Panic Buying

ooh thanks @nilagin - i think i read about that but as it was talking about waiting times i ddin'tthink it would be good for this (stock levels being my first thought) ill check it out. amazing how clever people manage to develop all these tools so quickly. well done clever people!

*edit* 60mins to get into local b&Q?? two entries for my local home bargains, one says 60mins one says 5 lol - says check out wait is 30mins. says bog rolls are limited. Don't need 'em immediatly (but i will curse the crappy value stuff every day til it runs out) so perhaps my beloved Nicky will be back in stock. At least if the wait is 60mins that means the amount of people in store may be well managed.

Last edited:
Had a look on the Ocado site just before eight this morning not expecting anything as usual.
To my surprise a few slots on offer for tomorrow, got one and then had sixty minutes to get checked out.

Things must be looking better in the shops as less reports on here now :) ill be attempting Waitrose this week and post office there at the same time. Flour is still hard to get here. had been meaning to check the supermarket app to see when queues were apparently less - but will be going later, rather than middle of the day like i did fo tesco

Things must be looking better in the shops as less reports on here now :) ill be attempting Waitrose this week and post office there at the same time. Flour is still hard to get here. had been meaning to check the supermarket app to see when queues were apparently less - but will be going later, rather than middle of the day like i did fo tesco

Flour and yeast are the only things hard to get. A friend who work in Tesco go me some yeast last week, and they also had some bread flour in 2 weeks ago, wnet quick. Sainsburys yesterday had lost of plain and self raise, but just 1 of bread flour. Luckily i have now got 16kg delivered! Other than that its just odds and ends that are not in (specific types of eggs for example) but happens in normal times too.

Supermarkets have done very well I have to say!

Flour and yeast are the only things hard to get. A friend who work in Tesco go me some yeast last week, and they also had some bread flour in 2 weeks ago, wnet quick. Sainsburys yesterday had lost of plain and self raise, but just 1 of bread flour. Luckily i have now got 16kg delivered! Other than that its just odds and ends that are not in (specific types of eggs for example) but happens in normal times too.

Seems to be the opposite with Ocado, they have bread flour but no plain.

For those needing flour, try
https://www.shipton-mill.com/
One of the best mills in the UK and still doing online orders.

less people at waitrose, so that made the lack of social distancing by people slightly eaiser to cope with. 6pm, no queue and hardly anyone in there. no flour still, got most of what i want. spent more than usual, as to be expected, some things i could have got, but didn't as i didnt want to pay more for them. *edit* so i am tempted to go there next time, just cos there seemed to be less people, and having nto been to asda, i can't imagine its ever that quiet*

off topic, my neighbours who are ASBO noisy anyway, are now doing DIY late into the evening - given they are in all day because he is furloughed WHY ARE YOU DOING IT NOW? it's heading for 9pm - just what you want with a splitting headache.

Last edited:
With the lifting of some restrictions is it time to start panic buying yet ;)

I think you've got a bit of time, if things go pear-shaped with the loosening of the reins I recon you have 2-4 weeks before the brakes are put back on.

As part of my daily exercise, my walk today took me past out local Tesco supermarket.
I saw a shopper pushing a big and very full trolley towards her car. When I got close(though at least two metres away, of course!) I realised what was in the trolley.
As far as I could see it was full of bags of potatoes and bags of onions - panic buying is alive and well.

Dave

As part of my daily exercise, my walk today took me past out local Tesco supermarket.
I saw a shopper pushing a big and very full trolley towards her car. When I got close(though at least two metres away, of course!) I realised what was in the trolley.
As far as I could see it was full of bags of potatoes and bags of onions - panic buying is alive and well.

Dave
How do you know they weren't buying for a nursing home etc?

One of the ladies in the village works in social care, to try and cut down on visits to the supermarket, got a list together for 5 of her clients. Local supermarket was aware of what she was doing but by the time she got back to her car she was in tears from all the people accusing her of panic buying,

So maybe think why somebody has got 5 packs of toilet rolls etc.

I'm going to the farm shop after lunch to buy a 25kg sack of spuds, well worth 4 quid
Lasts us for ages, the variety is Saxon and seem to be good for most uses, second year we have bought them

Hoping for some new spuds soon, might even be lucky this time

Last edited:
Hoping for some new spuds soon, might even be lucky this time

I've been enjoying Jersey Royals for the last 3 weeks, trouble is I end up buying loads whenever I go. neiighbours want them too

I'll be nearly 3 weeks next time i shop in early part of next week, dont have a proper mask but will wear a snood if i must - my friend is making a mask for me prob.

