Panic Buying

I understand what your saying but if you restrict it to say 1 we will all have to go more often putting those of us in the vulnerable group at even more risk
If you are stuck with only having one of something at a time then you have to go shopping more often which rather defeats the object of avoiding unnecessary contact. It can't be hard to tell who buys what and who is suddenly buying loads more than they need from previous purchase data.

Sorry, I didn't mean just one tin of stuff ... more like one pack of toilet rolls, one hand sanitiser, etc.

No-one needs more than 4 rolls of TP per week for example.

A bit more common sense needs to be applied. :)

The major supermarkets need to restrict purchases to one per customer not 3 ... and enforce it properly.

I no longer go into my local Asda because of the appalling behaviour being displayed there .... mostly it seems by 30-50 age groups with all their kids with them! :runaway:
Our local Tesco has already been restricting the panic bought items to one per customer, even items that people would generally buy more than one normally anyway. People are getting around it by shopping in pairs or more and filling their own individual trolley.
As more and more people do it, the problem escalates further instead of going away.
Problem is as one food runs out, people are buying something else to replace it. I get through 2-3 bags of mixed nuts a week, yet have been unable to buy any in Tesco for over a week, I am still trying to work out what it is that people were unable to buy and felt small bags of nuts were a worthy replacement.

Problem is as one food runs out, people are buying something else to replace it. I get through 2-3 bags of mixed nuts a week, yet have been unable to buy any in Tesco for over a week, I am still trying to work out what it is that people were unable to buy and felt small bags of nuts were a worthy replacement.

I'm guessing they normally buy the salted/flavoured crap and they just saw packets of nuts and thought "they'll do". Will probably be disappointed when they're opened.

Not to do with panic buying but heard this today

Just had my daughter in law on the phone, she runs a starbucks near an army barracks, she had some soldiers in complaining they should be on leave. She ask why they are not and they said next week they are going on lockdown duty in the streets and will be taking people home and issuing fines for breaking whatever rules come in.

If you are stuck with only having one of something at a time then you have to go shopping more often which rather defeats the object of avoiding unnecessary contact. It can't be hard to tell who buys what and who is suddenly buying loads more than they need from previous purchase data.
I normally go shopping twice a week, once with my wife and once on my own, this week I have been shopping, just about every day, fortunately there is a Tesco close to work but as the days went by, they had less and less of the stuff I buy. A 4 pint carton of milk lasts me just over a day, I would normally buy three when I go shopping with the wife, then another during the coming week, this week I had to buy one every day just to build up my 3 bottles in the fridge again ready for work this week as i am on lates and am restricted on what top up food I can buy on the way to work as there is nowhere to keep cold or frozen stuff before going home again. I will be back to just one carton again by next weekend and will have to resort to shopping on the way home again on the following week.

Just had my daughter in law on the phone, she runs a starbucks near an army barracks, she had some soldiers in complaining they should be on leave. She ask why they are not and they said next week they are going on lockdown duty in the streets and will be taking people home and issuing fines for breaking whatever rules come in.

After seeing hundreds of people walking on Brighton sea front, can`t wait till the army start to stop it all.

Went into the local town for shopping last night and was horrified by the number of teenagers congregating together. Obviously offspring of the 'White Lightning and L&B brigade!' (These will be the same people who moan about the Govt. not increasing their benefits during this time no doubt!) who just want them out of the house now schools are shut!

The sooner the Police have the power to take them home and issue fines the better IMO.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they normally buy the salted/flavoured crap and they just saw packets of nuts and thought "they'll do". Will probably be disappointed when they're opened.
Could be, but the salted stuff is at the other end of the store with the crisps, the nuts I buy are with the baking goods.

Other than Monday, I have been unable to buy frozen blueberries. They are £2 each or 3 for £5. I buy three and they will last me six days. Yesterday, Tesco had no frozen fruit at all, luckily when we went back today for my youngest to get mother's day stuff, they had raspberries on the same offer, so I had to buy them, only problem with raspberries is that they cause my psoriasis to flare up, so I had to buy some moisturising lotion too. :(

The supermarkets hoped people would do the decent thing and respect the opening times only for OAPs and vulnerable people, as not all vulnerabilities are visible its difficult for them to police, can`t really give every one under 60 odd a medical at the store entrance. The ones abusing the system would no doubt have googled a plausible excuse or be shopping on behalf of their 100 year old great great grand mother.

Lots of stores stock over night but one I am aware of does not get delivery of stock until late morning- yet they are still saying the first hour is for OAPs etc - I asked if they were keeping stock back to put out early am and nope.

