own! ;)

i think you'd get on very well with one of my friends @Mr Badger - i bet he's got something like this tucked away somewhere. he's been ready for the zombie apocalypse for years.

I also heard that one but another I read is of someone ordering tampons and getting sausage rolls.
Could have been worse they could have got Prince Charles. ;)

I succumed to an instagram advert for gaucamole delivery! it was reduced by £5 - still prob more than going to asda, but its meant to better (sold in waitrose, don't you know) and has long shelf life so means i'm good for guac for a month :) it said possibly 5 days for delivery but was here within a few days - i got a free cool bag too! i dont normally buy it but decided to have fajitas during start of lockdown and now i'm obsessed.

im guessing with another 3 weeks announced the shops might have been a bit busier end of the week so glad i've been for now. i can report that tesco basic bog roll is not a patch on Nicky branded toilet roll (despite being very similar in price) - i need a spy at Home bargains to update me on their bog roll status!

Panic buyers beware, glad I don't have a lot of storage here, just necessities
That only goes to prove what I've said all along, a lot of people never give a thought to food they dump(ed) in places like Mc.Ds car parks.
And the fact that a lot of restaurants don't have the correct bins for the purpose, if they do, they let it spill over so the lids don't fit or they don't have the drain bung in place so the Rats can get inside the bins from underneath.
Maybe now people will realise what they have been doing for years as its finally coming to fruition...

But don't mind me, this is how I make my living.
Thank you each and every one of you, that never give give a second thought, to how they dispose of waste food (y)

Most of ours goes down my throat - without a second thought!!! :p

Erm… I didn't! SH did! (Quote confusion...)

Reactions: Nod
I can report that tesco basic bog roll is not a patch on Nicky branded toilet roll (despite being very similar in price) - i need a spy at Home bargains to update me on their bog roll status!
If you mean Home Bargains stock of big roll, there is an App called Supermarket Check-In. It mainly advises of queueing times for entry but if you click on your local shops of choice it will give you an idea of general stock levels of things like big rolls, pasta, bread etc. It relies on customers updating the info, so not 100% accurate. But certainly helpful.

Back