Hopefully hell wont have broken loose by then and i can still get bog roll etc.

my local chinese opened last week so i had that at the weekend.

*edit* now have to pop to waitrose tonight (as it is the most spacious) to get a condolence card (not cv related) so picking up a few other bits before a bigger shop next week.

Last edited:
i braved asda last night - people wise pretty food at 830pm - only mised out on a couple of items. baking/flour items pretty thin on the ground and still hand soap (apart from a carex refill but i wanted a fun 'flavour' so just me being picky) late nights are def the choice for me. wore snood. but the one way system going into shop not very clear so went in wrong way and man muttered under breath at me. which i'd prob do too so no hard feeling :)

The one way system nonsense is pretty irritating tbh
I'd not encountered it till I went in Asda for a few bits, they don't have it at Sainsbury's.
If you stick to it, I doubt it reduces contact by any meaningful amount, it probably increases it especially if you're only in for a "few bits"

The one way system nonsense is pretty irritating tbh
I'd not encountered it till I went in Asda for a few bits, they don't have it at Sainsbury's.
If you stick to it, I doubt it reduces contact by any meaningful amount, it probably increases it especially if you're only in for a "few bits"
I’ve tried all the major supermarkets around here over the last few weeks and Asda are by far the worst for being able to keep your distance. Tesco being the best. Asda have too many isles for the space they occupy, theyre only about 6 feet apart so its impossible to maintain distancing.

i think if you know the store, and you're going in for a bigger shop, its eaiser to keep to one way. But yes if its just odds and ends its hard to keep the direction, so the later i go the easier it is if i get messed up with the direction. it just wasnt very clear in the entrance the way they had done it. tesco i dont go there as much so didnt know where things were and ending up going all over the place.

I've found Waitrose to be the easiest to maintain distance as the aisles are bigger (than my tesco anyway) with tesco being furthest and Sainsburys being annoying to park, i'll prob stick with Asda and Waitrose. Turns out i have to go to asda again today. meh. I wore a snood in asda (not as effective as a mask but better than nothing? maybe??) but majority were not in masks. if you have glasses, then the steaming up is annoying!

My local Tesco has massive arrows and fairly wide aisles, it all mainly seems to be ignored by anyone over the age of 50 though.

We have a number of large Asda and Sainsburys supermarkets within a 5 mile radius of our house, all of which do online shopping with click & collect. I much prefer this to the idea of having to go into stores full of people who cannot grasp the concept of social distancing. The collection point for Sainsburys is usually one of their home delivery food trucks parked in their car park away from the entrance. The longest I have waited to pick up our groceries (in a queue of 3 vehicles) was no more than 10 minutes. Meanwhile the queue to get into Sainsburys stretches up to 300 metres around the store. My son and daughter's families are doing similar, we stay in regular contact & add items to our orders for each other when they forget something.

Getting a delivery or click and collect slot seems quite hard and for someone in my position (not in any vulernable category or job), i feel guilty getting the online slots when others may need them more than me. Evening seems to be a good time to go and it's not too stressful and i only go about once every 2 weeks (normally). Evening, especially at Waitrose are very quiet.

I gave up trying to get delivery slots , especially as supermarkets were reserving these (quite rightly) mostly for people self isolating. We fall into the under 70 with pre-existing medical conditions category so C&C seemed like the next best thing. We must be lucky as we have been able to get a slot every week without much difficulty.

yes thats good that you're able to get them when you need them! it sounds like a good compromise - i admit i've not tried that hard but there arent any when i've thought "you know what, i cant be bothered" and then decided not to bother, now i've found a good time to visit, im ok with going to the store - before i moved to somewhere right near an Asda i used to get online deliveries every 2 weeks and top up at a small Co op near where i work so i was sort of used to shopping long term for the most part so havnt had to adjust too much. when i moved and started going to asda more often, it was usuallyimpluse buys that i didnt need anyway haha, when i should haveonly needed a few bits.

what i am most going to miss is the local market where i worked as in summer the fruit stall had the best priced cherries around and thre is one of those food stalls that had random stuff really cheap and was always good for a gander (this is where i got my army ration meals from :) )

Last edited:
My local Tesco has massive arrows and fairly wide aisles, it all mainly seems to be ignored by anyone over the age of 50 though.
I've just come back from a fairly large Tesco, It works well normally, with a guy on the door counting them in, and the other side counting them out. But over the last 2 or 3 weeks, I'm noticing an increase in disregarding the the large blue arrows on the floor of people of all ages, races creeds and colours.