My stepdaughter reserved a computer for her son from argos last night called today to pick it up and it had gone up £50 since reserving it, she told them to stuff it but the way things are selling they won't care.

Argos offers and deals always used to run Fri-Thu so it might have been back to full price. Usually if you complain that you could have paid the night before and picked up today the manager will honour the offer price.

Things may have changed since I worked there as a student

The Tesco social distancing measures are laughable.
They stuck strips black and yellow tape on the floor to keep people 2 metres behind the person in front.
The oversight being the fact you have to rub shoulders with the person in the next queue.

To be fair they are doing that to look after their staff,

Bicester Tesco was a little quieter than usual, people generally behaving normally and without scrapping etc. No bog roll or hand gel, no pasta or rice, just a few packs of dried noodles, bottles of hand wash, not much cat food, plenty of fresh bread, milk, meat and vegetables. There were some gaps on the shelves but I could get >90% of what we needed without trouble.

The booze shelves have been pretty hard hit today.

Went to Tesco this evening. have successfully fed us for a week (no potatoes, eggs, or toilet roll).

Lager all gone and some confused looking faces at the dregs of real ale...

One of my favourite pubs in Doncaster, The Hallcross is doing home delivery for boxes of beer 5/9/36 pint boxes which kept cool could last 3 weeks. Old Horizontal and St Leger Gold on order.

Ive succumbed to panic buying and bought myself a rowing machine....:exit:
Have been wanting one in the garage for a couple of years, but the thought that we may be housebound for months on end was the incentive needed. The concept2 rowers have been cleaned out on eBay, but have managed to find a seller that (apparently) still had stock and wasn't inflating prices. Hopefully will be here in the next week or two and i can escape to the garage for a half hour now and again from the pain of having a three and five year old not in school for the next five months...!

Been through the same game today trying to find a turbo trainer for the bike at a reasonable price as i suspect the lockdown will get tighter before it gets better.....

I've got enough undone diy to outlast any lockdown, plenty of exercise doing it too
All the stuff I have left to go out and take photos, come back and bit me on the arse now

Been through the same game today trying to find a turbo trainer for the bike at a reasonable price as i suspect the lockdown will get tighter before it gets better.....

This is where i got the rower but doesn't look like they have any turbo trainers. Perhaps Halfords?

Ive got a selection of free weights and a spinning bike in the man cave, working in a factory I really cant see this affecting me just jet as working from home isnt an option although most of our office staff are, with occasional trips into work.

This guy bought all the bread in Farmfoods, he has a shop and wants it for resale,Farm foods said a sale is a sale

Capture.JPG

Something that occurred to me "sensible shoppers" that suddenly find they have to self isolate, but don't have enough of anything
because of the locust mentality, will they starve, or will they continue to try and shop?
There are many people that don't have friends or family anywhere near them to shop for them..

Got the bike through its MOT a month early, just in case and bought a new crash helmet yesterday, flip front jobby so if I get out on the bike I don't have to remove my lid to take snaps. Previous lid was getting a bit long in the tooth and not flip front so not a real panic buy, but on the way back the petrol station had 4 packs of Andrex's finest, limit of 1 pack per customer.

Something that occurred to me "sensible shoppers" that suddenly find they have to self isolate, but don't have enough of anything
because of the locust mentality, will they starve, or will they continue to try and shop?
There are many people that don't have friends or family anywhere near them to shop for them..
We fall into that category plus we have an aged parent we are looking after. Sadly if one of us gets the virus and we can't get online we will have to go out and shop (or starve).

Sadly if one of us gets the virus and we can't get online we will have to go out and shop (or starve).
Slightly tongue in cheek, but with the opening hours for "vulnerable people", perhaps the supermarkets should have opening times for those with a cough ..
I wonder how many people would be brave enough to shop at these times?

Exactly what I am concerned about.
I find all this self isolating a bit of a joke when panic buyers are making multiple visits to get past the limit on the number of items they may purchase

Exactly what I am concerned about.
I find all this self isolating a bit of a joke when panic buyers are making multiple visits to get past the limit on the number of items they may purchase
It is a bit of a joke, and that's why we'll be in total lockdown shortly.

Every shop should now limit people to 1 of each product, this will stop the idiots who are stockpiling.

Every shop should now limit people to 1 of each product, this will stop the idiots who are stockpiling.
It's more likely to encourage them to spend the entire day shuttling between queue >> shop >> car repeatedly buying one of everything. Like you said, they're idiots; sheep-like panic buying they can grasp, infection control... not so much. :facepalm:

But then you would have to shop multiple times per week thereby increasing person to person contact. Supermarkets know what we buy per week, limit it to that per week.

Back