I've just come back from a fairly large Tesco, It works well normally, with a guy on the door counting them in, and the other side counting them out. But over the last 2 or 3 weeks, I'm noticing an increase in disregarding the the large blue arrows on the floor of people of all ages, races creeds and colours.
In the large Tesco we go in, the arrows go up and down the aisles, but only go in one direction to the far end of the store. So if you forget something at the beginning, you have no option but to go against the direction of the arrows to get back to the aisle you require.
As for people going the wrong way in the aisles, I find it is usually pensioners, late 60's and upwards, or the Tesco staff themselves doing peoples "online" shop.

Yeah don;t go to asda at 2pm - not a massive queue but the first time i've queued more than 5 mins. Not really essential item (birthday candles and flowers) at least i stayed near front of shop where there was less people. I've no idea why anyone would choose to do a full shop at this time of day as i'd usually never go at this time.

i hope there are plenty of nightclub bouncers/security getting work at supermarkets to help stay employed!

So if you forget something at the beginning, you have no option but to go against the direction of the arrows to get back to the aisle you require.
Well the you know the answer to that, don't forget something :p
And if you follow the arrows around the store, you will pass every item. Well you do at "mine" anyway.

the Tesco staff themselves doing peoples "online" shop.
Ah yes some of the worse kind

By far the biggest problem in our local Tesco Extra is teenagers filling click and collect baskets taking no notice of social distancing while wearing t shirts telling everyone to keep 2m apart.

Well the you know the answer to that, don't forget something :p
And if you follow the arrows around the store, you will pass every item. Well you do at "mine" anyway.
I normally buy frozen spinach. This is after the fresh fruit and veg aisles. When I got to the frozen veg, they didn't have spinach so I had to go back 4 aisles to get a bag of fresh spinach.
Even before the virus, I spend as little time in the store as possible, I am certainly not going to walk up and down each aisle to get to the other end. That would take forever. ;)

I am certainly not going to walk up and down each aisle to get to the other end. That would take forever.
I don't like hanging about either, but its people like you walking against the flow, that cause distancing problems, and increasing the time I have to spend in there :p

I'm in and out in 5 minutes. It's the t***s that leave their trolley once side of the aisle and are at the shelf on the opposite side that cause the distancing issues.

Ah yes some of the worse kind

I highlighted this because its your answer to another post about "the Tesco staff themselves doing peoples "online" shop." Have you any idea how difficult their job is my partner is working the 2am shift picking peoples shopping for them, people, a lot of them it must be said are quite fit and able to do their own shopping. These workers are given very little PPE and because of the way the system works and how busy they are its impossible to keep to social distancing regulations. Maybe having a bit of respect for them, it's really not their fault, do you think they want to mix with the public.

By far the biggest problem in our local Tesco Extra is teenagers filling click and collect baskets taking no notice of social distancing while wearing t shirts telling everyone to keep 2m apart.

Maybe it's not their fault and rather than whining on a forum you could have a word with their bosses ask them why they aren't keeping them apart and show your concern that way, If it bothers you that much.

I highlighted this because its your answer to another post about "the Tesco staff themselves doing peoples "online" shop." Have you any idea how difficult their job is my partner is working the 2am shift picking peoples shopping for them, people, a lot of them it must be said are quite fit and able to do their own shopping. These workers are given very little PPE and because of the way the system works and how busy they are its impossible to keep to social distancing regulations. Maybe having a bit of respect for them, it's really not their fault, do you think they want to mix with the public.
That's odd all our 24hr supermarkets are now shut at night so the shelves etc. Can be restocked and the online shopping can be done. The night shift won't see the public.

That's odd all our 24hr supermarkets are now shut at night so the shelves etc. Can be restocked and the online shopping can be done. The night shift won't see the public.
She sees the public for the last couple of hours of her shift other Pickers see them all day, anything else?

Maybe it's not their fault and rather than whining on a forum you could have a word with their bosses ask them why they aren't keeping them apart and show your concern that way, If it bothers you that much.
What makes you think i haven’t already done it. Surely they should have been “trained” to do the job of filling baskets and keeping away from other people but it seems its way too difficult for our “educated” youth” to follow instructions and/ or think

Back